PDA

View Full Version : URGENT: my 4.5-5 wk old kitten won't drink and barely eats

ashesmommysteff
October 15th 06, 11:46 PM
Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she has
only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been cleaning
with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw please
help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and has a
stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and took
tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!

Concearned new mommy
Steffanie

Gail
October 16th 06, 12:11 AM
TAKE HER TO THE VET. SHE PROBABLY HAS AN UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION AND
NEEDS ANTIBIOTICS.
Gail
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been
> cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw
> please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and
> has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and
> took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

Spot
October 16th 06, 12:14 AM
Why was she taken from her mother? Unless the mother has passed away there
is no reason on earth this kitten should not be with her. Whe is entirely
too young to be taken from the mother.

Celeste

"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been
> cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw
> please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and
> has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and
> took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

Lynne
October 16th 06, 01:02 AM
On Oct 15, 7:11 pm, "Gail" > wrote:
> TAKE HER TO THE VET. SHE PROBABLY HAS AN UPPER RESPIRATORY INFECTION AND
> NEEDS ANTIBIOTICS.
> Gail

Yes, please take her to the vet immediately. She probably has a URI
and an eye infection. You also need to give her kitten specific milk
and start trying to wean her (gradually) to solid food. Discuss this
with your vet, and good luck with your baby! They are very fragile at
this age, but with the right care and love, I'm sure she will be fine.

I would avoid bathing such a tiny kitten, though. Talk to your vet
about what you can do about her fleas. Mine gave me a liquid flea
killer to put on my tiny kitten. Basically I put it on him with a
cotton ball, and then wrapped him in a towel to keep him warm while he
dried. Don't let you baby catch a chill. GOOD LUCK!

MaryL
October 16th 06, 01:23 AM
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been
> cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw
> please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and
> has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and
> took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

Please have her seen by a vet *immediately.* There is no time to waste!
Kittens that young can decline (and die) very quickly.

Next, why did you adopt her at such a young age? Is the mother missing? If
not, the kitten should be returned to her mother until she is a more
suitable age. Kittens should not be removed from the mother until they are
*at least* 8 weeks old, and 10 to 12 weeks is preferable. This is needed
for the health of the kitten. A "bonus" is that she will be much easier for
you to care for at that age.

Good luck with your new baby...but please put off the adoption for a few
weeks (but return her to her mother AFTER she is seen by a vet and received
proper medical treatment).

MaryL

ashesmommysteff
October 16th 06, 01:24 AM
She was taken from her mother by someone other than myself I do not know why
the previous owners did it all i know is that I love her and i want to do
whatever i can to help her get well!!!

Spot wrote:
>Why was she taken from her mother? Unless the mother has passed away there
>is no reason on earth this kitten should not be with her. Whe is entirely
>too young to be taken from the mother.
>
>Celeste
>
>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>> has
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> Concearned new mommy
>> Steffanie

ashesmommysteff
October 16th 06, 01:32 AM
I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they were
younger and the other owners just can't take care of her anymore so i am
doing the best i can !!!!

MaryL wrote:
>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>> has
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> Concearned new mommy
>> Steffanie
>
>Please have her seen by a vet *immediately.* There is no time to waste!
>Kittens that young can decline (and die) very quickly.
>
>Next, why did you adopt her at such a young age? Is the mother missing? If
>not, the kitten should be returned to her mother until she is a more
>suitable age. Kittens should not be removed from the mother until they are
>*at least* 8 weeks old, and 10 to 12 weeks is preferable. This is needed
>for the health of the kitten. A "bonus" is that she will be much easier for
>you to care for at that age.
>
>Good luck with your new baby...but please put off the adoption for a few
>weeks (but return her to her mother AFTER she is seen by a vet and received
>proper medical treatment).
>
>MaryL

Buddy's Mom
October 16th 06, 01:34 AM
You need to get the kitten to an emergency vet NOW! Kittens that young
can die very easily. If you love her go to the vet now.

ashesmommysteff wrote:
> She was taken from her mother by someone other than myself I do not know why
> the previous owners did it all i know is that I love her and i want to do
> whatever i can to help her get well!!!
>
> Spot wrote:
> >Why was she taken from her mother? Unless the mother has passed away there
> >is no reason on earth this kitten should not be with her. Whe is entirely
> >too young to be taken from the mother.
> >
> >Celeste
> >
> >> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> >> has
> >[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
> >> Concearned new mommy
> >> Steffanie

