PDA

View Full Version : Help me my kitten wont drink and he sleeps all the time

October 21st 06, 05:59 AM
I just got a kitten a little longer than a week ago and at first we
gave him dry food and he was fine for a little bit but a couple days
ago he stopped eating for a couple days and drinking. We gave him some
milk but later we found out it was bad for him and he got diarrhea but
right now I think his diarrhea is fine. But I went down and got some
wet food for him and right when I put it down he shot over to it and
ate a lot of it but later I tried to give him more of it but he didnt
want any. Maybe he is really picky i'm not sure but today in the
morning I tried to give him a little bit of the canned food but a
different one and he ate a little bit and went away. Then later I tried
opening a little bag of wet food with chicken and gravy and he ate some
of it and licked the gravy but after that he didnt want anymore. So
because he wasnt drinking anything my mom went and got some "Pediatric
Electrolyte" for babies and a syringe so we tried giving him some with
the syringe. He drank a little bit but he didnt want to take it at all
but later we opened a can of tuna because he wasnt eating anything and
he dove straight into that and he was licking the "juices" from it so
we put some of the Pediatric Electrolyte in it and he drank some of
that mixed with the tuna. After that I was home with him and he was
sleeping for so long I put him on my bed and he pee'd on my bed I took
him off and held him while he kept peeing on my floor (thank goodness I
have hardwood) he pee'd quite a bit so i'm not sure whats going on but
after he pee'd I took him to his litter box and he pooped in that a
tiny bit. Could anyone tell me what we should do? My mom thinks he
might die but this is our first time taking care of a kitten.

I really dont want him to die please help me

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 08:51 AM
Flare,

How old is your kitten? He might have been too young to be taken from
his mother. KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) is what you should always use
instead of cow's milk for a small kitten.

Didn't you take you kitten to the vet once? I don't remember your whole
story. I think he needs to get back to the vet and make sure he doesn't
have an infection or an illness that needs to be treated. Do you have a
good vet?

If they rule out anything medical, the vet can give you tips on how to
feed a young kitten that maybe wasn't totally weaned. It takes awhile
for their systems to adjust to food, but your kitten shouldn't be going
without eating for a day or more.

I'm sorry the kitty isn't doing well. I hope you can get him to a good
vet tomorrow to see what's going on.

Take care,

Rhonda

wrote:
> I just got a kitten a little longer than a week ago and at first we
> gave him dry food and he was fine for a little bit but a couple days
> ago he stopped eating for a couple days and drinking. We gave him some
> milk but later we found out it was bad for him and he got diarrhea but
> right now I think his diarrhea is fine. But I went down and got some
> wet food for him and right when I put it down he shot over to it and
> ate a lot of it but later I tried to give him more of it but he didnt
> want any. Maybe he is really picky i'm not sure but today in the
> morning I tried to give him a little bit of the canned food but a
> different one and he ate a little bit and went away. Then later I tried
> opening a little bag of wet food with chicken and gravy and he ate some
> of it and licked the gravy but after that he didnt want anymore. So
> because he wasnt drinking anything my mom went and got some "Pediatric
> Electrolyte" for babies and a syringe so we tried giving him some with
> the syringe. He drank a little bit but he didnt want to take it at all
> but later we opened a can of tuna because he wasnt eating anything and
> he dove straight into that and he was licking the "juices" from it so
> we put some of the Pediatric Electrolyte in it and he drank some of
> that mixed with the tuna. After that I was home with him and he was
> sleeping for so long I put him on my bed and he pee'd on my bed I took
> him off and held him while he kept peeing on my floor (thank goodness I
> have hardwood) he pee'd quite a bit so i'm not sure whats going on but
> after he pee'd I took him to his litter box and he pooped in that a
> tiny bit. Could anyone tell me what we should do? My mom thinks he
> might die but this is our first time taking care of a kitten.
>
> I really dont want him to die please help me

