PDA

View Full Version : Preventing mats

---MIKE---
October 19th 06, 01:50 PM
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
October 19th 06, 04:45 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

If you brush him every day, how can he have mats?

Using ANY brush?

-L.
October 19th 06, 05:44 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
> I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
> What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Not a brush - use a medium-toothed grooming comb, preferably one that
is teflon-coated. You need to groom him from the hindquarters forward,
by lifting a section of hair and combing the hair *underneath* from
base to tip. Then release a bit more hair and repeat. Work your way
to the front of the cat. Use a fine-toothed comb on paws and face, and
any other areas where the hair tends to be shorter. (Or while his hair
is still short from the shave). You need to comb him every other day,
minimally, and until you get good at it, it may take as much as 45
minutes to an hour to do it properly.

Some day I will take some photos to demonstrate this technique. It's
much easier than it sounds.

Good luck,
-L.

---MIKE---
October 19th 06, 08:02 PM
Thank you for the responses but that is NOT what I wanted to know. I
read a report about a brush that did a superior job of preventing and
removing mats. That is what I wanted to find out about.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Phil P.
October 20th 06, 02:27 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA

Hey Mike,

I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.

You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.

This is the comb I use- works great and only costs about $5.00

http://maxshouse.com/misc/sugieoogie_comb.jpg

You can order one from Petsmart or Petco online.

hth,

Phil

---MIKE---
October 20th 06, 07:35 PM
Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

-L.
October 20th 06, 11:48 PM
---MIKE--- wrote:
> Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
> Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
> rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
> aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
> but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

Well, now you have had two people who know a hell of a lot about cats
(Phil who has been in cat rescue and welfare for 45 years, and myself,
who has been a professional cat groomer, vet tech and in animal welfare
and rescue for at something like 15 years) tell you to use a metal
grooming comb. Keep using brushes and your cat will get matts. It
really *is* that simple. Zoom Groom is a waste of money for
long-haired cats, as are all of those other supposed "great" gimmicks
on the market.

-L.

cybercat
October 21st 06, 12:29 AM
"-L." > wrote in message
ps.com...

> ---MIKE--- wrote:
>> Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
>> Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
>> rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
>> aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
>> but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.
>
> Well, now you have had two people who know a hell of a lot about cats
> (Phil who has been in cat rescue and welfare for 45 years, and myself,
> who has been a professional cat groomer, vet tech and in animal welfare
> and rescue for at something like 15 years) tell you to use a metal
> grooming comb. Keep using brushes and your cat will get matts. It
> really *is* that simple. Zoom Groom is a waste of money for
> long-haired cats, as are all of those other supposed "great" gimmicks
> on the market.

Mike still uses WebTV, too. :D

---MIKE---
October 21st 06, 12:38 AM
You can go to hell MARY aka Cybercat. Right now I would be lost without
WebTV. I recently got home from a week in the hospital with Cellulitis.
Sitting at a computer desk would be difficult. Do you also pick on
people because they are black, or hispanic. As they say in England
-"get stuffed".

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

mlbriggs
October 21st 06, 04:01 AM
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 13:27:27 +0000, Phil P. wrote:

> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
> I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
> What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA
>
> Hey Mike,
>
> I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.
>
> You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
> look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
> mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.
>
> This is the comb I use- works great and only costs about $5.00
>
> http://maxshouse.com/misc/sugieoogie_comb.jpg
>
> You can order one from Petsmart or Petco online.
>
> hth,
>
> Phil

What a beautiful cat! MLB

-L.
October 21st 06, 08:27 AM
Phil P. wrote:
> "---MIKE---" > wrote in message
> I had to have Tiger shaved back in June to get rid of a lot of bad mats.
> I want to get a grooming brush that will help me to prevent future mats.
> What is the best one for this purpose (Zoom Groom)? TIA
>
> Hey Mike,
>
> I haven't used the brush you mentioned so I can't offer a recommendation.
>
> You remember my gal Suggie? She's a longhair- all white (blue eyes) that
> look like a Turkish Angora http://maxshouse.com/Ours/Suggie-Oggie.jpg She
> mats badly if I don't comb her every few days.

She's gorgeous, Phil. I am a sucker for a blue-eyed cat, especially if
they are white.

-L.

Phil P.
October 22nd 06, 03:23 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>Thanks Phil. Tiger objects to being combed but does like to be brushed.
Right now I am using a small brush purchased at a barber shop. It is
rubber with "bumps" similar to the "love glove" but a little more
aggressive. I'm not sure how it will work after his hair grows longer
>but Tiger likes to be brushed with it right now.

I saw the Zoom Groom in the store yesterday- it looked interesting so I
tried it out on a few of our cats. They seemed to really enjoy it or maybe
they just loved being stroked. A few cats were rolling all over the place
purring up a storm. It certainly stimulates the skin It definitely works
but you still have to wipe the cat down with a slightly damp towel after
using it because it leaves some loose and broken hairs no matter how much
you brush.

Of course I bought one for my cats-- One of them that loves to be brushed
didn't like it-- you might have the same problem with Tiger because the Zoom
Groom doesn't feel like a brush. The "bristles" are thick, 3/4" high and
1/2" apart, and not as soft or as flexible as a brush. Cats like being
brushed because the brush feels like their mother's tongue. The Zoom Groom
feels more like a rake.

