PDA

View Full Version : I am back with another blockage question

MoMo via CatKB.com
October 27th 06, 01:25 AM
Hi everyone. It's been a good solid week (maybe even two) since my last post
but I am back with another question. For those of you who don't know, my cat
had a blockage almost a month ago, and since then he has been doing good.
Tonight when I got home from work, I was able to watch him use the litter,
and he was straining to pee, but, he peed a really good amount. More than
normal actually. He is not cleaning himself excessively or showing any other
signs of a blockage, but do I need to worry that it is starting again? Like
I said, he is peeing, even when he strained, but, I am just not sure what to
look for being that I have not been through this before. Any advice would be
very much appreciated! Thanks everyone, you have all been great.

Rhonda
October 27th 06, 06:46 AM
Momo, I really think your best advice on this would be from your vet.
Since the vet treated your cat and knows his situation, I think he or
she could give you some great pointers on what to watch for. I know our
vet is always willing to help with tips like that.

Good luck,

Rhonda

MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
> Hi everyone. It's been a good solid week (maybe even two) since my last post
> but I am back with another question. For those of you who don't know, my cat
> had a blockage almost a month ago, and since then he has been doing good.
> Tonight when I got home from work, I was able to watch him use the litter,
> and he was straining to pee, but, he peed a really good amount. More than
> normal actually. He is not cleaning himself excessively or showing any other
> signs of a blockage, but do I need to worry that it is starting again? Like
> I said, he is peeing, even when he strained, but, I am just not sure what to
> look for being that I have not been through this before. Any advice would be
> very much appreciated! Thanks everyone, you have all been great.

jmc
October 27th 06, 08:57 AM
Suddenly, without warning, Rhonda exclaimed (27-Oct-06 3:16 PM):

> MoMo via CatKB.com wrote:
>> Hi everyone. It's been a good solid week (maybe even two) since my
>> last post
>> but I am back with another question. For those of you who don't know,
>> my cat
>> had a blockage almost a month ago, and since then he has been doing good.
>> Tonight when I got home from work, I was able to watch him use the
>> litter,
>> and he was straining to pee, but, he peed a really good amount. More
>> than
>> normal actually. He is not cleaning himself excessively or showing
>> any other
>> signs of a blockage, but do I need to worry that it is starting
>> again? Like
>> I said, he is peeing, even when he strained, but, I am just not sure
>> what to
>> look for being that I have not been through this before. Any advice
>> would be
>> very much appreciated! Thanks everyone, you have all been great.
>>

> Momo, I really think your best advice on this would be from your vet.
> Since the vet treated your cat and knows his situation, I think he or
> she could give you some great pointers on what to watch for. I know our
> vet is always willing to help with tips like that.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda

What she said, but have you talked to your vet about a glucosamine
supplement? It is supposed to coat the bladder and reduce
damage/discomfort from any crystals that form. It seems to be working
very well for Meep, she had two cystitis attacks within months of each
other, but she's been fine now for nearly a year. I actually give her a
glucosamine/chonodroitin supplement from Dr Fosters and Smith, with my
vet's blessing. I also keep around a tube of 'urinary acidifier', which
is essentially a dl-methionine supplement - if I think she's
uncomfortable, I start feeding her the recommended dosage, and within a
day or so she's back to normal.

Joint care: http://tinyurl.com/y7h65s

Urinary acidifier: http://tinyurl.com/mvvbw

But I'd definitely talk to your vet first. At any rate, the glucosamine
supplement can't hurt. Good Luck!

jmc

MoMo via CatKB.com
October 27th 06, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone. I just spoke with the vet and I am bringing him in this
afternoon. I will ask about the supplements that you suggested.