PDA

View Full Version : Arrgh week from hell!!

meeee
October 22nd 06, 04:41 AM
Well, the 'stud tail' turned out to be ringworm. Arrrgh!! So off to the vet,
tablets all around, malaseb, stuff to use in my washing machine, uv light to
help spot the ringworm, stuff forus in case we get it. Arrgh! I still have 5
cats to wash today....I did the kittens yesterday. So that's all sorted,
then this morning, my little girl, who is 3 months, didn't want to eat, had
diarhea and was all 'floppy' so I am panicking ringing around trying to find
a vet that's open. I only had the rent money left, so I had to find someone
who wouldn't be charging the whole amount for just the check up, as it's
sunday, otherwise i would have no $$ left for meds. Kittens decline so fast
with diarhea, I wasn't sure she would make it to the vets. Finally found one
who opened for half an hour, on regular fees, but we had to wait until 9.
Meanwhile she was getting weaker and weaker. Finally got her to the vet; he
was great, had the microscope right there to check her stool, apparently she
has a gastro type bacteria, so no more raw food. Seems I would have been ok
(I'm storing it correctly) but the retailer mustn't be storing it correctly.
I used to be able to buy it frozen, which was no worries, but lately they've
only had fresh. So no more; this is pointless. Poor little baby. Anyway I
think I'm changing vets to this guy, I haven't been happy with my vet for a
while; this guy didn't overcharge, was very informative and helpful, and
wasn't stingy with the treatments, which my usual vet is. So I bought more
ringworm tabs, in case it crops up on the others, antibiotic,
anti-inflammatory, and he advised electrolyte solution every 1/2 hour. She
still only has 60-70% chance of making it, so any purrs will be appreciated.
And purrs that I can persuade my RE agent not to kick me out for missing my
rent :*(

mlbriggs
October 22nd 06, 05:56 AM
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:41:00 +0000, meeee wrote:

> Well, the 'stud tail' turned out to be ringworm. Arrrgh!! So off to the vet,
> tablets all around, malaseb, stuff to use in my washing machine, uv light to
> help spot the ringworm, stuff forus in case we get it. Arrgh! I still have 5
> cats to wash today....I did the kittens yesterday. So that's all sorted,
> then this morning, my little girl, who is 3 months, didn't want to eat, had
> diarhea and was all 'floppy' so I am panicking ringing around trying to find
> a vet that's open. I only had the rent money left, so I had to find someone
> who wouldn't be charging the whole amount for just the check up, as it's
> sunday, otherwise i would have no $$ left for meds. Kittens decline so fast
> with diarhea, I wasn't sure she would make it to the vets. Finally found one
> who opened for half an hour, on regular fees, but we had to wait until 9.
> Meanwhile she was getting weaker and weaker. Finally got her to the vet; he
> was great, had the microscope right there to check her stool, apparently she
> has a gastro type bacteria, so no more raw food. Seems I would have been ok
> (I'm storing it correctly) but the retailer mustn't be storing it correctly.
> I used to be able to buy it frozen, which was no worries, but lately they've
> only had fresh. So no more; this is pointless. Poor little baby. Anyway I
> think I'm changing vets to this guy, I haven't been happy with my vet for a
> while; this guy didn't overcharge, was very informative and helpful, and
> wasn't stingy with the treatments, which my usual vet is. So I bought more
> ringworm tabs, in case it crops up on the others, antibiotic,
> anti-inflammatory, and he advised electrolyte solution every 1/2 hour. She
> still only has 60-70% chance of making it, so any purrs will be appreciated.
> And purrs that I can persuade my RE agent not to kick me out for missing my
> rent :*(

Sending get well purrs for the kitten and purring for our finances to
improve. Best wishes too. MLB

Rhonda
October 22nd 06, 06:58 AM
Ah, poor baby. She must just be too young to fight off the bugs.

I hope she gets better quickly, 60-70% is better than half! One of our
cats made it through surgery this year with a 20-25% chance, so maybe
this is a lucky year for cats with orange in them (aren't yours all orange?)

