PDA

View Full Version : Our seal Tabby Point Birman has a skin problem

November 4th 06, 09:20 PM
I bought a seal tabby point Birman 3year old queen from a breeder
recently,on the active breeding list with the intention to breed from
her...But since bringing her home we have found that she has started
developing little patches of what looks like eczma,all over her body.I
tried to find out what it might be by ringing the breeder to ask if she
had ever had this problem with her before this incident,but all the
breeder could tell me was that she thought it might be an allergic
reaction to flea's,or central heating.I took the advice and immediately
went through every cat in our house with a fine tooth comb,but
discovered no flea's or flea refuse(flea excriment) on any of the
cats,so It can't be that;&I have started to allow her to spend the
majority of her time either outside,&/or, I have also given over the
new extension we had built for my partner to her,so that she has an
area where she can go away from the central heating,to try and resolve
the issue(I have turned the central heating off in there,& there is no
carpet to allow even potential for flea's egg's to hatch& infest any of
the cats)....but it has made no difference at all to her.If anything,it
is getting worse!!!:o(
We have 3Birmans,2Ragdolls & an 18year old pensioner moggie,none of
whom has suffered from anything remotely similar to this afliction.
When you look @ the crusts/scabs & feel it by probing,it feels like
little scabs that she simply cant leave alone because they are
obviously aggrivating her.I have been combing her regularly every day
in an attempt to try & stop them spreading & aleviate the itchyness for
her..& although it is not terrible presently,I am only too aware that
it casn/will inflame again & spread all over her body as it did
before.When I do this,she is more than happy to allow me to comb out
the little scabs as they form so that they don't irritate her into
sratching herself raw~although it is a stop-Gap,it doesn't answer the
problem,which is what is wrong with her & how can I best treat her for
it to stop it coming back?If anyone out there can relate to what I am
saying and advise me,I would be ever so grateful to you.I really feel
for her & my usual vet is also my neighbor &she is in Australia for
4weeks,so any advice would be more than gratefuly accepted.I would
rather stick to my own vet if possible,but will take her to any vet if
I have to, & cant find an answer,but this is just a last ditch attempt
to try & treat her for it, than take her to someone I don't know.(I am
agrophobic!).Many thanks to anyone that might be able to help me
too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
one..sheelagh

MaryL
November 4th 06, 10:04 PM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
>I bought a seal tabby point Birman 3year old queen from a breeder
> recently,on the active breeding list with the intention to breed from
> her...But since bringing her home we have found that she has started
> developing little patches of what looks like eczma,all over her body.I
> tried to find out what it might be by ringing the breeder to ask if she
> had ever had this problem with her before this incident,but all the
> breeder could tell me was that she thought it might be an allergic
> reaction to flea's,or central heating.I took the advice and immediately
> went through every cat in our house with a fine tooth comb,but
> discovered no flea's or flea refuse(flea excriment) on any of the
> cats,so It can't be that;&I have started to allow her to spend the
> majority of her time either outside,&/or, I have also given over the
> new extension we had built for my partner to her,so that she has an
> area where she can go away from the central heating,to try and resolve
> the issue(I have turned the central heating off in there,& there is no
> carpet to allow even potential for flea's egg's to hatch& infest any of
> the cats)....but it has made no difference at all to her.If anything,it
> is getting worse!!!:o(
> We have 3Birmans,2Ragdolls & an 18year old pensioner moggie,none of
> whom has suffered from anything remotely similar to this afliction.
> When you look @ the crusts/scabs & feel it by probing,it feels like
> little scabs that she simply cant leave alone because they are
> obviously aggrivating her.I have been combing her regularly every day
> in an attempt to try & stop them spreading & aleviate the itchyness for
> her..& although it is not terrible presently,I am only too aware that
> it casn/will inflame again & spread all over her body as it did
> before.When I do this,she is more than happy to allow me to comb out
> the little scabs as they form so that they don't irritate her into
> sratching herself raw~although it is a stop-Gap,it doesn't answer the
> problem,which is what is wrong with her & how can I best treat her for
> it to stop it coming back?If anyone out there can relate to what I am
> saying and advise me,I would be ever so grateful to you.I really feel
> for her & my usual vet is also my neighbor &she is in Australia for
> 4weeks,so any advice would be more than gratefuly accepted.I would
> rather stick to my own vet if possible,but will take her to any vet if
> I have to, & cant find an answer,but this is just a last ditch attempt
> to try & treat her for it, than take her to someone I don't know.(I am
> agrophobic!).Many thanks to anyone that might be able to help me
> too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
> will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
> opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
> you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
> one..sheelagh

