PDA

View Full Version : May I Ask A Question?

S N
November 3rd 06, 08:38 PM
Our Maine Coon cat likes just a (very) little milk in the morning when
we are eating breakfast......he doesn't get diarrhea from it.....but
someone was telling me they read that Maine Coon Cats can get ?????
diabetes from milk???? Has anyone ever heard of that?

Thank you.
Gloria

Gail
November 3rd 06, 08:49 PM
Never heard of that. If it doesn't cause diarrhea, I think it is OK.
Gail
"S N" > wrote in message
> Our Maine Coon cat likes just a (very) little milk in the morning when
> we are eating breakfast......he doesn't get diarrhea from it.....but
> someone was telling me they read that Maine Coon Cats can get ?????
> diabetes from milk???? Has anyone ever heard of that?
>
> Thank you.
> Gloria

S N
November 3rd 06, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the reply. I think the person who read that it causes
diabetes read it wrong, it was diarrhea! If I don't give my cat a little
milk (just a dab) when eating my breakfast, he sits by my legs and keeps
tapping me with that big "snowshoe foot"....thinking I forgot to give
him something. Spoiled huh! :-)

Gloria

Wendy
November 3rd 06, 10:04 PM
"S N" > wrote in message
> Thanks for the reply. I think the person who read that it causes
> diabetes read it wrong, it was diarrhea! If I don't give my cat a little
> milk (just a dab) when eating my breakfast, he sits by my legs and keeps
> tapping me with that big "snowshoe foot"....thinking I forgot to give
> him something. Spoiled huh! :-)
>
> Gloria

My cat, Tigger, used to get the left over milk in the cereal bowl any time
we had cereal. She also got to lick the ice cream bowl as long as she waited
patiently and didn't bug anyone while they were eating. It never gave her
any problem and she lived to be almost 19. That said there are cats who will
get diarrhea from dairy products. If yours doesn't then I don't see anything
wrong with giving him a treat.

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 3rd 06, 10:24 PM
My parent's have a MaineCoon and he has milk everyday and he is fine. My cat
before him also had milk everyday and she lived to be 21. Now, my two cats
that I have at home throw up whenever they have milk. I think it really just
depends on the cat.

S N wrote:
>Our Maine Coon cat likes just a (very) little milk in the morning when
>we are eating breakfast......he doesn't get diarrhea from it.....but
>someone was telling me they read that Maine Coon Cats can get ?????
>diabetes from milk???? Has anyone ever heard of that?
>
>Thank you.
>Gloria

Matthew
November 3rd 06, 10:26 PM
My rumble can drink and drink the milk with no problems. Every cat is
different

"S N" > wrote in message
> Our Maine Coon cat likes just a (very) little milk in the morning when
> we are eating breakfast......he doesn't get diarrhea from it.....but
> someone was telling me they read that Maine Coon Cats can get ?????
> diabetes from milk???? Has anyone ever heard of that?
>
> Thank you.
> Gloria

Rhonda
November 4th 06, 03:15 AM
Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
healthy for them.

I don't think a little milk will hurt if it doesn't cause digestive
problems.

Rhonda

S N wrote:
> Our Maine Coon cat likes just a (very) little milk in the morning when
> we are eating breakfast......he doesn't get diarrhea from it.....but
> someone was telling me they read that Maine Coon Cats can get ?????
> diabetes from milk???? Has anyone ever heard of that?
>
> Thank you.
> Gloria

November 4th 06, 01:59 PM
In article >, Spal1
@webtv.net says...
> Thanks for the reply. I think the person who read that it causes
> diabetes read it wrong, it was diarrhea! If I don't give my cat a little
> milk (just a dab) when eating my breakfast, he sits by my legs and keeps
> tapping me with that big "snowshoe foot"....thinking I forgot to give
> him something. Spoiled huh! :-)
>
> Gloria

My cat Randy demands that he be able to lick up the teaspoon or so
residue of milk once I'm done eating a bowl of cereal. After 17 years
some habits are hard to break.

cybercat
November 4th 06, 05:54 PM
"barb" > wrote in message
> From reading these posts, it almost seems like a little milk sometimes
> leads
> to longevity, kind of like a 90 year old having a glass of wine every
> night.

It has given every cat I have ever had explosive diarrhea. And it should be
stressed that cow's milk is NOT the thing to feed kittens, they need special
milk from the vet if they are not weaned and are without their mother.

barb
November 4th 06, 05:56 PM
From reading these posts, it almost seems like a little milk sometimes leads
to longevity, kind of like a 90 year old having a glass of wine every night.

--
Barb
Of course I don't look busy,

William Hamblen
November 4th 06, 07:18 PM
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 02:15:27 GMT, Rhonda >
wrote:

>Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
>overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
>owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
>healthy for them.

