PDA

View Full Version : Lilly's Bladder infection...

bnh0728
October 14th 06, 02:39 AM
Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
how we can make her more comfortable there?

Thanks

meeee
October 14th 06, 02:56 AM
"bnh0728" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> how we can make her more comfortable there?
>
> Thanks

Regular visits and cuddles. A scratching post or old bit of carpet stapled
to a piece of chipboard. Treats. Lots of treats. Just joking, probably not
too many if she's ill. If it's cold where you are, a heater of some sort
(everyone else here knows which ones to use better than me, I'm in the
tropics. ask if you need to know). Some other posters have suggested a pet
drinking fountain for cats with bladder problems, as the fresh oxygenated
water encourages them to drink more often, that is crucial for a bladder
infected cat. Again, ask the experts; they can tell you how much and where
to buy. If your vet hasn't told you, hopefully they have, give her a good
quality pet food specifically for bladder health. Hope she feels better
soon!!

bnh0728
October 14th 06, 03:13 AM
Thank you for the swift reply. Visits and cuddles won't be a prob, as
she is so sweet even when she is sick. Next, we're in TX so we actually
opened the A/C vent in that room for her. The scratching post is a
good suggestion, and we will get one tomorrow. Got the right pet food
per the vet. I like the drinking fountain idea, not sure we can afford
it. Would love to know who the "experts" are and how we can reach
them.
Thanks again you for your quick post.

meeee wrote:
> "bnh0728" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> > while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> > and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> > how we can make her more comfortable there?
> >
> > Thanks
> >
> Regular visits and cuddles. A scratching post or old bit of carpet stapled
> to a piece of chipboard. Treats. Lots of treats. Just joking, probably not
> too many if she's ill. If it's cold where you are, a heater of some sort
> (everyone else here knows which ones to use better than me, I'm in the
> tropics. ask if you need to know). Some other posters have suggested a pet
> drinking fountain for cats with bladder problems, as the fresh oxygenated
> water encourages them to drink more often, that is crucial for a bladder
> infected cat. Again, ask the experts; they can tell you how much and where
> to buy. If your vet hasn't told you, hopefully they have, give her a good
> quality pet food specifically for bladder health. Hope she feels better
> soon!!

meeee
October 14th 06, 03:35 AM
No worries! I'm sure she's getting heaps of cuddles :) The 'experts' are all
the others on this ng who know where to get stuff; a few work have cats or
have had cats with that condition, so will be able to give you the 'tricks
of the trade' Ok. Pet fountains; just quickly googled. This is the one most
people on here (not me unfortunately, I'm not that evolved yet)
http://www.petfountain.com/dpfcats.asp

Here's a website you can buy it at ($33 +p&h)
http://www.smarthome.com/6101d.html

And here's a list of a few more, ranging in price from 8.99 to $90+
Hope that helps!
"bnh0728" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thank you for the swift reply. Visits and cuddles won't be a prob, as
> she is so sweet even when she is sick. Next, we're in TX so we actually
> opened the A/C vent in that room for her. The scratching post is a
> good suggestion, and we will get one tomorrow. Got the right pet food
> per the vet. I like the drinking fountain idea, not sure we can afford
> it. Would love to know who the "experts" are and how we can reach
> them.
> Thanks again you for your quick post.
>
> meeee wrote:
>> "bnh0728" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
>> > while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
>> > and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
>> > how we can make her more comfortable there?
>> >
>> > Thanks
>> >
>> Regular visits and cuddles. A scratching post or old bit of carpet
>> stapled
>> to a piece of chipboard. Treats. Lots of treats. Just joking, probably
>> not
>> too many if she's ill. If it's cold where you are, a heater of some sort
>> (everyone else here knows which ones to use better than me, I'm in the
>> tropics. ask if you need to know). Some other posters have suggested a
>> pet
>> drinking fountain for cats with bladder problems, as the fresh oxygenated
>> water encourages them to drink more often, that is crucial for a bladder
>> infected cat. Again, ask the experts; they can tell you how much and
>> where
>> to buy. If your vet hasn't told you, hopefully they have, give her a good
>> quality pet food specifically for bladder health. Hope she feels better
>> soon!!

Rhonda
October 14th 06, 04:50 AM
How about a round cat bed for her to cuddle in?

Rhonda

bnh0728 wrote:
> Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> how we can make her more comfortable there?
>
> Thanks

bnh0728
October 14th 06, 05:14 AM
Thanks Meeee, you've been a great help in a short time. I want her to
have it (the fountain) fast and found one on petsmart.com. Hope
they'll have it in-store tomorrow. About $40. Note: She's worth it
for me b/c I really didn't like cats untill this stray chose us for a
family. Now I'm sold on cats! All my thanks.

meeee wrote:
> No worries! I'm sure she's getting heaps of cuddles :) The 'experts' are all
> the others on this ng who know where to get stuff; a few work have cats or
> have had cats with that condition, so will be able to give you the 'tricks
> of the trade' Ok. Pet fountains; just quickly googled. This is the one most
> people on here (not me unfortunately, I'm not that evolved yet)
> http://www.petfountain.com/dpfcats.asp
>
> Here's a website you can buy it at ($33 +p&h)
> http://www.smarthome.com/6101d.html
>
> And here's a list of a few more, ranging in price from 8.99 to $90+
> Hope that helps!
> "bnh0728" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Thank you for the swift reply. Visits and cuddles won't be a prob, as
> > she is so sweet even when she is sick. Next, we're in TX so we actually
> > opened the A/C vent in that room for her. The scratching post is a
> > good suggestion, and we will get one tomorrow. Got the right pet food
> > per the vet. I like the drinking fountain idea, not sure we can afford
> > it. Would love to know who the "experts" are and how we can reach
> > them.
> > Thanks again you for your quick post.
> >
> > meeee wrote:
> >> "bnh0728" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...