Well, my advice is the advice you said you really don't want -- that is, I
think you need to take her to a vet and do so without delay. It isn't worth
risking her health (and possibly the health of your other cats if it is
contagious) just to avoid changing vets for awhile.

That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a Woods
light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly* contagious,
so you would want to take preventive measures both for yourself and for your
other cats.

MaryL

Lynne
November 4th 06, 10:10 PM
on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:04:18 GMT, "MaryL"
-OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:

> That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a
> Woods light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly*
> contagious, so you would want to take preventive measures both for
> yourself and for your other cats.

I was going to suggest that it might be ringworm as well.

--
Lynne

November 4th 06, 11:36 PM
thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!I was hoping to avoid a
vets surgery that I don't know & they are not [email protected] either,but
having said that,I would far prefer to be safe than sorry-I couldn't
bare for them all to catch it...that would be utterly
devastating,wouldn't it?Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
in the same way that she seems to be.
I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
had for sale too.I believe they all went to one breeder who bought them
all the same day as I did,but I don't know who she was to ask if she
has the same problem as well.I can only hope that mine was the only
casualty!Would you be so good as to let me know how you think it is
possible that my little seal tabby girl picked this infection,as I
would do anything I can to try and do to stop cross infection between
the cats.I have already seperated them utterly including providing her
with her own cat litter too(just in case!).Is there anything else that
I can to do to protect my other cats whilst I await seeing the vet on
monday(I forgot,its sunday tomorrow so I might have a problem finding a
vet open to treat her!)
Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
Regards Sheelagh
MaryL wrote:
> [...]
> > too.This is the 1st time I have ever seen a service like this,so it
> > will be interesting to see if anyone does ever answer your questions.It
> > opens a whole new world for me If it does...hope to hear from some of
> > you soon.Thank you for any assisitance if you can help out on this
> > one..sheelagh
> >

> Well, my advice is the advice you said you really don't want -- that is, I
> think you need to take her to a vet and do so without delay. It isn't worth
> risking her health (and possibly the health of your other cats if it is
> contagious) just to avoid changing vets for awhile.
>
> That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a Woods
> light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly* contagious,
> so you would want to take preventive measures both for yourself and for your

MaryL
November 5th 06, 12:05 AM
> wrote in message
oups.com...
> thank you mary,I know in my heart that you are right & I will do as you
> advise first thing in the morning.No,Ringworm didn't come to mind @ all
> as I have never seen an infestation before...It sounds all rather
> alarming & the very thought of all of the cats suffering the same
> affliction is not a pleasant one at all is it?!
<snip> Is it an easily treatable problem,or is it
> going to be a long-haul process,If you know of course?
> I have never seen a web site like this before & thought that someone
> out there might have at least a better idea of what it might be than I
> did,so I am very grateful to you for such a prompt reply,THANK YOU VERY
> MUCH INDEED Mary.At least I have some idea of what it might be now and
> can take precautions against cross infection with the other cats too
> now.Mind you,because of the problem,she has been fairly issolated from
> the other cats thankfully,so I can only hope that I "might" have caught
> it in time,but If I haven't then so be it-we will see it through to the
> end as I couldn't bare the thought of any of the rest of them suffering
> in the same way that she seems to be.
> I have to be honest when I admit that I think that the breeder knew
> full well that she had this problem because it started after only 2days
> of her being here,& none of the rest of my cats are ill in any way @
> all.I am disappointed that she couldn't be honest enough to tell me
> that there was a problem because I would still have had her,but It
> would have allowed me to get her treated by my own vet @ the right
> time,not to mention the risk that she has left all of my other cats
> open to.Disappointed is the right word,I am not angry,just sorely
> disappointed,and also worride about the other 7Bengali cats that she
> had for sale too.
<snip>
> Thank hyou so much for your input,I grately appreciated it.....
> Regards Sheelagh