Let us know how she's doing,

Rhonda

meeee wrote:
> Well, the 'stud tail' turned out to be ringworm. Arrrgh!! So off to the vet,
> tablets all around, malaseb, stuff to use in my washing machine, uv light to
> help spot the ringworm, stuff forus in case we get it. Arrgh! I still have 5
> cats to wash today....I did the kittens yesterday. So that's all sorted,
> then this morning, my little girl, who is 3 months, didn't want to eat, had
> diarhea and was all 'floppy' so I am panicking ringing around trying to find
> a vet that's open. I only had the rent money left, so I had to find someone
> who wouldn't be charging the whole amount for just the check up, as it's
> sunday, otherwise i would have no $$ left for meds. Kittens decline so fast
> with diarhea, I wasn't sure she would make it to the vets. Finally found one
> who opened for half an hour, on regular fees, but we had to wait until 9.
> Meanwhile she was getting weaker and weaker. Finally got her to the vet; he
> was great, had the microscope right there to check her stool, apparently she
> has a gastro type bacteria, so no more raw food. Seems I would have been ok
> (I'm storing it correctly) but the retailer mustn't be storing it correctly.
> I used to be able to buy it frozen, which was no worries, but lately they've
> only had fresh. So no more; this is pointless. Poor little baby. Anyway I
> think I'm changing vets to this guy, I haven't been happy with my vet for a
> while; this guy didn't overcharge, was very informative and helpful, and
> wasn't stingy with the treatments, which my usual vet is. So I bought more
> ringworm tabs, in case it crops up on the others, antibiotic,
> anti-inflammatory, and he advised electrolyte solution every 1/2 hour. She
> still only has 60-70% chance of making it, so any purrs will be appreciated.
> And purrs that I can persuade my RE agent not to kick me out for missing my
> rent :*(

-L.
October 22nd 06, 09:17 AM
meeee wrote:
> Well, the 'stud tail' turned out to be ringworm.

Program. It's the only thing that is worth using.

-L.

Charlie Wilkes
October 22nd 06, 10:16 AM
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:41:00 GMT, "meeee"
> wrote:

> I still have 5
>cats to wash today....

Don't tell your insurance company.

Charlie

cybercat
October 22nd 06, 04:08 PM
"Charlie Wilkes" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:41:00 GMT, "meeee"
> > wrote:
>
>> I still have 5
>>cats to wash today....
>
> Don't tell your insurance company.

Wahh! I don't get it!

Make me laugh, Charlie Wilkes!

I need a laugh today!

BarB
October 22nd 06, 06:25 PM
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 03:41:00 GMT, "meeee"
> wrote:

>Well, the 'stud tail' turned out to be ringworm. Arrrgh!! So off to the vet,
>tablets all around, malaseb, stuff to use in my washing machine, uv light to
>help spot the ringworm, stuff forus in case we get it. Arrgh!

To keep from getting ringworm myself, I rub antifungal cream into
every scratch. The only times I've gotten it myself it has been at
the site of a minor kitten booboo. Those baby nails are worse than
needles.

Good luck with the sick baby.

BarB

meeee
October 22nd 06, 11:13 PM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles and
looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little darling
atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right little lap
fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but is still
looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep pumping
electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers. So
everything's good (except for the rent....not looking forward to calling the
landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also really like this vet, a lot
more animal oriented than profit oriented like my usual vet...so I think a
swap-a-roo is in order. he also early desexes which is great!! All the other
vets in cairns refuse, for the stupid old fashioned reasons, to desex before
6 months. And he only charged me $165 for a bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a
bottle of anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and the sunday appointment.
Considering every other vet here was charging $150 just to examine on
sundays, this meant I could actually afford the meds for her. I might have
to swap to program from revolution if that's the case; i don't want this
happening again!! And thanks for the tip barB, the only outbreak I've had on
me is where they played abseiling down my back. Ouchies!!
Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it. I'm
trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.

22brix
October 23rd 06, 12:04 AM
"meeee" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
> babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
> antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles
> and looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little
> darling atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right
> little lap fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but is
> still looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep
> pumping electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the
> ringworm, according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage
> livers. So everything's good (except for the rent....not looking forward
> to calling the landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also really like
> this vet, a lot more animal oriented than profit oriented like my usual
> vet...so I think a swap-a-roo is in order. he also early desexes which is
> great!! All the other vets in cairns refuse, for the stupid old fashioned
> reasons, to desex before 6 months. And he only charged me $165 for a
> bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a bottle of anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and
> the sunday appointment. Considering every other vet here was charging $150
> just to examine on sundays, this meant I could actually afford the meds
> for her. I might have to swap to program from revolution if that's the
> case; i don't want this happening again!! And thanks for the tip barB, the
> only outbreak I've had on me is where they played abseiling down my back.
> Ouchies!!
> Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it.
> I'm trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.

Sooo glad she's feeling better!

meeee
October 23rd 06, 12:20 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "meeee" > wrote in message
>> Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
>> babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
>> antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles
>> and looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little
>> darling atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right
>> little lap fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but
>> is still looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep
>> pumping electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the
>> ringworm, according to him that will knock it on the head and won't
>> damage livers. So everything's good (except for the rent....not looking
>> forward to calling the landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also
>> really like this vet, a lot more animal oriented than profit oriented
>> like my usual vet...so I think a swap-a-roo is in order. he also early
>> desexes which is great!! All the other vets in cairns refuse, for the
>> stupid old fashioned reasons, to desex before 6 months. And he only
>> charged me $165 for a bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a bottle of anti
>> inflammatory, antibiotics, and the sunday appointment. Considering every
>> other vet here was charging $150 just to examine on sundays, this meant I
>> could actually afford the meds for her. I might have to swap to program
>> from revolution if that's the case; i don't want this happening again!!
>> And thanks for the tip barB, the only outbreak I've had on me is where
>> they played abseiling down my back. Ouchies!!
>> Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it.
>> I'm trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.
>>
> Sooo glad she's feeling better!

