PDA

View Full Version : Help Ringworm

wendymg
October 17th 06, 06:01 PM
About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
mites. Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
the cat.
I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Wendy

krazy
October 17th 06, 06:13 PM
>About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
>to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
>mites. Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
>worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
>the cat.
>I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
>help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
>but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
>pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
>cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
>bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
>husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
>him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
>everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
>today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
>mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
>gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
>She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
>what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
>Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
>Wendy

Get rid of the old man and keep the cat !!!

-L.
October 17th 06, 08:10 PM
wendymg wrote:
> About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
> to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
> mites. Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
> worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
> the cat.
> I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
> help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
> but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
> pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
> cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
> bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
> husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
> him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
> everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
> today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
> mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
> gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
> She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
> what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
> Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
> Wendy

Program. Google it. Anything else is a waste of time and money.

-L.

Gail Futoran
October 17th 06, 09:57 PM
"wendymg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
> to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
> mites.

I've adopted strays that had worms and ear mites. It seems to be common in
strays. Treatment was straightforward and the problems didn't return.

Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
> worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
> the cat.
> I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
> help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
> but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
> pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
> cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
> bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
> husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
> him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
> everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
> today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
> mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
> gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
> She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
> what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
> Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
> Wendy

I had a FeLV+ kitten that got ringworm. The treatment was IIRC shampoo once
a week for about a month, and pills for a month. It worked, and I didn't
get ringworm, despite interacting with him every day. Neither did his
companion, another FeLV+ kitten, pick up the disease despite their living in
close quarters. They were already in isolation from my other cats, and my
weekly habit of cleaning their room got revised to spraying everything with
a 10% clorox solution weekly (while they were in the guest bath) and adding
clorox to the laundry when I cleaned their bedding.

I don't know if that's helpful to you, just that my experience wasn't as
dire as your husband seems to think it has to be. But until the matter is
resolved, it's a good idea to keep the kitten isolated from the majority of
the house, if that's possible.

There are some good websites on ringworm. Try these two for a start:
http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/feline-dermatophytosis.html
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html

Good luck!

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
and the new kids
Marcus (was Jasper) and Gabby (was Jasmine)

wendymg
October 17th 06, 11:28 PM
Well it's going to be about $75 to treat her. The vet said it takes 4-6
weeks to complete treatment. She can keep infecting everybody while
she's on treatment. She said that we can shave her which would help
from spreading it. I suppose we could keep her locked in a cage but the
large cage I have she can slip out I would have to rig it somehow. If I
keep her locked in the family room then the carpets would get infected.
I'm scared that the kids will get it and they won't be able to go to
school for 4-6 weeks until the cat is better which is not possible. I'm
leaning more towards putting her to sleep.

Gail Futoran wrote:
> "wendymg" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
> > to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
> > mites.
>
> I've adopted strays that had worms and ear mites. It seems to be common in
> strays. Treatment was straightforward and the problems didn't return.
>
> Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
> > worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
> > the cat.
> > I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
> > help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
> > but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
> > pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
> > cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
> > bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
> > husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
> > him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
> > everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
> > today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
> > mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
> > gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
> > She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
> > what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
> > Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
> > Wendy
>
> I had a FeLV+ kitten that got ringworm. The treatment was IIRC shampoo once
> a week for about a month, and pills for a month. It worked, and I didn't
> get ringworm, despite interacting with him every day. Neither did his
> companion, another FeLV+ kitten, pick up the disease despite their living in
> close quarters. They were already in isolation from my other cats, and my
> weekly habit of cleaning their room got revised to spraying everything with
> a 10% clorox solution weekly (while they were in the guest bath) and adding
> clorox to the laundry when I cleaned their bedding.
>
> I don't know if that's helpful to you, just that my experience wasn't as
> dire as your husband seems to think it has to be. But until the matter is
> resolved, it's a good idea to keep the kitten isolated from the majority of
> the house, if that's possible.
>
> There are some good websites on ringworm. Try these two for a start:
> http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/feline-dermatophytosis.html
> http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html
>
> Good luck!
>
> Gail F.
> Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
> and the new kids
> Marcus (was Jasper) and Gabby (was Jasmine)