Sheelagh, thank you for accepting advice to take your cat to a vet. This
way, you can get a diagnosis and advice on how to proceed. Let's hope it is
not ringworm -- but if it is, the faster you act, the better. And I would
also be suspicious of the breeder, just as you said.

Fortunately, I have never experienced ringworm, so I am working only on what
I have read. It is treatable, but takes constant vigilance while you work
with your cat (and you will probably also receive instructions for cleansing
your home, in the event ringworm is diagnosed). Here are a few sites you
might want to look at before you visit the vet:
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthringworm.htm
http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm
http://ebiz.hibernia.com/animalclinic/ringworm/
http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html

Be sure to call your own doctor if this does turn out to be ringworm because
ringworm is contagious and can be passed from cat to human (or even from
human to cat). Incidentally, there is actually no "worm" -- it is caused by
fungus.

Good luck, and please keep us updated.

MaryL

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
Duffy: http://tinyurl.com/cslwf
Holly: http://tinyurl.com/9t68o

November 5th 06, 01:13 AM
Hi Lynne,
Thank you so much for the advice re:Tiggie the Birman seal tabby
point.It was just the right sort of advice that I needed because I had
no idea what was wrong,only that all was not as it should be...but now
that I have something to go on,I will do all that I can to get her seen
by a vetinary surgeon asap,hopfuly tomorrow(sunday;o(,but if
not,definately on monday.I had no idea what It might be,& now that I
know how contageous ringworm is in both humans and also cats ,I will
alert my Gp to the possible threat as well because I have 4children
here as well as a disabled partner too.I hate to think how much I have
put them @ risk through ignorance,but as they say,it is a lesson well
learnt all be it by the hard way!I am horrified to be honest?!!
I have isolated her in the extension with her own food bowl,litter and
water too,&seperated her bed as well as her blanket in there.As It is a
fungal virus,I am still ignorant as to what to watch out for with
regard to the other cats and the children,so any info on that would be
more than appreciated also,if you know yourself of course?I assume that
washing her bedding will not be enough to rid it of any spores that
might be in them..&that I would be well advised to seperately wash her
bits than mixing a wash with her stuff and the kids bits?I am washing
hands full time now &also being as cautious as possible with regard to
passing it on- If you have any further advice,I will follow it to the
letter as I can assure you that in this instance....Ignorance is not
bliss @ all!!In fact I feel terrible about the fact that I wasn't more
aware,but I suppose you cant know everything,but it would be good to
find out more about it so that I can be more vigilant in the future.I
have learnt this lesson the hard way,but learnt well from it in the
process.
I will be more than happy to keep you posted as I find out exactly what
the problem is and also the extent of the outbreak too,as soon as I
know myself.I assume that a woods light is an implement to see whether
she has it or not?
Please bare with me with regard to using this site-I might make
mistakes in answering correctly,or in the right format as I am brand
new to a Pc and also this program too so it is all a bit trial & error
presently...but I am doing my best to keep up with it.It feels like I
have just tapped into a brand new world that "feels right":o)
I would love to share a few photos with you of Tiggie,but still got to
learn how I might do that without crashing the Pc(I can just picture
the kids holding thier heads in hands nodding in disbelief,ha ha..:o)
Thanks once again & hope to speak to you soon,
Best Wishes,Sheelagh
Lynne wrote:
> on Sat, 04 Nov 2006 22:04:18 GMT, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-LITTER> wrote:
>
> > That said, is it possibly that this is ringworm? A vet could use a
> > Woods light to diagnose quickly. And, of course, ringworm is *highly*
> > contagious, so you would want to take preventive measures both for
> > yourself and for your other cats.
>
> I was going to suggest that it might be ringworm as well.
>
> --
> Lynne

