PDA

View Full Version : One Final Question About a Blockage

MoMo via CatKB.com
October 18th 06, 12:30 AM
Hello everyone. I had a kitty that blocked the Friday before last. I have
been posting about it frequently on here with great help from everyone. He
was doing pretty good last week, although not peeing in amounts that I was
thrilled about, but, the vet said that as long as he was peeing, everything
was ok. Now, over the weekend, he started peeing frequently but in very
small amounts. I called the vet on Monday and told her that I wanted to come
in and have him checked because I am a nervous wreck. So, I have an
appointment for tomorrow morning. Now, last night when I got home, I watched
him in the litter box, and he was straining but got a tiny bit out, he then
turned around, strained and nothing came out, and then he turned around again
and a little came out. At this point, I am convinced that he is blocked
again. But, since that time, he has been peeing a river, and frequently! I
got home about 1/2 hour and he has peed about 3 or 4 times about half the
size of my palm, which, for him lately, is huge (he was peeing in amounts the
size of a dime to a quarter)! So, I am very happy about this and after
speaking with a friend last night who is a vet tech she told me that he
possibly had a little grit in there that he managed to get out. My question
is, should I still bring him into the vet tomorrow (I have another
appointment on November 3rd which he is definitely going to to be neutered
and to have another urinalysis). I don't want to stress him out again by
bringing in him tomorrow (he was extremely despondent at the vet's when he
had his blockage, nevermind the additional vet bill). Plus, the said that
they would put another catheter in him to get the urine out which I am not
too happy about as I have read the more times they have the catheter the more
likely they will block in the future. My only concern right now is that he
is cleaning himself down there pretty often (especially after he pees), but,
he is peeing an awful lot. What do you guys think? Thanks everyone! You
have all been wonderful through this experience.

Phil P.
October 18th 06, 01:40 AM
"MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Hello everyone. I had a kitty that blocked the Friday before last. I
have
> been posting about it frequently on here with great help from everyone.
He
> was doing pretty good last week, although not peeing in amounts that I was
> thrilled about, but, the vet said that as long as he was peeing,
everything
> was ok. Now, over the weekend, he started peeing frequently but in very
> small amounts. I called the vet on Monday and told her that I wanted to
come
> in and have him checked because I am a nervous wreck. So, I have an
> appointment for tomorrow morning. Now, last night when I got home, I
watched
> him in the litter box, and he was straining but got a tiny bit out, he
then
> turned around, strained and nothing came out, and then he turned around
again
> and a little came out. At this point, I am convinced that he is blocked
> again. But, since that time, he has been peeing a river, and frequently!
> got home about 1/2 hour and he has peed about 3 or 4 times about half the
> size of my palm, which, for him lately, is huge (he was peeing in amounts
the
> size of a dime to a quarter)! So, I am very happy about this and after
> speaking with a friend last night who is a vet tech she told me that he
> possibly had a little grit in there that he managed to get out. My
question
> is, should I still bring him into the vet tomorrow (I have another
> appointment on November 3rd which he is definitely going to to be neutered
> and to have another urinalysis). I don't want to stress him out again by
> bringing in him tomorrow (he was extremely despondent at the vet's when he
> had his blockage, nevermind the additional vet bill). Plus, the said that
> they would put another catheter in him to get the urine out which I am not
> too happy about as I have read the more times they have the catheter the
more
> likely they will block in the future. My only concern right now is that
he
> is cleaning himself down there pretty often (especially after he pees),
but,
> he is peeing an awful lot. What do you guys think? Thanks everyone! You
> have all been wonderful through this experience.

Is he still straining? If not, and as long as he's urinating- and the
volume is increasing, I'd hold off bringing him in right now- I'd just watch
him closely. Catheterization itself can cause inflammation or even worse-
urethral injury. So, I wouldn't catheterize him again unless it was
absolutely
necessary. I'd probably opt for an x-ray for a quick stone check before
another catheterization.

Try to relax a bit.

Good luck,

Phil

Rhonda
October 18th 06, 02:02 AM
MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> But, since that time, he has been peeing a river, and frequently! I
> got home about 1/2 hour and he has peed about 3 or 4 times about half the
> size of my palm, which, for him lately, is huge (he was peeing in amounts the
> size of a dime to a quarter)! So, I am very happy about this and after
> speaking with a friend last night who is a vet tech she told me that he
> possibly had a little grit in there that he managed to get out.

Hi MoMo, your cat peeing 3-4 times in a half hour is quite a bit. That
is great that he's not blocked, but he could still have crystals or
maybe something irritating in there.

What you might do is what we did for our scared cat with a UTI -- we
took in a sample of his urine from home for a followup. It worked out
well and we didn't have to stress him out with another trip!

Ask your vet about it, but ours gave us a little baggie of plastic,
non-absorbant crystals to use as litter. I put a tiny bit of his regular
litter in the middle of the box because he seemed a little weirded out
by the crystals.

I secluded him in one room with the box (and me!) and fed him lots of
wet food with water added. I made it very soupy, then waited. After he
went, I syringed up a sample from the box and ran to the vet! I believe
the vet said if it's going to be more than an hour or so until you can
take it in, to refrigerate it. I don't remember the exact time.

Good luck with your cat,

Rhonda