Thanks me too!

mlbriggs
October 23rd 06, 01:17 AM
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:13:05 +0000, meeee wrote:

> Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
> babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
> antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles and
> looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little darling
> atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right little lap
> fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but is still
> looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep pumping
> electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
> according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers. So
> everything's good (except for the rent....not looking forward to calling the
> landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also really like this vet, a lot
> more animal oriented than profit oriented like my usual vet...so I think a
> swap-a-roo is in order. he also early desexes which is great!! All the other
> vets in cairns refuse, for the stupid old fashioned reasons, to desex before
> 6 months. And he only charged me $165 for a bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a
> bottle of anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and the sunday appointment.
> Considering every other vet here was charging $150 just to examine on
> sundays, this meant I could actually afford the meds for her. I might have
> to swap to program from revolution if that's the case; i don't want this
> happening again!! And thanks for the tip barB, the only outbreak I've had on
> me is where they played abseiling down my back. Ouchies!!
> Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it. I'm
> trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.

Purrs for continued improvement. MLB

meeee
October 23rd 06, 01:30 AM
"mlbriggs" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:13:05 +0000, meeee wrote:
>
>> Thanks for the good wishes everyone. This little girl is one of my meezer
>> babies. She picked up within hours of getting the
>> antibiotic/antiinflammatory, and came out of my room asking for snuggles
>> and
>> looking for the other cats. I was soooo happy, as she's my little darling
>> atm, she puts up with children, loves cuddles, and is a right little lap
>> fungus!! She's much better this morning, ate last night, but is still
>> looking a bit peaky so I will be keeping an eye on her and keep pumping
>> electrolytes into her. The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
>> according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers.
>> So
>> everything's good (except for the rent....not looking forward to calling
>> the
>> landlord) and everyone's healthy yay!! I also really like this vet, a lot
>> more animal oriented than profit oriented like my usual vet...so I think
>> swap-a-roo is in order. he also early desexes which is great!! All the
>> other
>> vets in cairns refuse, for the stupid old fashioned reasons, to desex
>> before
>> 6 months. And he only charged me $165 for a bottle of 100 griso. tabs, a
>> bottle of anti inflammatory, antibiotics, and the sunday appointment.
>> Considering every other vet here was charging $150 just to examine on
>> sundays, this meant I could actually afford the meds for her. I might
>> have
>> to swap to program from revolution if that's the case; i don't want this
>> happening again!! And thanks for the tip barB, the only outbreak I've had
>> on
>> me is where they played abseiling down my back. Ouchies!!
>> Thanks again for all the advice and purrs guys, I really appreciate it.
>> I'm
>> trying to find a job so $$$ aren't so tight.
>

> Purrs for continued improvement. MLB

Thanks :)

BarB
October 23rd 06, 03:56 AM
On Sun, 22 Oct 2006 22:13:05 GMT, "meeee"
> wrote:

> The vet prescribed grisofulven for the ringworm,
>according to him that will knock it on the head and won't damage livers.

Please do not give Grisofulvin to a kitten who is already sick. It
can cause liver damage according to the vets I read. You are going to
feel terrible if you kill the kitten to cure ringworm that's going to
cure itself in time.

BarB

Quote http://www.vetinfo4cats.com/cringwrm.html
Griseofulvin (Fulvicin Rx) does sometimes cause liver damage and it
can cause birth defects if used in a pregnant cat or dog. It stops
the contagiousness of ringworm pretty quickly, though. It is also the
most likely medication to work in resistant cases (those that aren't
going to clear up on their own). Due to these benefits we use
griseofulvin for the treatment of confirmed cases of ringworm in our
practice. So far we have only had to withdraw it in two or three
cases. None of our patients died but it would have been better if we
hadn't given them a medication that made them sick. This is where
analyzing the "risk/benefit" ratio comes in --- most of the time it
is better to use griseofulvin. It is just necessary to be careful and
to consider the possibility that side effects will occur.
Report any changes in temperament, appetite or general health to your
vet.

BarB

meeee
October 23rd 06, 04:43 AM
Hi Barb,

yes, I am aware of this, however this is not ringworm that will clear up
easily; all the kittens have it, and I discussed the liver damage risk with
the vet; he said in his opinion the kittens are old enough to handle it, and
he said he's never heard of significant problems with the drug, provided
it's used correctly. With the number of cats I have, we agreed to use it as
there is no way I'll be able to get rid of the ringworm without it.
. earthlink.net...