November 5th 06, 01:53 AM
thanks once again Mary for the links to try out before our visit to the
vets,and also for the wonderful slideshow of your super cats,Holly
&Dufy as well..I can see why you are so cat minded now,& they really
are marvelous creatures arn't they?You must be so proud of them-I know
that I would be if I were you!
I am brand new to the Pc and the kids look at me with glee when they
see me tapping away two [email protected] at a time,but hold thier heads in
thier hands when I mention the words"Help me" of course!I never knew
that sites like this existed;I happened to stumble across it when I was
up loading some photos of the cats to be honest,but what a find-A prize
find too...I am elated to find out that there are other cat minded
people out there who are so helpful.I would love to share a few photos
of our feline family to you too,but I have yet to figure out just how
to send you a link so that you can-as soon as I do,I will send you a
few of our lot as well for your laugh of the day...I assure you that
they really are comedians,despite their current predicament...
I am going to alert the Gp too with regard to the possible outbreak of
ringworm as we have 4children here as well as my disabled partner
Paul.I need advice on how to minimise & contain the outbreak,as well as
advice regarding what to do about sending them all to schoool &
college-I will also be only too happy to keep you abreast of how things
develop,as it happens;it is the least I can do after all of your sage
advice.Salutations,leg weaves&plenty of head rubs to your feline family
too by the way!
Best Wishes Sheelagh >'o'<
MaryL wrote:
> [...]
> also be suspicious of the breeder, just as you said.
>
> Fortunately, I have never experienced ringworm, so I am working only on what
> I have read. It is treatable, but takes constant vigilance while you work
> with your cat (and you will probably also receive instructions for cleansing
> your home, in the event ringworm is diagnosed). Here are a few sites you
> might want to look at before you visit the vet:
> http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
> http://www.hdw-inc.com/healthringworm.htm
> http://www.cat-world.com.au/Ringworm.htm
> http://ebiz.hibernia.com/animalclinic/ringworm/
> http://www.manhattancats.com/Articles/ringworm.html
>
> Be sure to call your own doctor if this does turn out to be ringworm because
> ringworm is contagious and can be passed from cat to human (or even from
> human to cat). Incidentally, there is actually no "worm" -- it is caused by

MaryL
November 5th 06, 07:45 AM
> wrote in message
ups.com...
> thanks once again Mary for the links to try out before our visit to the
> vets,and also for the wonderful slideshow of your super cats,Holly
> &Dufy as well..
<snip>
> I am going to alert the Gp too with regard to the possible outbreak of
> ringworm as we have 4children here as well as my disabled partner
> Paul.I need advice on how to minimise & contain the outbreak,as well as
> advice regarding what to do about sending them all to schoool &
> college-I will also be only too happy to keep you abreast of how things
> develop,as it happens;it is the least I can do after all of your sage
> advice.Salutations,leg weaves&plenty of head rubs to your feline family
> too by the way!
> Best Wishes Sheelagh >'o'<

Thanks, Sheelagh, and welcome to the group.

I meant to suggest that you check with your GP *if* this is diagnosed as
ringworm. Why not see the the vet first on Monday before contacting your
doctor? I could have been completely wrong about the possibility of
ringworm (and home I am).

