PDA

View Full Version : Strange bump on kitten - update

Lynne
November 1st 06, 03:17 PM
Levi saw the vet this morning for another booster. The bump is definitely
from his last injection--he said that can persist for up to a month. It's
smaller now, too.

--
Lynne

cybercat
November 1st 06, 03:28 PM
"Lynne" > wrote
> Levi saw the vet this morning for another booster. The bump is definitely
> from his last injection--he said that can persist for up to a month. It's
> smaller now, too.

That's worrisome.

Lynne
November 1st 06, 03:30 PM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:28:15 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> That's worrisome.

I'm actually relieved to know what it is. His last booster was 3 weeks ago
and the bump is almost gone now. Why do you think it's worrisome?

--
Lynne

cybercat
November 1st 06, 04:32 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:28:15 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:
>
>> That's worrisome.
>
> I'm actually relieved to know what it is. His last booster was 3 weeks
> ago
> and the bump is almost gone now. Why do you think it's worrisome?

I'm just paranoid about injection site bumps because I have read about
injection-site tumors. Gracie had a bump for a while and it went away.
I am sure Levi's is nothing, too.

Lynne
November 1st 06, 06:45 PM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:17:09 GMT, Lynne >
wrote:

well here are some photos of the little devil.

Levi sitting in my lap, soaking up the sun:
http://fototime.com/481BA02E0914965/orig.jpg

rolling on my office chair:
http://fototime.com/132B48442CEE196/standard.jpg

taking a rare nap not on my lap:
http://fototime.com/8DA6BD7398BEF48/standard.jpg

wrestling with his fat brother, Rudy:
http://fototime.com/8F04892B8968DF1/standard.jpg
all of his kitten fuzz is gone and he is shiney and silky!

and finally, doing what he loves best:
http://fototime.com/28FEE8881ABFED2/standard.jpg
usually he has his little paws on my face, kneading, but it was hard to get
this 'self' portrait and he was hanging on for dear life while my hands
were busy!

--
Lynne

Lynne
November 1st 06, 06:51 PM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 15:32:33 GMT, "cybercat" > wrote:

> I'm just paranoid about injection site bumps because I have read about
> injection-site tumors. Gracie had a bump for a while and it went away.
> I am sure Levi's is nothing, too.

Since it was just the upper respiratory vaccine, it's probably nothing to
worry about. I plan to put off the rabies until he's about a year old
(even though I am quite sure that is illegal in my state...).

--
Lynne

Matthew
November 1st 06, 06:55 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:17:09 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> well here are some photos of the little devil.
>
> Levi sitting in my lap, soaking up the sun:
> http://fototime.com/481BA02E0914965/orig.jpg
>
> rolling on my office chair:
> http://fototime.com/132B48442CEE196/standard.jpg
>
> taking a rare nap not on my lap:
> http://fototime.com/8DA6BD7398BEF48/standard.jpg
>
> wrestling with his fat brother, Rudy:
> http://fototime.com/8F04892B8968DF1/standard.jpg
> all of his kitten fuzz is gone and he is shiney and silky!
>
> and finally, doing what he loves best:
> http://fototime.com/28FEE8881ABFED2/standard.jpg
> usually he has his little paws on my face, kneading, but it was hard to
> get
> this 'self' portrait and he was hanging on for dear life while my hands
> were busy!
>
> --
> Lynne

I am glad everything is ok.

WHAT A CUTIE :-)

Lynne
November 1st 06, 07:03 PM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:55:42 GMT, "Matthew" >
wrote:

> I am glad everything is ok.

Thank you!

> WHAT A CUTIE :-)

He is irresistible!!

--
Lynne

Matthew
November 1st 06, 07:11 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 17:55:42 GMT, "Matthew"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> I am glad everything is ok.
>
> Thank you!
>
>> WHAT A CUTIE :-)
>
> He is irresistible!!

Yeah they have to be irrespirable with all the little devils antics that
they pull. They have us trained so easy don't they. I would never change
that for a minute

This is one of Ka'Shay http://tinypic.com/21nqdd0.jpg only way to get her
to sit still

I need a new camera mine took a plunge

> Lynne

Edna Pearl
November 1st 06, 07:14 PM
Argh! Cute overload! I'm blind!