Gail
October 16th 06, 01:36 AM
She needs to see a vet. That's what I and others are telling you.
Gail
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they
>were
> younger and the other owners just can't take care of her anymore so i am
> doing the best i can !!!!
>
> MaryL wrote:
>>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>>> has
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>> Concearned new mommy
>>> Steffanie
>>
>>Please have her seen by a vet *immediately.* There is no time to waste!
>>Kittens that young can decline (and die) very quickly.
>>
>>Next, why did you adopt her at such a young age? Is the mother missing?
>>If
>>not, the kitten should be returned to her mother until she is a more
>>suitable age. Kittens should not be removed from the mother until they
>>are
>>*at least* 8 weeks old, and 10 to 12 weeks is preferable. This is needed
>>for the health of the kitten. A "bonus" is that she will be much easier
>>for
>>you to care for at that age.
>>
>>Good luck with your new baby...but please put off the adoption for a few
>>weeks (but return her to her mother AFTER she is seen by a vet and
>>received
>>proper medical treatment).
>>
>>MaryL

ashesmommysteff
October 16th 06, 01:38 AM
she is going too i dont have an emergency vet here so 1st thing in the
morning
Gail wrote:
>She needs to see a vet. That's what I and others are telling you.
>Gail
>>I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they
>>were
>[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]
>>>
>>>MaryL

Lynne
October 16th 06, 01:42 AM
On Oct 15, 8:32 pm, "ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they were
> younger and the other owners just can't take care of her anymore so i am
> doing the best i can !!!!

Don't panic, just be vigilant. And take her to the vet first thing in
the am, or sooner if she is in distress.

I recently adopted a 4 week old kitten who had been abandoned by his
mother. He also had a URI and an eye infections (turns out he has FHV)
and he is just fine now at 9 weeks. Keep her warm and give her a few
tablespoons of kitten specific milk every few hours (around the clock).
Keep fresh water near where you feed her, and keep her warm. Hold her
a lot and pet her a lot, see if she wants to suckle on your pinkie
(mine suckles on my lips). After she is treated by the vet, start
trying to wean her. I would give Levi a few tablespoons of milk on a
saucer (after he swallowed a nipple, no more bottles) and then I would
put a few pieces of food in the milk so he could eat some that was
softened. After she eats, rub her all over, gently, like a mama would
do to clean her. If she goes for too long without urinating or
defecating, you may have to rub her genitals to stimulate this (do this
over a towel with a plastic bag under it). She's young, but I know for
a fact you can take care of her. Levi is the second kitten I've
adopted at this age. The other one lived to be 20 years old, and I
hadn't a clue what I was doing back then.

Yes, even with all your loving care she may not make it, but your heart
is in the right place and all you can do is your best. Good luck to
both of you!

Also, Google "hand raised kitten" for some great tips on how to take
care of her.

Gail
October 16th 06, 01:49 AM
Good. Kittens can die very easily and she is very, very young.
Gail
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> she is going too i dont have an emergency vet here so 1st thing in the
> morning
> Gail wrote:
>>She needs to see a vet. That's what I and others are telling you.
>>Gail
>>>I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they
>>>were
>>[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]

MaryL
October 16th 06, 02:21 AM
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>I called the previous owners and the mother cat abandoned them when they
>were
> younger and the other owners just can't take care of her anymore so i am
> doing the best i can !!!!

Okay, in that case, be sure to ask the vet for special instructions on how
to care for such a young kitten. For starters, you will want to get some
KMR (kitten milk replacement).

Thank you for adopting this little kit!!

MaryL

October 16th 06, 11:18 AM
Well, the computer ate my 1st reply :-)

As everyone has said, get thy self and thy kitten to the vet. Next-
buy KMR or another milk replacer. Thank you for adopting the little
one, I know the feeling. Right now I have a four week old that I found
when she was 10-14 days old. The people in this forum are godsends-
feel free to ask them questions- they will help you!

