PDA

View Full Version : Re: TK's HCM checkup at Tufts...Phil P

Lynne
October 29th 06, 03:29 AM
on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 06:50:10 GMT, Nomen Nescio > wrote:

> I see two choices:
> Don't go back to Tufts.
> (Where do I take him?)
> or
> benefit and I don't give a flying f**k about his research.
> (That should go over real big)

I have a child with CCHD who spent most of the first year of his life in
a teaching hospital. I have had several similar experiences to yours,
most notably an incompetent technician trying to draw blood when he was
very, very tiny (with very tiny veins). On this particular occasion,
after the 3rd stick, I said "we're done" and that was it for that tech.
After that experience, I opted to tell the technicians they get one
chance, so they better use their best technician. It was never a problem
again.

We participated in several studies, but *only* when I felt the potential
for medical advancement outweighed a temporary inconvenience to him (risk
was never acceptable to me). Given that he owes his life to medical
research, I felt it was the least I could do.

Finally, when either he or I was particualary stressed, I would refuse to
allow students to observe procedures (he has had 5 heart surgeries, all
before the age of 4).

You have all of the above options and should exercise them confidently.
You are your cat's only advocate, just as I am my son's. You are also
paying the bills and the doctor is your employee while you are paying for
him. If Dr. Rush is normally respectful and humane with your cat,
continue to see him *only* after discussing your concerns about your last
visit. If you are at all inclined to participate in medical research,
decide what you feel is safe for your cat and state clearly to Dr. Rush
what you will and will not allow. If he is defensive or you don't feel
he will provide good care to your cat, ask him for a referral to another
doctor. Tell him that you no longer feel comfortable bringing your cat
to him.

I think it's wonderful that TK is doing so well!

--
Lynne

meeee
October 30th 06, 02:03 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Sat, 28 Oct 2006 06:50:10 GMT, Nomen Nescio > wrote:
>
>> I see two choices:
>> Don't go back to Tufts.
>> (Where do I take him?)
>> or
>> benefit and I don't give a flying f**k about his research.
>> (That should go over real big)
>
> I have a child with CCHD who spent most of the first year of his life in
> a teaching hospital. I have had several similar experiences to yours,
> most notably an incompetent technician trying to draw blood when he was
> very, very tiny (with very tiny veins). On this particular occasion,
> after the 3rd stick, I said "we're done" and that was it for that tech.
> After that experience, I opted to tell the technicians they get one
> chance, so they better use their best technician. It was never a problem
> again.
>
> We participated in several studies, but *only* when I felt the potential
> for medical advancement outweighed a temporary inconvenience to him (risk
> was never acceptable to me). Given that he owes his life to medical
> research, I felt it was the least I could do.
>
> Finally, when either he or I was particualary stressed, I would refuse to
> allow students to observe procedures (he has had 5 heart surgeries, all
> before the age of 4).
>
> You have all of the above options and should exercise them confidently.
> You are your cat's only advocate, just as I am my son's. You are also
> paying the bills and the doctor is your employee while you are paying for
> him. If Dr. Rush is normally respectful and humane with your cat,
> continue to see him *only* after discussing your concerns about your last
> visit. If you are at all inclined to participate in medical research,
> decide what you feel is safe for your cat and state clearly to Dr. Rush
> what you will and will not allow. If he is defensive or you don't feel
> he will provide good care to your cat, ask him for a referral to another
> doctor. Tell him that you no longer feel comfortable bringing your cat
> to him.
>
> I think it's wonderful that TK is doing so well!
>
> --
> Lynne

I agree with everything Lynne said, and she said it very well too! Stnad
your ground, and good on you for not letting them bully you into this. I
hate it when professionals let their research overcome their ethics. Yuk. Go
with your gut feeling, and do what's best for TK; demand respect from that
vet as he's obviously not handing out much of it on his own. Best of luck.