PDA

View Full Version : Clyde update

October 31st 06, 08:59 PM
Clyde has been doing pretty well now he started drinking water on his
own. He still likes the wet food and wont eat the dry so I mix the wet
food with the dry food. He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
from biting? He is almost 9 weeks old right now any help would be
appreciated.

cybercat
October 31st 06, 09:19 PM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Clyde has been doing pretty well now he started drinking water on his
> own. He still likes the wet food and wont eat the dry so I mix the wet
> food with the dry food. He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
> of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
> from biting? He is almost 9 weeks old right now any help would be
> appreciated.

I'm glad he's doing better!

As for biting, when he bites you stop playing immediately and
say OW loudly. They don't like loud noises, and they do care
if you are displeased, especially if it means you will not play.

Get a feather on a string, or any other thing you can play with
your cat with without getting your hands involved.

Is there a reason you are trying to give him dry?

October 31st 06, 10:45 PM
On Oct 31, 1:19 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote in oglegroups.com...
>
> > Clyde has been doing pretty well now he started drinking water on his
> > own. He still likes the wet food and wont eat the dry so I mix the wet
> > food with the dry food. He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
> > of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
> > from biting? He is almost 9 weeks old right now any help would be
> > appreciated.I'm glad he's doing better!
>
> As for biting, when he bites you stop playing immediately and
> say OW loudly. They don't like loud noises, and they do care
> if you are displeased, especially if it means you will not play.
>
> Get a feather on a string, or any other thing you can play with
> your cat with without getting your hands involved.
>
> Is there a reason you are trying to give him dry?

We want to give him dry because it's a lot cheaper and it doesnt smell
haha

cybercat
October 31st 06, 11:00 PM
> wrote:
>>
>> Is there a reason you are trying to give him dry?
>
> We want to give him dry because it's a lot cheaper and it doesnt smell
> haha

lol!

But seriously, cut it out. It's bad for him. >:

October 31st 06, 11:15 PM
On Oct 31, 3:00 pm, "cybercat" > wrote:
> > wrote:
>
> >> Is there a reason you are trying to give him dry?
>
> > We want to give him dry because it's a lot cheaper and it doesnt smell
> > hahalol!
>
> But seriously, cut it out. It's bad for him. >:

Dry food is bad for him? I thought it was good for his teeth.

---MIKE---
October 31st 06, 11:48 PM
You are very fortunate that he likes canned food. Urinary crystals are
much less likely if a cat eats canned food. If you want to help his
teeth (and this is doubtful) give him something like Friskies Dental
Diet (cheap) in small quantities as a treat. I give Tiger six pieces of
this at bedtime every night (Amber is not interested). Canned food may
be more expensive but vet bills for urinary blockage are not cheap.
It's best to try and prevent this.

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lesley
November 1st 06, 12:05 AM
wrote:
He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
> of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
> from biting?

Use a toy that doesn't involve hands- the ole feather onna stick or red
dot laser greebling are great! Otherwise Clyde's gonna associate play
with biting hands

Also let him have the wet food he wants- wet is better than dry food.
Unless its designed for tooth care (If you are in the UK Tesco's do a
specific dental treat but its designed as a reward or treat not as a
meal substitute) then the dental benefits are minimal

Lesley

Slave of the Fabulous Furballs

Lynne
November 1st 06, 03:01 AM
on Tue, 31 Oct 2006 23:15:16 GMT, wrote:

> Dry food is bad for him? I thought it was good for his teeth.

it's a common misconception that dry food helps keep cat teeth clean. It
simply does not, due to the way cats slice food with their teeth, rather
than chew.

Your kitten is still young enough that you can get him used to brushing his
teeth. I brush all my animals' teeth and it makes a huge difference IMO.

--
Lynne

Rhonda
November 1st 06, 03:43 AM
I'm glad he's doing well and that he's drinking water! He's such a cutie.

Do whatever you can to discourage that hand-biting. You've already got
some good tips from others.

Good luck,

Rhonda

wrote:
> Clyde has been doing pretty well now he started drinking water on his
> own. He still likes the wet food and wont eat the dry so I mix the wet
> food with the dry food. He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
> of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
> from biting? He is almost 9 weeks old right now any help would be
> appreciated.

November 1st 06, 03:54 AM
On Oct 31, 7:43 pm, Rhonda > wrote:
> I'm glad he's doing well and that he's drinking water! He's such a cutie.
>
> Do whatever you can to discourage that hand-biting. You've already got
> some good tips from others.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Rhonda
>
> wrote:
> > Clyde has been doing pretty well now he started drinking water on his
> > own. He still likes the wet food and wont eat the dry so I mix the wet
> > food with the dry food. He has biting a lot now and I know it's because
> > of me playing with him using my hands. What's the best way to stop him
> > from biting? He is almost 9 weeks old right now any help would be
> > appreciated.

Yelling ow when he bites me has already worked. Whenever I yell it he
backs away a little and kind of swats at me with his paws instead of
biting.