ep

"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:17:09 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> well here are some photos of the little devil.
>
> Levi sitting in my lap, soaking up the sun:
> http://fototime.com/481BA02E0914965/orig.jpg
>
> rolling on my office chair:
> http://fototime.com/132B48442CEE196/standard.jpg
>
> taking a rare nap not on my lap:
> http://fototime.com/8DA6BD7398BEF48/standard.jpg
>
> wrestling with his fat brother, Rudy:
> http://fototime.com/8F04892B8968DF1/standard.jpg
> all of his kitten fuzz is gone and he is shiney and silky!
>
> and finally, doing what he loves best:
> http://fototime.com/28FEE8881ABFED2/standard.jpg
> usually he has his little paws on my face, kneading, but it was hard to
> get
> this 'self' portrait and he was hanging on for dear life while my hands
> were busy!
>
> --
> Lynne

cybercat
November 1st 06, 07:25 PM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:17:09 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> well here are some photos of the little devil.
>
> Levi sitting in my lap, soaking up the sun:
> http://fototime.com/481BA02E0914965/orig.jpg
>
> rolling on my office chair:
> http://fototime.com/132B48442CEE196/standard.jpg
>
> taking a rare nap not on my lap:
> http://fototime.com/8DA6BD7398BEF48/standard.jpg
>
> wrestling with his fat brother, Rudy:
> http://fototime.com/8F04892B8968DF1/standard.jpg
> all of his kitten fuzz is gone and he is shiney and silky!
>
> and finally, doing what he loves best:
> http://fototime.com/28FEE8881ABFED2/standard.jpg
> usually he has his little paws on my face, kneading, but it was hard to
> get
> this 'self' portrait and he was hanging on for dear life while my hands
> were busy!
>
> --

OMG! He's too much! Thanks for posting these.

Buddy's Mom
November 1st 06, 10:52 PM
Lynne
He is a doll. I am glad to hear the bump is going away. I am the one
who mentioned the injection site tumors. Since having a cat who died
from this problem and I knew nothing about this possiblity until it was
too late, I do like to let people know that this can be a problem.

I thought that they had some rabies vaccinations now that were nasal?
Or am I thinking of something else?

Lynne wrote:
> on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 14:17:09 GMT, Lynne >
> wrote:
>
> well here are some photos of the little devil.
>
> Levi sitting in my lap, soaking up the sun:
> http://fototime.com/481BA02E0914965/orig.jpg
>
> rolling on my office chair:
> http://fototime.com/132B48442CEE196/standard.jpg
>
> taking a rare nap not on my lap:
> http://fototime.com/8DA6BD7398BEF48/standard.jpg
>
> wrestling with his fat brother, Rudy:
> http://fototime.com/8F04892B8968DF1/standard.jpg
> all of his kitten fuzz is gone and he is shiney and silky!
>
> and finally, doing what he loves best:
> http://fototime.com/28FEE8881ABFED2/standard.jpg
> usually he has his little paws on my face, kneading, but it was hard to get
> this 'self' portrait and he was hanging on for dear life while my hands
> were busy!
>
> --
> Lynne

Roby
November 2nd 06, 01:15 AM
Buddy's Mom wrote:

( snip )
> I thought that they had some rabies vaccinations now that were nasal?
> Or am I thinking of something else?

Something else: Heska's trivalent intranasal/intraocular vaccine that
protects against rhino/calici/panleuk. My herd has used it (instead of
the injectable) since it hit the market about 10 years ago.

There's an adjuvant-free injectable rabies vaccine (PureVax) out as well
that may reduce the risk of injection-site sarcoma. My kids get PureVax
annually.

Roby

Lynne
November 2nd 06, 01:43 AM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 21:52:58 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I thought that they had some rabies vaccinations now that were nasal?
> Or am I thinking of something else?

I read about this as well. I'm not sure how widely available it is,
though. I will look into this before I get Levi vaccinated for Rabies. I
hate that an exclusively indoor cat is required by law in this state to
have the Rabies vaccine. I guess there are enough dumbasses that would not
be dilligent about keeping their cat inside or perhaps even lie to get out
of paying for the shot and that is why the law exists, but it still irks
me. Does nothing exist anymore that hasn't been dumbed-down for the
masses??

--
Lynne

---MIKE---
November 2nd 06, 02:04 AM
Rabies can also be transmitted by bats and it is possible for a bat to
get in the house. It is also possible for an inside cat to sneak out
long enough to get bitten by a racoon or other animal that has rabies.
If your cat bites anyone (the vet?) and is not up to date on the rabies
shot, he could be put in quarantine or killed to be sure he does not
have rabies. Is it worth the risk?

---MIKE---
>>In the White Mountains of New Hampshire
>> (44° 15' N - Elevation 1580')

Lynne
November 2nd 06, 03:53 AM
on Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:04:22 GMT, (---MIKE---)
wrote:

> Rabies can also be transmitted by bats and it is possible for a bat to
> get in the house. It is also possible for an inside cat to sneak out
> long enough to get bitten by a racoon or other animal that has rabies.
> If your cat bites anyone (the vet?) and is not up to date on the rabies
> shot, he could be put in quarantine or killed to be sure he does not
> have rabies. Is it worth the risk?

