PDA

View Full Version : Flehming Reaction: Cause?


Tony R
October 14th 06, 03:25 AM
After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
"flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
bed. The weird thing is:

1) there's obviously no urine there, and
2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).

Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?

Thanks,
Tony R.

Judy
October 14th 06, 04:49 AM
"Tony R" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> bed. The weird thing is:
>
> 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>
> Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
> anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?

Your cat is exhibiting normal behaviour upon coming across an intense odor.
Why don't you clean that spot in the bed?

Rhonda
October 14th 06, 04:59 AM
Neutering won't stop the flehming, that's just something they do to
process a smell.

There's an intense odor (to him) in that particular spot. It may be
something humans cannot smell.

I think the only way to stop it is to have the item cleaned. His
response is nothing to worry about though, it's actually entertaining to
watch a cat make that face.

Rhonda

Tony R wrote:
> After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> bed. The weird thing is:
>
> 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>
> Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
> anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?
>
> Thanks,
> Tony R.
>

Phil P.
October 14th 06, 10:20 AM
"Tony R" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> bed. The weird thing is:
>
> 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).

You have a female wife- right? Is the spot where he flehmens on her side of
the bed? --or where you get together? ;)

>
> Is there any other possible cause for this?

Nope. He smells something interesting and flehmens for more information.
Flehmen lets the cat taste the smell. Some cats do it with catnip.


Do we need to worry about
> anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?


Why do you want to stop it?

October 14th 06, 12:42 PM
Tony R wrote:
> After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> bed. The weird thing is:
>
> 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>
> Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
> anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?
>


Both males and females do this. You may not see or smell something, but
there is an odor present there. I usually take it as a clue that
something needs to clean. Usually it means somebody got sick or peed
there.

I wouldn't want to get rid of the behavior. If somebody has peed on my
bed, I'd rather see the cat react to it a few hours before bedtime than
when I get ready for bed and find out I need to clean a mess.

I also check out pawing behavior. They will often paw like they are
covering something up if they come across a hair ball or a piece of
poop that fell off late.

Tony R
October 14th 06, 02:37 PM
Sounds good. Thanks everyone! I didn't want to get rid of his behavior
unless it was harmful or bad.

As long as he's reacting to a smell, and not wanting to pee there, it's
all good. :)

Thanks again for all your help.

P.S. Yes, I have a female wife. Yes, it's on her side of the bed. I'll
spare details...:P

cybercat
October 14th 06, 08:22 PM
"Tony R" > wrote
> After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> bed. The weird thing is:
>
> 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>
> Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
> anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?
>

My female does this to towels that my husband has placed
on top of the hamper--and they are always towels he has used
err, a few times more than *I* would use a towel, and for
God Knows What purpose, know what I mean?

8*/

She never does it to my towels. The only other time I see her do
this is when she is washing her butt.

lol

yngver
October 24th 06, 04:13 PM
On Oct 14, 2:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> "Tony R" > wrote
>
> > After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
> > "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
> > bed. The weird thing is:
>
> > 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
> > 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>
> > Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
> > anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?My female does this to towels that my husband has placed
> on top of the hamper--and they are always towels he has used
> err, a few times more than *I* would use a towel, and for
> God Knows What purpose, know what I mean?
>
> 8*/
>
> She never does it to my towels. The only other time I see her do
> this is when she is washing her butt.
>
> lol

That's right, I wouldn't assume it's something the cat smells that is
not part of his own body. One of our cats does do this while grooming
herself. Sometimes the cats exhibit the flehman response after sniffing
each other.

My husband's dirty socks on the floor, that's another matter. None of
them do it with towels, but one of our cats will roll around on a used
towel. Sometimes it's because they like the scent, not because it's
offensive in some way.

I wouldn't worry about whatever is causing the flehman response.
-yngver

cybercat
October 24th 06, 06:35 PM
"yngver" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>
>
> On Oct 14, 2:22 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
>> "Tony R" > wrote
>>
>> > After some googling (and Wikipedia-ing), we realized that our cat is
>> > "flehming." He's done it several times at one particular spot in the
>> > bed. The weird thing is:
>>
>> > 1) there's obviously no urine there, and
>> > 2) we have no female cats (or any other pets, for that matter).
>>
>> > Is there any other possible cause for this? Do we need to worry about
>> > anything? He needs to get neutered soon - will that stop it?My female
>> > does this to towels that my husband has placed
>> on top of the hamper--and they are always towels he has used
>> err, a few times more than *I* would use a towel, and for
>> God Knows What purpose, know what I mean?
>>
>> 8*/
>>
>> She never does it to my towels. The only other time I see her do
>> this is when she is washing her butt.
>>
>> lol
>
> That's right, I wouldn't assume it's something the cat smells that is
> not part of his own body. One of our cats does do this while grooming
> herself. Sometimes the cats exhibit the flehman response after sniffing
> each other.
>
> My husband's dirty socks on the floor, that's another matter. None of
> them do it with towels, but one of our cats will roll around on a used
> towel. Sometimes it's because they like the scent, not because it's
> offensive in some way.
>
> I wouldn't worry about whatever is causing the flehman response.
> -yngver
>

Me either. I think it is adorable, especially in a tiny 7-lb cat. I do
take it as a hint to shampoo the kitchen carpet or get those
towels to the laundry!