October 21st 06, 09:14 AM
On Oct 21, 12:51 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> Flare,
>
> How old is your kitten? He might have been too young to be taken from
> his mother. KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) is what you should always use
> instead of cow's milk for a small kitten.
>
> Didn't you take you kitten to the vet once? I don't remember your whole
> story. I think he needs to get back to the vet and make sure he doesn't
> have an infection or an illness that needs to be treated. Do you have a
> good vet?
>
> If they rule out anything medical, the vet can give you tips on how to
> feed a young kitten that maybe wasn't totally weaned. It takes awhile
> for their systems to adjust to food, but your kitten shouldn't be going
> without eating for a day or more.
>
> I'm sorry the kitty isn't doing well. I hope you can get him to a good
> vet tomorrow to see what's going on.
>
> Take care,
>
> Rhonda

The kitten is over 6 weeks old I know that but probably over 7 weeks
old and we tried to get some KMR today and the lady forgot to put it in
our bag... of course the one thing we really need she forgets. But no
we didnt take him to the vet once how much would it cost us? That's
mostly the problem about taking him to the vet but earlier today he
pooped and it was definitely diarrhea so could him not eating for like
2 days and having diarrhea be the problem? Does he have no energy
because he didnt eat for a while? Thanks for the help Rhonda I really
hope he gets better soon.

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 09:48 AM
wrote:

> On Oct 21, 12:51 am, Rhonda > wrote:
>
>> Flare,
>>
>> How old is your kitten? He might have been too young to be taken
>> from his mother. KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) is what you should
>> always use instead of cow's milk for a small kitten.
>>
>> Didn't you take you kitten to the vet once? I don't remember your
>> whole story. I think he needs to get back to the vet and make sure
>> he doesn't have an infection or an illness that needs to be
>> treated. Do you have a good vet?
>>
>> If they rule out anything medical, the vet can give you tips on how
>> to feed a young kitten that maybe wasn't totally weaned. It takes
>> awhile for their systems to adjust to food, but your kitten
>> shouldn't be going without eating for a day or more.
>>
>> I'm sorry the kitty isn't doing well. I hope you can get him to a
>> good vet tomorrow to see what's going on.
>>
>> Take care,
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> The kitten is over 6 weeks old I know that but probably over 7 weeks
> old and we tried to get some KMR today and the lady forgot to put it
> in our bag... of course the one thing we really need she forgets. But
> no we didnt take him to the vet once how much would it cost us?
> That's mostly the problem about taking him to the vet but earlier
> today he pooped and it was definitely diarrhea so could him not
> eating for like 2 days and having diarrhea be the problem? Does he
> have no energy because he didnt eat for a while? Thanks for the help
> Rhonda I really hope he gets better soon.

Flare, it's really hard to guess what could be wrong with your kitten,
he really needs to see a vet.

A vet exam doesn't cost too much, maybe $30 or so -- and some are open
on Saturdays until noon or a little later. It can get more expensive if
there are tests and medicines, but at least take him to the vet to see
if they can give you some advice. Maybe you can get up early tomorrow
and start calling around. If you have a PetSmart near you, they usually
have a vet practice in the store with longer hours than other clinics.

Kittens can get dehydrated pretty quickly when they have diarrhea so you
don't want to let this go over the weekend. At the very least, maybe you
can get the KMR first thing in the morning.

I know you will do your best. Let me know what happens tomorrow.