I could also be bitten by a bat with rabies, but in my 42 years on this
earth, so far it hasn't happened. And I have been caving around bats more
times than I can count. I also helped trap a bat in my mother's home a few
years back and been around bats in many other situations. So yeah, while
it is a concern, it's not a huge one. If one of my cats was not vaccinated
against rabies and was bitten by a bat, I would have him quarantined and
watched for signs of rabies. Same thing if he bit someone and there was
any reason whatsoever to suspect he could have contracted rabies (such as
an unexpected escape from the house PLUS a bite wound). So if there was no
law requiring that I vaccinate my indoor cats for Rabies, I absolutely
would not. Since there is, I have and I do. But I don't like it.

--
Lynne

Lynne
November 2nd 06, 04:32 AM
on Wed, 01 Nov 2006 18:11:22 GMT, "Matthew"
> wrote:

> Yeah they have to be irrespirable with all the little devils antics
> that they pull. They have us trained so easy don't they. I would
> never change that for a minute

Oh yeah--and the devil antics are so much a part of the fun!!

> This is one of Ka'Shay http://tinypic.com/21nqdd0.jpg only way to
> get her to sit still

I love her faint stripes and her round tummy! Evil Levi is the first
kitten I've had who is rail thin. I wonder if the herpes has anything to
do with that? He's had an active outbreak now for a month, but since he is
showing no signs of infection, I have opted not to put him on antibiotics
again for now.

> I need a new camera mine took a plunge

Hopefully not due to evil kitten antics!

--
Lynne

Buddy's Mom
November 3rd 06, 11:59 AM
Lynne
I agree with your sentiments. The thing that I don't understand is -
the vets push all of these vacinations and then IF your cat turns 18
they stop giving them any. They say they are too old - this makes me
wonder..................

Lynne wrote:
> on Thu, 02 Nov 2006 01:04:22 GMT, (---MIKE---)
> wrote:
>
> > Rabies can also be transmitted by bats and it is possible for a bat to
> > get in the house. It is also possible for an inside cat to sneak out
> > long enough to get bitten by a racoon or other animal that has rabies.
> > If your cat bites anyone (the vet?) and is not up to date on the rabies
> > shot, he could be put in quarantine or killed to be sure he does not
> > have rabies. Is it worth the risk?
>
> I could also be bitten by a bat with rabies, but in my 42 years on this
> earth, so far it hasn't happened. And I have been caving around bats more
> times than I can count. I also helped trap a bat in my mother's home a few
> years back and been around bats in many other situations. So yeah, while
> it is a concern, it's not a huge one. If one of my cats was not vaccinated
> against rabies and was bitten by a bat, I would have him quarantined and
> watched for signs of rabies. Same thing if he bit someone and there was
> any reason whatsoever to suspect he could have contracted rabies (such as
> an unexpected escape from the house PLUS a bite wound). So if there was no
> law requiring that I vaccinate my indoor cats for Rabies, I absolutely
> would not. Since there is, I have and I do. But I don't like it.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
November 3rd 06, 02:34 PM
on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:59:55 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" > wrote:

> I agree with your sentiments. The thing that I don't understand is -
> the vets push all of these vacinations and then IF your cat turns 18
> they stop giving them any. They say they are too old - this makes me
> wonder..................

Good point! And another thing that irks me to no end is that my state will
not allow the 3 year rabies vaccine. Makes no sense. Of course Kentucky
is back assward in many ways.

--
Lynne, proud NOT to be a Kentucky native

Magic Mood JeepŠ
November 3rd 06, 04:32 PM
In m,
Lynne purred:
> on Fri, 03 Nov 2006 10:59:55 GMT, "Buddy's Mom" >
> wrote:
>
>> I agree with your sentiments. The thing that I don't understand is -
>> the vets push all of these vaccinations and then IF your cat turns 18
>> they stop giving them any. They say they are too old - this makes me
>
> Good point! And another thing that irks me to no end is that my
> state will not allow the 3 year rabies vaccine. Makes no sense. Of
> course Kentucky is back assward in many ways.

Indiana's the same. 3-years for dogs, but not for cats. Owner of my vet's
office seemed to think that it was the way that the vaccine is made... ?
She is a RVT, and president of our city/county animal management board, so
she is *trying* to get that changed (if she can get it changed locally, then
the 'domino effect' will happen and the rest of the state will follow
suite).