PDA

View Full Version : Automatic cat feeder for going on holiday

Chris
October 22nd 06, 10:31 AM
Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
when going on holiday for a week?

We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he adopted
us - and loves freedom.

We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
food.
But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.

We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.

All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
--
Chris

Spot
October 22nd 06, 04:10 PM
No cat should be left alone for a week. A night or so is ok but you are
just asking for trouble by doing this. Either put the cat in a cattery or
find someone to come in every day feed, play with him and clean his litter
box.

Celeste

"Chris" ]> wrote in message
]...
> Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for when
> going on holiday for a week?
>
> We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
> pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he adopted
> us - and loves freedom.
>
> We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
> food.
> But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.
>
> We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.
>
> All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
> --
> Chris

barb
October 22nd 06, 07:16 PM
Your vet may be able to suggest someone to come in and care for your cat,
maybe one of the vet techs or helpers. That's how I got my pet sitter.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 12:46 AM
on Sun, 22 Oct 2006 09:31:48 GMT, Chris ]> wrote:

> Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
> when going on holiday for a week?
>
> We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
> pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he
adopted
> us - and loves freedom.
>
> We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
> food.
> But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.
>
> We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.
>
> All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.

I like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?
pcatid=14582&Ntt=feeder&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0
&Nty=1

This company will ship to the UK, but they have special instructions
(basically you need to contact them first). I suspect it's not
inexpensive.

I use this because I'm lazy. Also because my older cat is on a diet and
I can program this for measured portions at specific times.

--
- Lynne

Dan Poirier
October 23rd 06, 01:46 AM
In article >,
Lynne > wrote:

> I like this one: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?
> pcatid=14582&Ntt=feeder&Ntk=All&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&pc=1&N=0
> &Nty=1

I saw a number of reviews of this style feeder on amazon that said their
pets learned to shake the feeder to make more food fall out. Apparently
it just has an auger that turns to dispense food, and nothing to stop
more food jiggling out around the auger. I take it yours haven't
figured this out?

I have this style:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=10283&N=200
2+113908 , which works great but only for a maximum of four days. I'd
certainly like to try the other, but my cat already goes and shakes the
feeder when it's getting to be time for his next meal; with the auger
feeder, he'd be eating all he wanted in no time.

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 02:10 AM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:46:16 GMT, Dan Poirier > wrote:

> I saw a number of reviews of this style feeder on amazon that said
their
> pets learned to shake the feeder to make more food fall out.
Apparently
> it just has an auger that turns to dispense food, and nothing to stop
> more food jiggling out around the auger. I take it yours haven't
> figured this out?

I'll be danged... I don't *think* he has figured this out. Yet? He was
already pretty well used to the feeding schedule and portion sizes before
I got it, though, so that may have something to do with it.

Now keeping him out of the kitten's food has been another story. Talk
about creative!

--
- Lynne

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 02:16 AM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 00:46:16 GMT, Dan Poirier > wrote:

> I take it yours haven't
> figured this out?

if he does figure this out (or the kitten does), I will figure out a way
to 'anchor' the thing so it can't be shaken. Depending on where you feed
your cats, you probably have some options to do that, too. Since I have
dogs, my feeder is on a shelf. I have it tucked back behind a piece of
trim to keep the dog from getting to it. That also might prevent
shaking. Straps around the food container anchored to the wall would
also do the trick (nothing heavy duty would be needed).

- Lynne, whose kitten is climbing up her leg right now <3

Dan Poirier
October 23rd 06, 02:29 AM
In article >,
Lynne > wrote:

> if he does figure this out (or the kitten does), I will figure out a way
> to 'anchor' the thing so it can't be shaken. Depending on where you feed
> your cats, you probably have some options to do that, too. Since I have
> dogs, my feeder is on a shelf. I have it tucked back behind a piece of
> trim to keep the dog from getting to it. That also might prevent
> shaking. Straps around the food container anchored to the wall would
> also do the trick (nothing heavy duty would be needed).

I thought about something like that. It would be nice to not have to
refill it so often.

Petzl
October 23rd 06, 01:27 PM
"Chris" ]> wrote in message
]
|| Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
|| when going on holiday for a week?
|| We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
|| pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he
|| adopted us - and loves freedom.
|| We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
|| food.
|| But going away for a week would call for something more
|| sophisticated.
|| We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.
|| All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
|| --
|| Chris

My automatic cat feeder over the years is my neighbour (at least asking
won't hurt)

--

Petzl
--

October 24th 06, 02:50 PM
This
http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=9797&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=ergo&sku=436194&familyID=14429&
is the auto-feeder I myself have for Taz... he doesn't know about the
shaking thing... so I'm not worried. I had to buy it for him because
he used to over-eat so bad. He got up to 30 lb. Now that I monitor
how much and when he eats he's losing weight. You can set up to 7
different feeding schedules and it will only release the amount of food
you want to feed your cat each time. Like the Dr Foster & Smith one,
it uses an auger to dispense... Taz loves this one because he can hear
the timer click on and know its time to eat. It's very quiet, you hear
no noise from the bowl at all unless you stand there with your ear up
to it. After it's finished dispensing food it'll turn itself off... Or
you can even just shut it off completely and give food manually
whenever you need. This thing was a lifesaver to me and I *love* it!
Petzl wrote:
> "Chris" ]> wrote in message
> ]
> || Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for
> || when going on holiday for a week?
> || We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried
> || pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he
> || adopted us - and loves freedom.
> || We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of
> || food.
> || But going away for a week would call for something more
> || sophisticated.
> || We are in UK and so would need something that can be obtained there.
> || All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.
> || --
> || Chris
>
> My automatic cat feeder over the years is my neighbour (at least asking
> won't hurt)
>
> --
>
> Petzl
> --
> The ONLY email address you will EVER need
> <http://www.spamcop.net/ces/individuals.shtml>
> SpamCop Emaill service for a spamfree inbox

dgk
October 24th 06, 06:44 PM
On 24 Oct 2006 06:50:35 -0700, "
> wrote:

>This
>http://www.petco.com/Shop/Product.aspx?R=9797&Nav=1&N=0&Ntt=ergo&sku=436194&familyID=14429&
>is the auto-feeder I myself have for Taz... he doesn't know about the
>shaking thing... so I'm not worried. I had to buy it for him because
>he used to over-eat so bad. He got up to 30 lb. Now that I monitor
>how much and when he eats he's losing weight. You can set up to 7
>different feeding schedules and it will only release the amount of food
>you want to feed your cat each time. Like the Dr Foster & Smith one,
>it uses an auger to dispense... Taz loves this one because he can hear
>the timer click on and know its time to eat. It's very quiet, you hear
>no noise from the bowl at all unless you stand there with your ear up
>to it. After it's finished dispensing food it'll turn itself off... Or
>you can even just shut it off completely and give food manually
>whenever you need. This thing was a lifesaver to me and I *love* it!

Now only if they had one that dispenses wet food, cleans up the bowls,
scoops the litterbox, and takes the cats to the vet if they get sick
while I'm gone. Otherwise I'll get a friend to do it or hire someone.