PDA

View Full Version : How did you decide when it's "time"?

The Other Mike
October 18th 06, 02:19 PM
I know everyone is different and every cat is different but wanted
some opinions. I only had to put a cat down once and it was about 4
months ago...it was very obvious that it needed to be done and the
decline came very quickly. Now her 16 yr old brother has been
diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his colon which is causing him
constipation and discomfort. Xrays also showed cancer in the lungs
(though no problems breathing) and a spot on his liver.

The bad....he strains to poop and most of the time nothing comes out
(he's on lots of lactulose, had numerous enemas before knowing it was
a tumor and gets Subq fluids everyday). He doesn't come to the door
when we get home anymore and he also takes a long time to just lay
down like he has alot of discomfort. He also doesn't play with our
other cat anymore.

The good...he's on a steroid which made him more alert...he's still
interested in eating and drinking...weight loss has stopped (he's at
12lbs now)...he still purrs when you pet and talk to him...he's still
interested in going out on the patio for a little while when we get
home from work. So there's still some interest in living. Watching
him in discomfort though kills us...but I don't know if I can put a
still purring loving cat down. Has anyone been in this type of
situation and what told you it was "time"?

cybercat
October 18th 06, 02:38 PM
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
>I know everyone is different and every cat is different but wanted
> some opinions. I only had to put a cat down once and it was about 4
> months ago...it was very obvious that it needed to be done and the
> decline came very quickly. Now her 16 yr old brother has been
> diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his colon which is causing him
> constipation and discomfort. Xrays also showed cancer in the lungs
> (though no problems breathing) and a spot on his liver.

Mike, the one time I had to do this, I waited too long.

I found out all about how well "denial" works in me, and
it was really disturbing.

The thing is, there was nothing physically wrong with her, she
just would not eat. I could not put her through any more vet stuff,
she was 20 years old. I let her waste away. I kept trying to feed
her baby food and water, thinking, she will perk up.

There was no outward sign she was suffering but starving is suffering.

If I were in your shoes, and my cat had the diagnosis yours does now,
I don't think I would wait long. We have the power to save them
from suffering. That's more than anyone can legally do for us.

Rene S.
October 18th 06, 02:47 PM
> The good...he's on a steroid which made him more alert...he's still
> interested in eating and drinking...weight loss has stopped (he's at
> 12lbs now)...he still purrs when you pet and talk to him...he's still
> interested in going out on the patio for a little while when we get
> home from work. So there's still some interest in living. Watching
> him in discomfort though kills us...but I don't know if I can put a
> still purring loving cat down. Has anyone been in this type of
> situation and what told you it was "time"?

I am so sorry this is happening. Just curious, have you spoken to your
vet about this? Sometimes an outside person has a different view
because they aren't as close to the situation.

Keep in mind, too, that purring isn't always a sign of happiness. It
can mean many things, including pain. Not trying to scare you, just
something to keep in mind.

Look in his eyes. They can be a window to the soul.

Take care and hugs to you,
Reme

The Other Mike
October 18th 06, 05:11 PM
Yeah...my opinion on my vet from past experiences is that as far as
this type of thing goes, he says what he thinks you want to hear.
Basically he said that when he fills up with stool and no longer eats,
that's when it's time but as long as he seems like a happy cat and
still enjoys life then he's probably ok. But I'm starting to think
differently watching him...my main thing is that I know with cats you
can't tell if they're in pain (he never cries)...so trying to figure
out if he's in pain or just a little uncomfortable is tough.

On 18 Oct 2006 06:47:15 -0700, "Rene S." >
wrote:

>Just curious, have you spoken to your
>vet about this?

dgk
October 18th 06, 06:02 PM
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:19:17 -0400, The Other Mike >
wrote:

>I know everyone is different and every cat is different but wanted
>some opinions. I only had to put a cat down once and it was about 4
>months ago...it was very obvious that it needed to be done and the
>decline came very quickly. Now her 16 yr old brother has been
>diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his colon which is causing him
>constipation and discomfort. Xrays also showed cancer in the lungs
>(though no problems breathing) and a spot on his liver.

