PDA

View Full Version : strange bump on kitten

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 05:19 PM
So I just found a litte bump on Levi, on his skin hear his shoulder. It
feels like a mosquito bite, but the skin is not even the least bit pink.
There is also no wound, not even a tiny pin prick. The bump moves with his
skin, so I'm not too worried, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what
this might be. I was poking it and he didn't show any sign that it bothers
him at all.

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
October 23rd 06, 05:24 PM
Could it be the site of an injection?

Lynne wrote:
> So I just found a litte bump on Levi, on his skin hear his shoulder. It
> feels like a mosquito bite, but the skin is not even the least bit pink.
> There is also no wound, not even a tiny pin prick. The bump moves with his
> skin, so I'm not too worried, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what
> this might be. I was poking it and he didn't show any sign that it bothers
> him at all.
>
> --
> Lynne

cybercat
October 23rd 06, 05:30 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> So I just found a litte bump on Levi, on his skin hear his shoulder. It
> feels like a mosquito bite, but the skin is not even the least bit pink.
> There is also no wound, not even a tiny pin prick. The bump moves with
> his
> skin, so I'm not too worried, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what
> this might be. I was poking it and he didn't show any sign that it
> bothers
> him at all.

I am assuming you found this while he was attached to your lip?

:)

My cat Gracie gets little bumps that just go away. It's likely nothing.
I know you will watch it.

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 05:46 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:24:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" >
wrote:

> Could it be the site of an injection?

I suppose, but he had his last boosters on the 11th so I don't know if it
could be that.

--
Lynne

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 05:47 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:30:49 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I am assuming you found this while he was attached to your lip?
>
>:)

Yep! Hehe.

> My cat Gracie gets little bumps that just go away. It's likely nothing.
> I know you will watch it.

I will. It's reassuring to know you have seen something like this that
resolves on its own. Thanks!

--
Lynne

Katz
October 23rd 06, 05:47 PM
My cat Pig had numerous 'pimple looking' bumps on her lower jaw. They
all went away after a week or so and have not reoccurred. But as
cybercat points out, keep an eye on it, and if you fell the need to
take Levi to the vet if it doesn't clear up.

Lynne wrote:
> So I just found a litte bump on Levi, on his skin hear his shoulder. It
> feels like a mosquito bite, but the skin is not even the least bit pink.
> There is also no wound, not even a tiny pin prick. The bump moves with his
> skin, so I'm not too worried, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what
> this might be. I was poking it and he didn't show any sign that it bothers
> him at all.
>
> --
> Lynne

cybercat
October 23rd 06, 05:55 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:30:49 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> I am assuming you found this while he was attached to your lip?
>>
>>:)
>
> Yep! Hehe.
>
>> My cat Gracie gets little bumps that just go away. It's likely nothing.
>> I know you will watch it.
>
> I will. It's reassuring to know you have seen something like this that
> resolves on its own. Thanks!

Welcome! Lynne, your baby is gray, right? Is his fur really fine? My
Gracie's is, and I wonder if cats can be like people, the ones with the
finest fur, lightest coloring, etc. can be prone to allergies and
sensitivities?

Levi might be sensitve to things like scented laundry detergent or litter,
cleaning products, scented candles or perfume. I stopped wearing
perfume because it cause Gracie to have a respiratory reaction.
(She has asthma and ESG, the latter being an allergic syndrome often
paired with asthma.)

Just a thought, and something to keep in mind if he continues to get
bumps or you notice a lot of scratching. OR a lesion on his lip, that
is part of the complex. Also, check the back of his legs for little
hard bumps all in a row down the tendon. That's a sign of the
form of EGC called "linear granuloma." The good news is, it is
controllable and causes nothing more than annoyance for the
cats it affects.

mlbriggs
October 23rd 06, 08:02 PM
On Mon, 23 Oct 2006 11:19:59 -0500, Lynne wrote:

> So I just found a litte bump on Levi, on his skin hear his shoulder. It
> feels like a mosquito bite, but the skin is not even the least bit pink.
> There is also no wound, not even a tiny pin prick. The bump moves with his
> skin, so I'm not too worried, but I'm curious if anyone has any ideas what
> this might be. I was poking it and he didn't show any sign that it bothers
> him at all.

Could the cat ever have had a microchip implanted? MLB

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 09:45 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:55:22 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Welcome! Lynne, your baby is gray, right? Is his fur really fine? My
> Gracie's is, and I wonder if cats can be like people, the ones with
> the finest fur, lightest coloring, etc. can be prone to allergies and
> sensitivities?

I had a cat with allergies, but this bump isn't anything like that. It
feel like a large mosquito bite, but isn't read or irritated.