Some links that may help you out:

http://www.catvet.homestead.com/orphan1.html
http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html
http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#10

There are dozens more on the net. (Most of the links I have right now
are for weaning)

Good luck- we will fight the kitten raising battle together- feel free
to ask questions. Our little ones are at the same age

Derek

http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077

Wendy
October 16th 06, 12:06 PM
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been
> cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw
> please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and
> has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and
> took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

As others have said you need to feed KMR (kitten milk replacer) not cows
milk. Cows milk can give cats diarrhea. If you end up trying to bottle feed
or syringe/dropper feed this little one because of the URI, be very careful
to go slowly. They can aspirate formula or food which can cause aspiration
pneumonia. This is deadly in kittens under 8 weeks old. If you see any
formula coming out of the nose, immediately hold the kitten upside down to
let it drain. She's kind of at that in between age where some fight the
bottle and others still want it so she might not be all that interested in
formula. They sell small premixed cans that might be the best bet until you
find out if she'll take it or not.

You might want to steam up the bathroom and put her in there. The humidity
helps keep the nose open. If cats can't smell they won't be interested in
eating.

She does need to see the vet. They will probably put her on antibiotics and
possibly eye ointment if it appears she has conjunctivitis. Ask the vet to
show you what to look for to monitor her for dehydration. If she's not
eating well that is one of the things you need to watch for.

They will probably be able to give you something for the fleas too. If you
have to bathe her just make sure you get her completely dry afterwards. You
can use a hair dryer on low heat. I usually rub the hair with one hand while
using the hair dryer so I can feel how much heat is getting on the kitten.

Good luck with your new baby. I know how nerve wracking it can be worrying
them through an URI.

Wendy
October 16th 06, 12:33 PM
"ashesmommysteff" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
> has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been
> cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw
> please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and
> has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and
> took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

As others have said you need to feed KMR (kitten milk replacer) not cows
milk. Cows milk can give cats diarrhea. If you end up trying to bottle feed
or syringe/dropper feed this little one because of the URI, be very careful
to go slowly. They can aspirate formula or food which can cause aspiration
pneumonia. This is deadly in kittens under 8 weeks old. If you see any
formula coming out of the nose, immediately hold the kitten upside down to
let it drain. She's kind of at that in between age where some fight the
bottle and others still want it so she might not be all that interested in
formula. They sell small premixed cans that might be the best bet until you
find out if she'll take it or not.

You might want to steam up the bathroom and put her in there. The humidity
helps keep the nose open. If cats can't smell they won't be interested in
eating.

She does need to see the vet. They will probably put her on antibiotics and
possibly eye ointment if it appears she has conjunctivitis. Ask the vet to
show you what to look for to monitor her for dehydration. If she's not
eating well that is one of the things you need to watch for.

They will probably be able to give you something for the fleas too. If you
have to bathe her just make sure you get her completely dry afterwards. You
can use a hair dryer on low heat. I usually rub the hair with one hand while
using the hair dryer so I can feel how much heat is getting on the kitten.

Good luck with your new baby. I know how nerve wracking it can be worrying
them through an URI.

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com
October 16th 06, 03:53 PM
Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better she
is up and moving around now atleast after eatin some kmr and all about being
close and being held i made her a rice/ corn bag for heat and i bought a baby
toy with a little heat imation sound and took that out and put it near the
corn bag thinking maybe she'd sleep in her bed but nope she meowed all night
and i got her out and put her with me she slept the rest of the night so any
ideas on what you do would be great!!!!

wrote:
>Well, the computer ate my 1st reply :-)
>
>As everyone has said, get thy self and thy kitten to the vet. Next-
>buy KMR or another milk replacer. Thank you for adopting the little
>one, I know the feeling. Right now I have a four week old that I found
>when she was 10-14 days old. The people in this forum are godsends-
>feel free to ask them questions- they will help you!
>
>Some links that may help you out:
>
>http://www.catvet.homestead.com/orphan1.html
>http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html
>http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#10
>
>There are dozens more on the net. (Most of the links I have right now
>are for weaning)
>
>Good luck- we will fight the kitten raising battle together- feel free
>to ask questions. Our little ones are at the same age
>
>Derek
>
>http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077

Buddy's Mom
October 16th 06, 05:51 PM
Did you call the vet?

