PDA

View Full Version : First TNR final score is...

RobZip
October 18th 06, 07:13 PM
..... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one casualty
that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
original spots.
The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here won't
be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing the
animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung around
circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking up a
storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose. When
she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each trip she
made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he went with
her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be adopted, he was
the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4 others were
adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

Edna Pearl
October 18th 06, 08:14 PM
Oh, that's precious. Lucky BoBo!

ep

"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .
> .... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one
> casualty that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
> The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
> original spots.
> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
> won't be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing
> the animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung
> around circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking
> up a storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose.
> When she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each
> trip she made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he
> went with her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be
> adopted, he was the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4
> others were adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

meeee
October 19th 06, 12:07 AM
That is a lovely, heartwarming end to the story. That has cheered me up!!
Thanks!

"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .
> .... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one
> casualty that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
> The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
> original spots.
> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
> won't be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing
> the animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung
> around circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking
> up a storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose.
> When she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each
> trip she made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he
> went with her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be
> adopted, he was the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4
> others were adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

22brix
October 19th 06, 06:29 AM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .
> .... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one
> casualty that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
> The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
> original spots.
> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
> won't be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing
> the animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung
> around circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking
> up a storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose.
> When she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each
> trip she made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he
> went with her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be
> adopted, he was the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4
> others were adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

Oh, that's fabulous!! What a sweet kitty!! It's great she was able to take
him.

Rhonda
October 19th 06, 07:43 AM
I'm sorry to hear that one was sick, but I'm so glad it was not spread
to the others!

I loved your story about BoBo being adopted. What a little character,
choosing his new home like that. I love it when cats are that insistent.

And you're right, you couldn't ask for a better outcome, woo hooo!

Rhonda

RobZip wrote:
> .... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released. There was one casualty
> that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
> The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
> original spots.
> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here won't
> be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing the
> animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung around
> circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking up a
> storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose. When
> she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each trip she
> made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he went with
> her, and has a new home! Of all the ones I hoped could be adopted, he was
> the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4 others were
> adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

Phil P.
October 19th 06, 11:39 AM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .
> .... 40 cats trapped, 39 were neutered and released.

Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!

There was one casualty
> that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.

If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive was
probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease prevelance
of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive was
wrong. About how old do you think he was. The older he was the greater
the odds of the positive being false. I have huge battles with certain
rescue groups over testing policies of ferals and strays for FeLV/FIV. The
test kits only cost me less than $10 so I have no problem retesting
positives. I send out all double positives for IFA confirmation. I just
can't let a cat's life depend on a ELISA Snap.

> The rest have been released and are slowly finding their way to their
> original spots.

It was really great that you got them back to their turf quickly- although I
usually hold females overnight. The longer they're away the more it messes
up their little community.

> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
won't
> be rejoining the group. When the lady from Cat Haven was releasing the
> animals, BoBo had to be manually removed from the carrier. He hung around
> circling her feet, standing up and pawing at her hands, and talking up a
> storm the whole time she was opening carriers and setting cats loose. When
> she was done, he was still there, following her to the truck each trip she
> made putting carriers away. When she was finally ready to go, he went with
> her, and has a new home!

Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a stray
colony than feral.

Of all the ones I hoped could be adopted, he was
> the one I wanted to see it happen for the most. I'm told 4 others were
> adopted as well. 'Couldn't ask for a better outcome.

There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there? ;)

Let me know when you have another round up.

Phil

RobZip
October 19th 06, 11:42 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> I'm sorry to hear that one was sick, but I'm so glad it was not spread to
> the others!
>
> I loved your story about BoBo being adopted. What a little character,
> choosing his new home like that. I love it when cats are that insistent.
>
> And you're right, you couldn't ask for a better outcome, woo hooo!

The Humane Society worker had left behind a medium size carrier in my tool
shed that she didn't have room for in her van. I took it back out there
Tuesday afternoon. She was there and told me the outcome of the whole thing.
BoBo is a charmer all the way. As I said in my earlier description, he fears
nothing....
He made a great friend out of the neighbor's dog, a basset/beagle mix. The
dog is very boisterous- enough to drive most cats up the nearest tree. BoBo
had walked in their house one day when the kids left a door cracked open a
bit. The dog was doing his usual yap and woof routine at Bobo. BoBo finally
turned and put his nose right up against the dog's and the poor mutt was so
taken back by it, he couldn't move! After that they would play when the dog
was on his outside rope, BoBo prancing about just out of range. I recall the
neighbor girl walking the dog one day and BoBo strutting along about 10
steps behind, all stiff legged, tail straight out behind him and puffed up.
He was stalking the dog. 'Dog kept turning to look back and each time BoBo
would draw down into a crouch like he was going to pounce. Finally BoBo
sprinted ahead, stood on hind legs and slapped the dog on each side of his
rump with both front paws. 'Dog broke free and took off chasing BoBo. They
made a few laps around a parked car, finally ending up on opposite sides,
peeking under it at each other. The girl recovered the leash and BoBo tagged
along for the rest of the walk.

