PDA

View Full Version : Re: TK's HCM checkup at Tufts...Phil P

mlbriggs
October 28th 06, 07:24 PM
On Sat, 28 Oct 2006 08:50:10 +0200, Nomen Nescio wrote:

> TK went for his yearly Echo, etc., at Tufts this week.
> Some good news, and, as I see it, a disturbing development.
> The Good:
> TK has turned out to be the one in a thousand cats that has
> seen MAJOR reversal in his HCM. Reversal to the point where
> it is almost nonexistent.
> Mitral regurge.....undetectable in all but his most excited state.
> Wall thicknesses......damn near normal
> Atrium.......near normal
> I don't have the full report, yet, or I'd post the numbers.
> But his overall condition is excellent.
> Dr Rush said that if this was the first time he'd seen TK, he would
> tell me that I could discontinue the (twice a week) aspirin, but under
> the circumstances he was reluctant to suggest changing anything.
> So since his kidney values are all good, we're continuing the aspirin
> and monitoring kidney function regularly.
> Overall, the news couldn't be much better.
>
> Now the disturbing development (and it may keep me from going
> back to Tufts):
> Dr. Rush and another cardiologist were looking at the echo. Pointing,
> running playbacks, and talking VERY quietly among themselves.
> This was before I knew the results and it was making me VERY
> uptight. As my wife later described it, there was a "feeling of urgency
> in the room". Looking back, I would describe it as a "feeling of excitement".
> You kinda had to be there, but it was very unnerving for me.
> So Dr. Rush told us how well TK was doing......and then:
> He wanted to sedate TK to take some readings when he was in
> a less excited state (TK was very excited about the whole event.
> squirming, bitching, etc.....He was not a happy cat)
> I was reluctant to sedate him.
> Then came the offer that really disturbed me.
> "We'd like to use him in a couple of studies we're doing. We want
> to sedate him for some more tests, do some x-rays, and draw some
> blood for (someone else) who is doing a genetic study of HCM. If
> you consent to this, there will be no charge for today's visit or any
> follow-up care" Uh-Oh. .......Houston, we have a problem.
> TK has just gone from "patient" to "data point".
>
> While I would like to help in research that might do some good
> for other cats, I have several reservations.
> a) TK is NOT a good subject for a study. He may live in a
> house, but he is not a "housecat". He's still at least 75% wild
> and is very distrusting of humans (especially men, which may
> say something about his life before we found him). He trusts
> me, he trusts my wife, but nobody else.
> b) I don't want to subject him to "tests" that he does not need
> and that increase his risks (ex. X-rays)
> c) "Safe" anesthetics have almost killed me twice. (Do you know
> anyone who has been on the edge of cardiac arrest from a drop
> of Novocaine in the eye?....You do now!)
> d) TK can't give his "consent" for the tests.
> e) He may be an important "data point" to Dr Rush, but to me
> he's my "buddy".
> [...]

If he seems to be doing well in a year, why take him back at all? I
don't remember reading your original posts so I don't have all the facts.
Sometimes you have to go with your gut feelings. Best wishes. MLB