PDA

View Full Version : Cats on top of microwave. Is this dangerous?

Al Kondo
October 12th 06, 10:20 PM
My two cats love to lay on top of the microwave oven in our kitchen as
we cook. My daughter suggested that it might be dangerous to the cats
because of leaking microwaves. She thought that there might be a
cancer risk. Is this a possibility?

Thanks, Al

JohnR66
October 13th 06, 12:14 AM
"Al Kondo" > wrote in message
> My two cats love to lay on top of the microwave oven in our kitchen as
> we cook. My daughter suggested that it might be dangerous to the cats
> because of leaking microwaves. She thought that there might be a
> cancer risk. Is this a possibility?
>
> Thanks, Al

No. Not even if the oven leaked a small amount. There is no authoritative
proof that microwaves cause cancer. The danger of microwaves is the heating
effect to flesh. This would require a serious leak to the oven cavity.
John