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com wrote:
> Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better she
> is up and moving around now atleast after eatin some kmr and all about being
> close and being held i made her a rice/ corn bag for heat and i bought a baby
> toy with a little heat imation sound and took that out and put it near the
> corn bag thinking maybe she'd sleep in her bed but nope she meowed all night
> and i got her out and put her with me she slept the rest of the night so any
> ideas on what you do would be great!!!!
>
> wrote:
> >Well, the computer ate my 1st reply :-)
> >
> >As everyone has said, get thy self and thy kitten to the vet. Next-
> >buy KMR or another milk replacer. Thank you for adopting the little
> >one, I know the feeling. Right now I have a four week old that I found
> >when she was 10-14 days old. The people in this forum are godsends-
> >feel free to ask them questions- they will help you!
> >
> >Some links that may help you out:
> >
> >http://www.catvet.homestead.com/orphan1.html
> >http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html
> >http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#10
> >
> >There are dozens more on the net. (Most of the links I have right now
> >are for weaning)
> >
> >Good luck- we will fight the kitten raising battle together- feel free
> >to ask questions. Our little ones are at the same age
> >
> >Derek
> >
> >http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077

Wendy
October 16th 06, 08:06 PM
That's what I've been waiting to hear. If an URI isn't addressed promptly
you can end up with a cat with chronic sniffles for it's lifetime.

"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Did you call the vet?
>
> ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com wrote:
>> Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better
>> she
>> is up and moving around now atleast after eatin some kmr and all about
>> being
>> close and being held i made her a rice/ corn bag for heat and i bought a
>> baby
>> toy with a little heat imation sound and took that out and put it near
>> the
>> corn bag thinking maybe she'd sleep in her bed but nope she meowed all
>> night
>> and i got her out and put her with me she slept the rest of the night so
>> any
>> ideas on what you do would be great!!!!
>>
>> wrote:
>> >Well, the computer ate my 1st reply :-)
>> >
>> >As everyone has said, get thy self and thy kitten to the vet. Next-
>> >buy KMR or another milk replacer. Thank you for adopting the little
>> >one, I know the feeling. Right now I have a four week old that I found
>> >when she was 10-14 days old. The people in this forum are godsends-
>> >feel free to ask them questions- they will help you!
>> >
>> >Some links that may help you out:
>> >
>> >http://www.catvet.homestead.com/orphan1.html
>> >http://www.rescueguide.com/orphkits.html
>> >http://www.alleycat.org/resources_care.html#10
>> >
>> >There are dozens more on the net. (Most of the links I have right now
>> >are for weaning)
>> >
>> >Good luck- we will fight the kitten raising battle together- feel free
>> >to ask questions. Our little ones are at the same age
>> >
>> >Derek
>> >
>> >http://www.catster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=390077
>>
>> --

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com
October 16th 06, 09:28 PM
yes she went to the vet this morning and they gave her a shot and she's been
asleep about all day but has been eatin some occasionally so thankyou all
very much for the concern

Wendy wrote:
>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>> has
>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>> Concearned new mommy
>> Steffanie
>
>As others have said you need to feed KMR (kitten milk replacer) not cows
>milk. Cows milk can give cats diarrhea. If you end up trying to bottle feed
>or syringe/dropper feed this little one because of the URI, be very careful
>to go slowly. They can aspirate formula or food which can cause aspiration
>pneumonia. This is deadly in kittens under 8 weeks old. If you see any
>formula coming out of the nose, immediately hold the kitten upside down to
>let it drain. She's kind of at that in between age where some fight the
>bottle and others still want it so she might not be all that interested in
>formula. They sell small premixed cans that might be the best bet until you
>find out if she'll take it or not.
>
>You might want to steam up the bathroom and put her in there. The humidity
>helps keep the nose open. If cats can't smell they won't be interested in
>eating.
>
>She does need to see the vet. They will probably put her on antibiotics and
>possibly eye ointment if it appears she has conjunctivitis. Ask the vet to
>show you what to look for to monitor her for dehydration. If she's not
>eating well that is one of the things you need to watch for.
>
>They will probably be able to give you something for the fleas too. If you
>have to bathe her just make sure you get her completely dry afterwards. You
>can use a hair dryer on low heat. I usually rub the hair with one hand while
>using the hair dryer so I can feel how much heat is getting on the kitten.
>
>Good luck with your new baby. I know how nerve wracking it can be worrying
>them through an URI.

