PDA

View Full Version : Update on "bald belly syndrome"

Edna Pearl
November 6th 06, 07:51 PM
It's been a month since I posted that my 9yo dsh Ted was diagnosed with bald
belly syndrome, which is basically feline OCD -- licking the hair off his
hind legs and belly. He was on Valium for two weeks, then had a follow-up
visit with the vet. The vet said the hair on his tummy was all the same
length, indicating that he had stopped licking it off. The vet reduced his
Valium dosage to two times a week, so I give Ted a pill whenever he gets
into into one of his skittish moods, about two times a week. He seems to
have adjusted quite well to being stoned occasionally :-)

I still catch Ted licking the affected area -- when I do I just distract him
with a gentle "no" and some petting. (He knows what "no" means, unlike his
sister Betty :-) His tummy still shows a lot of skin through the fur, but I
can't tell whether it's all the same length -- my eyesight is not very
acute. Would you expect his hair to have grown back? I'm trying to
remember my experiences with spaying surgeries -- it takes more than a month
for the tummy hair to grow back all the way, doesn't it?

I thought I'd post about this again, in any event, to see if there's anybody
here who has any experiences to share about having a cat with bald belly
syndrome.

Thanks,
ep

Spot
November 6th 06, 10:59 PM
There is also a product called Granicks Bitter Apple that is made for just
this purpose. You spray it on the area "provided it's not open and raw" and
it taste bad so they don't lick it. I've used it with my dogs and even my
moms cat.

You can find it at Petco, or probably even a local feed store.

Celeste

"Edna Pearl" > wrote in message
> It's been a month since I posted that my 9yo dsh Ted was diagnosed with
> bald belly syndrome, which is basically feline OCD -- licking the hair off
> his hind legs and belly. He was on Valium for two weeks, then had a
> follow-up visit with the vet. The vet said the hair on his tummy was all
> the same length, indicating that he had stopped licking it off. The vet
> reduced his Valium dosage to two times a week, so I give Ted a pill
> whenever he gets into into one of his skittish moods, about two times a
> week. He seems to have adjusted quite well to being stoned occasionally
> :-)
>
> I still catch Ted licking the affected area -- when I do I just distract
> him with a gentle "no" and some petting. (He knows what "no" means,
> unlike his sister Betty :-) His tummy still shows a lot of skin through
> the fur, but I can't tell whether it's all the same length -- my eyesight
> is not very acute. Would you expect his hair to have grown back? I'm
> trying to remember my experiences with spaying surgeries -- it takes more
> than a month for the tummy hair to grow back all the way, doesn't it?
>
> I thought I'd post about this again, in any event, to see if there's
> anybody here who has any experiences to share about having a cat with bald
> belly syndrome.
>
> Thanks,
> ep

Edna Pearl
November 7th 06, 07:19 PM
Thanks. Tips like this are exactly what I'm hoping for when I post to a
newsgroup like this. I never heard of Granicks Bitter Apple. If Ted keeps
licking, I'll look for it.

ep

news:[email protected]