PDA

View Full Version : Missing flesh on neck?

Ryan Feeley
October 27th 06, 04:07 AM
Our cat came home with a size of flesh missing from his neck abhout the
size of a quarter. He does not appear fazed at all and the area does
not appear sensitive to him, nor is it bleeding. We are quite concerned
about infection, and that scratching may start bleeding. It is late at
night and we can't go to a vet until tomorrow, but I am hoping someone
has some insights. Is it strange that this area is not bothering him?
It looks like a piece of hair and the top layer of skin were just cut
right off.

Rhonda
October 27th 06, 06:51 AM
Until you can get to the vet tomorrow, I would clean that wound with
peroxide once, then apply betadine or iodine, or an antibiotic cream.

He might feel that area more when it starts to heal or if it becomes
infected -- I would take it as a good sign that it's not bothering him
right now!

Hope you can get in to the vet first thing,

Rhonda

Ryan Feeley wrote:
> Our cat came home with a size of flesh missing from his neck abhout the
> size of a quarter. He does not appear fazed at all and the area does
> not appear sensitive to him, nor is it bleeding. We are quite concerned
> about infection, and that scratching may start bleeding. It is late at
> night and we can't go to a vet until tomorrow, but I am hoping someone
> has some insights. Is it strange that this area is not bothering him?
> It looks like a piece of hair and the top layer of skin were just cut
> right off.

guynoir
October 29th 06, 06:10 AM
> Ryan Feeley wrote:
> > Our cat came home with a size of flesh missing from his neck abhout the
> > size of a quarter. He does not appear fazed at all and the area does
> > not appear sensitive to him, nor is it bleeding. We are quite concerned
> > about infection, and that scratching may start bleeding. It is late at
> > night and we can't go to a vet until tomorrow, but I am hoping someone
> > has some insights. Is it strange that this area is not bothering him?
> > It looks like a piece of hair and the top layer of skin were just cut
> > right off.

Here's a picture of one of my strays with the exact same thing:

http://spiretech.com/~guynoir/livestock/fork.jpg

I treated it for a week with antibiotic ointment. The wound didn't
close up or get any bigger. I took him to the vet, who said that it
was infected, but that there was no "pocket" under the skin. They gave
me Clavimox as I expected. After another week with no apparent
improvement, the wound finally started to scab over. After that, it
healed rapidly.

John Kimmel