Matthew
October 16th 06, 09:33 PM
Please Keep us informed. I arrived too late to add anything else helpful.
Phil's website has some good information on it to help with new kittens
owners http://www.maxshouse.com/Database_toc.htm

"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> yes she went to the vet this morning and they gave her a shot and she's
> been
> asleep about all day but has been eatin some occasionally so thankyou all
> very much for the concern
>
> Wendy wrote:
>>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>>> has
>>[quoted text clipped - 12 lines]
>>> Concearned new mommy
>>> Steffanie
>>
>>As others have said you need to feed KMR (kitten milk replacer) not cows
>>milk. Cows milk can give cats diarrhea. If you end up trying to bottle
>>feed
>>or syringe/dropper feed this little one because of the URI, be very
>>careful
>>to go slowly. They can aspirate formula or food which can cause aspiration
>>pneumonia. This is deadly in kittens under 8 weeks old. If you see any
>>formula coming out of the nose, immediately hold the kitten upside down to
>>let it drain. She's kind of at that in between age where some fight the
>>bottle and others still want it so she might not be all that interested in
>>formula. They sell small premixed cans that might be the best bet until
>>you
>>find out if she'll take it or not.
>>
>>You might want to steam up the bathroom and put her in there. The humidity
>>helps keep the nose open. If cats can't smell they won't be interested in
>>eating.
>>
>>She does need to see the vet. They will probably put her on antibiotics
>>and
>>possibly eye ointment if it appears she has conjunctivitis. Ask the vet to
>>show you what to look for to monitor her for dehydration. If she's not
>>eating well that is one of the things you need to watch for.
>>
>>They will probably be able to give you something for the fleas too. If you
>>have to bathe her just make sure you get her completely dry afterwards.
>>You
>>can use a hair dryer on low heat. I usually rub the hair with one hand
>>while
>>using the hair dryer so I can feel how much heat is getting on the kitten.
>>
>>Good luck with your new baby. I know how nerve wracking it can be worrying
>>them through an URI.

MaryL
October 16th 06, 10:59 PM
"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better
> she
> is up and moving around now atleast after eatin some kmr and all about
> being
> close and being held i made her a rice/ corn bag for heat and i bought a
> baby
> toy with a little heat imation sound and took that out and put it near the
> corn bag thinking maybe she'd sleep in her bed but nope she meowed all
> night
> and i got her out and put her with me she slept the rest of the night so
> any
> ideas on what you do would be great!!!!

Warmth from the rice bag sounds good -- just make sure that it isn't *too*
hot for such a little kit. Some people put a clock (the type that makes a
"tick-tick-ticking" sound) close to a kitten's bed. The sound can be
soothing to them. On the other hand, I actually enjoy having my cats sleep
with me. I miss it if I wake up and don't find a warm bundle of fur beside
me. You may soon find yourself in the situation.

What did the vet say. You said in one of your messages that he gave your
kitten a shot, but you didn't say what the diagnosis was. Will she need any
follow-up care?

Again, thanks for adopting. This is wonderful for her, and you will be
repaid with lots of love.

MaryL

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com
October 16th 06, 11:56 PM
yes upper respitory infection as well as eye infectionshe is wanting to be
close to me all of the time she is more like having a baby than a cat whoever
said they were independant must not have a baby like i do because i try to
put her in her bed and she just won't stay there its all about being close i
have also found that the little pouches that they use for sugar gliders and
wear around their necks i think they are called bonding pouches are working
wonderfully and hoodies with front pockets she'd ride around all day if she
could!!!!

MaryL wrote:
>> Thankyou yes its very nerve wracking i think she's doin a little better
>> she
>[quoted text clipped - 8 lines]
>> any
>> ideas on what you do would be great!!!!
>
>Warmth from the rice bag sounds good -- just make sure that it isn't *too*
>hot for such a little kit. Some people put a clock (the type that makes a
>"tick-tick-ticking" sound) close to a kitten's bed. The sound can be
>soothing to them. On the other hand, I actually enjoy having my cats sleep
>with me. I miss it if I wake up and don't find a warm bundle of fur beside
>me. You may soon find yourself in the situation.
>
>What did the vet say. You said in one of your messages that he gave your
>kitten a shot, but you didn't say what the diagnosis was. Will she need any
>follow-up care?
>
>Again, thanks for adopting. This is wonderful for her, and you will be
>repaid with lots of love.
>
>MaryL

MaryL
October 17th 06, 12:24 AM
"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> yes upper respitory infection as well as eye infectionshe is wanting to be
> close to me all of the time she is more like having a baby than a cat
> whoever
> said they were independant must not have a baby like i do because i try to
> put her in her bed and she just won't stay there its all about being close
> have also found that the little pouches that they use for sugar gliders
> and
> wear around their necks i think they are called bonding pouches are
> working
> wonderfully and hoodies with front pockets she'd ride around all day if
> she
> could!!!!