I don't know where people get 20 pound cats. The largest cat I ever
had was a thirteen pounder and he was a whopper. He was long enough
to stand on the floor and peek over the edge of the kitchen table.
The "cat size" name tags that vets use were too small to go around his
neck.

Bud
--
The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

GWB
November 4th 06, 07:38 PM
On Sat, 4 Nov 2006 11:54:29 -0500, "cybercat" >
wrote:

>"barb" > wrote in message
>> From reading these posts, it almost seems like a little milk sometimes
>> leads
>> to longevity, kind of like a 90 year old having a glass of wine every
>> night.
>>

>It has given every cat I have ever had explosive diarrhea. And it should be
>stressed that cow's milk is NOT the thing to feed kittens, they need special
>milk from the vet if they are not weaned and are without their mother.

I read that most cats are lactose intolerant, but if it doesn't give
em diarrhea and they don't throw it up it can't hurt em. It doesn't
give them any nutrition. If you fed a cat nothing but milk, it would
starve to death. Think of it as kitty junk food.
Mine loves it. I give him about an ounce if I'm eating cereal.

Matthew
November 5th 06, 07:46 AM
I have a 18 pound cat and not an ounce over weight

"William Hamblen" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 02:15:27 GMT, Rhonda >
> wrote:
>
>>Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
>>overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
>>owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
>>healthy for them.
>
> I don't know where people get 20 pound cats. The largest cat I ever
> had was a thirteen pounder and he was a whopper. He was long enough
> to stand on the floor and peek over the edge of the kitchen table.
> The "cat size" name tags that vets use were too small to go around his
> neck.
>
> Bud
> --
> The night is just the shadow of the Earth.

S N
November 5th 06, 12:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies.

Re: Weight for Maine Coon cats: Normal common weight for Main Coon cats
they say is, females 9 to 12 lbs, males 13-18. Ours is 17, so he's not
over weight

This is from the web site below:
"Although the Yankee myth of 30-pound cats is just that, a myth (unless
the cat is grossly overweight!), these are indeed tall, muscular,
big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females
normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Add to that two or three inches
of winter coat, and people will swear that they're looking at one big
cat."

Address:http://www.fanciers.com/breed-faqs/maine-coon-faq.html

November 6th 06, 09:33 AM
S N wrote:
> Thanks for all the replies.
>
> Re: Weight for Maine Coon cats: Normal common weight for Main Coon cats
> they say is, females 9 to 12 lbs, males 13-18. Ours is 17, so he's not
> over weight
>
> This is from the web site below:
> "Although the Yankee myth of 30-pound cats is just that, a myth (unless
> the cat is grossly overweight!), these are indeed tall, muscular,
> big-boned cats; males commonly reach 13 to 18 pounds, with females
> normally weighing about 9 to 12 pounds. Add to that two or three inches
> of winter coat, and people will swear that they're looking at one big
> cat."

I have a Ragdoll, also a large breed like the Maine Coon. Very similar
temperment too. Mine is currently 16 lbs and approximately 3 years old.

When I got him, the shelter thought he was a 3-4 year old Himilayan
mix, but it became obvious that he was still maturing as he gained
weight and thickened. At one point, he was up to about 19 lbs, but he
was chubby at that point. I think he was still growing, and not yet
used to having food available all the time (he was found outside
begging for food). But he has settled down and isn't so food oriented
now. And while I swear he looks and feels like he weighs 25 lbs, the
scale says 16 lbs. He does look huge with the fluffy fur and hefty
build. He is almost as tall as my sheltie, just as long, and weighs
more than she does.

I know somebody else with a heavier cat, but he has a normal frame, and
is seriously overweight. A healthy Maine Coon or Ragdoll will look
huge, but still proportional. The weight is their muscles and larger
frame, and not hanging in a huge belly :)

dgk
November 6th 06, 10:05 PM
On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 12:18:34 -0600, William Hamblen
> wrote:

>On Sat, 04 Nov 2006 02:15:27 GMT, Rhonda >
>wrote:
>
>>Maine Coons are susceptible to diabetes because they tend to be big,
>>overweight cats. Just watch his waistline. Seems like many Maine Coon
>>owners are proud to brag about the size of their cats but it's not
>>healthy for them.
>
>I don't know where people get 20 pound cats. The largest cat I ever
>had was a thirteen pounder and he was a whopper. He was long enough
>to stand on the floor and peek over the edge of the kitchen table.
>The "cat size" name tags that vets use were too small to go around his
>neck.
>
>Bud

My longhaired guy is just going from 16 to 17 lbs. I think I need to
cut down on the free feeding. But he isn't really overweight, that boy
is just big. You can tell by looking at the paws. His paws are huge
and always were. I don't know if he's part MC or not but he sure has
some traits. Furry palms, for instance. NOT what it means in humans I
understand. He's fixed.