PDA

View Full Version : Cat Won't Finish the Job-! YECHHH-!

bz
October 28th 06, 03:28 PM
The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.

The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.

After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).

I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
the same behavior. The offal is left alone.

We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
something-?

Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.

Buzzy

Grawun
October 28th 06, 03:51 PM
My cat also does not cover up her poops. She scratches in the litter
but doesn't seem to know what the purpose of that is. It is incentive
for me to keep the box very clean.

bz wrote:
> The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
> healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
> on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
>
> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
> have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
> filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
>
> I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
> the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
>
> We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
> the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
> previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
> bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
> something-?
>
> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
>
> Buzzy

William Hamblen
October 28th 06, 04:46 PM
On 2006-10-28, bz > wrote:

> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.

I don't think you can train a cat to cover her feces. Some do
it and others don't. A former coworker once had two cats. One
was a coverer and one wasn't. The cat that was a coverer would
also do that chore for the other cat.

The answer is to be ready with the scoop. You need to scoop
whether or not they bury scat.

Bud

cybercat
October 28th 06, 04:53 PM
"bz" > wrote

> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.

I had a cat that did this. Every time I discovered a stinky offering, I
found her,
picked her up lovingly, talking softly to her and petting her, put her in
her box,
took her little paws and covered the mess witht them while praising her.

I think I did this three times before she started doing it herself.

Every now and then she might lapse--maybe four times over her
20-year life--and I would do it again, and she would begin
covering it.

I do not think it was the positive reinforcement--I think she
actually hated being picked up and taken to her box. She hated
being picked up anyway.

I was loving and gentle and praising to be sure I did not give
her an aversion to the litter box altogether.

FWIW, she was NOT a bright cat. I am not being unkind; I
knew her. So your girl should respond.

cybercat
October 28th 06, 05:00 PM
"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
. ..
> On 2006-10-28, bz > wrote:
>
>> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> I don't think you can train a cat to cover her feces.

Bet you haven't tried.

bz
October 28th 06, 09:09 PM
In article >,
"cybercat" > wrote:

> "bz" > wrote
> >
> > Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
> >

> I had a cat that did this. Every time I discovered a stinky offering, I
> found her,
> picked her up lovingly, talking softly to her and petting her, put her in
> her box,
> took her little paws and covered the mess witht them while praising her.
>
> I think I did this three times before she started doing it herself.
>
> Every now and then she might lapse--maybe four times over her
> 20-year life--and I would do it again, and she would begin
> covering it.
>
> I do not think it was the positive reinforcement--I think she
> actually hated being picked up and taken to her box. She hated
> being picked up anyway.
>
> I was loving and gentle and praising to be sure I did not give
> her an aversion to the litter box altogether.
>
> FWIW, she was NOT a bright cat. I am not being unkind; I
> knew her. So your girl should respond.

HAR-!

I tried the Teaching by Example Method. She knew something was up when I
gently plucked her from her spot under the crepe myrtle, and she began
contorting in my arms as I approached the Litter Box Site indoors.
Suddenly, I was holding a bundle of prickly pear cactus. I let her go.
Disappointed, I scooped the poop for a minute.

I guess I'll wait until she's hungry and associate a food treat with
some litter excavation & cover practice. I know I am getting very good
at it.

What is it about cats-?? She's completely useless (never caught a
rodent) and has hairballed the good couch countless times. But--when I'm
stretched out watching the tube, she'll hop up there and nest on my
stomach, purring, giving me the happy eye. If I pet her just right,
Wanda will crawl towards my face and give me a "muzzle kiss."

At that moment, the smelly crap is forgotten. Nearly.

cybercat
October 28th 06, 09:27 PM
"bz" > wrote
> HAR-!
>
> I tried the Teaching by Example Method. She knew something was up when I
> gently plucked her from her spot under the crepe myrtle, and she began
> contorting in my arms as I approached the Litter Box Site indoors.
> Suddenly, I was holding a bundle of prickly pear cactus. I let her go.
> Disappointed, I scooped the poop for a minute.

Aww, I'm sorry. I guess Wanda is a bit wilder than my kitty was. ;)

> I guess I'll wait until she's hungry and associate a food treat with
> some litter excavation & cover practice. I know I am getting very good
> at it.
>
> What is it about cats-?? She's completely useless (never caught a
> rodent) and has hairballed the good couch countless times. But--when I'm
> stretched out watching the tube, she'll hop up there and nest on my
> stomach, purring, giving me the happy eye. If I pet her just right,
> Wanda will crawl towards my face and give me a "muzzle kiss."
>
> At that moment, the smelly crap is forgotten. Nearly.