Yes, she really is a baby, and she needs lots of attention since she lost
her own mother. I think people who only stress the "independence" of cats
don't have much experience with them. Each cat is unique with his or her
own personality. Some are independent, some are lap cats with an inordinate
need for affection -- we don't "train" them to be a certain way. Holly
follows me around like a little shadow (which is appropriate because she is
black). As soon as I sit down at the computer, she sits beside the keyboard
or walks back and forth in front of the monitor. She brings me the same
little toy mouse as a "gift" every evening. Duffy is a little love-bug. He
will climb up in my lap and rub his little chin against mine, and he is an
absolute joy to see. I love it, and neither one would fit the old
stereotype of "independence." On the other hand, they are independent in
the sense that *they* decide when it's time for all this loving!

MaryL

Buddy's Mom
October 17th 06, 01:39 AM
So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

ashesmommysteff wrote:
> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she has
> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
> sleeps all the time her little eyes are watering and all nasty been cleaning
> with a warm wet paper towel I made the mistake of giving her cows milk for
> the past two days by warming it and feeding it to her through a straw please
> help i love my little angle and in addition to her eyes she sneezes and has a
> stuffy nose when i got her she also had fleas i gave her a warm bath and took
> tweezers and picked the fleas off as many as i could see anyway!!
>
> Concearned new mommy
> Steffanie

MaryL
October 17th 06, 01:44 AM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
> making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

No, she gave some details in a reply to one of my messages -- see her
message posted 10/16/06 at 5:56 p.m.

MaryL

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com
October 17th 06, 02:13 AM
i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten has
been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't have
looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all these
very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make assumptions
about me thankyou

Steffanie

Buddy's Mom wrote:
>So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
>making up this vet visit to satisfy us.
>
>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she has
>> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>> Concearned new mommy
>> Steffanie

Matthew
October 17th 06, 04:08 AM
Some of us Like myself I am guilty of it We forget that our comforts that
are in easy reach but take one away most a crying like babies

Happy little one is better.

"meeee" > wrote in message
> Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
> it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
> job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
> Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
> understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less
> education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services. The
> larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only ones
> who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far between,
> and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got a 2nd
> vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the posters who
> were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as well as cats,
> and stop for a minute and think that others may not be as well educated as
> yourselves; re-educating and changing long-held and ingrained opinions
> takes time and kindness, not a whack over the knuckles. As I thought you
> would have learnt from training your cats. Save the hostility for the
> trolls.
> "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten
>> has
>> been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't
>> have
>> looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all
>> these
>> very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make
>> assumptions
>> about me thankyou
>>
>> Steffanie
>>
>> Buddy's Mom wrote:
>>>So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
>>>making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

>>>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>> --

meeee
October 17th 06, 04:13 AM
Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less education
on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services. The larger
cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only ones who even
have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far between, and rural
towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got a 2nd vet's office
last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the posters who were harsh to
this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as well as cats, and stop for a
minute and think that others may not be as well educated as yourselves;
re-educating and changing long-held and ingrained opinions takes time and
kindness, not a whack over the knuckles. As I thought you would have learnt
from training your cats. Save the hostility for the trolls.
"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten
> has
> been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't
> have
> looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all
> these
> very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make assumptions
> about me thankyou
>
> Steffanie
>
> Buddy's Mom wrote:
>>So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
>>making up this vet visit to satisfy us.
>>
>>> Please help I adopted a 4.5-5.5 week old kitten on friday since then she
>>> has
>>> only used the litter box 5 times 2 times were #2 and 3 times were #1 she
>>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>> Concearned new mommy
>>> Steffanie

meeee
October 17th 06, 05:17 AM
:) I spend a lot of time jealously prowling US pet sites....you guys get
everything :( I only know of 2 aussie ones similar, and they charge waaaay
more. Oh well. I'll get over it one day. I wish aussie attitudes to cats
where different; I had to bite my tongue when my friend was over the other
day; she has a 'problem cat' apparently and was trying to 'do a swap' for
one of my carefully raised boys....not on your life. I wish I could take the
poor thing, but I am at full capacity and if I take another, esp. with the
baggae this one has, it would be too hard for mine to cope with. Although
I'm very tempted; the outlook for this poor boy isn't good.
What to do, what to do.....at least steffie here is going in the right
direction!!
which is more than I can say for most aussie 'cat lovers' grrrr lets keep
the nice ones....