Rhonda

October 21st 06, 10:11 AM
On Oct 21, 1:48 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> wrote: >
> > On Oct 21, 12:51 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> >
> >> Flare,
> >>
> >> How old is your kitten? He might have been too young to be taken
> >> from his mother. KMR (Kitten Milk Replacement) is what you should
> >> always use instead of cow's milk for a small kitten.
> >>
> >> Didn't you take you kitten to the vet once? I don't remember your
> >> whole story. I think he needs to get back to the vet and make sure
> >> he doesn't have an infection or an illness that needs to be
> >> treated. Do you have a good vet?
> >>
> >> If they rule out anything medical, the vet can give you tips on how
> >> to feed a young kitten that maybe wasn't totally weaned. It takes
> >> awhile for their systems to adjust to food, but your kitten
> >> shouldn't be going without eating for a day or more.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry the kitty isn't doing well. I hope you can get him to a
> >> good vet tomorrow to see what's going on.
> >>
> >> Take care,
> >>
> >> Rhonda
> >
> > The kitten is over 6 weeks old I know that but probably over 7 weeks
> > old and we tried to get some KMR today and the lady forgot to put it
> > in our bag... of course the one thing we really need she forgets. But
> > no we didnt take him to the vet once how much would it cost us?
> > That's mostly the problem about taking him to the vet but earlier
> > today he pooped and it was definitely diarrhea so could him not
> > eating for like 2 days and having diarrhea be the problem? Does he
> > have no energy because he didnt eat for a while? Thanks for the help
> > Rhonda I really hope he gets better soon.
>
> Flare, it's really hard to guess what could be wrong with your kitten,
> he really needs to see a vet.
>
> A vet exam doesn't cost too much, maybe $30 or so -- and some are open
> on Saturdays until noon or a little later. It can get more expensive if
> there are tests and medicines, but at least take him to the vet to see
> if they can give you some advice. Maybe you can get up early tomorrow
> and start calling around. If you have a PetSmart near you, they usually
> have a vet practice in the store with longer hours than other clinics.
>
> Kittens can get dehydrated pretty quickly when they have diarrhea so you
> don't want to let this go over the weekend. At the very least, maybe you
> can get the KMR first thing in the morning.
>
> I know you will do your best. Let me know what happens tomorrow.
>
> Rhonda

Thanks for the help Rhonda its hard to sleep knowing that he is in pain.

October 21st 06, 10:34 AM
On Oct 21, 2:11 am, wrote:
> On Oct 21, 1:48 am, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> > wrote: >

> > > The kitten is over 6 weeks old I know that but probably over 7 weeks
> > > old and we tried to get some KMR today and the lady forgot to put it
> > > in our bag... of course the one thing we really need she forgets. But
> > > no we didnt take him to the vet once how much would it cost us?
> > > That's mostly the problem about taking him to the vet but earlier
> > > today he pooped and it was definitely diarrhea so could him not
> > > eating for like 2 days and having diarrhea be the problem? Does he
> > > have no energy because he didnt eat for a while? Thanks for the help
> > > Rhonda I really hope he gets better soon.
>
> > Flare, it's really hard to guess what could be wrong with your kitten,
> > he really needs to see a vet.
>
> > A vet exam doesn't cost too much, maybe $30 or so -- and some are open
> > on Saturdays until noon or a little later. It can get more expensive if
> > there are tests and medicines, but at least take him to the vet to see
> > if they can give you some advice. Maybe you can get up early tomorrow
> > and start calling around. If you have a PetSmart near you, they usually
> > have a vet practice in the store with longer hours than other clinics.
>
> > Kittens can get dehydrated pretty quickly when they have diarrhea so you
> > don't want to let this go over the weekend. At the very least, maybe you
> > can get the KMR first thing in the morning.
>
> > I know you will do your best. Let me know what happens tomorrow.
>
> > RhondaThanks for the help Rhonda its hard to sleep knowing that he is in pain.

Its really hard to fall asleep for some reason it's 2:30 AM and when i
try to sleep I for some reason think of bad things happening and I just
start feeling bad for him I dont know what to do.

October 21st 06, 10:36 AM
On Oct 21, 2:34 am, wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2:11 am, wrote:

> > > Flare, it's really hard to guess what could be wrong with your kitten,
> > > he really needs to see a vet.
>
> > > A vet exam doesn't cost too much, maybe $30 or so -- and some are open
> > > on Saturdays until noon or a little later. It can get more expensive if
> > > there are tests and medicines, but at least take him to the vet to see
> > > if they can give you some advice. Maybe you can get up early tomorrow
> > > and start calling around. If you have a PetSmart near you, they usually
> > > have a vet practice in the store with longer hours than other clinics.
>
> > > Kittens can get dehydrated pretty quickly when they have diarrhea so you
> > > don't want to let this go over the weekend. At the very least, maybe you
> > > can get the KMR first thing in the morning.
>
> > > I know you will do your best. Let me know what happens tomorrow.
>
> > > RhondaThanks for the help Rhonda its hard to sleep knowing that he is in pain.Its really hard to fall asleep for some reason it's 2:30 AM and when i
> try to sleep I for some reason think of bad things happening and I just
> start feeling bad for him I dont know what to do.

oh wow right after I said that he threw up is that bad?

