PDA

View Full Version : litter box problems

Vanilla Tea
October 17th 06, 03:54 PM
I have a 12-year-old indoor-outdoor cat. For the last several months, he
has not been using his litterbox regularly; goes on floor in basement
usually. But this morning, he went no.1 on the living room carpet. I know
a trip to the vet is in order, but I'd like to solve the problem without
breaking my budget. Please advise.

Gail
October 17th 06, 04:29 PM
He must be seen by a vet. Sounds like he has a urinary tract infection and
needs medical treatment.
Gail
"Vanilla Tea" > wrote in message
>I have a 12-year-old indoor-outdoor cat. For the last several months, he
>has not been using his litterbox regularly; goes on floor in basement
>usually. But this morning, he went no.1 on the living room carpet. I know
>a trip to the vet is in order, but I'd like to solve the problem without
>breaking my budget. Please advise.

cybercat
October 17th 06, 04:30 PM
"Vanilla Tea" > wrote in message
>I have a 12-year-old indoor-outdoor cat. For the last several months, he
>has not been using his litterbox regularly; goes on floor in basement
>usually. But this morning, he went no.1 on the living room carpet. I know
>a trip to the vet is in order, but I'd like to solve the problem without
>breaking my budget. Please advise.

You have to rule out a urinary tract infection before you address any
behavioral issues. Particularly since this is a male--UTIs can be deadly
for them. Take him in if you love him. It's not expensive. Call beforehand
and ask, "how much to check him for a UTI?" I am thinking maybe $40.

Rene S.
October 17th 06, 05:40 PM
Vanilla Tea wrote:
> I have a 12-year-old indoor-outdoor cat. For the last several months, he
> has not been using his litterbox regularly; goes on floor in basement
> usually. But this morning, he went no.1 on the living room carpet. I know
> a trip to the vet is in order, but I'd like to solve the problem without
> breaking my budget. Please advise.

I echo the other replies in that a vet trip is certainly in order!
However, how many litterboxes do you have? Perhaps, since your cat is
getting older, he needs more boxes in different areas of the house.

krazy
October 17th 06, 06:05 PM
>I have a 12-year-old indoor-outdoor cat. For the last several months, he
>has not been using his litterbox regularly; goes on floor in basement
>usually. But this morning, he went no.1 on the living room carpet. I know
>a trip to the vet is in order, but I'd like to solve the problem without
>breaking my budget. Please advise.

You could try a new litter box (They do need replacing every so
often), new litter or new type of litter, new location for litter box,
ETC.

Where it is an older cat maybe move it upstairs. He may not want to
go up and down stairs anymore or it may be getting difficult for him.

mysticalwanderer
October 18th 06, 11:26 AM
Because he goes outside too he may not want to use his litter box
anymore. If you see him begining to relieve himself somewhere then try
putting him outside...but if you aren't home when this happens then you
are in big trouble! Maybe since he's older he no longer wants to use
the litter box. Talk to your Vet & see what they say. Phyllis