PDA

View Full Version : My cat's poop is REALLY stinky

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 15th 06, 03:41 PM
I know this is a gross topic but we're all friends right? My 13 month old
cat, which I adopted about a month ago has UNNATURALLY stinky poop.
Seriously. We have another cat and I've had cats in the past and never
encountered something like this.

My boyfriend who adores this cat is so disturbed by the situation that he
said if we can't solve this problem we may need to give him up because "I
can't live like this". It's so embarrassing that we can't invite people over
for fear that stewie will do something disturbingly stinky.

Here's what I'm feeding him - science diet "advanced formula" that I got at
the vet's office - the vet says its a quality cat food. The package says
it's for "adult cats" from 1-7. do you think that perhaps he needs kitten
food? my other cat also eats the same food without issue.

I adopted the cat from the vet's office - he has received all of his shots
and was given a clean bill of health when I adopted him - which wasn't that
long ago. fyi - the cat is neutered.

I'm worried that he's sick - or that the food is too intense for him. I will
be seeing my vet for my other cat on tuesday for an unrealted issue with my
other cat- but I'm wondering if I could get some advice now.

Lynne
October 15th 06, 03:46 PM
On Oct 15, 10:41 am, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I know this is a gross topic but we're all friends right? My 13 month old
> cat, which I adopted about a month ago has UNNATURALLY stinky poop.
> Seriously. We have another cat and I've had cats in the past and never
> encountered something like this.
>
> My boyfriend who adores this cat is so disturbed by the situation that he
> said if we can't solve this problem we may need to give him up because "I
> can't live like this". It's so embarrassing that we can't invite people over
> for fear that stewie will do something disturbingly stinky.
>
> Here's what I'm feeding him - science diet "advanced formula" that I got at
> the vet's office - the vet says its a quality cat food. The package says
> it's for "adult cats" from 1-7. do you think that perhaps he needs kitten
> food? my other cat also eats the same food without issue.
>
> I adopted the cat from the vet's office - he has received all of his shots
> and was given a clean bill of health when I adopted him - which wasn't that
> long ago. fyi - the cat is neutered.
>
> I'm worried that he's sick - or that the food is too intense for him. I will
> be seeing my vet for my other cat on tuesday for an unrealted issue with my
> other cat- but I'm wondering if I could get some advice now.

perhaps he isn't drinking enough water? A fountain may help to get him
better hydrated.

Or he could have worms. One mistake even vets make on occasion is
failing to retreat worms a month after the initial deworming.

Buddy's Mom
October 15th 06, 04:17 PM
Royal Canin has a hard food that is supposed to help lesson the smell -
give it a try.

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
> I know this is a gross topic but we're all friends right? My 13 month old
> cat, which I adopted about a month ago has UNNATURALLY stinky poop.
> Seriously. We have another cat and I've had cats in the past and never
> encountered something like this.
>
> My boyfriend who adores this cat is so disturbed by the situation that he
> said if we can't solve this problem we may need to give him up because "I
> can't live like this". It's so embarrassing that we can't invite people over
> for fear that stewie will do something disturbingly stinky.
>
> Here's what I'm feeding him - science diet "advanced formula" that I got at
> the vet's office - the vet says its a quality cat food. The package says
> it's for "adult cats" from 1-7. do you think that perhaps he needs kitten
> food? my other cat also eats the same food without issue.
>
> I adopted the cat from the vet's office - he has received all of his shots
> and was given a clean bill of health when I adopted him - which wasn't that
> long ago. fyi - the cat is neutered.
>
> I'm worried that he's sick - or that the food is too intense for him. I will
> be seeing my vet for my other cat on tuesday for an unrealted issue with my
> other cat- but I'm wondering if I could get some advice now.

Stacey Weinberger
October 15th 06, 07:59 PM
Some cats can't tolerate dry food and it upsets their digestive systems
because of the grains in them and gives them gas and soft stiools. If you
have to fee dry food, try to find a dry food with as much meat in the
ingredients as possible. Meat should be the first ingredient, not a grain.
If that doesn't work, you'll have to switch to canned. I have a cat that
has the very same problem. The canned food should have meat as its first
ingredient(s) as well.

Stacey

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I know this is a gross topic but we're all friends right? My 13 month old
> cat, which I adopted about a month ago has UNNATURALLY stinky poop.
> Seriously. We have another cat and I've had cats in the past and never
> encountered something like this.
>
> My boyfriend who adores this cat is so disturbed by the situation that he
> said if we can't solve this problem we may need to give him up because "I
> can't live like this". It's so embarrassing that we can't invite people
> over
> for fear that stewie will do something disturbingly stinky.
>
> Here's what I'm feeding him - science diet "advanced formula" that I got
> at
> the vet's office - the vet says its a quality cat food. The package says
> it's for "adult cats" from 1-7. do you think that perhaps he needs kitten
> food? my other cat also eats the same food without issue.
>
> I adopted the cat from the vet's office - he has received all of his shots
> and was given a clean bill of health when I adopted him - which wasn't
> that
> long ago. fyi - the cat is neutered.
>
> I'm worried that he's sick - or that the food is too intense for him. I
> will
> be seeing my vet for my other cat on tuesday for an unrealted issue with
> my
> other cat- but I'm wondering if I could get some advice now.

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 15th 06, 11:25 PM
very interesting info. getting a water fountain is on my list - my vet
recommended it for my other cat anyway.

as for the grain issue - well that sounds like it from your description. My
guy is definitely gassy with loose stools. Sadly, my vet is putting my other
cat on a LOW PROTEIN diet because of kidney problems....this is going to be
interesting. I'll tell her about it on tuesday and we'll try to figure
something out.

thanks so much for your input - not necessarily the topic most cat forum
readers are running to read.

Lynne
October 16th 06, 12:58 AM
On Oct 15, 6:25 pm, "kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote:
> very interesting info. getting a water fountain is on my list - my vet
> recommended it for my other cat anyway.
>
> as for the grain issue - well that sounds like it from your description. My
> guy is definitely gassy with loose stools. Sadly, my vet is putting my other
> cat on a LOW PROTEIN diet because of kidney problems....this is going to be
> interesting. I'll tell her about it on tuesday and we'll try to figure
> something out.
>
> thanks so much for your input - not necessarily the topic most cat forum
> readers are running to read.

ah, but poop is the window to our pets' health!