PDA

View Full Version : Found out what's wrong with Ana

Snittens
October 13th 06, 12:57 AM
Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

Kelly

Matthew
October 13th 06, 01:06 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section
> of her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for
> a few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she
> had a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and
> caused adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a
> much better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly
Happy thoughts

Purrs and prayers being sent at least you know now :-)

meeee
October 13th 06, 01:20 AM
"Phew' I know that's hard; surgery is no fun for anyone, but what a relief
it's not lymphoma!! Good luck with the surgery~!!

"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section
> of her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for
> a few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she
> had a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and
> caused adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a
> much better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

blkcatgal
October 13th 06, 04:38 AM
Hope all goes well for Ana. Keep us posted.

Sue

"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section
> of her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for
> a few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she
> had a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and
> caused adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a
> much better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

Rhonda
October 13th 06, 05:42 AM
Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?

You're right, that is much better than cancer or lots of other things.

She must have been throwing up when she got backed up. That's what
happened with Sweeter, they get enough in them and it's like poison in
their systems.

Sweeter will probably have diarrhea now the rest of her life but I'm
happy every time I see her in the litter box. It was stressful for all
of us before the surgery.

Hope everything goes well for her.

Take care,

Rhonda

Snittens wrote:
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
> adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

mlbriggs
October 13th 06, 06:15 AM
On Thu, 12 Oct 2006 19:57:35 -0400, Snittens wrote:

> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
> adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

Sending lots of purrs for
Ana's successful surgery. MLB

-L.
October 13th 06, 06:42 AM
Snittens wrote:
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
> adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

Sheesh! That poor kitty has gone through hell. I am glad you have an
answer - hope she has a quick recovery.

-L.

Wendy
October 13th 06, 01:43 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
> can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?
>
> You're right, that is much better than cancer or lots of other things.
>
> She must have been throwing up when she got backed up. That's what
> happened with Sweeter, they get enough in them and it's like poison in
> their systems.
>
> Sweeter will probably have diarrhea now the rest of her life but I'm happy
> every time I see her in the litter box. It was stressful for all of us
> before the surgery.
>
> Hope everything goes well for her.
>
> Take care,
>
> Rhonda

I wouldn't figure on permanent diarrhea yet. I've talked to a number of
people who's pets (cats and dogs) have had sections of their bowel and
intestines removed and they all say it takes a number of months for them to
recover and for the digestive tract to adjust. In many cases they do not end
up with permanent diarrhea.

What kind of food do they have you feeding her? When my foster, Molly, had
her intususseption removed (11" of Ileum) she had to be on strictly wet food
for the first 3-4 months or she had horrible diarrhea which was very
irritating to her bum. Then I was able to get her to eat Eucanuba Chicken
and Rice dry in addition to the wet (she always seemed hungry on the wet
only and wasn't gaining weight which she needed). She did really well on
that, put on the weight she needed and was adopted shortly afterwards.

Wendy

Snittens
October 13th 06, 04:03 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
> can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?

No, just the section that's not working properly. I won't know how much was
removed until it's over. I hope it's not a whole lot, and she is back to
normal soon.

Kelly

Rhonda
October 13th 06, 04:27 PM
Wendy wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
>>can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?
>>
>>You're right, that is much better than cancer or lots of other things.
>>
>>She must have been throwing up when she got backed up. That's what
>>happened with Sweeter, they get enough in them and it's like poison in
>>their systems.
>>
>>Sweeter will probably have diarrhea now the rest of her life but I'm happy
>>every time I see her in the litter box. It was stressful for all of us
>>before the surgery.
>>
>>Hope everything goes well for her.
>>
>>Take care,
>>
>>Rhonda
>>

> I wouldn't figure on permanent diarrhea yet. I've talked to a number of
> people who's pets (cats and dogs) have had sections of their bowel and
> intestines removed and they all say it takes a number of months for them to
> recover and for the digestive tract to adjust. In many cases they do not end
> up with permanent diarrhea.
>
> What kind of food do they have you feeding her? When my foster, Molly, had
> her intususseption removed (11" of Ileum) she had to be on strictly wet food
> for the first 3-4 months or she had horrible diarrhea which was very
> irritating to her bum. Then I was able to get her to eat Eucanuba Chicken
> and Rice dry in addition to the wet (she always seemed hungry on the wet
> only and wasn't gaining weight which she needed). She did really well on
> that, put on the weight she needed and was adopted shortly afterwards.
>
> Wendy

Sweeter actually had her entire colon removed, not just a section. She
had megacolon.

