PDA

View Full Version : Another Trouble Update

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 7th 06, 12:40 AM
Hi guys. Sorry if I am posting too much but I love to hear what you all have
to say. It has been a month since Trouble's blockage and on Friday he went
in for a full physical. His x-ray showed an absolutely perfect bladder with
no stones and when they passed the catheter for a urinalysis, there was no
resistance whatsoever, no inflammation or infection. The vet said that if he
did not know that this cat was ever blocked he would say that he was perfect.
At the time, he actually said he was beginning to wonder if Trouble was ever
blocked at all. I spoke with the vet again today and he told me that the
urinalysis came back and showed that Trouble's ph level is 7. Not good, but
not bad. He said that we have to get that number down. There are still some
crystals in the urine, but no blood or proteins were present. Thing is,
Trouble will not eat any of the food that is recommended to bring the ph
level down. I just tried the 4th brand with no luck (I have tried Hills s/d,
Hills c/d, Purina UR and Friskies Special Diet). He is eating the cd dry
with no problem, but that is obviously not cutting it.

My questions are, is the ph level of 7 dangerous? Is he more at risk for
another blockage? Do "normal" cats have some crystals in their urine? Any
suggestions for bringing down his ph level other than using food?

Thanks in advance everyone and I look forward to hearing from you!

dgk
November 8th 06, 04:25 PM
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 00:40:50 GMT, "MoMo via CatKB.com" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Hi guys. Sorry if I am posting too much but I love to hear what you all have
>to say. It has been a month since Trouble's blockage and on Friday he went
>in for a full physical. His x-ray showed an absolutely perfect bladder with
>no stones and when they passed the catheter for a urinalysis, there was no
>resistance whatsoever, no inflammation or infection. The vet said that if he
>did not know that this cat was ever blocked he would say that he was perfect.
>At the time, he actually said he was beginning to wonder if Trouble was ever
>blocked at all. I spoke with the vet again today and he told me that the
>urinalysis came back and showed that Trouble's ph level is 7. Not good, but
>not bad. He said that we have to get that number down. There are still some
>crystals in the urine, but no blood or proteins were present. Thing is,
>Trouble will not eat any of the food that is recommended to bring the ph
>level down. I just tried the 4th brand with no luck (I have tried Hills s/d,
>Hills c/d, Purina UR and Friskies Special Diet). He is eating the cd dry
>with no problem, but that is obviously not cutting it.
>
>My questions are, is the ph level of 7 dangerous? Is he more at risk for
>another blockage? Do "normal" cats have some crystals in their urine? Any
>suggestions for bringing down his ph level other than using food?
>
>Thanks in advance everyone and I look forward to hearing from you!

A pH of 7 is neutral, neither acid or basic. Lower is acidic, higher
is basic as I recall. I googled and found this: "Most normal dogs and
cats have a urine pH of 5.5 to 7.0; however, some normal pets may have
higher or lower values."

I'm sure others will chime in on specific cat situations, but it
doesn't seem overly bad.

MoMo via CatKB.com
November 8th 06, 10:06 PM
Thank you dgk for responding. I would love to get his ph in the low 6's if
that is possible, I just need to find a way to do it without the food. The
other night, he actually refused to come into the kitchen when I had put out
the food, lol. He stood in the doorway just looking at me like "you have got
to be kidding me". What personalities they have on them, lol. Now, my
other cat who does not have a urinary problem, is lapping the food up. Go
figure :)