PDA

View Full Version : Is it the Iams?

November 3rd 06, 03:59 PM
Here's the story - 8 year old neutered male - was starting to eat less
and less - had been on Purina One for years (with a treat of canned
food ev. 4th day) but suddenly not liking it - switched to Iams
chicken - he gobbled it down - a few days later, he has a diarr.
problem, and even bloody stools - took to vet - cat was down a pound in
weight - vet said I'd probably switched him too fast - cat had a form
of colitis - gave him pills for 3 days, bland liquids for a few days,
then introduced the Iams again verrrrry gradually -
now, 10 days later, he is fine, regular stools, eating about 3/4 C
Iams a day, drinking 1/2 c water daily.

Do you think it was the rapid change of food, the fact that it was to
Iams, or something else coincidental?

Should I try to make any other dietary changes?

Thanks.

vividkid
November 3rd 06, 04:10 PM
wrote:
> Here's the story - 8 year old neutered male - was starting to eat less
> and less - had been on Purina One for years (with a treat of canned
> food ev. 4th day) but suddenly not liking it - switched to Iams
> chicken - he gobbled it down - a few days later, he has a diarr.
> problem, and even bloody stools - took to vet - cat was down a pound in
> weight - vet said I'd probably switched him too fast - cat had a form
> of colitis - gave him pills for 3 days, bland liquids for a few days,
> then introduced the Iams again verrrrry gradually -
> now, 10 days later, he is fine, regular stools, eating about 3/4 C
> Iams a day, drinking 1/2 c water daily.
>
> Do you think it was the rapid change of food, the fact that it was to
> Iams, or something else coincidental?
>
> Should I try to make any other dietary changes?
>
> Thanks.

Most times, on the labels of food bags, it will state that you should
introduce new food gradually to your pet. Sudden changes can cause
diarhhea, etc. I don't know about bloody stools and weight loss, but I
would imagine it upsets their digestive system. What I usually do when
I find a new food I want to try (dry) is mix in the new with the old,
like say a 1/4 c. new to 3/4 old, then do that for a short while, then
1/2 and 1/2, then 3/4 new and 1/4 old, until its all new. I don't know
what the "rule" is for doing it though, but that has seemed to work for
me and my two little guys.