PDA

View Full Version : how to get a stool sample?

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 19th 06, 01:10 AM
My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample to
get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction. so
how does this work? here's my plan:

wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off tomorrow?
will that make it unusable?

Buddy's Mom
October 19th 06, 01:27 AM
That is what I would do.

kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
> My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample to
> get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction. so
> how does this work? here's my plan:
>
> wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
> ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off tomorrow?
> will that make it unusable?

mlbriggs
October 19th 06, 01:41 AM
On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:27:10 -0700, Buddy's Mom wrote:

> That is what I would do.
>
> kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
>> My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample to
>> get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction. so
>> how does this work? here's my plan:
>>
>> wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
>> ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off tomorrow?
>> will that make it unusable?
>>
>> --

IMHO I'd put the ziplock in an old glass jar with a very tight lid
also.MLB

MaryL
October 19th 06, 02:47 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 18 Oct 2006 17:27:10 -0700, Buddy's Mom wrote:
>
>> That is what I would do.
>>
>> kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:
>>> My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample
>>> get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further
>>> instruction. so
>>> how does this work? here's my plan:
>>>
>>> wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
>>> ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off
>>> tomorrow?
>>> will that make it unusable?
>>>
>>> --
>

> IMHO I'd put the ziplock in an old glass jar with a very tight lid
> also.MLB

I think that would be best (or just put the ziplock bag in your garage, if
you have one). Best of all is if you can get a "fresh" sample. My vet was
not able to use a sample that I took in several years ago because it had
been in the litter too long and had dried out. He wanted as "recent" a
sample as possible.

MaryL

Phil P.
October 19th 06, 11:39 AM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> My cat has stinky poop. the vet told me this week to get a stool sample
> get for parasites and bring it in - I didn't get any further instruction.
so
> how does this work? here's my plan:
>
> wait until my stinky little stewie poops then scoop it up ant put in a
> ziplock. Can I put it in the fridge (ewww) until I can drop it off
tomorrow?
> will that make it unusable?

Get a sample tonight. Turn a Ziplock bag inside out and use it as glove to
pick up some poop. Then turn the bag inside out again so its in its normal
position with the poop inside. Put the bag in the refrigerator- not the
freezer- until tomorrow. If you refrigerate it, poop stays good enough for
a fecal exam for about 24 hours. If you can't get a fresh sample before you
leave for the vet, use the sample in the fridge.

Phil