PDA

View Full Version : cat eating houseplant

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 22nd 06, 07:38 PM
my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the winter.
He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

Matthew
October 22nd 06, 07:54 PM
REMOVE PLANT
Safest bet

What is the plant exactly

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the
> winter.
> He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
> poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
> eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

22brix
October 22nd 06, 08:56 PM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the
> winter.
> He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
> poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
> eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

I don't see fuchsias listed but if it's making him throw up can you find a
place where he can't get to the plants? One of my cats loves fresh (not
dried) catnip but will eat it in quantities that will make him throw up if I
let him.

I found several links--maybe they'll help.

Bonnie

http://www.cfainc.org/articles/plants.html

http://www.kingstownecatclinic.com/poisonous_plants.htm

http://www.hsus.org/pets/pet_care/protect_your_pet_from_common_household_dangers/common_poisonous_plants.html

meeee
October 22nd 06, 11:14 PM
Um, remove the plant. straight away. Vomiting is never good. And ask your
vet!! Common sense, people....cat eats plant, cat vomits= poisonous plant
and sick cat. I love fuschias too, butthey live on the doorstep!!

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> my cat keeps eating the fushcia I just brought in the house for the
> winter.
> He eats it and then vomits about 10 minutes later. Should I be calling
> poison control or remove the plants? Or will he eventually learn to stop
> eating the plant? He doesn't eat any other plants besides his catnip.

kitkat via CatKB.com
October 22nd 06, 11:24 PM
I'm happy to report that fuschia is NONTOXIC - I'm still going to keep my
eyes out though. I'm going to try to put the plants somewhere he can't get
to them.

Thanks for the links - they were really helpful.

meeee
October 23rd 06, 12:20 AM
Phew that's a relief!! It's also annoying to have your plants chewed

"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I'm happy to report that fuschia is NONTOXIC - I'm still going to keep my
> eyes out though. I'm going to try to put the plants somewhere he can't
> get
> to them.
>
> Thanks for the links - they were really helpful.

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 12:38 AM
on Sun, 22 Oct 2006 23:20:38 GMT, "meeee"
> wrote:

> Phew that's a relief!! It's also annoying to have your plants chewed

my kitten has destroyed all of my houseplants. *sigh*

Anyway, the plant may not be listed as toxic, but it's obviously not good
for your cat (re: vomiting). Perhaps you can put the plant under a milk
crate or something similar so your cat cannot get to it?

- Lynne

bobblespin
October 23rd 06, 01:52 PM
"meeee" > wrote in
:

> Phew that's a relief!! It's also annoying to have your plants chewed

Reminds me of a kitten I had. One day I was in the living room and
eventually noticed there had been a swoosh, swoosh, swoosh sound happening
in the kitchen. When I got there, I found him in the plant which was on top
of the cabinets, digging to the bottom, sending the earth flying throughout
the kitchen. No more plants after that!

Bobble

--
Save the earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

Sonny's web page --> http://web.ncf.ca/ai151/index2.html