MaryL

meeee
November 5th 06, 11:22 PM
Hi,

I'm a reg. Siamese breeder in Australia and have recently had the same
trouble; getting a new girl in is a risky job and next time I'd advise (no
matter how ethical the breeder seems) that you isolate any new cats from the
others for 2 weeks at least, bathe in antifungal wash and get a full blood
panel and check up done by the vet. I've just had ringworm introduced to my
cat and human family (I have a small number of breeding cats, all my
moggies, my family sharing the house) by an 'ethical' breeder who neglected
to tell me about her ringworm problem, so I can advise you on how to lessen
the damage. I'd also be checking for mites, it doesnt sound to me like flea
allergies but ringworm or mites. Ok now for my treatment plan; isolate all
cats showing ringworm signs. Use a bleach solution to wash down all floors
and walls as much as possible; thoroughly vacuum carpets and upholstery. A
product called 'F10' is the most effective, both to wash your cats, the
floors and also can be used on upholstery and carpets. It wont stain but
check anyway. F10 can also be used as a topical treatment on ringworm
lesions; its the best thing. If you cant get F10 use Malaseb as a washl less
effective but if used regularly does help. A disinfectant called Benzyl
Colonium Chloride (check disinfectant labels) can be used on upholstery and
carpet without staining. Ringworm is spread by 'flakes' of the fungus, so
regular vacuuming/mopping will help you keep it down. Also take the cat
immediately to the vet; he will prescribe an antibiotic called Grisolven or
Griseofulven (same thing) that destroys the cell walls of the ringworm :you
will NEVER get rid of it without this. Be careful with young kittens though
as there is some link to liver damage, however I've had no problem. Just
watch it with cats with liver conditions and check with your vet about use
during pregnancy/lactation/in young kittens. Mostly the ringworm will be
dormant with adult cats (which is why I suggest checking for mites or lice)
but will attack your kittens and any cats with a low immune system. Keep on
top of it with the kittens, as ringworm patches grow back darker until the
next moult, so points can look patchy and affect showing and sale. DO NOT
sell on any kittens until the ringowrm is healed and fur has grown back;
you'll just get yourself a bad reputation, as the breeder who did this to
you just has. For your family, wash all bedding, clothes, table linen etc
and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

November 6th 06, 04:11 AM
http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelaghmadden/OurFelineFamily/photo?authkey=lMo9arMiOEt-WAEFyatf1vjAMUw#4994083858555011090
meeee wrote:
> [...]
> and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
> It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
> dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
> tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
> got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
> head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
> cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
> but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
> normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
> steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
> I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
> kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

November 6th 06, 05:32 AM
AWWWWWWW!!!! What DARLINGS!! Sorry....kitten fever again. They are adorable
with their little white mittens!! I'm trying to focus on red points and
eventually want Balinese as well but that will have to wait until I have a
bigger house!! Here are my babies...
www.pacificsiamese.bravehost.com
and I hope you discover the problem and find a solution to it!! Fingers
crossed its sorted out soon!!

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is
>> neat
>> tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion
>> where I
>> got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
>> head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
>> cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
>> but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
>> normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of
>> these
>> steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills
>> insects
>> I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine
>> kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