You're a goner. I am afraid Wanda, smelly poops and all, has you
in her kitty spell. There are worse things!

Edna Pearl
October 28th 06, 11:01 PM
"cybercat" > wrote in message

> "bz" > wrote
>> HAR-!
>>
>> I tried the Teaching by Example Method. She knew something was up when I
>> gently plucked her from her spot under the crepe myrtle, and she began
>> contorting in my arms as I approached the Litter Box Site indoors.
>> Suddenly, I was holding a bundle of prickly pear cactus. I let her go.
>> Disappointed, I scooped the poop for a minute.
>
> Aww, I'm sorry. I guess Wanda is a bit wilder than my kitty was. ;)
>

>> I guess I'll wait until she's hungry and associate a food treat with
>> some litter excavation & cover practice. I know I am getting very good
>> at it.
>>
>> What is it about cats-?? She's completely useless (never caught a
>> rodent) and has hairballed the good couch countless times. But--when I'm
>> stretched out watching the tube, she'll hop up there and nest on my
>> stomach, purring, giving me the happy eye. If I pet her just right,
>> Wanda will crawl towards my face and give me a "muzzle kiss."
>>
>> At that moment, the smelly crap is forgotten. Nearly.
>
> You're a goner. I am afraid Wanda, smelly poops and all, has you
> in her kitty spell. There are worse things!

Cybercat is doing about what a mama cat does to train her kits to cover! I
suspect that at least some cats who don't cover haven't had adequate
mothering.

I had some luck with teaching one of my cats to cover as cybercat describes.
She was the type who would paw the floor next to the box, like she knew she
was supposed to do *something* but didn't fully understand how to operate a
litterbox. So I showed her.

Another cat, however (who definitely had not spent enough time with her
mother before being dumped), responded differently from my efforts to teach
her to cover. She responded to the praise in the litter box as if the
litter box itself was the source of good, as opposed to the covering
behavior being good. So, f'rinstance, if she got in trouble for something,
she'd run to the litterbox and lie down in it. I gave up. This poor girl
doesn't even point the right way most of the time when she uses the box --
she stands on the edge and it's a toss-up whether she'll point in or out. I
spread paper around the box and I love her anyway :-)

ep

mlbriggs
October 28th 06, 11:50 PM
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 09:28:28 -0500, bz wrote:

> The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
> healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
> on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
>
> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
> have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
> filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
>
> I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
> the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
>
> We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
> the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
> previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
> bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
> something-?
>
> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
>
> Buzzy

Just a couple of thoughts: Feed her a higher quality food that won't
stink as much coming out. Also be sure the litter pan is in a low traffic
area so she won't feel the need to exit so fast. When I first had TuTu
she would run like the wind leaving the box. Now she knows she is safe
and she takes her time coving up the deposit. Good luck. MLB

Rhonda
October 29th 06, 12:07 AM
Do you have a covered litter box? That might cut down on the smell.

If you don't scoop it right away, you can have a cup of litter close by
and just dump it on top.

I think some cats do this as a dominance thing. We had a cat who would
scoop under the pile until he had his stinky stuff resting on a higher
mound of litter. I think he was proud, and making a little shrine.

Rhonda

bz wrote:
> The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
> healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
> on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
>
> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
> have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
> filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
>
> I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
> the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
>
> We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
> the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
> previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
> bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
> something-?
>
> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
>
> Buzzy

Magic Mood JeepŠ
October 29th 06, 12:23 AM
In ,
Edna Pearl purred:
> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>>
>> "bz" > wrote
>>> HAR-!
>>>
>>> I tried the Teaching by Example Method. She knew something was up
>>> when I gently plucked her from her spot under the crepe myrtle, and
>>> she began contorting in my arms as I approached the Litter Box Site
>>> indoors. Suddenly, I was holding a bundle of prickly pear cactus. I
>>> let her go. Disappointed, I scooped the poop for a minute.
>>
>> Aww, I'm sorry. I guess Wanda is a bit wilder than my kitty was. ;)
>>

>>> I guess I'll wait until she's hungry and associate a food treat with
>>> some litter excavation & cover practice. I know I am getting very
>>> good at it.
>>>
>>> What is it about cats-?? She's completely useless (never caught a
>>> rodent) and has hairballed the good couch countless times.
>>> But--when I'm stretched out watching the tube, she'll hop up there
>>> and nest on my stomach, purring, giving me the happy eye. If I pet
>>> her just right, Wanda will crawl towards my face and give me a "muzzle
>>> kiss."
>>>
>>> At that moment, the smelly crap is forgotten. Nearly.
>>
>> You're a goner. I am afraid Wanda, smelly poops and all, has you
>> in her kitty spell. There are worse things!
>
> Cybercat is doing about what a mama cat does to train her kits to
> cover! I suspect that at least some cats who don't cover haven't had
> adequate mothering.

