PDA

View Full Version : Getting A New Cat

Gizmo
October 27th 06, 01:43 AM
I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
against kidney disease for 3 years.

I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

Thanks

Ollie Clark
October 27th 06, 10:46 AM
Gizmo wrote:
> I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
> be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
> against kidney disease for 3 years.
>
> I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
> right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
> I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
> ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

Should be fine.

Ted Davis
October 27th 06, 01:46 PM
On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:43:45 GMT, Gizmo >
wrote:

>I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
>be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
>against kidney disease for 3 years.
>
>I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
>right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
>I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
>ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

I think htat's more a question of continuity or of starting over. The
cat shouldn't mind, after all, the whole house will smell of the one
that went to The Raindow Bridge. What's important is your emotional
state.

--
T.E.D. )
Remove "gearbox.maem." from address - that one is dead

Veloise
October 27th 06, 10:36 PM
Gizmo wrote:
> > I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
> > right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
> > I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
> > ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

Depends on what color they are and how you are with coordinating
things. My first kitty (aged almost 21 human years) had green eyes
(grey tabbly) so most of her stuff was green.

Second kitty (1-1/2 years later) is a tuxedo, and everything perked
right up in bright pink and other vivid hues.

Kitty 3 (overlapping) has bright blue eyes. Guess what.

HTH

--Karen D.

Lesley
October 28th 06, 01:14 AM
Gizmo wrote:
> I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
> be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
> against kidney disease for 3 years.

First of all my condolences for the loss of your companion

> I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
> right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
> I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
> ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

I've always got new stuff for new arrivals.Like when Isis crossed the
bridge I threw out all her things and cried over every one but for me
it helped. We were able as the Furballs were not yet old enough to
leave their mum to do it over a few weeks

I first really got excited about them coming when I was standing at the
pet stall and making decisions about a new dish for food and one more
for water, and a carrier oh and can I get one of those cute looking
mousies!

But on a practical level as long as they are scrubbed clean I don't see
a problem with food and water dishes but unless you REALLY clean the
litter tray or wait for a long time to get another cat I would imagine
the scent of your last cat will linger and that might put a new cat off
using it

Lelsey

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Gizmo
October 28th 06, 02:06 AM
I have cleaned out all of her food and water bowls. The litter box I
emptied out today and I am going to throughly wash it.

I just want to keep her things around.....it's hard to let
go....especially at this point. Like you said ....it's continuity.

On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 07:46:17 -0500, Ted Davis
> wrote:

>On Fri, 27 Oct 2006 00:43:45 GMT, Gizmo >
>wrote:
>
>>I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
>>be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
>>against kidney disease for 3 years.
>>
>>I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
>>right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
>>I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
>>ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?
>
>I think htat's more a question of continuity or of starting over. The
>cat shouldn't mind, after all, the whole house will smell of the one
>that went to The Raindow Bridge. What's important is your emotional
>state.

Ted Davis
October 28th 06, 05:51 PM
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 01:06:44 GMT, Gizmo >
wrote:

>I have cleaned out all of her food and water bowls. The litter box I
>emptied out today and I am going to throughly wash it.
>
>I just want to keep her things around.....it's hard to let
>go....especially at this point. Like you said ....it's continuity.

I recommend overlapping cats: when the older won dies, the younger one
continues and becomes the older one when you get a new kitten or young
cat. You might want to take what I say about that with a grain of
salt since I have carried it to an extreme: I have fifteen cats
ranging from six months to fourteen years, and a surprise litter due
any day now (I wish she would get on with it).

--
T.E.D. ) Remove "gearbox.maem" to get real address - that one is dead

Judy
October 29th 06, 05:05 AM
"Gizmo" > wrote in message
>I took my feline companion of 15 years to the vet yestersay morning to
> be sent on her never-ending journey. She had fought a strong battle
> against kidney disease for 3 years.
>
> I do know that I want to get another cat.....when I feel the time is
> right. My question is this....all sentimental reasons aside....should
> I get a new littler box, and food and water bowls ? Or should they be
> ok as long as they are throughly cleaned ?

They should be just fine.