PDA

View Full Version : Round worms

October 29th 06, 03:45 PM
About a month ago I took in a stray, about 1/2 grown cat/kitten. Very
energetic, eats good, etc. Last nigh she vomited after eating and at
first I thought she must have found a piece of string and eaten it, then
noticed it was moving.

The cat vomited again a couple minutes later and there was another worm
in that.

Each was several inches long. I think they are round worms.

Is there any home remedy I can give her until I can get her to the vet?
My car is in the garage having some work done, and I won't have it back
until Tuesday.

By the way, how much is the medication for round worms and which is the
most effective?

Gail
October 29th 06, 04:05 PM
I would not worm a cat with over the counter medication. I would "save" the
worm in a cup and bring it to the vet's with you. Over the counter meds can
be dangerous.
Gail
> wrote in message
> About a month ago I took in a stray, about 1/2 grown cat/kitten. Very
> energetic, eats good, etc. Last nigh she vomited after eating and at
> first I thought she must have found a piece of string and eaten it, then
> noticed it was moving.
>
> The cat vomited again a couple minutes later and there was another worm
> in that.
>
> Each was several inches long. I think they are round worms.
>
> Is there any home remedy I can give her until I can get her to the vet?
> My car is in the garage having some work done, and I won't have it back
> until Tuesday.
>
> By the way, how much is the medication for round worms and which is the
> most effective?

Buddy's Mom
October 29th 06, 04:29 PM
I did a google search for roundworms and found this:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_roundworms_in_cats___kittens.html

There are many more. Please take your kitty to the vet on Monday. If
you read these web pages, you will see that these worms can kill your
cat and since your cat is already vomiting worms he must be quite full
of them! If I read correctly, you can also get these worms yourself!

Get thee to a vet tomorrow, please!

wrote:
> About a month ago I took in a stray, about 1/2 grown cat/kitten. Very
> energetic, eats good, etc. Last nigh she vomited after eating and at
> first I thought she must have found a piece of string and eaten it, then
> noticed it was moving.
>
> The cat vomited again a couple minutes later and there was another worm
> in that.
>
> Each was several inches long. I think they are round worms.
>
> Is there any home remedy I can give her until I can get her to the vet?
> My car is in the garage having some work done, and I won't have it back
> until Tuesday.
>
> By the way, how much is the medication for round worms and which is the
> most effective?

John Ross Mc Master
October 29th 06, 04:34 PM
On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 10:45:23 -0500, wrote:

>About a month ago I took in a stray, about 1/2 grown cat/kitten. Very
>energetic, eats good, etc. Last nigh she vomited after eating and at
>first I thought she must have found a piece of string and eaten it, then
>noticed it was moving.
>
>The cat vomited again a couple minutes later and there was another worm
>in that.
>
>Each was several inches long. I think they are round worms.
>
>Is there any home remedy I can give her until I can get her to the vet?
>My car is in the garage having some work done, and I won't have it back
>until Tuesday.
>
>By the way, how much is the medication for round worms and which is the
>most effective?

Drontyl kiils ringworms and so does Revolution. They are both under
$20-30, fom the vets.

MaryL
October 29th 06, 05:55 PM
> wrote in message
> About a month ago I took in a stray, about 1/2 grown cat/kitten. Very
> energetic, eats good, etc. Last nigh she vomited after eating and at
> first I thought she must have found a piece of string and eaten it, then
> noticed it was moving.
>
> The cat vomited again a couple minutes later and there was another worm
> in that.
>
> Each was several inches long. I think they are round worms.
>
> Is there any home remedy I can give her until I can get her to the vet?
> My car is in the garage having some work done, and I won't have it back
> until Tuesday.
>
> By the way, how much is the medication for round worms and which is the
> most effective?

Don't try to self-medicate. Over-the-counter medications are ineffective
and often dangerous -- and the meds you will get from your vet are not
expensive. If possible, save some "sample" worms (yes, I know -- yecch!).
Put them in a plastic bag and seal shut.

I don't think one day will make a lot of difference, but I personally would
want to try to find a way to get to the vet on Monday -- or at least call
and ask advice. This sounds like your poor kitty may have quite a *lot* of
worms.

MaryL