Buddy's Mom
October 21st 06, 11:20 AM
Throwing up isn't good. Your kitten could become dehydrated and die.
Please take him to a vet today.

wrote:
> On Oct 21, 2:34 am, wrote:

> > try to sleep I for some reason think of bad things happening and I just
> > start feeling bad for him I dont know what to do.
>
> oh wow right after I said that he threw up is that bad?

October 21st 06, 11:41 AM
On Oct 21, 3:20 am, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
> Throwing up isn't good. Your kitten could become dehydrated and die.
> Please take him to a vet today.
>
> wrote:

> > > try to sleep I for some reason think of bad things happening and I just
> > > start feeling bad for him I dont know what to do.
>
> > oh wow right after I said that he threw up is that bad?

I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Gail Futoran
October 21st 06, 03:05 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...

> I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
> syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
> he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Your kittens should be getting *kitten* food and *kitten* drink like KMR.
Any grocery store should have a variety of canned and dry kitten food.

An exception could be plain canned pumpkin. I've used a little bit of that
(1/4 tsp to 1/2 small can cat food) for my kittens to help with diarrhea.

There are a lot of great sites on the Internet that are free. Rather than
continue to experiment with this kitten, please look at the following which
contain links to a number of articles:
http://www.kittencare.com/
http://cats.about.com/od/kittencare/

Gail F.
Owned by Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa
and the new kids Marcus and Gabby

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 06:09 PM
wrote:

> I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
> syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
> he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.

Flare, what's going on this morning? Where you able to get the kitten to
a vet?

Cats can throw up for lots of reasons and it sounds like your little guy
needs some help -- and you really can't know the best way to help him
until a doctor can tell you what might be going on.

Let me know what happened,

Rhonda

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 06:13 PM
Gail Futoran wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>

>>I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
>>syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
>>he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.
>

> Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
> whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.

Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?

Rhonda

October 21st 06, 07:11 PM
On Oct 21, 10:13 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> Gail Futoran wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>
> >>I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
> >>syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
> >>he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.
>
> > Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
> > whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>
> Rhonda

Well right now I'm just waiting for my brother to get home he didnt
even come home last night and he didnt call but when he gets back were
going to take the kitten right away. How long are the vets open on
Saturdays?

Stacey Weinberger
October 21st 06, 07:12 PM
I'd call them to find out.

Stacey

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>> oups.com...

>> > Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>> > whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.Hmmm, is that true
>> > of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
>> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>
>> Rhonda
>
> Well right now I'm just waiting for my brother to get home he didnt
> even come home last night and he didnt call but when he gets back were
> going to take the kitten right away. How long are the vets open on
> Saturdays?

October 21st 06, 07:34 PM
On Oct 21, 11:12 am, "Stacey Weinberger" >
wrote:
> I'd call them to find out.
>
> Stacey
>
> > wrote in ooglegroups.com...

> >> oups.com...

> >> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
> >> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>
> >> Rhonda
>
> > Well right now I'm just waiting for my brother to get home he didnt
> > even come home last night and he didnt call but when he gets back were
> > going to take the kitten right away. How long are the vets open on
> > Saturdays?

We have an appointment at 1:45 and its 11:30 right now the vet will
probably use a tube to give him liquids and food and would they give us
antibiotics for him?

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 07:40 PM
wrote:

> On Oct 21, 11:12 am, "Stacey Weinberger" >
> wrote:
>
>>I'd call them to find out.
>>
>>Stacey
>>
> wrote in ooglegroups.com...

> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Well right now I'm just waiting for my brother to get home he didnt
>>>even come home last night and he didnt call but when he gets back were
>>>going to take the kitten right away. How long are the vets open on
>>>Saturdays?
>>

> We have an appointment at 1:45 and its 11:30 right now the vet will
> probably use a tube to give him liquids and food and would they give us
> antibiotics for him?

Flare, they'll give you antibiotics if they think he has an infection.
I'm sure they'll go over all of the medications choices with you.

I'm glad you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes!

Are you going to be able to go even if your brother doesn't come home
before then? Do you have another way to get there?

Rhonda

October 21st 06, 07:54 PM
On Oct 21, 11:40 am, Rhonda > wrote:
> wrote:
>
> > On Oct 21, 11:12 am, "Stacey Weinberger" >
> > wrote:
>
> >>I'd call them to find out.
>
> >>Stacey
>
> > wrote in ooglegroups.com...

> > wrote in message
> oups.com...

> > We have an appointment at 1:45 and its 11:30 right now the vet will
> > probably use a tube to give him liquids and food and would they give us
> > antibiotics for him?Flare, they'll give you antibiotics if they think he has an infection.
> I'm sure they'll go over all of the medications choices with you.
>
> I'm glad you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes!
>
> Are you going to be able to go even if your brother doesn't come home
> before then? Do you have another way to get there?
>
> Rhonda

If my brother isnt back my mom will just take me.

October 21st 06, 11:01 PM
On Oct 21, 11:54 am, wrote:
> On Oct 21, 11:40 am, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> > wrote:

> > > wrote in ooglegroups.com...

> > > wrote in message
> > oups.com...

> > > We have an appointment at 1:45 and its 11:30 right now the vet will
> > > probably use a tube to give him liquids and food and would they give us
> > > antibiotics for him?Flare, they'll give you antibiotics if they think he has an infection.
> > I'm sure they'll go over all of the medications choices with you.
>
> > I'm glad you have an appointment. Let us know how it goes!
>
> > Are you going to be able to go even if your brother doesn't come home
> > before then? Do you have another way to get there?
>
> > RhondaIf my brother isnt back my mom will just take me.

I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
help everyone.

cybercat
October 21st 06, 11:19 PM
> wrote
>
> I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
> problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
> and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
> when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
> They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
> updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
> help everyone.

That's great that he started eating. My vet once told me that when cats
stop eating it is a vicious cycle--the less they eat the worse they feel and
the less they feel like eating. Bet the fluids made your kitten feel good
enough
that he got some of his appetite back! Good job!

Rhonda
October 21st 06, 11:36 PM
wrote:

> I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
> problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
> and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
> when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
> They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
> updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
> help everyone.

Yay! That sounds very positive. That's terrific that he feels well
enough to eat. I hope he's over the hump now and will keep feeling better.

I agree with cybercat, you did a great job of helping your cat. I don't
know how old you are, but I'm impressed with your compassion. That was
very touching that you were worried enough about your kitty that you
couldn't sleep and you stayed up with him.

Keep us posted on how he's doing!

Rhonda

October 22nd 06, 12:28 AM
On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> wrote:
> > I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
> > problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
> > and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
> > when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
> > They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
> > updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
> > help everyone.Yay! That sounds very positive. That's terrific that he feels well
> enough to eat. I hope he's over the hump now and will keep feeling better.
>
> I agree with cybercat, you did a great job of helping your cat. I don't
> know how old you are, but I'm impressed with your compassion. That was
> very touching that you were worried enough about your kitty that you
> couldn't sleep and you stayed up with him.
>
> Keep us posted on how he's doing!
>
> Rhonda

Thanks Rhonda and CyberCat I'll make a new discussion everyday about
how he is doing with the antibiotics.