He is an extremely sociable animal. Any open door is an invitation to make
friends. I've heard any number of stories of him walking right in with
various people in the area as they carried groceries inside. Every kid in
the area had their own name for him.
I would have kept him myself but it just wouldn't work. I have 4 inside
right now that have a very tight, firmly established hierarchy. BoBo is very
strong willed for being such a little guy. We tried him out inside for a few
weeks but it upset the order of things so badly, we just couldn't make it
work. Him and Bubbles would still sprint inside every chance they got. BoBo
especially made it a point to sneak in during mornings when milk would be
around. He would sit and watch my son eat cereal, but never jumped up and
hassled him for milk. My boy would always let him have the leftover milk in
his bowl. 'Same thing when I had coffee. He would sit and stare at the milk
jug, never made a sound, just tried to laservision a hole in the jug. He
would always sit at the same spot, where I would put a saucer down for him
and load it up. He was asking in the strongest terms he could but was well
mannered enough not to attack no matter how badly he wanted it. That Cat
Haven lady is in for a lot of surprises over the next few weeks as BoBo
explores her limits. She just got herself one helluva unique cat.

RobZip
October 19th 06, 12:21 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!

Actually it was two days. Started seting traps Sunday afternoon, finished up
Monday morning.

> There was one casualty
>> that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.

> If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive was
> probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
> serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease
> prevelance
> of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive
> was
> wrong. About how old do you think he was.

This was a young male - maybe a year old and was a fairly recent arrival
here- again, probably a dumped cat. I don't know details on testing used.
It's probably best I don't push the matter. The various personalities
involved in animal work here are still a bit guarded after all the
controversy of recent years and tend to be a bit cliqueish.

>> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
> won't
>> be rejoining the group.
> Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a stray
> colony than feral.

The mix of stray/abandoned animals is probably 2/3 of the population around
here. It's surprising how stroi\ng feral behavior traits are among them.

> There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there? ;)

That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety charming
and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone around
here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold. I'll
clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
animals group later today.

Phil P.
October 19th 06, 06:56 PM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Wow! That's fantastic for one day! That's fantastic-- period!
>
> Actually it was two days. Started seting traps Sunday afternoon, finished
up
> Monday morning.

That's less than 24 hours! 40 cats? That's great!

> > There was one casualty
> >> that tested positive for feline leukemia and was put down.
>

> > If all the other cats from the area all tested negative- his positive
was
> > probably false- especially if they used a whole blood sample instead of
> > serum. Out of 40 cats, one cat tested positive- that's a disease
> > prevelance
> > of like less than 0.1%. So, there's a 90% chance that the ELISA postive
> > was
> > wrong. About how old do you think he was.
>
> This was a young male - maybe a year old and was a fairly recent arrival
> here- again, probably a dumped cat.

Maybe he was dumped because he tested positive. That wouldn't be unusual.

I don't know details on testing used.
> It's probably best I don't push the matter. The various personalities
> involved in animal work here are still a bit guarded after all the
> controversy of recent years and tend to be a bit cliqueish.

I know whatcha mean. I just merntioned it FYI. FeLV/FIV testing in ferals
is a volatile subject.

> >> The little orange tiger male, BoBo, that was the star of the show here
> > won't
> >> be rejoining the group.
> > Wow! That's great! How many were adoptable? Its sounds more like a
stray
> > colony than feral.
>
> The mix of stray/abandoned animals is probably 2/3 of the population
around
> here. It's surprising how stroi\ng feral behavior traits are among them.

Its one of their survival mechanisms that they can revert back to when they
have to. I kinda like the wild side of domestic cats.

> > There's always one that just gets to you, isn't there? ;)
>
> That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety charming
> and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone
around
> here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold.

Kinda shakes your faith in human nature when you see a cat like that dumped.

I'll
> clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
> animals group later today.

I'd like to see them.

