PDA

View Full Version : Housetrained Kitty

October 15th 06, 01:07 AM
So I've had this cat for a while now. She came as a young, underfed,
wild cat to my house on Dec. 2. We fed her and then she wanted out so
we let her out. Then she just started meowing outside so eventually she
stayed inside. Anyway, fast forward to today. She's gained some weight
(which leads to her name, 'Pudgy') but the weird thing is... she
doesn't have a litter box, she stays inside about 19 hours a day and
she's *never* had an accident inside the house. Any time she needs to
go to the bathrooom she goes to the door and meows and we let her out.
Also, she's never scratched anything in the house or puked a hairball.

This is the first cat for everyone in the family... is this normal?

Buddy's Mom
October 15th 06, 01:24 AM
You are lucky so far - this may be normal for a young cat, but not as
they age.

Keep her inside and get her a litter pan, please?

wrote:
> So I've had this cat for a while now. She came as a young, underfed,
> wild cat to my house on Dec. 2. We fed her and then she wanted out so
> we let her out. Then she just started meowing outside so eventually she
> stayed inside. Anyway, fast forward to today. She's gained some weight
> (which leads to her name, 'Pudgy') but the weird thing is... she
> doesn't have a litter box, she stays inside about 19 hours a day and
> she's *never* had an accident inside the house. Any time she needs to
> go to the bathrooom she goes to the door and meows and we let her out.
> Also, she's never scratched anything in the house or puked a hairball.
>
> This is the first cat for everyone in the family... is this normal?

Rhonda
October 15th 06, 06:54 AM
That is pretty unusual. I think it would be wise though to get her a
litter box. She doesn't have a choice right now and if you're not home,
she may hold it too long. Cats get bladder infections and colon problems
when they don't go often enough.

She does sound like a very good cat.

Rhonda

wrote:
> So I've had this cat for a while now. She came as a young, underfed,
> wild cat to my house on Dec. 2. We fed her and then she wanted out so
> we let her out. Then she just started meowing outside so eventually she
> stayed inside. Anyway, fast forward to today. She's gained some weight
> (which leads to her name, 'Pudgy') but the weird thing is... she
> doesn't have a litter box, she stays inside about 19 hours a day and
> she's *never* had an accident inside the house. Any time she needs to
> go to the bathrooom she goes to the door and meows and we let her out.
> Also, she's never scratched anything in the house or puked a hairball.
>
> This is the first cat for everyone in the family... is this normal?

Gail Futoran
October 15th 06, 02:22 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> So I've had this cat for a while now. She came as a young, underfed,
> wild cat to my house on Dec. 2. We fed her and then she wanted out so
> we let her out. Then she just started meowing outside so eventually she
> stayed inside. Anyway, fast forward to today. She's gained some weight
> (which leads to her name, 'Pudgy') but the weird thing is... she
> doesn't have a litter box, she stays inside about 19 hours a day and
> she's *never* had an accident inside the house. Any time she needs to
> go to the bathrooom she goes to the door and meows and we let her out.
> Also, she's never scratched anything in the house or puked a hairball.
>
> This is the first cat for everyone in the family... is this normal?

She needs a litter box. She might not take to it right away. When we had a
stray in the neighborhood I noticed she was doing her business in my rose
garden - using the mulch as litter. When we adopted her, I put the usual
Tidy Cats scoopable litter in the litter box, but sprinkled the top with
mulch from the garden. Over a week or so I was able to transition her to
plain litter.

You might pick up a couple of cheap Sterlite underbed storage containers and
put litter with mulch or dirt or whatever you think she's using outside on
the top of the litter. Give her a chance, and I'm guessing she'll take to
the litter box.

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
and the new kids Jasper, Jasmine (to be renamed eventually)