"Matthew" > wrote in message
> Some of us Like myself I am guilty of it We forget that our comforts
> that are in easy reach but take one away most a crying like babies
>
> Happy little one is better.
>
> "meeee" > wrote in message
>> Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
>> it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
>> job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
>> Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
>> understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less
>> education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services.
>> The larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only
>> ones who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far
>> between, and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got
>> a 2nd vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the
>> posters who were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as
>> well as cats, and stop for a minute and think that others may not be as
>> well educated as yourselves; re-educating and changing long-held and
>> ingrained opinions takes time and kindness, not a whack over the
>> knuckles. As I thought you would have learnt from training your cats.
>> Save the hostility for the trolls.
>> "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten
>>> has
>>> been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't
>>> have
>>> looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all
>>> these
>>> very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make
>>> assumptions
>>> about me thankyou
>>>
>>> Steffanie

>>> --

MaryL
October 17th 06, 06:43 AM
I hope I wasn't one of the ones who seemed harsh because I certainly didn't
intend it that way, but your point is very well taken. Unless it is someone
I already recognize, I never seem to think about the fact that the person
could be writing from another country. Even within the US, many simply do
not have easy access to resources.

Thanks for writing!

MaryL

"meeee" > wrote in message
> Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
> it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
> job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
> Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
> understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less
> education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services. The
> larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only ones
> who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far between,
> and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got a 2nd
> vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the posters who
> were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as well as cats,
> and stop for a minute and think that others may not be as well educated as
> yourselves; re-educating and changing long-held and ingrained opinions
> takes time and kindness, not a whack over the knuckles. As I thought you
> would have learnt from training your cats. Save the hostility for the
> trolls.
> "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>> i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten
>> has
>> been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't
>> have
>> looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all
>> these
>> very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make
>> assumptions
>> about me thankyou
>>
>> Steffanie
>>
>> Buddy's Mom wrote:
>>>So what kind of shot did the kitty get? You are sounding as if you are
>>>making up this vet visit to satisfy us.

>>>[quoted text clipped - 7 lines]
>>
>> --

meeee
October 17th 06, 07:00 AM
news:[email protected]
>I hope I wasn't one of the ones who seemed harsh because I certainly didn't
>intend it that way, but your point is very well taken. Unless it is
>someone I already recognize, I never seem to think about the fact that the
>person could be writing from another country. Even within the US, many
>simply do not have easy access to resources.
>
> Thanks for writing!
>
> MaryL

No, you weren't harsh :) And I hope I wasn't too harsh in return; some
things get my goat at times. It's easy to forget that usenet is
international.... and that some people love their pets but don't have as
much $$ as they would like with which to pander to every whim of their
masters...doesn't mean they don't wish they did :)

> "meeee" > wrote in message
>> Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be covering
>> it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a wonderful
>> job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders. I'm another
>> Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas poster don't
>> understand how different things are over here. There is a lot less
>> education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less services.
>> The larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide) are the only
>> ones who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are few and far
>> between, and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown only just got
>> a 2nd vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet. So to the
>> posters who were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for hoomins as
>> well as cats, and stop for a minute and think that others may not be as
>> well educated as yourselves; re-educating and changing long-held and
>> ingrained opinions takes time and kindness, not a whack over the
>> knuckles. As I thought you would have learnt from training your cats.
>> Save the hostility for the trolls.
>> "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]
>>> i'm really sorry you feel that i would be such a bad pet owner my kitten
>>> has
>>> been taken care of and if i didn't want to take care of her i wouldn't
>>> have
>>> looked up this website and taken into consideration everything that all
>>> these
>>> very helpful individuals has given to me so please do not make
>>> assumptions
>>> about me thankyou
>>>
>>> Steffanie

>>> --

meeee
October 17th 06, 07:03 AM
And I really wouldn't want someone who is obviously wanting to be a good cat
mummy being driven away by someone not taking 2 minutes to cool off for
replying. The more aussies we can get on the side of responsible pet
ownership, the better for aussie pets. I've been reading the post about
catching and releasing feral populations, and wishing something like that
were done here. Although I'm not sure it would work as well; our native
animals would still be killed by the ferals. It's a hard question.
"meeee" > wrote in message