RobZip
October 19th 06, 09:56 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:a%[email protected]

>> That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety
>> charming
>> and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone
>> around here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped gold.
>
> Kinda shakes your faith in human nature when you see a cat like that
> dumped.

I've lost my faith in human nature a long time ago. I believe that all
humanity is created equal - equally ****ing worthless- until some random
lightning strike plants a redeemable quality in some. Ooops... sorry, some
of my latent sociopath slipped out.

> I'll
>> clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
>> animals group later today.
>

> I'd like to see them.
several of them in alt.binaries.pictures.animals

Rhonda
October 20th 06, 07:19 AM
RobZip wrote:
> He would sit and stare at the milk jug, never made a sound, just
> tried to laservision a hole in the jug. He would always sit at the
> same spot, where I would put a saucer down for him and load it up. He
> was asking in the strongest terms he could but was well mannered
> enough not to attack no matter how badly he wanted it. That Cat Haven
> lady is in for a lot of surprises over the next few weeks as BoBo
> explores her limits. She just got herself one helluva unique cat.

Oh, he sounds like a character! I love those cats with extra
personality. Didn't you say he is orange? I think those orange guys have
got some extra orneriness.

I hope the Cat Haven lady will let you know how he's doing. He'll
probably settle right in on her couch.

For some reason, I can't pull up the pictures on the binary group. I'll
try again tomorrow.

Rhonda

RobZip
October 20th 06, 11:58 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> RobZip wrote:
> > He would sit and stare at the milk jug, never made a sound, just
> > tried to laservision a hole in the jug. He would always sit at the
> > same spot, where I would put a saucer down for him and load it up. He
> > was asking in the strongest terms he could but was well mannered
> > enough not to attack no matter how badly he wanted it. That Cat Haven
> > lady is in for a lot of surprises over the next few weeks as BoBo
> > explores her limits. She just got herself one helluva unique cat.
>
> Oh, he sounds like a character! I love those cats with extra
> personality. Didn't you say he is orange? I think those orange guys have
> got some extra orneriness.

Yup - he's orange alright. Any open door was an invitation to him. He's
followed me to visit various folks in the neighborhood and walked right in a
few times. He would do a little exploring around, but usually came to hang
out with me pretty close until it was time to leave. If something caught his
interest, he would stay behind until he wore out his welcome. He always came
back at some point. He had figured out that there was a bit of slack in the
fit of my storm door against the latch, and that he could 'knock' by
standing on back legs and shoving the door with front paws to make it
rattle. I miss him around here already, but am extremely happy that he has a
full time home to be loved in and a full time stage to display his
personality.

> I hope the Cat Haven lady will let you know how he's doing. He'll
> probably settle right in on her couch.

He's fully couch socialized :) I'll give things a while for him to settle in
then check up on him.

Phil P.
October 20th 06, 02:32 PM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
. ..

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:a%[email protected]
> >>
> >> That Boy was just plain special. I don't just mean garden variety
> >> charming
> >> and cute, but seriously different in ways that stood out to everyone
> >> around here. That Cat Haven lady got herself a piece of fur wrapped
gold.

> > Kinda shakes your faith in human nature when you see a cat like that
> > dumped.
>
> I've lost my faith in human nature a long time ago. I believe that all
> humanity is created equal - equally ****ing worthless- until some random
> lightning strike plants a redeemable quality in some. Ooops... sorry, some
> of my latent sociopath slipped out.

Talking about losing faith in human nature-- we just rescued a sweet little
Bijon mix. Some psycho poured acid or some kind of burning liquid on his
back. The poor dog has third degree burns and is going to need skin grafts.
I'm thankful the right ACO was on duty at the time and called us- otherwise,
the sweet little guy would have been euthanized.

The story has been all over the news- ch 2,4,7, & local 12. If you have a
high speed connection you can view the news broadcast on my site:
http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/SnowComplete.mpg. The file is112 mb.

This wanton cruelty has really infuriated a lot of people- especially
certain people who you really don't want to **** off. Most animal abusers
usually get off with token slaps on the wrist- but the psycho who did this
is going to fry. The smartest thing he could do is turn himself in and
consider himself lucky if he gets a few years in the slam-- if you take my
meaning. I can't say any more.

> > I'll
> >> clean up some pics I have of him, reduce the file sizes and post in the
> >> animals group later today.
> >

> > I'd like to see them.
> several of them in alt.binaries.pictures.animals

BoBo looks like a mush- but I'm a little partial to Sad Eyes. I'm sure
someone must have scooped him right up because he looks so sad.

