PDA

View Full Version : Vaccine Associated Sarcomas

S N
November 5th 06, 12:17 PM
Did you ever have a cat that got VAS?
(Vaccine-Associated Sarcomas)

I have heard of cats who got it......and because of this we do not get
our cats the leukemia & rabies vaccination, neither of which is required
where we live. Is ie required where you live?

This is from the web site below:
"A vaccine-associated sarcoma (VAS) is a type of malignant tumor found
in cats that has been linked to certain vaccines. VAS has become a
concern for veterinarians and cat owners alike and has resulted in
changes in recommended vaccine protocols. These tumors have been most
commonly associated with rabies and feline leukemia virus vaccines."

Vaccine-associated sarcoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Address:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

Spot
November 5th 06, 02:19 PM
I have a cat that we had to have her leg amputated after her 3 year rabies
shot. She hasn't had any vaccines since that time. I vaccinate my other
cats and dogs but not her. The vet said about 2 in 1000 cats are likely to
have tumors from vaccines and if they get one they can get another.

Celeste

"S N" > wrote in message
> Did you ever have a cat that got VAS?
> (Vaccine-Associated Sarcomas)
>
> I have heard of cats who got it......and because of this we do not get
> our cats the leukemia & rabies vaccination, neither of which is required
> where we live. Is ie required where you live?
>
> This is from the web site below:
> "A vaccine-associated sarcoma (VAS) is a type of malignant tumor found
> in cats that has been linked to certain vaccines. VAS has become a
> concern for veterinarians and cat owners alike and has resulted in
> changes in recommended vaccine protocols. These tumors have been most
> commonly associated with rabies and feline leukemia virus vaccines."
>
> Vaccine-associated sarcoma - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
> Address:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccine-associated_sarcoma

Buddy's Mom
November 5th 06, 05:40 PM
I had a cat who had a tumor near her shoulder where her shots were
given. We had it surgically removed several times, but we eventually
had to have her put down at age 14.

We recently had some discussion on this topic, if you google the group.

I will not give another cat these vaccinations. My cats are indoor
anyway.