The colon is where the water normally would be removed and the feces
formed. The surgeon did tell me that once in awhile a cat who has their
colon removed will have stools that become more solid because their
small intestines learn to start taking over that function. That just
amazed me. They have no idea how they do it.

Actually, I found a good clumping litter and we're okay with whatever
happens. I'm just so glad she is still with us.

Sweeter is on a low residue diet, Eukanuba. She eats canned and I leave
dry out for her all of the time. The vet's 2nd choice after low residue
is high fiber, but she's doing okay on this. She gained a pound and is
just a little short of her starting weight. She is on a potassium
supplement since that was low, probably due to the diarrhea.

Rhonda

Rhonda
October 13th 06, 04:28 PM
Snittens wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Wow, that's a big surgery, but I'm glad they found out what's wrong and
>>can fix it! Is she having her entire colon removed?
>

> No, just the section that's not working properly. I won't know how much was
> removed until it's over. I hope it's not a whole lot, and she is back to
> normal soon.

That's good news.

Hope she's bouncing around the house again soon!

Rhonda

Rene S.
October 13th 06, 09:12 PM
Snittens wrote:
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
> adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

Oh, what a relief to know what's going on! Here's to a quick recovery!

Lynne
October 14th 06, 01:26 AM
Snittens wrote:
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn). A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and caused
> adhesions. The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.
>
> Kelly

I hope Ana's surgery goes well tomorrow. I know it will be tough on
both of you, but soon she will be feeling SO much better!! Let us know
how she is doing after the procedure.

Phil P.
October 14th 06, 09:59 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message
> Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn).

Hi Kelly,

I'm coming into the thread late- I think he meant "adynamic ileus".

A section of
> her intestine is working intermittenly, which explains why she fine for a
> few days, and then sick again. The vet thinks it might be from when she
had
> a foreign body removed last year, scar tissue might have resulted and
caused
> adhesions.

That's very likely possibility. Been there.

The bowel resection is going to be on Saturday.
> Although of course I wish Ana didn't have to undergo surgery, this is a
much
> better diagnosis than IBD or lymphoma, like we were thinking.

In your previous thread you mentioned that her vomit smelled awful. Her
vomit smells awful- like poop- because intestinal obstructions changes the
microflora in the intestines to the same that's in poop. One of the most
dangerous things about intestinal obstructions is bacteria overgrowth which
can cause endotoxic shock. I don't want to shake you up- but- I hope your
vet put her on broad spectrum antibiotics that cover aerobic and anaerobic
bacteria for a few days before surgery.

Send me a working email address and I'll send you a pdf that explains the
whole thing in detail.

Phil

tension_on_the_wire
October 14th 06, 11:06 PM
Phil P. wrote:
> "Snittens" > wrote in message
> > Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She has a
> > dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn).
>
> Hi Kelly,
>
> I'm coming into the thread late- I think he meant "adynamic ileus".

Not that it matters, but I suppose an intermittent adynamic ileus
would,
in fact, result in a dynamic bowel obstruction, no? Perhaps both
terminologies are actually correct.

--tension

Snittens
October 15th 06, 12:01 AM
"Phil P." > wrote

> Send me a working email address and I'll send you a pdf that explains the
> whole thing in detail.
>
> Phil

Sending you an email right now. Thanks, I would like to know more in depth
about this.
She was on Clavamox, don't know how broad spectrum that is. Surgery took
place this morning, I'll update in a new thread.

Kelly

Phil P.
October 16th 06, 11:33 AM
"Snittens" > wrote in message

> "Phil P." > wrote
> >
> > Send me a working email address and I'll send you a pdf that explains
the
> > whole thing in detail.
> >
> > Phil
> >

> Sending you an email right now.

Where did you send it? (topcatAtmaxshouseDOTcom)

Thanks, I would like to know more in depth
> about this.
> She was on Clavamox, don't know how broad spectrum that is.

Good enough. She'll need a potassium supplement too.

Surgery took
> place this morning, I'll update in a new thread.
>
> Kelly

I wish her a speedy recovery.

Phil

Phil P.
October 16th 06, 11:33 AM
"tension_on_the_wire" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> Phil P. wrote:
> > "Snittens" > wrote in message
> > > Ana had the ultrasound today, and we finally know what's wrong. She
has a
> > > dynamic bowel obstruction (I think that is the correct turn).
> >
> > Hi Kelly,
> >
> > I'm coming into the thread late- I think he meant "adynamic ileus".
>
> Not that it matters,

It seems to matter to you.

but I suppose an intermittent adynamic ileus
> would,
> in fact, result in a dynamic bowel obstruction, no? Perhaps both
> terminologies are actually correct.

Since the obstruction occurred as a result of abdominal surgery, "adynamic
ileus" is the correct term.