PDA

View Full Version : Kitten heart beat and breathing

Richard
October 26th 06, 06:08 PM
It has been a while since I have had a kitten. My kitten is about 5
months old and I notice when she is sleeping that her breathing and
heart beat is very rapid. She has been to the vet and all is fine with
her - no underlying medical issues. She was spayed about a month ago.

So do the breathing and heartrate slow down after the first year of
life?

I think cats have a faster heartbeat than humans - is that why they
live a shorter life?

Thanks,

cybercat
October 26th 06, 06:57 PM
"Richard" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> It has been a while since I have had a kitten. My kitten is about 5
> months old and I notice when she is sleeping that her breathing and
> heart beat is very rapid. She has been to the vet and all is fine with
> her - no underlying medical issues. She was spayed about a month ago.
>
> So do the breathing and heartrate slow down after the first year of
> life?
>
> I think cats have a faster heartbeat than humans - is that why they
> live a shorter life?

Richard, all I know is what my vet told me: that a normal adult cat
heart rate is about 180 beats per minute, up in the 200s if they are
anxious or excited. I learned this because my 9-year-old cat presented
with a 300 bpm heart rate, and in her case it was a symptom of
hyperthyroid.

silvercelt
October 26th 06, 08:10 PM
The cat's heartbeat varies...range between 110-160 and resp rate 20-30.
They can increase rapidly for the same reason as us, may be he having
good dreams=). You spayed your cat very young, meant to be 6 months
old., but that wouldn't have anything to do with it. You did right
thing by checking with a vet,