meeee
October 18th 06, 02:30 AM
We had that problem a while back. Vacuuming the carpets should be fine; wash
bedding on the hot water cycle in the wahsing machine, and have a tube of
anti fungal cream ready, the minute anyone starts scratching whack it on;
it's better caught sooner. Keep her in the family room; If you're really
paranoid, steam clean the carpet/couch when she's out of isolation. Ringworm
isn't too hard to deal with; just stay on top of it and you'll be fine.
physical contact is the main spreader, it spreads from little 'flakes' of
infected skin, that's why vacuuming solves it.
"wendymg" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> a 10% clorox solution weekly (while they were in the guest bath) and
>> adding
>> clorox to the laundry when I cleaned their bedding.
>>
>> I don't know if that's helpful to you, just that my experience wasn't as
>> dire as your husband seems to think it has to be. But until the matter
>> is
>> resolved, it's a good idea to keep the kitten isolated from the majority
>> of
>> the house, if that's possible.
>>
>> There are some good websites on ringworm. Try these two for a start:
>> http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/feline-dermatophytosis.html
>> http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html
>>
>> Good luck!
>>
>> Gail F.
>> Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
>> and the new kids
>> Marcus (was Jasper) and Gabby (was Jasmine)

Rhonda
October 18th 06, 05:35 AM
Oh, please don't put a cat to sleep for ringworm. It is just a fungal
infection, like jock itch or athlete's foot or anything else. You do
have to treat it and keep on top of it until it's gone, but it is not
life and death.

Most healthy people can fight off ringworm without much drama. Ringworm
is in the environment many places, not just on your cat. Your kitten is
young and didn't have the resources to fight it.

I actually had a patch of ringworm on my neck from a time I volunteered
in a rural Humane Society. I don't know if I got it from the goats, a
horse, or the rabbits, but it was just a patch. I treated it with cream
and pills and got rid of it.

A volunteer at another Humane Society said bleach is your friend. She
told me to wash towels, clothes, etc. with a spot of bleach. No one else
in our household caught it, no cats or humans, and it did not spread on me.

If you aren't willing to treat the cat, is there someone else who will
keep her for you until she's better? Or can you find her another home?
This shouldn't be a death sentence for such a little thing.

Hope you can find a workable solution. It's just a fungus, not a disease!

Take care,

Rhonda

wendymg wrote:
> Well it's going to be about $75 to treat her. The vet said it takes 4-6
> weeks to complete treatment. She can keep infecting everybody while
> she's on treatment. She said that we can shave her which would help
> from spreading it. I suppose we could keep her locked in a cage but the
> large cage I have she can slip out I would have to rig it somehow. If I
> keep her locked in the family room then the carpets would get infected.
> I'm scared that the kids will get it and they won't be able to go to
> school for 4-6 weeks until the cat is better which is not possible. I'm
> leaning more towards putting her to sleep.
>