November 6th 06, 10:09 AM
Hi,
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE PRACTICAL ADVICE~IT WAS APPRECIATED NO END!
I am a bit concerned that you might not have received the e-mail that I
sent to you regarding the cats here,simply because I cant see it posted
here-did you get it?I am confused because I can see the photos that you
got the photos,but no message to see?!!!very strange indeed...
rather than repeat it all again,I will give you a bit of a basic run
down of what it said,then If you let me know that you didn't receive
it,then I will type it all out again,because you really were so kind to
go to the trouble of typing out nearly a page of instructions on how
to start damage limitation,as you too have been through a similar
outbreak,so I know that you understand how devastating it is to go
through this hassle...& I also wanted to thank you from the bottom of
my heart as well because it was exactly the right sort of info that I
was hoping for;you couldn't have been more helpful if you had tried to
be honest!I needed instructions on how to cope with the potential
outbreak...although my current vet happens to be on holiday in
Australia believe it or not...I have managed to find a vet that is
willing to see all 6cats,but it wont be until tomorrow morning because
in the uk,if you are not registered with that particular vet(which I am
doing in half an hour or so),they have the right to charge you whatever
they want to see your cat,in the form of consultation fee's),& that is
the soonest that she can see them all @ the same time,so that will have
to do.In the meatime,I have started by wiping all of the sheets off all
of our beds,& also the cats beds too;washing all of the floors down
with disinfectant,hoovering with the dyson,then washing the filter
through& the cyclone chamber as well with bleach solution too.I havent
got as far as doing the furniture yet,but it will be done in the next
24hours,even if it turns out to be mites or lice instead of ringworm.
I have also manged to get a double appointment with the Gp,for
precautions sake,&I am trying to follow all of your suggestions to the
letter,as I know that it is good practical advice coming from someone
who has been here before me,& come out of the other side too.It is ever
so reassuring to know that,one,it is treatable,two that you are telling
me how to help myself,having been thorough it,&three,that it can do no
harm to be vigilant.I am keeping my fingers crossed in the hope that
Tiggie has not passed it on to all of the cats because she has in fact
been issolated more or less since she has been here,but not banking on
it.Only time will tell.
I feel a fool for getting caught out by the breeder,but then again,I
was ignorant(which in this case,was not [email protected] all!),but even worse,I
am horrified that she knew that we had other cats here,4kids& also my
partner Paul,is taking immunity building drugs having had a triple
heart by-pass recently,but it still wasn't enough to induce her to
alert me to the fact that there was a problem?!!!I am very cross indeed
to be honest,because I would have still had her,but we could have
protected ourselves,by issolation as you say,& it would have saved a
lot of heart ache too.A hard lesson to learn,but well learnt I assure
you.I have only just started breeding in the last year or so,& I see
that there is loads of stuff that I have to learn still..
I just wish I had known about this site sooner(only been using the Pc
for 6months or so too),there have been so many helpful people to whom I
am truely grateful indeed.As they say,you live & learn - & it ever so
true isn't it?
I will of course keep you up to date with our progress-it is the least
I can do after all of your input & would be good to stay in touch with
you anyway...
Glad you enjoyed the photos of the hooligans as well(human & feline too
of course!)We had a great time with the kittens & found some lovely
homes for them.They all keep in touch with us which is wonderful as it
is super to see how they are getting on now that they have set off on
their real lives with new mummy's & Daddy's.Thanks also for the link so
that we could coo & ahhhh all over your cats too>"o"<..my dad had two
siamese many moons ago when we lived in Kenya,called Ping & Pong(that
was a bit unfair!),& we loved them dearly.In the end they both had a
good ining's & died @ around 13 & 15 years old...they were both seal
point boys & true sweeties(but boy did they "wha").I loved them,but
mother didn't so that was the end of cats until I left home,& I guess I
am making up for it now.
Better go,kids to get to school ect,& appoinments to be made @ the
doctors still.Thanks for all of the advice,it was invaluable,& speak to
you again v.soon to let you know how it's all going-I am so pleased to
know that it is not the end of the world as I first feared...
Best Wishes & Kind Regard's,
Sheelagh
wrote:
> [...]
> > and use an anti fungal and anti bacterial wash instead of fabric softener.
> > It should be available in the supermarket; there is a canesten brand and a
> > dettol brand; both are effective. Topically the best human treatment is neat
> > tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion where I
> > got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on the
> > head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on the
> > cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating it
> > but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
> > normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of these
> > steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills insects
> > I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine to
> > kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

November 6th 06, 03:36 PM
on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:11:12 GMT, "
> wrote:

> http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelaghmadden/OurFelineFamily/photo?authke
> y=lMo9arMiOEt-WAEFyatf1vjAMUw#4994083858555011090