Oh and I'm 14

October 22nd 06, 12:33 AM
On Oct 21, 4:28 pm, wrote:
> On Oct 21, 3:36 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
>

> > wrote:
> > > I just got back and they didnt really say much... i'm not sure what the
> > > problem is but he is dehydrated so they put some liquids under his skin
> > > and right now he's eating! He didnt eat much this morning but right
> > > when we got back he went right over and started eating the wet food.
> > > They also gave us some antibiotics to give him for 10 days I'll keep
> > > updating everyday about how the antibiotics are going thanks for the
> > > help everyone.Yay! That sounds very positive. That's terrific that he feels well
> > enough to eat. I hope he's over the hump now and will keep feeling better.
>
> > I agree with cybercat, you did a great job of helping your cat. I don't
> > know how old you are, but I'm impressed with your compassion. That was
> > very touching that you were worried enough about your kitty that you
> > couldn't sleep and you stayed up with him.
>
> > Keep us posted on how he's doing!
>
> > RhondaThanks Rhonda and CyberCat I'll make a new discussion everyday about
> how he is doing with the antibiotics.
>
> Oh and I'm 14

There are some videos of my kitten Clyde but I dont know how I can put
them up here but I really want to put them up I'll try. Sorry for not
saying his name earlier but yes it is Clyde.

h t t p : / / w w w . y o u t u b e . c o m / w a t c h ? v = x Y R x a
2 E 9 U b k
without spaces sorry its hard to get to

Gail Futoran
October 22nd 06, 03:53 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Gail Futoran wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>

>>>I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
>>>syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
>>>he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.
>>

>> Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>> whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.
>
> Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
> Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>
> Rhonda

I dunno, are all these ingredients healthy for kittens? see
http://www.drugs.com/pdr/pedialyte_oral_electrolyte_maintenance_solution.ht ml

My concern was that the OP appeared to be experimenting with the kitten's
food and drink without having any (apparent) idea of what she was doing. A
safer approach for an ill kitten is
(1) see a vet
Until then,
(2) stick to foods & drink that are made for kittens, or human foods that
are known to be safe for kittens (such as the pure pumpkin I mentioned).

That's why I provided some links for information about the care of kittens.
It's dangerous to assume anything that works for humans will work for
animals. For example, some treatments that work great in dogs are deadly to
cats. Or think about tylenol, onion, many plants and cats.

I did some research (googled "pedialyte electrolytes for kittens") and found
several recipes that used pedialyte electrolytes for kittens in combination
with other products. I'll provide that link here and hope that the recipes
are actually safe for kittens in the quantities given, but I have no way of
knowing.
http://www.hdw-inc.com/glop.htm

It is possible to "kill a young animal with kindness".

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Pampered refugees from the Xenaverse

meeee
October 22nd 06, 04:24 AM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> Gail Futoran wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>>

>>>I'm trying to give him some of the Pediatric Electrolyte with the
>>>syringe but not much seems to be getting down his throat I really hope
>>>he doesnt die soon whenever I try to give him water he gets away.
>>

>> Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>> whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.
>
> Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
> Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>
> Rhonda

I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post) and
she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He said
as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there are no
pet alternatives) they are fine to use.

Gail Futoran
October 22nd 06, 04:55 AM
"meeee" > wrote in message

>>> oups.com...

>>> Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>>> whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.
>>
>> Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
>> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>
>> Rhonda
>>

> I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
> and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
> electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
> said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there
> are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.

That's good to know. I should have done the research online before I
posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew for
sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe old
age and having few ailments.

Gail F.
Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
Escapees from the Xenaverse

meeee
October 22nd 06, 05:23 AM
"Gail Futoran" > wrote in message
> "meeee" > wrote in message

>>> Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>>> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
>>> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>>
>>> Rhonda
>>>

>> I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
>> and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
>> electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
>> said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there
>> are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.
>
> That's good to know. I should have done the research online before I
> posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew for
> sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
> ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
> about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe
> old age and having few ailments.
>
> Gail F.
> Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
> Escapees from the Xenaverse

It's always nice when that happens!! Yes, you're absoluetly right; it's
downright silly to try and use hoomin meds on cats; can have nasty results
if you use the wrong thing, or even too much of the right thing.