> Levi might be sensitve to things like scented laundry detergent or
> litter, cleaning products, scented candles or perfume. I stopped
> wearing perfume because it cause Gracie to have a respiratory
> reaction. (She has asthma and ESG, the latter being an allergic
> syndrome often paired with asthma.)

It's certainly a possibility, but my son has allergies and asthma so I
already use unscented detergent and have taken all the usual precautions
around our home.

> Just a thought, and something to keep in mind if he continues to get
> bumps or you notice a lot of scratching. OR a lesion on his lip, that
> is part of the complex. Also, check the back of his legs for little
> hard bumps all in a row down the tendon. That's a sign of the
> form of EGC called "linear granuloma." The good news is, it is
> controllable and causes nothing more than annoyance for the
> cats it affects.

I'll keep checking him out while he sucks my lip. So far this one bump is
the only one. It's weird.

--
Lynne

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 09:46 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 19:02:42 GMT, mlbriggs > wrote:

> Could the cat ever have had a microchip implanted? MLB

Nope. He was hand raised by friends and his first vet visits were when I
got him at the age of 4 weeks. Good suggestion, though!

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
October 23rd 06, 09:51 PM
The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
moveable also.

Lynne wrote:
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 16:55:22 GMT, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
> > Welcome! Lynne, your baby is gray, right? Is his fur really fine? My
> > Gracie's is, and I wonder if cats can be like people, the ones with
> > the finest fur, lightest coloring, etc. can be prone to allergies and
> > sensitivities?
>
> I had a cat with allergies, but this bump isn't anything like that. It
> feel like a large mosquito bite, but isn't read or irritated.
>
> > Levi might be sensitve to things like scented laundry detergent or
> > litter, cleaning products, scented candles or perfume. I stopped
> > wearing perfume because it cause Gracie to have a respiratory
> > reaction. (She has asthma and ESG, the latter being an allergic
> > syndrome often paired with asthma.)
>
> It's certainly a possibility, but my son has allergies and asthma so I
> already use unscented detergent and have taken all the usual precautions
> around our home.
>
> > Just a thought, and something to keep in mind if he continues to get
> > bumps or you notice a lot of scratching. OR a lesion on his lip, that
> > is part of the complex. Also, check the back of his legs for little
> > hard bumps all in a row down the tendon. That's a sign of the
> > form of EGC called "linear granuloma." The good news is, it is
> > controllable and causes nothing more than annoyance for the
> > cats it affects.
>
> I'll keep checking him out while he sucks my lip. So far this one bump is
> the only one. It's weird.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 09:54 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:51:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
> imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
> an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
> not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
> had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
> moveable also.

it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
it when he gets his next booster next week.

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
October 23rd 06, 10:37 PM
Lynne
What boosters is he getting? I think that Feline Leukemia and rabies
are the biggest culprits for this cancer of the derma. I stopped
giving them to my cats after this experience. Mine are totally indoor
cats.

Lynne wrote:
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:51:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
> > The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
> > imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
> > an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
> > not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
> > had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
> > moveable also.
> >

> it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
> administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
> it when he gets his next booster next week.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
October 23rd 06, 11:13 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:37:25 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> Lynne
> What boosters is he getting? I think that Feline Leukemia and rabies
> are the biggest culprits for this cancer of the derma. I stopped
> giving them to my cats after this experience. Mine are totally indoor
> cats.

so far he is only having the upper respiratory booster. My cats are indoor
only, so I will (probably) not give him the Leukemia shot, however Kentucky
law mandates that I vaccinate him against rabies. I will hold that off
until he is 1 year old, though. I tried to get around it with my other
cat, but my vet would not continue to treat him without the rabies...

--
Lynne

cybercat
October 24th 06, 12:35 AM
"Lynne" > wrote
> I'll keep checking him out while he sucks my lip. So far this one bump is
> the only one. It's weird.
>
> --

Look, Lynn. :)

We really, really need to see a photo of this lip sucking.

I'm sure you understand.

Buddy's Mom
October 24th 06, 01:41 AM
That is good news - I do not think that the upper respiratory boosters
are a problem. You may just have some inflamation left over from his
original shot on the 11th. I hope so!

Lynne wrote:
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 21:37:25 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
> > Lynne
> > What boosters is he getting? I think that Feline Leukemia and rabies
> > are the biggest culprits for this cancer of the derma. I stopped
> > giving them to my cats after this experience. Mine are totally indoor
> > cats.
> >

> so far he is only having the upper respiratory booster. My cats are indoor
> only, so I will (probably) not give him the Leukemia shot, however Kentucky
> law mandates that I vaccinate him against rabies. I will hold that off
> until he is 1 year old, though. I tried to get around it with my other
> cat, but my vet would not continue to treat him without the rabies...
>
> --
> Lynne

22brix
October 24th 06, 06:34 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:51:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>
>> The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
>> imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
>> an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
>> not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
>> had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
>> moveable also.
>>

> it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
> administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
> it when he gets his next booster next week.
>
> --
> Lynne

According to my vet here in California, the vets have to give the rabies
vaccination in the leg (I believe the right rear leg) because of the problem
with cancer associated with rabies vaccine. That being said, it's very
important to keep up with the rabies vaccination, even with indoor cats
because bats can and do get in a house and they can transmit rabies. Most
if not all cases of rabies in humans have been traced to bats.