> Gail Futoran wrote:
>
>>"wendymg" > wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
>>>to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
>>>mites.
>>
>>I've adopted strays that had worms and ear mites. It seems to be common in
>>strays. Treatment was straightforward and the problems didn't return.
>>
>>Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
>>
>>>worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
>>>the cat.
>>>I called the vet to see about getting treatment and he wasn't much
>>>help. Seemed a little crabby today. I scheduled an appt for tonight
>>>but need some help still. He said it takes about a month to treat with
>>>pills. I need to know if we are still going to get infected while the
>>>cat is being treated. Also how do I go about disinfecting my house,
>>>bedding, couches, etc. I asked the vet and he said to just vacuum. My
>>>husband hates the cat to begin with and now this just is to much for
>>>him. He said if we can't get her treated without further infecting
>>>everybody for the next month she has to go to the humane society
>>>today. The vet we see is reduced cost so that's why I go to him. My
>>>mom will be paying for the treatment as we just can't afford it. If it
>>>gets to complicated and expensive we just can't keep Pumpkin anymore.
>>>She's locked in the family room right now because I just don't know
>>>what to do with her. Is the medicine expensive.
>>>Any help and advice would be appreciated. Thanks
>>>Wendy
>>
>>I had a FeLV+ kitten that got ringworm. The treatment was IIRC shampoo once
>>a week for about a month, and pills for a month. It worked, and I didn't
>>get ringworm, despite interacting with him every day. Neither did his
>>companion, another FeLV+ kitten, pick up the disease despite their living in
>>close quarters. They were already in isolation from my other cats, and my
>>weekly habit of cleaning their room got revised to spraying everything with
>>a 10% clorox solution weekly (while they were in the guest bath) and adding
>>clorox to the laundry when I cleaned their bedding.
>>
>>I don't know if that's helpful to you, just that my experience wasn't as
>>dire as your husband seems to think it has to be. But until the matter is
>>resolved, it's a good idea to keep the kitten isolated from the majority of
>>the house, if that's possible.
>>
>>There are some good websites on ringworm. Try these two for a start:
>>http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/feline-dermatophytosis.html
>>http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html
>>
>>Good luck!
>>
>>Gail F.
>>Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
>>and the new kids
>>Marcus (was Jasper) and Gabby (was Jasmine)

-L.
October 18th 06, 07:48 AM
wendymg wrote:
> Well it's going to be about $75 to treat her. The vet said it takes 4-6
> weeks to complete treatment. She can keep infecting everybody while
> she's on treatment. She said that we can shave her which would help
> from spreading it. I suppose we could keep her locked in a cage but the
> large cage I have she can slip out I would have to rig it somehow. If I
> keep her locked in the family room then the carpets would get infected.
> I'm scared that the kids will get it and they won't be able to go to
> school for 4-6 weeks until the cat is better which is not possible. I'm
> leaning more towards putting her to sleep.

Don't kill the cat for ringworm - return her to a shelter, if nothing
else. If you cannot afford $75 to treat ringworm you really shouldn't
have any pets, at all.

-L.

Debra Berry
October 18th 06, 08:55 PM
I can't believe that you would let the kitten be killed just because it
has
ringworm. Ringworm won't really hurt anyone and I'm quite surprised
that your "family" has come down with it at the same time. It doesn't
spread that easily in healthy adults. Better check with your doctor and
make sure that it really is ringworm. For treatment of ringworm on
people,
get a tube of antifungal cream for athlete's foot from the drug store.
Ringworm isn't a worm at all, it is a fungus. Do not use the people
antifungal medicine on the kitten. Because they lick themselves, the
medicine must be ok'd by the vet.

I have fostered many kittens with ringworm, and currently have 2 in my
house. If there are a few spots (usually on tail, ears, or paws) then
have the vet prescribe miconazole lotion or Conifite cream to put on
the spots 2x daily. If the kitten is covered with ringworm, then you
may have to use oral medicine. Itraconazole is what we use. It is also
good to shampoo the kitten 2x a week with a antifungal shampoo from the
vet's (not a pet store). We usually use Ketochlor shampoo.

Be sure to vacuum the area where the kitten is very well every couple
of days. Wash bedding, towels, etc in hot water and drying. Use a
10% bleach solution on hard surface.

I wish you luck with this and please don't have the kitten put to sleep.
This is really not a major problem in an otherwise healthy kitten.