You can't win. Either you hate yourself for doing it too early or too
late. They can't talk but they do silently endure pain so we have to
make our best guess. My mistakes have always been keeping them alive
too long. If you're asking the question, the time is likely pretty
soon. Yech, what a horrible decision we have to make. I'm sorry for
your position; we've all shared it. Purrs.

Wendy
October 18th 06, 09:22 PM
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
>I know everyone is different and every cat is different but wanted
> some opinions. I only had to put a cat down once and it was about 4
> months ago...it was very obvious that it needed to be done and the
> decline came very quickly. Now her 16 yr old brother has been
> diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his colon which is causing him
> constipation and discomfort. Xrays also showed cancer in the lungs
> (though no problems breathing) and a spot on his liver.
>
> The bad....he strains to poop and most of the time nothing comes out
> (he's on lots of lactulose, had numerous enemas before knowing it was
> a tumor and gets Subq fluids everyday). He doesn't come to the door
> when we get home anymore and he also takes a long time to just lay
> down like he has alot of discomfort. He also doesn't play with our
> other cat anymore.
>
> The good...he's on a steroid which made him more alert...he's still
> interested in eating and drinking...weight loss has stopped (he's at
> 12lbs now)...he still purrs when you pet and talk to him...he's still
> interested in going out on the patio for a little while when we get
> home from work. So there's still some interest in living. Watching
> him in discomfort though kills us...but I don't know if I can put a
> still purring loving cat down. Has anyone been in this type of
> situation and what told you it was "time"?

So sorry to hear your kitty is this sick.

I'm afraid if he were mine he would be going pretty soon. Cats are really
good at hiding their pain and when it's severe enough that they let us know
I don't like to think about how bad it really is.

My Fluffernutter was diagnosed with cancer everywhere including the liver.
When they told me they couldn't do anything for him, I only waited a short
while before letting him go. He was already feeling sick and was never going
to feel better. I couldn't see the point in waiting until he felt downright
lousy ... but that's just me.

Petzl
October 19th 06, 12:18 AM
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message

|| Yeah...my opinion on my vet from past experiences is that as far as
|| this type of thing goes, he says what he thinks you want to hear.
|| Basically he said that when he fills up with stool and no longer
|| eats, that's when it's time but as long as he seems like a happy cat
|| and still enjoys life then he's probably ok. But I'm starting to
|| think differently watching him...my main thing is that I know with
|| cats you can't tell if they're in pain (he never cries)...so trying
|| to figure out if he's in pain or just a little uncomfortable is
|| tough.
|| On 18 Oct 2006 06:47:15 -0700, "Rene S." >
|| wrote:
||| Just curious, have you spoken to your
||| vet about this?

Fairly good website (IMO)
http://messybeast.com/Oldcat.htm#letgo

--
Petzl
--

Roby
October 19th 06, 02:04 AM
The Other Mike wrote:

> I know everyone is different and every cat is different but wanted
> some opinions. I only had to put a cat down once and it was about 4
> months ago...it was very obvious that it needed to be done and the
> decline came very quickly. Now her 16 yr old brother has been
> diagnosed with a malignant tumor in his colon which is causing him
> constipation and discomfort. Xrays also showed cancer in the lungs
> (though no problems breathing) and a spot on his liver.
>
> The bad....he strains to poop and most of the time nothing comes out
> (he's on lots of lactulose, had numerous enemas before knowing it was
> a tumor and gets Subq fluids everyday). He doesn't come to the door
> when we get home anymore and he also takes a long time to just lay
> down like he has alot of discomfort. He also doesn't play with our
> other cat anymore.
>
> The good...he's on a steroid which made him more alert...he's still
> interested in eating and drinking...weight loss has stopped (he's at
> 12lbs now)...he still purrs when you pet and talk to him...he's still
> interested in going out on the patio for a little while when we get
> home from work. So there's still some interest in living. Watching
> him in discomfort though kills us...but I don't know if I can put a
> still purring loving cat down. Has anyone been in this type of
> situation and what told you it was "time"?

My 12 yo cat has what sounds like the same thing. A bowel resection
early in July restored colon function. The pathology report said
"clean margins". We did chemo anyway. It went very well.