22brix
October 24th 06, 07:00 AM
"22brix" > wrote in message

> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:51:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>>
>>> The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
>>> imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
>>> an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
>>> not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
>>> had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
>>> moveable also.
>>>

>> it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
>> administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
>> it when he gets his next booster next week.
>>
>> --
>> Lynne
>
> According to my vet here in California, the vets have to give the rabies
> vaccination in the leg (I believe the right rear leg) because of the
> problem with cancer associated with rabies vaccine. That being said, it's
> very important to keep up with the rabies vaccination, even with indoor
> cats because bats can and do get in a house and they can transmit rabies.
> Most if not all cases of rabies in humans have been traced to bats.

Most cases of rabies in recent years in the US! have been traced to bats.

Rhonda
October 24th 06, 07:06 AM
22brix wrote:
> "Lynne" > wrote in message
>
>>on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 20:51:34 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:
>>

>>>The bumps on the chin are acne and the one that you describe is not. I
>>>imagine it is from his injections. I don't want to scare you, but keep
>>>an eye on it. Some injections cause cancer of the derma in some cats -
>>>not all. I had one who had what you discribe and it grew bigger. We
>>>had it removed, but it came back. Not good. My cat's bump was
>>>moveable also.

>>it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
>>administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
>>it when he gets his next booster next week.
>>
>>--
>>Lynne
>
> According to my vet here in California, the vets have to give the rabies
> vaccination in the leg (I believe the right rear leg) because of the problem
> with cancer associated with rabies vaccine. That being said, it's very
> important to keep up with the rabies vaccination, even with indoor cats
> because bats can and do get in a house and they can transmit rabies. Most
> if not all cases of rabies in humans have been traced to bats.

Really, to bats? We've chosen not to get the rabies vaccine for our
cats, but how common are bats any more? I don't think I've seen one
since I was a kid.

Rhonda

22brix
October 24th 06, 02:50 PM
"Rhonda" > wrote in message
> 22brix wrote:

>>>it's certainly in the same general area where his injections were
>>>administered... I'll definitely keep an eye on it, and have the vet check
>>>it when he gets his next booster next week.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Lynne
>>
>> According to my vet here in California, the vets have to give the rabies
>> vaccination in the leg (I believe the right rear leg) because of the
>> problem with cancer associated with rabies vaccine. That being said,
>> it's very important to keep up with the rabies vaccination, even with
>> indoor cats because bats can and do get in a house and they can transmit
>> rabies. Most if not all cases of rabies in humans have been traced to
>> bats.
>
> Really, to bats? We've chosen not to get the rabies vaccine for our cats,
> but how common are bats any more? I don't think I've seen one since I was
> a kid.
>
> Rhonda

I guess it depends on where you live. We're in Northern California in a
rural area and we see them a lot. I actually do rabies testing on animals
in the county public health lab and people bring in many, many bats to be
tested for rabies--usually after their cats have been torturing them!

One of the craziest bat stories we had to deal with was this poor guy,
relaxing on his porch in the evening. A bat swoops down on him, lands on
his face and bites him on the lip. The man was able to catch the bat and we
tested it for rabies. It was positive. Needless to say he was in for a
series of shots. In the past several years the vast majority of animals
that have tested positive in our counties lab have been bats.

You might want to call your local public health department or equivalent to
see how prevalent either bats or rabies is in your community.

Bonnie

Lynne
October 24th 06, 03:17 PM
on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:50:14 GMT, "22brix" >
wrote:

> I guess it depends on where you live. We're in Northern California in
> a rural area and we see them a lot. I actually do rabies testing on
> animals in the county public health lab and people bring in many, many
> bats to be tested for rabies--usually after their cats have been
> torturing them!

There are plenty of bats in Kentucky as well. We see them all of the time.
My mother had one come in down her chimney and we had to call someone in to
trap him and let him go. Around here, though, it is primarily raccoons who
carry rabies.

--
Lynne

Lynne
October 24th 06, 03:19 PM
on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:35:06 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> We really, really need to see a photo of this lip sucking.
>
> I'm sure you understand.