Rhonda
October 22nd 06, 06:50 AM
meeee wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Gail Futoran wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>>>whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.
>>
>>Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>>rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
>>Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post) and
> she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
> electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He said
> as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there are no
> pet alternatives) they are fine to use.

Thanks for posting. Electrolytes to a kitten who wasn't drinking didn't
sound like a bad idea to me... I know I've given it to a sick rabbit,
but I thought about it later and we did give it to a failing old cat
during her last few months.

I hope your kitten is doing well.

Rhonda

Rhonda
October 22nd 06, 06:52 AM
Gail Futoran wrote:
> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>
>>Gail Futoran wrote:
>>
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Please stop giving your kitten human food! He cannot digest it, and
>>>whatever his problem is, you're just making it worse.
>>
>>Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>>rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with it.
>>Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>
>>Rhonda
>
> I dunno, are all these ingredients healthy for kittens? see
> http://www.drugs.com/pdr/pedialyte_oral_electrolyte_maintenance_solution.ht ml
>
> My concern was that the OP appeared to be experimenting with the kitten's
> food and drink without having any (apparent) idea of what she was doing. A
> safer approach for an ill kitten is
> (1) see a vet
> Until then,
> (2) stick to foods & drink that are made for kittens, or human foods that
> are known to be safe for kittens (such as the pure pumpkin I mentioned).

Yes, I agree getting the kitten to the vet is the most important, but I
think for a 14 year old taking responsibility for a sick kitten, she was
pretty smart about his care until she could get to the vet.

Rhonda

October 22nd 06, 07:25 AM
On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran" >
wrote:
> "meeee" > wrote in ...

> oups.com...

> >> Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
> >> rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
> >> it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>
> >> Rhonda
>
> > I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
> > and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
> > electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
> > said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there
> > are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.That's good to know. I should have done the research online before I
> posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew for
> sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
> ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
> about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe old
> age and having few ailments.
>
> Gail F.
> Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
> Escapees from the Xenaverse

Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.

Matthew
October 22nd 06, 07:29 AM
I wish I could give you a big high 5 for your work with this kitten. Sorry
I arrived a little late in the discussion. I am glad you took the kitten in
and did not hesitate to listen to the other posters advice.

Just be careful with the syringe real easy to push it in the throat to far

I know I can say this for the group We want pictures

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran" >
> wrote:

>> oups.com...

>> > I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
>> > and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
>> > electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
>> > said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus.
>> > there
>> > are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.That's good to know. I
>> > should have done the research online before I
>> posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew
>> for
>> sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
>> ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
>> about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe
>> old
>> age and having few ailments.
>>
>> Gail F.
>> Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
>> Escapees from the Xenaverse
>
> Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
> start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
> chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
> and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
> the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
> bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
> then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
> coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
> of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
> that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.

October 22nd 06, 07:41 AM
On Oct 21, 11:29 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
> I wish I could give you a big high 5 for your work with this kitten. Sorry
> I arrived a little late in the discussion. I am glad you took the kitten in
> and did not hesitate to listen to the other posters advice.
>
> Just be careful with the syringe real easy to push it in the throat to far
>
> I know I can say this for the group We want pictures
>
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>

> > On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran" >
> > wrote
> >> "meeee" > wrote in

> >> oups.com...

> >> posted. I would still be leary of using a human product unless I knew
> >> for
> >> sure that it was safe for a kitten, especially a kitten with an unknown
> >> ailment(s). I've had cats since the 1960s and I'm still learning things
> >> about them, but then I've been lucky with most of them living to a ripe
> >> old
> >> age and having few ailments.
>
> >> Gail F.
> >> Lao Ma, Ephiny, Minya, Melosa, Marcus, Gabby
> >> Escapees from the Xenaverse
>
> > Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
> > start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
> > chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
> > and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
> > the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
> > bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
> > then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
> > coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
> > of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
> > that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.

Sorry Rhonda but... i'm not a girl but anyway thanks Matthew I put a
video link up a little before you just need to take all of the spaces
out of it.

