PDA

View Full Version : Something under chin

AK
October 13th 06, 10:12 PM
I don't know where to even start explaining this. I have noticed over the
last few weeks that my cat has what looks like black grit on his chin. At
first I thought it was flea dirt (even though I use frontline) but I combed
him and there was no fleas, he has been re-treated and but he still gets
this black gritty stuff in the fur of his chin. Anybody got any ideas what
it could be? It's not bothering him, just me!!

TIA

Angela

Matthew
October 13th 06, 10:32 PM
Acne do you use plastic bowl for water dishes or food dishes if so try
stainless steel. My spirit had this till I changed to hard bowls

"AK" > wrote in message
om...
>I don't know where to even start explaining this. I have noticed over the
>last few weeks that my cat has what looks like black grit on his chin. At
>first I thought it was flea dirt (even though I use frontline) but I combed
>him and there was no fleas, he has been re-treated and but he still gets
>this black gritty stuff in the fur of his chin. Anybody got any ideas what
>it could be? It's not bothering him, just me!!
>
> TIA
>
> Angela

AK
October 13th 06, 10:35 PM
"Matthew" > wrote in message
. ..
> Acne do you use plastic bowl for water dishes or food dishes if so try
> stainless steel. My spirit had this till I changed to hard bowls

Nope he has metal bowls.....and it's not attached to his skin at
all.........when I clean it off his skin is fine underneath!

cybercat
October 14th 06, 12:17 AM
"AK" > wrote in message

> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> Acne do you use plastic bowl for water dishes or food dishes if so
>> try stainless steel. My spirit had this till I changed to hard bowls
>
> Nope he has metal bowls.....and it's not attached to his skin at
> all.........when I clean it off his skin is fine underneath!

Is he getting into something, playing with something that has this stuff on
it?

Rene S.
October 17th 06, 05:49 PM
AK wrote:
> "Matthew" > wrote in message
> . ..
> > Acne do you use plastic bowl for water dishes or food dishes if so try
> > stainless steel. My spirit had this till I changed to hard bowls
>
> Nope he has metal bowls.....and it's not attached to his skin at
> all.........when I clean it off his skin is fine underneath!

Yes, this is called "kitty acne." I had problems with plastic AND metal
bowls. Using ceramic works the best for me. You can clean his chin by
gently rubbing with a wash cloth and a tiny bit of baby soap (liquid
baby soap like Johnson & Johnson). I'll "rinse" with dampened a wash
cloth. Usually once per day is enough.

Some people have suggested washing with peroxide or Bactrim, but I
found those too harsh for their sensitive skin.