> "MaryL" -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
>>I hope I wasn't one of the ones who seemed harsh because I certainly
>>didn't intend it that way, but your point is very well taken. Unless it
>>is someone I already recognize, I never seem to think about the fact that
>>the person could be writing from another country. Even within the US,
>>many simply do not have easy access to resources.
>>
>> Thanks for writing!
>>
>> MaryL
>>

> No, you weren't harsh :) And I hope I wasn't too harsh in return; some
> things get my goat at times. It's easy to forget that usenet is
> international.... and that some people love their pets but don't have as
> much $$ as they would like with which to pander to every whim of their
> masters...doesn't mean they don't wish they did :)
>>
>> "meeee" > wrote in message
>>> Hi Steffanie, I haven't replied yet as everyone else seems to be
>>> covering it; I disagree with the previous poster, I think you're doing a
>>> wonderful job! You must be in Australia, you mentioned sugar gliders.
>>> I'm another Aussie, I'm up in Cairns, and I think some of the overseas
>>> poster don't understand how different things are over here. There is a
>>> lot less education on pet owning, a lot less products, and a lot less
>>> services. The larger cities (of which there are under 50 nation wide)
>>> are the only ones who even have emergency centres, Animal Hospitals are
>>> few and far between, and rural towns may often share a vet; my hometown
>>> only just got a 2nd vet's office last year, and their first mobile vet.
>>> So to the posters who were harsh to this lady, have some compassion for
>>> hoomins as well as cats, and stop for a minute and think that others may
>>> not be as well educated as yourselves; re-educating and changing
>>> long-held and ingrained opinions takes time and kindness, not a whack
>>> over the knuckles. As I thought you would have learnt from training your
>>> cats. Save the hostility for the trolls.
>>> "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]

Lynne
October 17th 06, 02:04 PM
"ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> yes she went to the vet this morning and they gave her a shot and
> she's been asleep about all day but has been eatin some occasionally
> so thankyou all very much for the concern

How is she doing today? The antibiotic shot will probably make her feel
better pretty quickly.

It's wonderful that you are carrying her around in your pocket and letting
her sleep with you. She needs that warmth and physical contact. She will
look at you as her mama and I think you will find the bond to be very
strong and very rewarding. In just a few weeks she will be out of the
woods and you will be able to breathe easier.

Please keep us updated and, if you are able, share some photos! Have you
named her yet?

--
"Lynne" lover of mutts and feral kitties

ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com
October 18th 06, 01:23 AM
she is doing alot better i couldn't figure out why she was walking around
meowing and i forgot i got her more food and didn't give it to her in the
usual spot so she is doing better yes she is a long haired grey and white
little girl and i'm from a place called Ashe and so her name is Ashe is is
very very loving and loves to be held ALL the time thankyou all for all your
help I have been steaming up the bathroom and putting her in there kinda like
a humidifyer seems to be helping too!!!

Lynne wrote:
>> yes she went to the vet this morning and they gave her a shot and
>> she's been asleep about all day but has been eatin some occasionally
>> so thankyou all very much for the concern
>
>How is she doing today? The antibiotic shot will probably make her feel
>better pretty quickly.
>
>It's wonderful that you are carrying her around in your pocket and letting
>her sleep with you. She needs that warmth and physical contact. She will
>look at you as her mama and I think you will find the bond to be very
>strong and very rewarding. In just a few weeks she will be out of the
>woods and you will be able to breathe easier.
>
>Please keep us updated and, if you are able, share some photos! Have you
>named her yet?

Lynne
October 18th 06, 02:11 AM
on Wed, 18 Oct 2006 00:23:26 GMT, "ashesmommysteff via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> she is doing alot better i couldn't figure out why she was walking
> around meowing and i forgot i got her more food and didn't give it to
> her in the usual spot so she is doing better yes she is a long haired
> grey and white little girl and i'm from a place called Ashe and so her
> name is Ashe is is very very loving and loves to be held ALL the time
> thankyou all for all your help I have been steaming up the bathroom
> and putting her in there kinda like a humidifyer seems to be helping
> too!!!

that is WONDERFUL news! Sounds like you are doing everything right.
Remain vigilant, as things can change very quickly with such a young
kitten, but don't worry as long as she continues to improve. Thank you for
the update!

--
"Lynne" lover of mutts and feral kitties

meeee
October 18th 06, 02:56 AM
Awwww she sounds like a real sweetie, I'm so glad things are working out for
you both! Keep posting about her!!