PDA

View Full Version : just a little luna update

Kitkat
October 20th 06, 04:07 AM
Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
safe to say she feels MUCH better!

I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause
her to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a
few weeks once she is totally better.

Thanks for your good wishes, friends. This stuff totally sucks! I'm just
relieved she is better!

:)
Pam

cybercat
October 20th 06, 04:56 AM
"Kitkat" > wrote in message
. com...
> Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
> free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
> safe to say she feels MUCH better!
>
> I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
> thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
> hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause her
> to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a few
> weeks once she is totally better.

Pam, don't you work with little germ factories all day?

Kids are the worst for spreading bacterial/viral infections.

Exposure to kids seems to be the one factor that means
lots more colds and such, from my observations.

(Me with no kids, my sisters being teachers and mothers ...)

Glad she is better.

mlbriggs
October 20th 06, 07:12 AM
On Fri, 20 Oct 2006 05:56:58 +0200, cybercat wrote:

> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> . com...
>> Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
>> free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
>> safe to say she feels MUCH better!
>>
>> I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
>> thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
>> hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause her
>> to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a few
>> weeks once she is totally better.
>>

> Pam, don't you work with little germ factories all day?
>
> Kids are the worst for spreading bacterial/viral infections.
>
> Exposure to kids seems to be the one factor that means
> lots more colds and such, from my observations.
>
> (Me with no kids, my sisters being teachers and mothers ...)
>
> Glad she is better.

You are so right about the "little germ factories". The theory now seems
to be that catching germs as a child builds up their resistance.

Rhonda
October 20th 06, 07:26 AM
Kitkat wrote:
> Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
> free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
> safe to say she feels MUCH better!
>
> I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
> thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
> hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause
> her to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a
> few weeks once she is totally better.
>
> Thanks for your good wishes, friends. This stuff totally sucks! I'm just
> relieved she is better!

Hi Pam,

I'm glad Luna is better. If the antibiotics are what made her better --
I wonder if it is an infection, like her teeth. If it was a respiratory
virus it could just be running its course, too.

Teeth problems can look like URI's. Bob-the-cat developed URI symptoms
on one side of his face, it was weird. His one nostril and eye were
running like crazy. Eventually, it went over to the other side but not
as bad. It turned out to be several bad teeth. He and I spent a lot of
time under a towel getting steamed (the only way I could keep him there
was to stay with him) and I was thrilled when he was incredibly better
one day after the teeth extractions.

Good luck to Luna,

Rhonda

-L.
October 20th 06, 08:59 AM
cybercat wrote:
> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
> . com...
> > Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
> > free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
> > safe to say she feels MUCH better!
> >
> > I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
> > thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
> > hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause her
> > to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a few
> > weeks once she is totally better.
> >

> Pam, don't you work with little germ factories all day?
>
> Kids are the worst for spreading bacterial/viral infections.

But not to cats. The rhinoviruses that attack humans don't affect
cats. Zoonotic diseases from domestic cats are fairly odd:
Bartonella henselae (sp?) (cat scratch fever)
Toxoplasmosis
Rabies
Ringworm and other dermatophytes (fairly common)
Hookworms (not all species)
Campylobacter infections
Cryptosporidium infections (these are nasty)
Bacterial infections from cat bites (probably the most common)
Heliobacter pylori (causes ulcers) is now thought to be contracted from
cats in some cases.
There are probably more that I can't remember now. Zoonoses are sort
of my "thing", though I study mainly those diseases which affect
non-human primates.

That being said, it's much more likely the teeth.

-L.

Kitkat
October 20th 06, 01:07 PM
-L. wrote:
> cybercat wrote:
>
>>"Kitkat" > wrote in message
. com...

>>>Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
>>>free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
>>>safe to say she feels MUCH better!
>>>
>>>I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind of
>>>thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and I
>>>hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause her
>>>to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a few
>>>weeks once she is totally better.
>>>

>>Pam, don't you work with little germ factories all day?
>>
>>Kids are the worst for spreading bacterial/viral infections.
>

> But not to cats. The rhinoviruses that attack humans don't affect
> cats. Zoonotic diseases from domestic cats are fairly odd:
> Bartonella henselae (sp?) (cat scratch fever)
> Toxoplasmosis
> Rabies
> Ringworm and other dermatophytes (fairly common)
> Hookworms (not all species)
> Campylobacter infections
> Cryptosporidium infections (these are nasty)
> Bacterial infections from cat bites (probably the most common)
> Heliobacter pylori (causes ulcers) is now thought to be contracted from
> cats in some cases.
> There are probably more that I can't remember now. Zoonoses are sort
> of my "thing", though I study mainly those diseases which affect
> non-human primates.
>
> That being said, it's much more likely the teeth.
>
> -L.

The teeth are really the only thing that makes any sense I guess. As
soon as she is cleared by the doctors, she'll be getting that dental!

:)
Thanks everyone.
Pam

cybercat
October 20th 06, 04:25 PM
"-L." > wrote in message
oups.com...

> cybercat wrote:
>> "Kitkat" > wrote in message
>> . com...
>> > Day 4 of antibiotics and Luna seems to be just about sneeze and sniffle
>> > free. She has been up running around and much more active. I think it's
>> > safe to say she feels MUCH better!
>> >
>> > I have no idea what made her get sick all of a sudden! Does that kind
>> > of
>> > thing just happen? She is an indoor cat! I know she needs a dental and
>> > hope that it was not from her teeth! Seems like an odd thing to cause
>> > her
>> > to be sneezy and sniffly! But, I will be scheduling the dental in a few
>> > weeks once she is totally better.
>> >

>> Pam, don't you work with little germ factories all day?
>>
>> Kids are the worst for spreading bacterial/viral infections.
>
> But not to cats. The rhinoviruses that attack humans don't affect
> cats. Zoonotic diseases from domestic cats are fairly odd:
> Bartonella henselae (sp?) (cat scratch fever)
> Toxoplasmosis
> Rabies
> Ringworm and other dermatophytes (fairly common)
> Hookworms (not all species)
> Campylobacter infections
> Cryptosporidium infections (these are nasty)
> Bacterial infections from cat bites (probably the most common)
> Heliobacter pylori (causes ulcers) is now thought to be contracted from
> cats in some cases.
> There are probably more that I can't remember now. Zoonoses are sort
> of my "thing", though I study mainly those diseases which affect
> non-human primates.
>
> That being said, it's much more likely the teeth.

Thanks for this, Lyn! I had no idea and I bet others didn't either!

22brix
October 20th 06, 04:46 PM
> But not to cats. The rhinoviruses that attack humans don't affect
> cats. Zoonotic diseases from domestic cats are fairly odd:
> Bartonella henselae (sp?) (cat scratch fever)
> Toxoplasmosis
> Rabies
> Ringworm and other dermatophytes (fairly common)
> Hookworms (not all species)
> Campylobacter infections
> Cryptosporidium infections (these are nasty)
> Bacterial infections from cat bites (probably the most common)
> Heliobacter pylori (causes ulcers) is now thought to be contracted from
> cats in some cases.
> There are probably more that I can't remember now. Zoonoses are sort
> of my "thing", though I study mainly those diseases which affect
> non-human primates.

Cats and dogs can harbour Strep. pyogenes (strep throat) so that even if a
person has been treated they can be reinfected by the pets. I don't know if
it's true for all cases but when a family keeps getting reinfected with
strep it's recommended that the animals be treated also.

> That being said, it's much more likely the teeth.

I agree.

Bonnie