Here is a very bad photo of Levi (when he was smaller) suckling on my
daughter's lip.

http://fototime.com/8A9F6A5082B3FA1/standard.jpg

Note the ears folded down. He also kneads our faces while he does this and
purrs up a storm. When I get settled into bed, he jumps on my face,
'nurses' for as long as I let him and then curls up under my chin to go to
sleep. He wakes me up every day at 6 am for his next suckle session. =)

--
Lynne

22brix
October 24th 06, 03:26 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 13:50:14 GMT, "22brix" >
> wrote:
>
>> I guess it depends on where you live. We're in Northern California in
>> a rural area and we see them a lot. I actually do rabies testing on
>> animals in the county public health lab and people bring in many, many
>> bats to be tested for rabies--usually after their cats have been
>> torturing them!
>
> There are plenty of bats in Kentucky as well. We see them all of the
> time.
> My mother had one come in down her chimney and we had to call someone in
> trap him and let him go. Around here, though, it is primarily raccoons
> who
> carry rabies.
>
> --
> Lynne

I've heard that. Luckily they don't seem to be as much of a problem here,
although we do see an occasional rabid raccoon. Here, it's mainly bats,
skunks, foxes with an occasional cow or mountain lion thrown in. Of course
you see some idiots, too. One my favorite stupid people rabies stories is
the time 3 or 4 drunk buddies decided to lasso a bobcat that happened to
stumble across their campsite. (First clue--bobcats aren't usually out in
the daytime.) They actually managed to catch it but weren't prepared to deal
with the consequences. Besides being bitten and scratched by the bobcat, it
turned out to be rabid. They would have been great candidates for the
Darwin award.

cybercat
October 25th 06, 12:15 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Mon, 23 Oct 2006 23:35:06 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> We really, really need to see a photo of this lip sucking.
>>
>> I'm sure you understand.
>>

> Here is a very bad photo of Levi (when he was smaller) suckling on my
> daughter's lip.
>
> http://fototime.com/8A9F6A5082B3FA1/standard.jpg
>
> Note the ears folded down. He also kneads our faces while he does this
> and
> purrs up a storm. When I get settled into bed, he jumps on my face,
> 'nurses' for as long as I let him and then curls up under my chin to go to
> sleep. He wakes me up every day at 6 am for his next suckle session. =)

Lynne!! That is so totally adorable!! And your girl is beautiful, too.

What a darling little boy. I still wonder how this is going to play out when
he is bigger,
though. It's hard to imagine you walking around with a ten-lb cat attached
to your lip!
(And, cats, like all of us, still have a lot of baby in them when they grow
up.)

Thanks for posting this, I missed it somehow this morning. So cute! I love
gray
kitties.

Lynne
October 25th 06, 12:35 AM
on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:15:48 GMT, "cybercat" >
wrote:

> Lynne!! That is so totally adorable!! And your girl is beautiful, too.
>
> What a darling little boy. I still wonder how this is going to play
> out when he is bigger,
> though. It's hard to imagine you walking around with a ten-lb cat
> attached to your lip!
> (And, cats, like all of us, still have a lot of baby in them when they
> grow up.)
>
> Thanks for posting this, I missed it somehow this morning. So cute! I
> love gray
> kitties.

he's already VERY large for his age. I'll try to get a self-portrait of
him doing this to me soon. It's hysterical! I've tried to start limiting
him to 'nursing' in bed at night and in the morning, but he's very
persuasive... =)

Almost all of his baby fuzz is gone and now he has very silky, fine fur.
His stripes are hard to see in person, but seem to show up in photos.

Have I mentioned that I'm IN LOVE with this kitten?

--
Lynne

cybercat
October 25th 06, 12:42 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Tue, 24 Oct 2006 23:15:48 GMT, "cybercat" >
> wrote:
>
>> Lynne!! That is so totally adorable!! And your girl is beautiful, too.
>>
>> What a darling little boy. I still wonder how this is going to play
>> out when he is bigger,
>> though. It's hard to imagine you walking around with a ten-lb cat
>> attached to your lip!
>> (And, cats, like all of us, still have a lot of baby in them when they
>> grow up.)
>>
>> Thanks for posting this, I missed it somehow this morning. So cute! I
>> love gray
>> kitties.
>
> he's already VERY large for his age. I'll try to get a self-portrait of
> him doing this to me soon. It's hysterical! I've tried to start limiting
> him to 'nursing' in bed at night and in the morning, but he's very
> persuasive... =)
>
> Almost all of his baby fuzz is gone and now he has very silky, fine fur.
> His stripes are hard to see in person, but seem to show up in photos.
>
> Have I mentioned that I'm IN LOVE with this kitten?

Well, I am in love with him from afar! I am not sure if I mentioned this,
but my neighbors cat Timmy used to like to suck on my earlobe while
kneading my face, neck, shoulder, whatever was in reach!