It must be the orange tabby gene that makes the orange males mushes.
Everyone I know who has an orange male says they're mushes. One of my
(permanent) fosters is a *big* orange male- he starts purring as soon as you
look at him! You can actually hear him purr from 5 feet away!

http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Neo-Close-up.jpg

http://maxshouse.com/album/neo-spread.jpg

Any news on the "other matter"?

Phil

RobZip
October 20th 06, 07:04 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:[email protected]

> Any news on the "other matter"?
>
> Phil
Did you get my email last week about that? Last I heard was the guy was
arrested, charged with criminal mischief and second degree misdemeanor
animal abuse. His parole officer is supposed to submit a violator hold that
will keep him locked up pending disposition of these charges. Even if he
would escape outright conviction, he could still be sent back for the
remainder of his original time. The prosecutor said that I'm viewed as the
complainant/victim in this and that's why they insist no contact between me
and the witnesses and especially no contact with the perp. 'Looks like no
matter how this case ends up, he's going back.
Guys familiar with the parole system tell me that any arrest where there is
substantial fact to prove you did something, regardless of criminal court
outcome, is good enough to make a violation out of. There are two
independent witnesses that both gave statements - the neighbor I spoke to
and a driver who called in also gave one. I'll get some Preparation-H and
soap on a rope ready for his going away present.

October 20th 06, 10:24 PM
"RobZip" <no > wrote:

> I'll get some Preparation-H and
>soap on a rope ready for his going away present.

Forget the Prep-H. Let the speed bumps add to his experience.

-mhd

Phil P.
October 21st 06, 03:16 PM
"RobZip" <no > wrote in message
.. .

> "Phil P." > wrote in message
> news:[email protected]
> >
> > Any news on the "other matter"?
> >
> > Phil
> Did you get my email last week about that?

Yeah- I just found it... My inbox is an atrocity.

Last I heard was the guy was
> arrested, charged with criminal mischief and second degree misdemeanor
> animal abuse. His parole officer is supposed to submit a violator hold
that
> will keep him locked up pending disposition of these charges. Even if he
> would escape outright conviction, he could still be sent back for the
> remainder of his original time. The prosecutor said that I'm viewed as the
> complainant/victim in this and that's why they insist no contact between
me
> and the witnesses and especially no contact with the perp. 'Looks like no
> matter how this case ends up, he's going back.
> Guys familiar with the parole system tell me that any arrest where there
is
> substantial fact to prove you did something, regardless of criminal court
> outcome, is good enough to make a violation out of. There are two
> independent witnesses that both gave statements - the neighbor I spoke to
> and a driver who called in also gave one. I'll get some Preparation-H and
> soap on a rope ready for his going away present.

What I would do, hypothetically of course, is find out whose doing a lot of
time for murder or armed robbery in the same prison then have a friend go
visit him and ask him if his family needs money....

The problem with cases like this where the low-lifes are already getting
jail time, is the sentences usually run concurrently which doesn't usually
add any jail time- unless the new sentence is longer than the original
sentence.

In our case, the scum bag who burned the dog faces a maximum of 6 months on
each charge which is only a maximum of one year and $2K fine. If I get to
the low-life first- he'll wish he was stillborn because when I got done with
him it would take much longer than a year before he could eat or breathe
without tubes attached to him. He'll need a fast wheelchair to catch
another dog to harm.

Here's the story that was in the papers:
http://maxshouse.com/urgent_matters/snowy-story-print.htm I added the
pictures and the PayPal link.

Here's the link to the original story:
http://www.bergenrecord.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkzJmZnYmVs N2Y3dnFlZUVFeXk3MDA3MDUy

You really got to meet this dog--he's one of the sweetest and most lovable
dogs I've ever met.

RobZip
October 21st 06, 03:55 PM
"Phil P." > wrote in message
news:%[email protected]
> The problem with cases like this where the low-lifes are already getting
> jail time, is the sentences usually run concurrently which doesn't usually
> add any jail time- unless the new sentence is longer than the original
> sentence.

I have no information on what remains of his original sentence or
specifically what those charges were. The best consolation I can take from
this is that what he did involving those cats is directly bringing about
incarceration for him. From what I hear of his family, they're all normal,
hard working, well educated people. This guy got the 'Idon't give a ****
gene' and has blackened the family name ever since. I've not been in any
contact with them, as ordered, but I can empathize with how it is living in
the shadow of someone else's misdeeds..

Interesting thing about the placement of the burns on Snowy. You couldn't
pick a more painful place to cause maximum discomfort and interference with
normal function than that. The torture beyond common cruelty element is
apparent.