PDA

View Full Version : Cat behaviorist

Richard
October 21st 06, 06:45 PM
I am in Puerto Rico near San Juan and cannot find an animal behaviorist
to help with a non-medical cat peeing problem. My vet doesn't know
anyone nor do any vets I called. I searched the web without luck.

I have already followed the usual advice - litter boxes, food
placement, etc.

Suggestions?

cybercat
October 21st 06, 07:04 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am in Puerto Rico near San Juan and cannot find an animal behaviorist
> to help with a non-medical cat peeing problem. My vet doesn't know
> anyone nor do any vets I called. I searched the web without luck.
>
> I have already followed the usual advice - litter boxes, food
> placement, etc.

Have you confined the cat to a small, cleanable space with just his/her box
and food and some toys?

You can reprogram them sometimes. So far it is working for my cat who pees
when she gets mad at us. I closed her down in the first level of our
three-level house, away from what she liked to pee on, for about 30 days.
She still had lots of company as that is where my husband's office is, and I
go down there all the time for different things. Anway, I have left the
pocket door open for a week, checking carefully every morning and night, and
she has not peed in her favorite places upstairs. I will have to keep an eye
on her and reinforce the training by closing her down there again if she
starts eliminating inappropriately again, but she's doing great for now.

Hang in there. I bet this is the number one cause of people giving cats up,
or putting them outside. It is very frustrating, but you can manage it. You
can be your own cat behaviorist.

MaryL
October 21st 06, 07:09 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
ups.com...
>I am in Puerto Rico near San Juan and cannot find an animal behaviorist
> to help with a non-medical cat peeing problem. My vet doesn't know
> anyone nor do any vets I called. I searched the web without luck.
>
> I have already followed the usual advice - litter boxes, food
> placement, etc.
>
> Suggestions?

You might want to consider the Tufts University Petfax Program (through
their School of Veterinary Medicine). The Tufts Petfax Program is an online
consulting service for pet behavioral problems. I have read many positive
reports about them, and my sister used the service at one time. She had done
everything she could think of to solve the spraying problem, and her entire
house reeked. This service was very helpful. I think the original
consultation was $198.00 (now $206.00, according to their web site), but it
included an extensive written report and 3 follow-ups (with some options for
telephone consultation). There is a report to fill out first, and the people
who posted about it stressed that it is very important to include *all
details*.

Here are two links --
Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine Petfax Program:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/
About the Petfax Program:
http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/about.html

MaryL

blkcatgal
October 22nd 06, 06:46 PM
Yes, I also suggest that you consider PETFAX if you cannot find an animal
behaviorist. I used this service with my cat who had behavioral issues
(spraying) and Dr. Dodman and his staff helped me and my vet work to correct
my cat's behavior.

Sue

news:[email protected]

> "Richard" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>>I am in Puerto Rico near San Juan and cannot find an animal behaviorist
>> to help with a non-medical cat peeing problem. My vet doesn't know
>> anyone nor do any vets I called. I searched the web without luck.
>>
>> I have already followed the usual advice - litter boxes, food
>> placement, etc.
>>
>> Suggestions?
>>

> You might want to consider the Tufts University Petfax Program (through
> their School of Veterinary Medicine). The Tufts Petfax Program is an
> online consulting service for pet behavioral problems. I have read many
> positive reports about them, and my sister used the service at one time.
> She had done everything she could think of to solve the spraying problem,
> and her entire house reeked. This service was very helpful. I think the
> original consultation was $198.00 (now $206.00, according to their web
> site), but it included an extensive written report and 3 follow-ups (with
> some options for telephone consultation). There is a report to fill out
> first, and the people who posted about it stressed that it is very
> important to include *all details*.
>
> Here are two links --
> Tufts School of Veterinary Medicine Petfax Program:
> http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/
> About the Petfax Program:
> http://www.tufts.edu/vet/petfax/about.html
>
> MaryL

Richard
October 23rd 06, 06:29 PM
Yes, I tried separating him for a while and it didn't work well.

I think it is a terriotorial issue is difficult to solve without him
living by himself in a room.

Richard