PDA

View Full Version : Blood in urine and stool of 11 year old indoor cat

janeed
October 12th 06, 11:47 PM
My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the litter
box to pee but I don't think anything really came out. Then she went and sat
in a bucket with dirty work clothes and tried to pee there, when she moved
there was 5 drops of diluted blood. Also she had blood in her stool
yesterday. Not hard poo or diarreah, but kinda soft poo. She has lost 1 or
2 lbs in the last week or so. I am thinking she doesn't like the taste of
the food though. She drinks like normal. I took her to the vet yesterday
and he said because she is allergic to fleas she is injesting them and that
is causing the blood, well what about the urine blood? And she may have
worms, and feed her wet food so she'll eat more, and get her more advantage,
and she's a little dehydrated. I took her off advantage because her skin was
getting bad and my other cat Nike doesn't have fleas either so how can she
have fleas to injest? He says she cleans herself constantly that's why we
don't see them. I havn't seen worms in her stools either. I spent $100 on
the visit, dewormer, vitamins and a tube of advantage, I think he is full of
it, anyone else? I can't afford to go to the vet for another week, but if I
have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee

Matthew
October 12th 06, 11:57 PM
I am very surprised if the cat was dehydrated that he did not put him on
fluids. Did the vet test the furball for a UTI

The worms yes by ingesting the fleas but blood in the urine.

I am thinking another vet

"janeed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
> started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the
> litter
> box to pee but I don't think anything really came out. Then she went and
> sat
> in a bucket with dirty work clothes and tried to pee there, when she moved
> there was 5 drops of diluted blood. Also she had blood in her stool
> yesterday. Not hard poo or diarreah, but kinda soft poo. She has lost 1
> or
> 2 lbs in the last week or so. I am thinking she doesn't like the taste of
> the food though. She drinks like normal. I took her to the vet yesterday
> and he said because she is allergic to fleas she is injesting them and
> that
> is causing the blood, well what about the urine blood? And she may have
> worms, and feed her wet food so she'll eat more, and get her more
> advantage,
> and she's a little dehydrated. I took her off advantage because her skin
> was
> getting bad and my other cat Nike doesn't have fleas either so how can she
> have fleas to injest? He says she cleans herself constantly that's why we
> don't see them. I havn't seen worms in her stools either. I spent $100
> on
> the visit, dewormer, vitamins and a tube of advantage, I think he is full
> of
> it, anyone else? I can't afford to go to the vet for another week, but if
> have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
> anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee

Gail
October 13th 06, 12:06 AM
She sounds like she has a urinary tract infection. See another vet.
Gail
"janeed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
> started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the
> litter
> box to pee but I don't think anything really came out. Then she went and
> sat
> in a bucket with dirty work clothes and tried to pee there, when she moved
> there was 5 drops of diluted blood. Also she had blood in her stool
> yesterday. Not hard poo or diarreah, but kinda soft poo. She has lost 1
> or
> 2 lbs in the last week or so. I am thinking she doesn't like the taste of
> the food though. She drinks like normal. I took her to the vet yesterday
> and he said because she is allergic to fleas she is injesting them and
> that
> is causing the blood, well what about the urine blood? And she may have
> worms, and feed her wet food so she'll eat more, and get her more
> advantage,
> and she's a little dehydrated. I took her off advantage because her skin
> was
> getting bad and my other cat Nike doesn't have fleas either so how can she
> have fleas to injest? He says she cleans herself constantly that's why we
> don't see them. I havn't seen worms in her stools either. I spent $100
> on
> the visit, dewormer, vitamins and a tube of advantage, I think he is full
> of
> it, anyone else? I can't afford to go to the vet for another week, but if
> have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
> anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee

Rhonda
October 13th 06, 05:56 AM
Gees, sounds like you're going through a tough time with your cat and
getting answers.

I think someone already asked -- but did they do testing to see if she
had worms? Could she have gotten into any mouse/rat poison?

Take a look at some of the answers to the bloody stool question here:
http://www.vetinfo.com/cbloodystools.html

With so much happening, I would be concerned -- especially with the
weight loss. I think she needs more tests right away and more treatment.
You were the one talking to the vet and if you have the feeling he/she
was full of it, I think I'd go with that feeling. It doesn't sound right
to me either, just from what you've said.

I hope you are able to get her in to a trust-worthy vet soon since she
is losing weight so quickly. Do you have a cat organization or someone
that can recommend a good vet?