OH MY GOSH, your kitties are GORGEOUS!!! The commentary is adorable, too!
If you were anywhere close to where I live, I'd be at your door to pick one
for myself. :)

I hope you get this ringworm or whatever it is under control very soon and
that none of your other cats contract it. My mom has a 16 week old kitten
that came to her from the shelter with Ringworm. She had it for several
weeks before it was diagonsed. She is now treating the kitten and taking
all the other precautions with cleaning, etc., and so far, her other cat
and her dog are showing no signs. I hope you have the same experience,
Sheelagh.

--
Lynne

November 6th 06, 06:41 PM
Hi Lynne,
Thank you very much indeed for the compliment with regard to the feline
family,it was very nice of you to say so-I agree with you of course,but
then again,I am biassed though lol!And after all of your support last
night,if you did live near to me,you would indeed be welcome to have
one of them because I would know that they would be going to a good
home where their mummy knew her stuff,& they would loved and well cared
for;In fact ,THANKS TO ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT & HELP YESTERDAY,IT WAS
VERY MUCH APPRECIATED INDEED.
We have had a very good year this summer with regard to kittens,& all
of them are now gone & living with their new mummy's and
daddy's,&living the life of rielly too.I always advertise them for
adoption a few days after they are born,which gives me the chance to
get to know thier new family's & them to get to know me too,in the hope
that It makes me far more approachable if they run into difficulites.It
also gives me the excuse to keep in contact with them too,&most of them
remain very good friends so we get to see photos of them regularly,&
news of their latest antics too fo course!An all win situation really
isn't it?All,of them seemed to have settled very nicely & it always
nice to hear from their new family too...
On to news of the ringworm infestation...You were all spot on...We took
all of the mogz to the local vet who agreed to see them & we now have
it confirmed that we do indeed have an outbreak of ringworm.Tiggie was
the source of the outbreak & Lilly is infected too,all of the others
are clear thus far,but all of them will be treated as a precautionary
measure.I have managed to enlist the help of all of the kids & also a
good friend too who have been helping us today to treat the
walls,carpets ,furnishings,everywhere actually.All of the pussy cats
are on antibiotics as well.Lilly & Tiggie have been isolated from the
others in the hope that they wont be affected.I have also calmed down
too..yesterday I was like a cat on hot bricks and you could have
scraped me off the ceiling for worry..I envisaged having to shave every
single cat & the very thought of that was enough to send me into a
flaming rage @ the thought of someone knowingly selling me a breeding
queen that was infected by ringworm,especially knowing that I had
5other cats that could be affected,a disabled partner who is taking
immunity building drugs after a triple by pass operation on his
heart,not to mention 4children too!!!!Very thoughtless,&downright wrong
to leave a cat in that condition,without treatment
We have all been seen by the Gp today who has prescribed derbac for us
all to smother ourselves in(how humiliating!),& the kids have gort an
extra day off school until the lotion is removed the following
day...but the main thing is that the cat that most needed the help,is
now receiving treatment for it thank goodness,So Thanx to you all>"o"<
I feel so much better knowing that something is being done to stop her
suffereing.
I am still a little annoyed that I wasn't warned & havent decided
yet,quite how to handle the situation with regard to the breeder that
sold her to me -But I have no intention of letting it go because of the
severity of the problem & the pain the poor cat has been through,not to
mention the vets bill I am facing for treating 6cats instead of 1-any
sage advice would be gratefuly accepted.I don't believe in cursing,but
I do believe you should face your responsibility's.I can see that there
is plenty for me to learn still,but I will get there in the end.
Plenty of purrs in this house this evening to share with all of
you,with the occasional leg weaving & several head rubs too,so I hope
you can all feel the comforting vibes from them?!!!
Regards to all of you,
sheelagh & tribe(inc feline ones too!!)
Lynne wrote:
> on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 04:11:12 GMT, "
> > wrote:
>
> > http://picasaweb.google.com/sheelaghmadden/OurFelineFamily/photo?authke
> > y=lMo9arMiOEt-WAEFyatf1vjAMUw#4994083858555011090
>
> OH MY GOSH, your kitties are GORGEOUS!!! The commentary is adorable, too!
> If you were anywhere close to where I live, I'd be at your door to pick one
> for myself. :)
>
> I hope you get this ringworm or whatever it is under control very soon and
> that none of your other cats contract it. My mom has a 16 week old kitten
> that came to her from the shelter with Ringworm. She had it for several
> weeks before it was diagonsed. She is now treating the kitten and taking
> all the other precautions with cleaning, etc., and so far, her other cat
> and her dog are showing no signs. I hope you have the same experience,
> Sheelagh.
>
> --
> Lynne