Rhonda
October 22nd 06, 07:48 AM
wrote:

> Sorry Rhonda but... i'm not a girl but anyway thanks Matthew I put a
> video link up a little before you just need to take all of the spaces
> out of it.

Oops, don't be sorry -- I'm sorry!

I just read your update, you're doing so great with the kitten. That's
weird that he couldn't meow, then was okay after he drank some water. He
must have a dry throat!

Hope he's even better tomorrow, I'll wait to read your update.

Rhonda

Matthew
October 22nd 06, 07:53 AM
http://tinylink.com/?PfqjuC3Uts

I shortened it for everyone

What a cutie congratulations on your new master

> wrote in message
ups.com...

> On Oct 21, 11:29 pm, "Matthew" > wrote:
>> I wish I could give you a big high 5 for your work with this kitten.
>> Sorry
>> I arrived a little late in the discussion. I am glad you took the kitten
>> in
>> and did not hesitate to listen to the other posters advice.
>>
>> Just be careful with the syringe real easy to push it in the throat to
>> far
>>
>> I know I can say this for the group We want pictures
>>
>> > wrote in
>> oglegroups.com...
>>

>> > On Oct 21, 8:55 pm, "Gail Futoran" >
>> > wrote

>> > Here's just a little update of how he is doing after the vet I will
>> > start the antibiotics updating tomorrow. Well he has been eating some
>> > chicken and gravy wet cat and kitten food but he still has no energy
>> > and he has still been sleeping a lot but they gave us a syringe with
>> > the antibiotics and it works so well compared to the other one we
>> > bought. After he slept for a while he woke up and ate some more food
>> > then saw me and went over to me he was trying to meow but nothing was
>> > coming out so I used the syringe and gave him some water and almost all
>> > of it got in him! It was really easy for some reason and right after
>> > that he was meowing fine and he went back to sleep.
>
> Sorry Rhonda but... i'm not a girl but anyway thanks Matthew I put a
> video link up a little before you just need to take all of the spaces
> out of it.

meeee
October 22nd 06, 11:21 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> meeee wrote:
>> "Rhonda" > wrote in message
>>
>>>Gail Futoran wrote:
>>>
> wrote in message
oups.com...

>>>Hmmm, is that true of the elctrolytes? I used to give Pedialyte to my
>>>rabbit when he was not eating or drinking much and the vet agreed with
>>>it. Is there something in Pedialyte that would be harmful to cats?
>>>
>>>Rhonda
>>
>> I just got back from taking my kitten to the vet (more in another post)
>> and she has gastro/bacterial infection and he told me children's gastro
>> electrolyte stuff or a sports drink is needed; 4ml every half hour. He
>> said as these things are readily available in chemists (and in aus. there
>> are no pet alternatives) they are fine to use.
>
> Thanks for posting. Electrolytes to a kitten who wasn't drinking didn't
> sound like a bad idea to me... I know I've given it to a sick rabbit, but
> I thought about it later and we did give it to a failing old cat during
> her last few months.
>
> I hope your kitten is doing well.
>
> Rhonda

Thanks, she's doing much better...and I checked the packet, yes it is
pedialyte I'm giving her. She doesn't like the orange flavour though, I
wonder if it comes in liver?? lol! I am also getting a sample of something
called 'dogade' this week, it's an electrolyte thing for dogs, so I'm going
to have a look and check with my vet, it might prove to be a more
cat-palatable option, as it's a doggy flavoured electrolyte solution,
designed to prevent dehydration in dogs who live in hot climates/work/race
etc. I'll let you guys know if it looks good and works better than
pedialyte. Ie. if she will drink it instead of me trying to squirt it down
her throat, her inhaling half and spitting half out on me, eventually
swallowing enough to justify the whole ordeal, then being wet and
unimpressed with life.

meeee
October 22nd 06, 11:25 PM
You're doing wonderfully flare!! Congrats on your new friend, that is a
great video, and clyde is an adorable little thing!! Here's to you and your
kitty enjoying life together!!

.. .