Hate to shoot you out of the water here (OK, I don't hate it :D), but I have
a hand-raised (abandoned by a feral mama when he was about 24 hours old)
that *told* me when he was ready for a litterbox by peein in the corner of
his nest-box (his eyes were barely open), and when I gave him an itty-bitty
box, he dug in it like there was no tomorrow (scattering litter all over the
place)! I *never* showed him how, just put him in it! The next morning,
there were 3 places of pee, and 2 turds (unfortunately, there wasn't enough
litter in that itty0bitty box to cover them)!

Now, he buries poo - sometimes other cat's poo if he finds it offensive when
he goes into the litterbox to use it.

> I had some luck with teaching one of my cats to cover as cybercat
> describes. She was the type who would paw the floor next to the box,
> like she knew she was supposed to do *something* but didn't fully
> understand how to operate a litterbox. So I showed her.
>
> Another cat, however (who definitely had not spent enough time with
> her mother before being dumped), responded differently from my
> efforts to teach her to cover. She responded to the praise in the
> litter box as if the litter box itself was the source of good, as
> opposed to the covering behavior being good. So, f'rinstance, if she
> got in trouble for something, she'd run to the litterbox and lie down
> in it. I gave up. This poor girl doesn't even point the right way
> most of the time when she uses the box -- she stands on the edge and
> it's a toss-up whether she'll point in or out. I spread paper around
> the box and I love her anyway :-)
> ep

bz
October 29th 06, 01:13 AM
In article >,
Rhonda > wrote:

> Do you have a covered litter box? That might cut down on the smell.
>
> If you don't scoop it right away, you can have a cup of litter close by
> and just dump it on top.
>
> I think some cats do this as a dominance thing. We had a cat who would
> scoop under the pile until he had his stinky stuff resting on a higher
> mound of litter. I think he was proud, and making a little shrine.
>
> Rhonda
>
> bz wrote:
> > The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
> > healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
> > on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
> >
> > The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
> >
> > After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
> > have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
> > filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
> >
> > I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
> > the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
> >
> > We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
> > the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
> > previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
> > bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
> > something-?
> >
> > Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
> >
> > Buzzy

I had no idea there were so many non-poop coverers among the cats out
there. Interesting.

I have to tell a story. Our long-gone (and sorely missed) B+W tabby,
Luckee, was a smart critter who spent 5, 10 minutes or more concealing
every molecule of her crap. She would pause, examine it, keep at it.
Very thorough. She was a rescued cat whose tail got broken & skinned
about halfway when she climbed under the hood of my mom's car. Lost a
couple of teeth, too. Millions of dollars later, she was our pet, and
she seemed grateful. Luckee had 50% of her tail, which got attention.

Anyway, once we had a family emergency--had to leave town fast for about
four days--no time to board her. I fixed up a habitat in our utility
room, leaving plenty of water, food, toys, etc. Lastly, I filled a giant
cardboard litter box.

Upon returning, we opened the door to find Luckee contentedly sleeping
on her pad. Of course, the box odor was sharp, and it seemed to emanate
from someplace high. To my amazement, I discovered that I had
[apparently] placed the box on a shelf around four feet high, with about
3-4 inches of overhang, in my haste to get the habitat ready.

Incredibly, the cat had made her way up there every time Nature called,
and carefully shat. What a cat-! A damned rottweiler killed her about
six years ago, and I have had my 8mm Mauser in the hall closet since
then in case he returns.

I have told this [true!] story to Wanda repeatedly, but she hasn't
gotten the point. She just slowly blinks.

jmc
October 29th 06, 11:55 AM
Suddenly, without warning, William Hamblen exclaimed (29-Oct-06 1:16 AM):
> On 2006-10-28, bz > wrote:
>
>> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> I don't think you can train a cat to cover her feces. Some do
> it and others don't. A former coworker once had two cats. One
> was a coverer and one wasn't. The cat that was a coverer would
> also do that chore for the other cat.
>
> The answer is to be ready with the scoop. You need to scoop
> whether or not they bury scat.
>
> Bud

I successfully taught my cat to cover when she was a kitten, and
sometimes wish I hadn't. She went from never covering to being and
obsessive digger - and often we'd end up with this huge mountain of
litter, with her poo sitting unburied on top.