Let us know what happens,

Rhonda

janeed wrote:
> My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
> started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the litter
> box to pee but I don't think anything really came out. Then she went and sat
> in a bucket with dirty work clothes and tried to pee there, when she moved
> there was 5 drops of diluted blood. Also she had blood in her stool
> yesterday. Not hard poo or diarreah, but kinda soft poo. She has lost 1 or
> 2 lbs in the last week or so. I am thinking she doesn't like the taste of
> the food though. She drinks like normal. I took her to the vet yesterday
> and he said because she is allergic to fleas she is injesting them and that
> is causing the blood, well what about the urine blood? And she may have
> worms, and feed her wet food so she'll eat more, and get her more advantage,
> and she's a little dehydrated. I took her off advantage because her skin was
> getting bad and my other cat Nike doesn't have fleas either so how can she
> have fleas to injest? He says she cleans herself constantly that's why we
> don't see them. I havn't seen worms in her stools either. I spent $100 on
> the visit, dewormer, vitamins and a tube of advantage, I think he is full of
> it, anyone else? I can't afford to go to the vet for another week, but if I
> have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
> anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee

MaryL
October 16th 06, 04:56 AM
"janeed" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
> started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the
> litter
> box to pee but I don't think anything really came out. Then she went and
> sat
> in a bucket with dirty work clothes and tried to pee there, when she moved
> there was 5 drops of diluted blood. Also she had blood in her stool
> yesterday. Not hard poo or diarreah, but kinda soft poo. She has lost 1
> or
> 2 lbs in the last week or so. I am thinking she doesn't like the taste of
> the food though. She drinks like normal. I took her to the vet yesterday
> and he said because she is allergic to fleas she is injesting them and
> that
> is causing the blood, well what about the urine blood? And she may have
> worms, and feed her wet food so she'll eat more, and get her more
> advantage,
> and she's a little dehydrated. I took her off advantage because her skin
> was
> getting bad and my other cat Nike doesn't have fleas either so how can she
> have fleas to injest? He says she cleans herself constantly that's why we
> don't see them. I havn't seen worms in her stools either. I spent $100
> on
> the visit, dewormer, vitamins and a tube of advantage, I think he is full
> of
> it, anyone else? I can't afford to go to the vet for another week, but if
> have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
> anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee

This sounds like classic symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infection). If your
vet didn't check after that type of description, I would consult another
vet. Please do it immediately, even if you have to borrow the money or
arrange for delayed payments. UTI can be easily treated in the early
stages, but can rapidly progress if left untreated, and can possibly be
fatal.

MaryL

Rene S.
October 18th 06, 02:53 PM
Rhonda wrote:
> Gees, sounds like you're going through a tough time with your cat and
> getting answers.
>
> I think someone already asked -- but did they do testing to see if she
> had worms? Could she have gotten into any mouse/rat poison?
>
> Take a look at some of the answers to the bloody stool question here:
> http://www.vetinfo.com/cbloodystools.html
>
> With so much happening, I would be concerned -- especially with the
> weight loss. I think she needs more tests right away and more treatment.
> You were the one talking to the vet and if you have the feeling he/she
> was full of it, I think I'd go with that feeling. It doesn't sound right
> to me either, just from what you've said.
>
> I hope you are able to get her in to a trust-worthy vet soon since she
> is losing weight so quickly. Do you have a cat organization or someone
> that can recommend a good vet?
>
> Let us know what happens,
>
> Rhonda

I completely agree with this. Trust your gut and don't go to this vet
anymore. I've had to switch vets twice in the last five years for
similar reasons. You are your cat's "voice," and clearly there is more
wrong here than worms/fleas.

A good vet will also let you make payments or delay payment for a week
if money isn't available. Just be honest about your money situation
upfront.

Rene

janeed via CatKB.com
October 19th 06, 11:07 PM
Hello and thanks for the responses. I don't know what the problem was, but
all the blood is gone. We took her for her follow up yesterday and she seems
less dehydrated due to the canned food. Thank you again! Janee

MaryL wrote:
>> My cat Fila is an 11 year old female indoor cat. About a week ago she
>> started to have blood in her urine. Yesterday she kept going to the
>[quoted text clipped - 24 lines]
>> have to I will borrow money, does this sound like a familiar situation to
>> anyone? Thanks in advance. Janee
>
>This sounds like classic symptoms of UTI (urinary tract infection). If your
>vet didn't check after that type of description, I would consult another
>vet. Please do it immediately, even if you have to borrow the money or
>arrange for delayed payments. UTI can be easily treated in the early
>stages, but can rapidly progress if left untreated, and can possibly be
>fatal.
>
>MaryL

FurPaws
October 20th 06, 12:06 AM
"A good vet will also let you make payments or delay payment for a week

if money isn't available. Just be honest about your money situation
upfront. "

~~~~~ I am sorry but this statement is very wrong,I work for 3 very
good vets and we expect payment in full at time of visit.If you have
been a client for a long time we might let you charge.