Yesterday we visited the oncologist for a check-up. He found a small
tumors in one lung and another in the liver. He said he'd taken his
best shot at a cure and it didn't work. He said we might get another
month or two. He gave me a month's worth of Ovaban ... said it will
make him feel better. Perhaps that's what your cat is taking.

Until yesterday's visit, I thought all was well. The news was like
getting struck by lightning. I'm not bitter, just numb.

I don't have an answer for you, but we're travelling the same road.
I have had to decide when life ends twice before (cats with cancer).
It's hard. Be as objective as you can and try to judge overall
quality of life. Keep in mind that he won't get better. At some
point, you owe it to your cat (and yourself) to mercifully stop
the pain. No one knows him better than you.

I share your sorrow,
Roby

-L.
October 19th 06, 06:22 AM
The Other Mike wrote: Has anyone been in this type of
> situation and what told you it was "time"?

Here's a link that might help:
http://angelshavenhere.homestead.com/makingthedecision.html

-L.

Rhonda
October 19th 06, 07:16 AM
It's a horrible decision, but I tend to agree with your vet. I also
would have a hard time putting a cat to sleep if it is still purring
(not purring in pain) and seems happy most of the time. Some people can
take their animals in when they have a teriminal illness and they don't
want the animal to suffer in the future, but we've always been in the
category of waiting probably a little too long.

This decision is so hard for us to make, I don't think it's wrong to
make sure that we are ready, too. I think it's normal to have lingering
doubts and questions after the fact, and I've never wanted to add to all
of those emotions the doubt of if we took them in too early.

I hope she lets you know when it's time. I'm sorry you have to go
through this, especially so soon after your other cat.

Rhonda

The Ranger
October 20th 06, 02:51 PM
The Other Mike > wrote in message
> I know everyone is different and every cat is different
> but wanted some opinions.
[snip]
> Has anyone been in this type of situation and what
> told you it was "time"?

Yes. I can remember that day with such clarity...

As you said, it's going to be different with you but you'll know by
just listening, looking, and touching him. The pain will be too much
for him to move, the medicine won't show any benefits, and he'll
start to make himself more-and-more scarce.

Good luck. my two, 14-yo litter mates, are starting to show their
oncoming senior citizen status.

The Ranger

The Other Mike
October 21st 06, 02:34 AM
wrote:

> Has anyone been in this type of
>situation and what told you it was "time"?

Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I realized that if you post to
a newsgroup asking when it's time, it probably means it is time. We
gave him a couple of more days and he was going downhill....couldn't
bear to see him like that anymore. As hard as it was, we put him down
tonight and he went very peacefully. Thanks for the help in making
this difficult decision.

cybercat
October 21st 06, 02:42 AM
"The Other Mike" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 09:19:17 -0400, The Other Mike >

>As hard as it was, we put him down
> tonight and he went very peacefully. Thanks for the help in making
> this difficult decision.

I'm sorry for your loss. He was so lucky to have you there to take care of
him.

-L.
October 21st 06, 08:28 AM
The Other Mike wrote:
> Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I realized that if you post to
> a newsgroup asking when it's time, it probably means it is time. We
> gave him a couple of more days and he was going downhill....couldn't
> bear to see him like that anymore. As hard as it was, we put him down
> tonight and he went very peacefully. Thanks for the help in making
> this difficult decision.

Sorry for your loss - I hope you can find some peace in the days and
weeks to come. It sounds like you did the right thing.

-L.

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 08:44 AM
The Other Mike wrote:

> Thanks for everyone's advice. I think I realized that if you post to
> a newsgroup asking when it's time, it probably means it is time. We
> gave him a couple of more days and he was going downhill....couldn't
> bear to see him like that anymore. As hard as it was, we put him down
> tonight and he went very peacefully. Thanks for the help in making
> this difficult decision.

I'm sorry he was so sick, Mike, and it sounds like you decided at just
the right time. I'm glad it was peaceful, that helps everyone get
through it a little better.

Take care,

Rhonda

Roby
October 21st 06, 03:26 PM
The Other Mike wrote:

> As hard as it was, we put him down tonight and he
> went very peacefully.

Mike:

You and he shared many happy times. For now, you have
all those memories. Down the road, you'll get together
again.

You made the right decision.

Roby