Now she's smarter and more practiced. If we're home, she doesn't cover.
When we're not home, she covers. It's only been in the last year that
she's actually figured out to properly cover - she's 10 now.

jmc

Spot
October 29th 06, 12:57 PM
I don't think there is a way to teach her to do it. If it's a real problem
to keep it scooped you might want to invest in a self cleaning litter box.

Celeste

"bz" > wrote in message
> The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
> healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
> on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
>
> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>
> After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
> have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
> filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
>
> I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
> the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
>
> We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
> the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
> previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
> bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
> something-?
>
> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
>
> Buzzy

Robert Bodling
October 29th 06, 03:44 PM
That's a good question, my little Princess will burry her poop, but for some
apparent reason she likes to scratch the dirt so much, she continues to get
about as much dirt outside the box as there is still inside, why? The there
has been some times, I've seen her scratching in the dirt she has kicked out
of the box, as if there wasn't enough inside, why did she rake it out?

"Spot" > wrote in message
news:[email protected]
>I don't think there is a way to teach her to do it. If it's a real problem
>to keep it scooped you might want to invest in a self cleaning litter box.
>
> Celeste
>
> "bz" > wrote in message
>> The Cat: Wanda the 4-5 yr old female tabby, 4-5 lbs, N Texas area,
>> healthy and smart; prefers outdoors. Regularly checked at vet & current
>> on shots. At last check, no intestinal problems.
>>
>> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.
>>
>> After she defecates, she will simply glance at the [stuff] and bolt. I
>> have tried every brand of litter; we keep the box clean and adequately
>> filled. It's in a secluded place (but the odor finds us).
>>
>> I have observed Wanda doing her bidness in the flower bed; she exhibits
>> the same behavior. The offal is left alone.
>>
>> We want to lure her back to the indoors for the winter but don't relish
>> the task of servicing her fetid litter box every time she poops. (Our
>> previous cats were quite fastidious.) Can she be trained to stay and
>> bury her turds-? Is she trying, in her subtle feline way, to tell us
>> something-?
>>
>> Stepping outside for a breath of air, I thank you in advance.
>>
>> Buzzy

cybercat
October 29th 06, 03:47 PM
"Robert Bodling" > wrote in message
> That's a good question, my little Princess will burry her poop, but for
> some apparent reason she likes to scratch the dirt so much, she continues
> to get about as much dirt outside the box as there is still inside, why?
> The there has been some times, I've seen her scratching in the dirt she
> has kicked out of the box, as if there wasn't enough inside, why did she
> rake it out?

It is my understanding that they bury their scat in the wild to hide their
scent
so that they do not attract predators. So those who overbury may just be
trying to be on the safe side. The scratchin outside the box--think of it
more
as a reflex than a thought-out action. She is just being through, just
making
sure, for safety's sake.

---MIKE---
October 29th 06, 05:19 PM
Sometimes Tiger covers the poop and sometimes he doesn't. Amber on the
other hand overdoes it. She covers and covers and litter goes all over
the place.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

arhooley
October 29th 06, 06:00 PM
The cat won. Cute guy, a year old, used the box but wouldn't cover up
his gross-smelling feces. I tried putting him back in the box and using
his own paws to cover it up numerous times, but he considered this a
tiresome exercise. Why does the Friendly Monster do this to me?

Finally, I had to give up the litter box entirely, prop a window open
so he could come and go, and let him use the Great Outdoors. When the
weather was cold and the windows were closed, he was very good about
running to the door and telling me he needed a bathroom break. Amazing
the way he learned to do that but could never figure out the covering
his poo in the litterbox thing.

If your residential situation allows you the Great Outdoor solution, I
think that's it, or you'll just have to spend the next 10 years
"flushing the toilet" so to speak for your cat.

Isn't cat ownership grand?

Ryan Robbins
October 29th 06, 08:15 PM
"arhooley" > wrote in message
ups.com...

> If your residential situation allows you the Great Outdoor solution, I
> think that's it, or you'll just have to spend the next 10 years
> "flushing the toilet" so to speak for your cat.

Troll.

Don't take this poor advice.

PawsForThought
October 29th 06, 09:22 PM
bz wrote:
> The Problem: will NOT cover her stool in her litter box.

Sorry, but I don't see this as much of a problem. Just scoop it out
and don't worry about it. Some cats are just not buriers. Just be
happy she's using the box, I say.

meeee
October 30th 06, 03:08 AM
yep; i have two who do this. sometimes my more finicky cats will look at her
in well mannered disgust and cover it for her. But mostly I just fix it
myself. welcome to the wonderful world of cats!!