Here's a close up of it:

http://maxshouse.com/misc/zoomgroom-cats.jpg

You might want to try a Corner Groomer- you can use it as a palm brush. The
nubs are longer than the shampoo palm brush you're using now. The 2 brush
pieces separate from the mounting base for cleaning. Just cut the little
catnip box off the bottom and use it as a brush.

http://maxshouse.com/misc/Cat-A-Comb%20Corner.jpg

You also just use a good slicker as long as you don't use too much pressure:

http://maxshouse.com/misc/slicker.jpg

Phil

---MIKE---
October 22nd 06, 04:46 PM
Thanks Phil for helping this degenerate WebTv user :-). I had heard
some good things about the Zoom Groom. When (and if) Tiger's mats get
bad again, I think it would help. It is not expensive so it's worth a
try. He likes to be brushed with the small brush I mentioned but he is
no where near developing mats yet. When his hair gets long, the mats
seem to spring up overnight. I tried one of the mat cutters (with
blades) but this just pulls the hair and hurts him.

Right now, because of the cellulitis, my right leg is swollen and should
be elevated. Thank God for WebTv where I don't have to sit up to a
computer screen!. I also have a torn rotator cuff with the prospect of
possible surgery. It's not easy getting old (77 next month).

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
October 22nd 06, 05:09 PM
I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as
the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
again.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

MaryL
October 22nd 06, 06:25 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as
the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
again.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Holly and Duffy love the Zoom Groom, and it can extract enormous quantities
of fur. I exert a little pressure with it except on the stomach (always
brushing *with* the direction of the fur -- that is from head back to tail),
and they will purr up a storm. It will sometimes leave some loose
"residue," so you may want to finish up by wiping with a slightly damp
towel, as Phil suggested.

Let us know what you think.

MaryL

Phil P.
October 23rd 06, 10:13 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>I just ordered a Zoom Groom from Amazon. The shipping was as much as
the item itself but my only close pet store doesn't carry it. Thanks
>again.

You should have asked me to send you one- you degenerate WebTv user :-). I
would have gladly sent it to make up the difference for the space blankets-
(that only cost me a buck-and-a-half apiece). I go to the stores to check
on the cats and to the post office every day , so its no trouble at all.

Let me know what Tiger thinks of the Zoom Groom.

Phil

---MIKE---
October 23rd 06, 11:31 AM
Did you get the check I sent for the space blankets? I thought I
remembered that it was never cashed. Actually, what I am using now on
the window seats is a piece of "sandwich" aluminum insulation under the
fleece. It has the same reflective property as the space blanket but is
much more durable. I haven't turned on the heating pads but it hasn't
been very cold yet. Also, because of my medical problems I am keeping
the heat 5 degrees higher right now. I am home all day and won't be
skiing this winter.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Phil P.
October 25th 06, 08:14 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>Did you get the check I sent for the space blankets? I thought I
>remembered that it was never cashed.

I appreciate the gesture, Mike, but I couldn't accept it. I couldn't accept
a donation for sending you
the space blankets.

>Actually, what I am using now on
the window seats is a piece of "sandwich" aluminum insulation under the
fleece. It has the same reflective property as the space blanket but is
much more durable. I haven't turned on the heating pads but it hasn't
been very cold yet. Also, because of my medical problems I am keeping
the heat 5 degrees higher right now. I am home all day and won't be
>skiing this winter.

There's an outfit in the UK that makes something like that for about $20.

I hope you have a speedy recovery.

Phil

---MIKE---
October 25th 06, 01:32 PM
I buy the aluminum sandwich materiel in 25 foot rolls to help insulate
the house. Anything I can do to save oil is a help!

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Phil P.
October 25th 06, 05:42 PM
"---MIKE---" > wrote in message
>I buy the aluminum sandwich materiel in 25 foot rolls to help insulate
>the house. Anything I can do to save oil is a help!

You don't mean fiberglass sandwiched between aluminum foil, do you?

PawsForThought
October 25th 06, 05:56 PM
I first use a shedding blade, but it's plastic so it doesn't cut the
coat. Then I brush with a rubber curry brush. Lastly, I use a metal
slicker brush to get up the loose fur left from the curry brush. I
find using this combination works very well. However, one of my cats
is short haired and the other is medium haired. In long haired cats
that are prone to matting, I would definitely agree with others, and
use a comb, at least at first, then follow with a curry brush or metal
slicker. Here's a pic to give you an idea of the types of brushes/combs
there are:

http://www.pet-shop.net/html/ccomb.html

Lauren

---MIKE---
October 26th 06, 12:01 AM
Phil asked:

>You don't mean fiberglass sandwiched
> between aluminum foil, do you?

No. It is bubble wrap sandwiched between aluminum foil.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

---MIKE---
October 26th 06, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the information. I have saved the page. Tiger won't stand
for anything that pulls on the mats. Right now his hair is still pretty
short and I don't expect any mats until spring of 2008. If the zoom
groom doesn't work I will have to check out other options. I have a MAT
Breaker which has five knives. This caused too much pulling of the hair
and Tiger objected to it. When he gets mats, they seem to develop
overnight.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

cybercat
October 26th 06, 12:56 AM
"---MIKE---" > wrote
>Right now his hair is still pretty
>short and I don't expect any mats until spring of 2008.

My, my, you do plan ahead!

:D