PDA

View Full Version : Sedative or knockout drop to help catch stray??

krazy
October 25th 06, 02:46 PM
I am trying to catch a stray that lives under an abandoned house but have not
had any luck. I caught 2 others that were there with it but have been
working at this one now for a couple months. Would love to get it before the
Michigan winter sets in!! I think they were left behind by people that moved
and left them. They all are about 1 year old including the ones I caught.

The remaining one has learned to associate me with food which is good and
does not run as far as she used to while waiting for me to put food out. She
sets and watches me now and meows at me.

I do not live in the area where the cat is but make a daily trip there to
feed them. I can not use a live trap because it would most likely be gone as
soon as I left. When they steal plastic lawn chairs off of peoples porches
like the ones they sell at K-Mart a live trap would most likely dissappear.

Was just wonder if there is something maybe I could put in it's food that is
fast acting that would maybe put it out temporarily so I could get it in a
carrier??

E-mail address altered to foil spam.
Reply to news groups for all to see please.

Julie Porter
October 26th 06, 02:02 AM
I think I might worry that an unconscious or debilitated cat could be
attacked or killed by a rabid or wild animal. Can a rescue group help
you?

Julie

"krazy" > wrote in message
. com...

> I am trying to catch a stray that lives under an abandoned house but
have not
> had any luck. I caught 2 others that were there with it but have been
> working at this one now for a couple months. Would love to get it
before the
> Michigan winter sets in!! I think they were left behind by people
that moved
> and left them. They all are about 1 year old including the ones I
caught.

> The remaining one has learned to associate me with food which is good
and
> does not run as far as she used to while waiting for me to put food
out. She
> sets and watches me now and meows at me.
>
> I do not live in the area where the cat is but make a daily trip there
> feed them. I can not use a live trap because it would most likely be
gone as
> soon as I left. When they steal plastic lawn chairs off of peoples
porches
> like the ones they sell at K-Mart a live trap would most likely
dissappear.

> Was just wonder if there is something maybe I could put in it's food
that is
> fast acting that would maybe put it out temporarily so I could get it
in a
> carrier??
>

> --
> ************************************************** ***
> E-mail address altered to foil spam.
> Reply to news groups for all to see please.
> ************************************************** ***

krazy
October 26th 06, 02:13 PM
That is why I said "fast acting" so I could wait for it.

Anyway that is neither here nor there because when I went to feed it
yesterday I sat and talked to it like usual and after it ate a bit it
slowly started working it's way towards me.

First it let me scratch it's head a bit and then run off a couple
feet. It then came back and let me scratch it AND pet it but when I
tried to pick it up it took off but I seen it looking around the
corner of garage so I stayed and talked to it until it came back and
started head butting me and rubbing me like it wanted to be petted.
When it started play biting my hand I figured I had a chance to get it
so I went and got carrier during which time he (It was a little boy
cat) just sat and looked at me like I was deserting him.

After I got the carrier I went back and played with him until he let
me pick him up. Needless to save once I got a good hold of him he
ended up in carrier which I had opened and waiting. He did not like
that much but settled down after a bit.

Prayers and purrs that he will find a good forever home now. I was so
glad I got him because last night it got down to 27 degrees here and
he was in a warm place.

>I think I might worry that an unconscious or debilitated cat could be
>attacked or killed by a rabid or wild animal. Can a rescue group help
>you?
>
>Julie
>

>> I am trying to catch a stray that lives under an abandoned house but
> >have not had any luck. I caught 2 others that were there with it but have been
>> working at this one now for a couple months. Would love to get it
>> before the Michigan winter sets in!! I think they were left behind by people
>> that moved and left them. They all are about 1 year old including the ones I
>> caught.
>>
>> The remaining one has learned to associate me with food which is good
>> and does not run as far as she used to while waiting for me to put food
>> out. She sets and watches me now and meows at me.
>>
>> I do not live in the area where the cat is but make a daily trip there
>> to feed them. I can not use a live trap because it would most likely be
>> gone as soon as I left. When they steal plastic lawn chairs off of peoples
>> porches like the ones they sell at K-Mart a live trap would most likely
>> dissappear.
>>
>> Was just wonder if there is something maybe I could put in it's food
>> that is fast acting that would maybe put it out temporarily so I could get it
>> in acarrier??

unclefred
October 26th 06, 08:00 PM
Sounds like you did a great job. Purrayers frum Catnada that the little
fellow will find a "onetruehome."

Diana, Ryan & Cinnamon

--
Regards,
Fred Williams

Brian Link
October 27th 06, 12:59 AM
On Wed, 25 Oct 2006 13:46:55 GMT, (krazy) wrote:

>I am trying to catch a stray that lives under an abandoned house but have not
>had any luck. I caught 2 others that were there with it but have been
>working at this one now for a couple months. Would love to get it before the
>Michigan winter sets in!! I think they were left behind by people that moved
>and left them. They all are about 1 year old including the ones I caught.
>
>The remaining one has learned to associate me with food which is good and
>does not run as far as she used to while waiting for me to put food out. She
>sets and watches me now and meows at me.
>
>I do not live in the area where the cat is but make a daily trip there to
>feed them. I can not use a live trap because it would most likely be gone as
>soon as I left. When they steal plastic lawn chairs off of peoples porches
>like the ones they sell at K-Mart a live trap would most likely dissappear.
>
>Was just wonder if there is something maybe I could put in it's food that is
>fast acting that would maybe put it out temporarily so I could get it in a
>carrier??

Firstly, cats have really wimpy livers. Sedatives just don't work with
the degree of reliability with domestic cats that they do in humans.
And they're dangerous for the cat.

Secondly, if the cat was raised feral (a kitten from the litter of one
of the other cats), the success rate of placing it with humans will be
really low.

Finally, as Temple Grandin points out in her book - cats don't learn
by affectionate "nice kitty"s. Food will motivate them.

IF the cat has been around humans at some point, the food lure will
work given time. From your brief description, it sounds like the cat
hasn't learned to fear humans, at least.

The strays we've acquired always respond to the food lure. Howard went
from bolting any time we came outside to crawling on my lap to munch a
delicious tuna treat. But Howard and the other strays had been kicked
out of households, so they knew humans.

If you don't have the time or patience (given the cat's remote
location) I'd agree with other posters that you should look for a
rescue group or humane society. At least get the little bugger spayed
or neutered.

It's so sad when folks abandon pets like that. I wonder if domestic
cats' prolific breeding isn't an evolutionary response to this.. since
the big cats have smaller litters.

BLink
"The worst thing about censorship is [redacted]"