PDA

View Full Version : 2 wk old litter

ruff via CatKB.com
November 2nd 06, 03:19 PM
hi all
ruff's kittens are now 17 days old and will soon need more room! any idea
when she'll let me 'relocate' them?
she has them behind the tv stand in the bdrm - no box, just on blankets. i'd
like to set them all up in the spare bedroom as they can have it to
themselves and they're earier to 'visit'. we have a pug who's very curious (!)
- can block the doorway to this room so ruff can come and go as she pleases.
i don't want to move them too soon and upset her. (though she's very laid
back about them and has let me handle them from day one - and the dog doesn't
make her at all nervous around them)
also: foodwise, have heard i should mix her kitten food with warm water and
replacement milk and run it thru the blender 'til it's like pablum for their
first feedings. any other suggestions? at 5 wks? also their own litter box at
5 wks?
thanks for any help!

Wendy
November 2nd 06, 04:19 PM
If you have a good sized box, line it with clean towels and relocate the
family in the spare room. Put momma's litter, food and water in there so she
doesn't have to go far and keep the door closed for now so she doesn't go
and hide them somewhere else - will also keep the curious pug out of
trouble.

You should be feeding mom kitten food now so just feed wet and dry and momma
will show her babies what to do when the time comes. Same thing with the
litter box. Momma will show them the ins and outs of box etiquette as well.
Just have a box that has low enough sides for the kittens to get into. They
will probably start using it between 4-5 weeks. Mom will clean up any
'accidents' but if they are walking well, and can get into the box, you can
help her out by taking each kitten and gently scratching their front paws in
the litter. It takes very little to get them to use the box. Other than that
just make sure mom isn't stressed and has plenty of water and good quality
kitten food available. Let her do the weaning unless there is a really good
reason (health of the mom) not to. She really does know what is best for
them. Some kittens will nurse much longer than others so there really isn't
any set time when they must be weaned. As long as they all seem healthy let
her set the pace.

Just wash your hands well before handling the kittens. There is God knows
what virus and bacteria out there that they don't need to come in contact
with just yet. They have some immunity from mom right now but in the next
few weeks that will start to wane and their own immune system will take
over. They are somewhat vulnerable at that point until they are old enough
for their first immunizations.