Lynne
November 6th 06, 06:52 PM
on Mon, 06 Nov 2006 18:41:17 GMT, "
> wrote:

> Hi Lynne,
> Thank you very much indeed for the compliment with regard to the
> feline family,it was very nice of you to say so-I agree with you of
> course,but then again,I am biassed though lol!

Oh your bias is well placed. Your kitties are truly lovely!! I want to
snuggle them all!

> On to news of the ringworm infestation <snip> yesterday I was like a
> cat on hot bricks and you
> could have scraped me off the ceiling for worry..

Oh I can just imagine how you were feeling! I'm so glad you are on top
of everything today.

> I am still a little annoyed that I wasn't warned & havent decided
> yet,quite how to handle the situation with regard to the breeder that
> sold her to me -But I have no intention of letting it go because of
> the severity of the problem & the pain the poor cat has been
> through,not to mention the vets bill I am facing for treating 6cats
> instead of 1-any sage advice would be gratefuly accepted.

I would approach the breeder under the assumption that she was not aware
of the ringworm. She may not have been. Hopefully she will at least be
very apologetic, and if she is conscientious, perhaps she will also offer
you some monetary compensation in order to offset the bills you have
incurred and also to protect her reputation. If she is not so
conscientious, she may simply offer to take the cat back for a refund.
I'm sure you would find that as insulting as I would, and so I would let
her know your true feelings if it comes to that.

--
Lynne

meeee
November 6th 06, 11:57 PM
No worries sheelagh, I hope it all works out for you!! Sorry I didnt get
your email but I just mailed you my correct one; you probably emailed my
spam trap sorry!!

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
>> > neat
>> > tea tree oil; kills it stone dead immediately. I only had one lesion
>> > where I
>> > got clawed, and the kids got one each but the tea tree knocked it on
>> > the
>> > head and they've had no more. ABOVE ALL don't use the tea tree oil on
>> > the
>> > cats; it is highly toxic to them. It will be a bit of work eradicating
>> > it
>> > but its not as bad as you think!! Just staying on top of hygiene as you
>> > normally would and keeping their meds going for the 6 weeks. Most of
>> > these
>> > steps will also work to eradicate lice and mites; Malaseb also kills
>> > insects
>> > I think; the vet will advise. Just use high heat on the washing machine
>> > kill any eggs in bedding. Best of luck~!!

November 7th 06, 12:02 AM
Hi Sheelagh I'll give you the address of the forum I told you about; get in
touch with them as they will know what you can do re. complaining to your
assoc. about this. You definitely should report as this breeder is obviously
not sticking to the ethical agreement and needs looking into. That is a very
bad sign that she didnt treat the cat at all, or get it to a vet, and tried
to pass it off as an allergy. We got ours from someone bringing infected
cats to a show and not telling anyone; now all the breeders at the show have
ringworm so you see it might not just be you who is affected. Anyway here is
the address.
http://www.hubbellbubbell.co.uk/hubbellforum/

Give them a go, they are all lovely people and very helpful.

ups.com...