PDA

View Full Version : Renal Failure in Cats

MzKittin
October 24th 06, 07:44 PM
Hi, I have a 16 y/o cat that is starting to get kidney insufficiency
and I was wondering if anyone knew of a herbal supplement or anything I
might be able to give her to help prolong her beautiful life. She got
weighed yesterday and she's at 6.25 lbs. Any help would be greatly
appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

Ryan Robbins
October 24th 06, 07:56 PM
"MzKittin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I have a 16 y/o cat that is starting to get kidney insufficiency
> and I was wondering if anyone knew of a herbal supplement or anything I
> might be able to give her to help prolong her beautiful life. She got
> weighed yesterday and she's at 6.25 lbs. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.

Did your vet prescribe fluid therapy? You can also switch your cat to a
special diet.

MzKittin
October 24th 06, 08:38 PM
I know all about the LRS (used to be a Vet Tech), but wanted to try
something a little less stressful since she's just starting to decline.
Thanks anyway.

Ryan Robbins wrote:
> "MzKittin" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > Hi, I have a 16 y/o cat that is starting to get kidney insufficiency
> > and I was wondering if anyone knew of a herbal supplement or anything I
> > might be able to give her to help prolong her beautiful life. She got
> > weighed yesterday and she's at 6.25 lbs. Any help would be greatly
> > appreciated.
>
> Did your vet prescribe fluid therapy? You can also switch your cat to a
> special diet.

Phil P.
October 25th 06, 05:40 PM
"MzKittin" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi, I have a 16 y/o cat that is starting to get kidney insufficiency
> and I was wondering if anyone knew of a herbal supplement or anything I
> might be able to give her to help prolong her beautiful life. She got
> weighed yesterday and she's at 6.25 lbs. Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.
> Thanks in advance.

Omega-3 fatty acid and potassium supplements. Both have been shown to slow
the progression of CRF.

The omega-3s should be derived from salmon or menhaden fish only- plant
derived omega-3s contain too much omega-6. I recommend 3V Caps Liquid HP by
DVM Pharmaceuticals: http://dvmpharmaceuticals.com/3VHPdetailsheet.pdf Derm
Caps contain too much omega-6.

For a potassium supplement I recommend Tumul-K. You'll want to keep your
cat's K levels in the upper half of the reference range.

My 19 year-old has been on omega-3s and K supplements for over a year. Her
kidney values have improved (lower BUN/creatinine) and her urine is more
concentrated.

Good luck.

Phil

Fuga :o\)
October 26th 06, 06:17 AM
Epakitin is someting many vets are using to add to the food.
Azodyl is a new supplement that's out that helps...
Fortekor is always great for treating the condition

This is an excellent site http://www.felinecrf.org/.

The fluids do help there's no question.

fuga