> >> Regular visits and cuddles. A scratching post or old bit of carpet
> >> stapled
> >> to a piece of chipboard. Treats. Lots of treats. Just joking, probably
> >> not
> >> too many if she's ill. If it's cold where you are, a heater of some sort
> >> (everyone else here knows which ones to use better than me, I'm in the
> >> tropics. ask if you need to know). Some other posters have suggested a
> >> pet
> >> drinking fountain for cats with bladder problems, as the fresh oxygenated
> >> water encourages them to drink more often, that is crucial for a bladder
> >> infected cat. Again, ask the experts; they can tell you how much and
> >> where
> >> to buy. If your vet hasn't told you, hopefully they have, give her a good
> >> quality pet food specifically for bladder health. Hope she feels better
> >> soon!!

bnh0728
October 14th 06, 05:24 AM
Thanks Rhonda. That makes sense and we'll look at cat beds while we
look at water fountains. Funny thing about that, long before the
infection we would drape a bedsheet over an end-table for a "tent" for
Lilly, with another sheet bunched up inside. She really liked that,
and spent alot of time in there. Thanks for reminding me. Perhaps a
tent and a bed would help her get through the week.
Thanks again Rhonda.

Rhonda wrote:
> How about a round cat bed for her to cuddle in?
>
> Rhonda
>
> bnh0728 wrote:
> > Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> > while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> > and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> > how we can make her more comfortable there?
> >
> > Thanks

mlbriggs
October 14th 06, 06:20 AM
On Fri, 13 Oct 2006 18:39:24 -0700, bnh0728 wrote:

> Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> how we can make her more comfortable there?
>
> Thanks

Can you put a small radio in there to keep her company? Whenever I leave
the house, I leave a radio on either soft music or a talk station so my
cat won't feel so alone. Good luck. MLB

tension_on_the_wire
October 14th 06, 11:20 PM
bnh0728 wrote:
> Thanks Meeee, you've been a great help in a short time. I want her to
> have it (the fountain) fast and found one on petsmart.com. Hope
> they'll have it in-store tomorrow. About $40. Note: She's worth it
> for me b/c I really didn't like cats untill this stray chose us for a
> family. Now I'm sold on cats! All my thanks.

Aw, you know what? I bet she doesn't wanna go outside
anymore after all this!!

Glad to have another convert!

--tension

meeee
October 15th 06, 08:17 AM
I always love hearing stories like that! Sometimes there just has to be a
special cat for you before you'll enjoy cats. I am so glad she's getting so
well looked after, and hope you have many more happy years with her. Oh, and
if there are photos, we looove kitty pics on here!!

"bnh0728" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Thanks Meeee, you've been a great help in a short time. I want her to
> have it (the fountain) fast and found one on petsmart.com. Hope
> they'll have it in-store tomorrow. About $40. Note: She's worth it
> for me b/c I really didn't like cats untill this stray chose us for a
> family. Now I'm sold on cats! All my thanks.
>
> meeee wrote:
>> No worries! I'm sure she's getting heaps of cuddles :) The 'experts' are
>> all
>> the others on this ng who know where to get stuff; a few work have cats
>> or
>> have had cats with that condition, so will be able to give you the
>> 'tricks
>> of the trade' Ok. Pet fountains; just quickly googled. This is the one
>> most
>> people on here (not me unfortunately, I'm not that evolved yet)
>> http://www.petfountain.com/dpfcats.asp
>>
>> Here's a website you can buy it at ($33 +p&h)
>> http://www.smarthome.com/6101d.html
>>
>> And here's a list of a few more, ranging in price from 8.99 to $90+
>> Hope that helps!
>> "bnh0728" > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>> > Thank you for the swift reply. Visits and cuddles won't be a prob, as
>> > she is so sweet even when she is sick. Next, we're in TX so we actually
>> > opened the A/C vent in that room for her. The scratching post is a
>> > good suggestion, and we will get one tomorrow. Got the right pet food
>> > per the vet. I like the drinking fountain idea, not sure we can afford
>> > it. Would love to know who the "experts" are and how we can reach
>> > them.
>> > Thanks again you for your quick post.

Rene S.
October 17th 06, 05:44 PM
bnh0728 wrote:
> Inside/Outside cat. Vet told my wife to keep her inside for a week,
> while we administer oral meds 2/day. Keeping her in one room w/litter
> and food/water, so she doesn't pee everywhere else. Any suggestions on
> how we can make her more comfortable there?
>
> Thanks

How about a covered cat bed, so she can hide away if she feels like it.
It can be as simple as a cardboard box with a towel draped over it.