PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions cat accepting a dog

October 12th 06, 05:19 AM
As a child which was over 25 years ago I had a daschund and when he
turned 10 years old a neighbors cat started using him as a babysitter.
The mother cat would drop off her kittens and place them at my dogs feet
while she went hunting. We adopted this cat and one of her kittens. The
mother cat and my dog were very, very close. Her daughter liked my dog
also.

I do not know if what happened during my childhood was a fluke or if
certain kind of dogs have an affinity for cats. I still find it
mysterious how she knew that is was safe to drop off her kittens at my
dogs feet. My dog was on a runner outside. If I got a new dog I would
not go down the runner path again like my parents. Well maybe not.

Now 25 years later I have had a cat who I love very much for 8 years. I
got him from the humane society he was 5 years old. I have always wanted
to get another dog. I have been going to the humane society lately and
looking at them.

My cat is now 13 years old and wonder how to get him to accept the dog.
I would love it if they became friends like my dog
and cat were when I was a teenager. But that may be asking way too
much.

I fell in love with a Siberian Husky who was exceedingly calm and loved
me taking him for walks. Our humane society lets people walk the dogs
but he failed miserably on the cat test. He thought cats were prey. I am
now debating a very calm and docile basset hound who is 4 years old..

I know dogs are pack animals and cats are not. I notice in dog and cat
books very few writeups on how to get these two species to accept each
other.

My cat is strictly an indoor cat. Not allowed outside at all. With the
dog I adopt he will of course be taken for walks.
Will this lead to jealousy from my cat?

Anyone have cats then later got a dog? How did you work it out?

Thanks.

Spot
October 12th 06, 11:57 AM
I've added dogs later to my household and I have 3 cats. I think it all
depends upon the dogs upbringing and personality traits.

The main thing is with any new dog that you don't know the history on is to
watch for signs of prey drive that could lead to the cat getting hurt. If
they have a high prey drive and chase the cat it's not going to go away and
I would be afraid to let the two of them alone unsupervised.

I would think that a basset hound would be a pretty safe bet. They aren't a
very active dog and are pretty docile. The only thing you can do it give it
a try and see if it works.

Celeste

> wrote in message
> As a child which was over 25 years ago I had a daschund and when he
> turned 10 years old a neighbors cat started using him as a babysitter.
> The mother cat would drop off her kittens and place them at my dogs feet
> while she went hunting. We adopted this cat and one of her kittens. The
> mother cat and my dog were very, very close. Her daughter liked my dog
> also.
>
> I do not know if what happened during my childhood was a fluke or if
> certain kind of dogs have an affinity for cats. I still find it
> mysterious how she knew that is was safe to drop off her kittens at my
> dogs feet. My dog was on a runner outside. If I got a new dog I would
> not go down the runner path again like my parents. Well maybe not.
>
> Now 25 years later I have had a cat who I love very much for 8 years. I
> got him from the humane society he was 5 years old. I have always wanted
> to get another dog. I have been going to the humane society lately and
> looking at them.
>
> My cat is now 13 years old and wonder how to get him to accept the dog.
> I would love it if they became friends like my dog
> and cat were when I was a teenager. But that may be asking way too
> much.
>
> I fell in love with a Siberian Husky who was exceedingly calm and loved
> me taking him for walks. Our humane society lets people walk the dogs
> but he failed miserably on the cat test. He thought cats were prey. I am
> now debating a very calm and docile basset hound who is 4 years old..
>
> I know dogs are pack animals and cats are not. I notice in dog and cat
> books very few writeups on how to get these two species to accept each
> other.
>
> My cat is strictly an indoor cat. Not allowed outside at all. With the
> dog I adopt he will of course be taken for walks.
> Will this lead to jealousy from my cat?
>
> Anyone have cats then later got a dog? How did you work it out?
>
> Thanks.

Lynne
October 12th 06, 02:13 PM
Spot wrote:
> I've added dogs later to my household and I have 3 cats. I think it all
> depends upon the dogs upbringing and personality traits.
>
> The main thing is with any new dog that you don't know the history on is to
> watch for signs of prey drive that could lead to the cat getting hurt. If
> they have a high prey drive and chase the cat it's not going to go away and
> I would be afraid to let the two of them alone unsupervised.
>
> I would think that a basset hound would be a pretty safe bet. They aren't a
> very active dog and are pretty docile. The only thing you can do it give it
> a try and see if it works.
>
> Celeste
>

> > wrote in message
> > As a child which was over 25 years ago I had a daschund and when he
> > turned 10 years old a neighbors cat started using him as a babysitter.
> > The mother cat would drop off her kittens and place them at my dogs feet
> > while she went hunting. We adopted this cat and one of her kittens. The
> > mother cat and my dog were very, very close. Her daughter liked my dog
> > also.
> >
> > I do not know if what happened during my childhood was a fluke or if
> > certain kind of dogs have an affinity for cats. I still find it
> > mysterious how she knew that is was safe to drop off her kittens at my
> > dogs feet. My dog was on a runner outside. If I got a new dog I would
> > not go down the runner path again like my parents. Well maybe not.
> >
> > Now 25 years later I have had a cat who I love very much for 8 years. I
> > got him from the humane society he was 5 years old. I have always wanted
> > to get another dog. I have been going to the humane society lately and
> > looking at them.
> >
> > My cat is now 13 years old and wonder how to get him to accept the dog.
> > I would love it if they became friends like my dog
> > and cat were when I was a teenager. But that may be asking way too
> > much.
> >
> > I fell in love with a Siberian Husky who was exceedingly calm and loved
> > me taking him for walks. Our humane society lets people walk the dogs
> > but he failed miserably on the cat test. He thought cats were prey. I am
> > now debating a very calm and docile basset hound who is 4 years old..
> >
> > I know dogs are pack animals and cats are not. I notice in dog and cat
> > books very few writeups on how to get these two species to accept each
> > other.
> >
> > My cat is strictly an indoor cat. Not allowed outside at all. With the
> > dog I adopt he will of course be taken for walks.
> > Will this lead to jealousy from my cat?
> >
> > Anyone have cats then later got a dog? How did you work it out?
> >
> > Thanks.

Another option would be to go through a rescue organization. Many
rescues put dogs in foster care where they are evaluated and trained
while waiting to be adopted. They can tell you how the dog does in a
variety of circumstances and, if the foster family has a cat or cats,
how the dog does with the cat.

You can find rescue groups in your area on petfinder.com. Check the
link at the top for rescues, put in your zip code and it will bring up
a list. It will also list shelters, but in my experience, shelters
often don't know the dog's history or it's full temperament.