Debbie

wendymg wrote:

> [...]
> > weekly habit of cleaning their room got revised to spraying everything with
> > a 10% clorox solution weekly (while they were in the guest bath) and adding
> > clorox to the laundry when I cleaned their bedding.
> >
> > I don't know if that's helpful to you, just that my experience wasn't as
> > dire as your husband seems to think it has to be. But until the matter is
> > resolved, it's a good idea to keep the kitten isolated from the majority of
> > the house, if that's possible.
> >
> > There are some good websites on ringworm. Try these two for a start:
> > http://www.winnfelinehealth.org/reports/feline-dermatophytosis.html
> > http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ringworm.html
> >
> > Good luck!
> >
> > Gail F.
> > Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
> > and the new kids
> > Marcus (was Jasper) and Gabby (was Jasmine)

BarB
October 21st 06, 07:27 PM
On 17 Oct 2006 10:01:00 -0700, "wendymg" >
wrote:

>About 2 weeks ago we found a stray 4 week old kitten. We brought her
>to the vet a couple days later and was told she had worms and ear
>mites. Well my family devolped a strange rash on Saturday, me the
>worst. So I went to the dr and was told we got ringworm probably from
>the cat.

First of all, as others have said, this is not an uncommon event with
a young kitten and it is not life-threatening. Your cat will probably
never have it again. Even if you do absolutely nothing, the cat will
recover. My vet calls it the kitten chicken pox and prefers to let
nature run its course without intervention in most cases.

I help run a shelter group and I foster many kittens every year that
get ringworm. The adults seldom catch it although I do keep the
kittens separate of course. The reason I treat sometimes with oral
medication is to get the kittens over it more quickly so they can be
adopted.

If your children are in school they have already been exposed to
this fungus in the environment. If someone gets a spot, use an
antifungal for athletes foot like "Lotrimin" every day and cover it
with a band aid. It will mot likely be gone in a few days. Only
extremely rarely does a human need drugs for ringworm.

Keeping the kitten in the family room and out of the bedrooms is a
good idea. You want to keep down the spread of the active spores.
Wash her bedding and what surfaces you can with bleach solution.
Vacuum. Use a clean towel on your lap each time you hold her. Wash
your hands well after petting her.

Treat the kitten daily with the same topical antifungal cream you use
on yourself. Bathe her several times per week with antifungal shampoo
like "Malaseb".

"Program" will help some kinds of ringworm. I give it to all kittens
to help prevent the spread of ringworm to other kittens nursing from
the same mother. ( Amazingly enough, the mother cat frequently has no
ringworm!) It is fairly inexpensive, tasteless and easy to mix with
wet food. You will need to buy the dog-size pills and grind them up
since the normal cat dose for fleas is not large enough. You give
about 60 mg per pound every two weeks. That's about a quarter to a
half of a 405 mg dog pill for a kitten, but overdosing is not a
problem with this drug so they say. Even if you don't use it all for
ringworm, it's effective for fleas.

I wouldn't add other oral medication unless the ringworm is very
severe or in spots you can't treat with cream. If you do, use a
drug that is used in humans. You may be able to get your doctor to
prescribe it for you or one of the children if you can't get it from
the vet, but check with your vet for dosage. The drug frequently
prescribed for animals, "Griseofulvin", will sometimes damage a
kitten's liver. It's not worth the risk.

I had complete success with "Itraconazole". My vet gave it at a
dosage of 10mg/kg once a day mixed up in fish oil by a compounding
pharmacy.The kits thought it was a great treat and, considering the
price, you want it all to go down:). It had no side effects. I gave
it until I saw a cure (hair growing back, no new spots, no
fluorescence under a black light) then cut it down to every other day
until they were completely cured. Took about a month. I have also
used "Lamosil" in severe cases. Check with your vet on dosage.

I would start with shampoo and antifungal cream to prevent the spread
of the spores, vacuum and launder frequently and add "Program" if you
feel you need it. If you have access to a black light, check her over
for spots. Many varieties of active ringworm spores will fluoresce an
apple-green color.

> http://www.pandecats.com/x/ringworm_battle_plan.htm
http://www.pandecats.com/x/limesulphur_shampoo.htm

BarB