PDA

View Full Version : Treatment for a Blockage

MoMo via CatKB.com
October 10th 06, 04:16 PM
Hi everyone. I have posted previously about my cat having a blockage and now
I have a couple of ques. regarding his diet and recovery. When I took my
little guy home from the emergency vet on Saturday, the vet there never
mentioned anything to me regarding a special diet, so, he has been eating his
normal food since yesterday when I went to my normal vet where I was given
S/D Diet food to dissolve any remaining struvite crystals. My question is,
could I have caused damage to my cat by feeding him his normal food for 2 1/2
days after his blockage? He is on the S/D diet now and he hates it! I am
going back to the vet after work where he is going to give me the C/D diet
but from what I have been reading on here, my cat should stay on the S/D diet
for a couple of weeks before switching to C/D?? Thanks guys! Also, how high
is the re-occurance rate of struvite crystals if he is kept on a strict diet?

Wendy
October 10th 06, 04:34 PM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hi everyone. I have posted previously about my cat having a blockage and
> now
> I have a couple of ques. regarding his diet and recovery. When I took my
> little guy home from the emergency vet on Saturday, the vet there never
> mentioned anything to me regarding a special diet, so, he has been eating
> his
> normal food since yesterday when I went to my normal vet where I was given
> S/D Diet food to dissolve any remaining struvite crystals. My question
> is,
> could I have caused damage to my cat by feeding him his normal food for 2
> 1/2
> days after his blockage? He is on the S/D diet now and he hates it! I am
> going back to the vet after work where he is going to give me the C/D diet
> but from what I have been reading on here, my cat should stay on the S/D
> diet
> for a couple of weeks before switching to C/D?? Thanks guys! Also, how
> high
> is the re-occurance rate of struvite crystals if he is kept on a strict
> diet?

I can't speak for all cats but my nieces' cat has had no recurrences of his
urinary tract problems as long as he stays on his Rx food. She found that he
can eat other food for maybe 2 days before he starts showing symptoms again.

Rene S.
October 10th 06, 07:20 PM
Hi,

Please read this article:
http://www.catinfo.org/#Common_Feline_Health_Problems_and_Their_Ties_to_D iet_

My cat had crystals when he was about 1.5 (and I fed dry food only).
He's been on a canned or raw diet since and has had no problems (he's
8.5 now).

I'm not a fan of prescription foods. Many are barely palatable to cats
and if you read the ingredient list, it's scary what's in there.