PDA

View Full Version : Precious cat just had kitties NEED ADVICE

mljack04
November 7th 06, 04:10 AM
Our lil darling just had kittens starting at about 10 this morning it is 10
this evening and number 7 just arrived. We know when she is about to deliver
cause she meows for us and of course we go running. What we are not sure
about it is how long do kittens breast feed. And when do their eyes open. And
how do we know when she has had them all, we thought we were done at 6 and
boys did she surprise us. They are all alive breathing and feeding.
We have them all going to good homes of family members, so we are all excited.
Also, when do we start with regular food for them. We are kitten dummies. We
rescued out lil angel quite some time ago and was told she had been taken
care of and would not be able to have kittens. I thought she was looking a
lil fatigue, the word for that was pregnant. So we checked the date that she
snuck out and the dear Husband has taken off work to make sure she is OK and
everything is going well. She is his pride and joy.

And help would be greatly appreciated I think if he had his way we would just
keep them all, but he has gona overboard already. He has them in a NEW bed
with NEW towels etc. But they sure are cute.
Thank you in advance!

Judy
November 7th 06, 04:55 AM
"mljack04" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Our lil darling just had kittens starting at about 10 this morning it is
> 10
> this evening and number 7 just arrived. We know when she is about to
> deliver
> cause she meows for us and of course we go running. What we are not sure
> about it is how long do kittens breast feed. And when do their eyes open.
> And
> how do we know when she has had them all, we thought we were done at 6 and
> boys did she surprise us. They are all alive breathing and feeding.
> We have them all going to good homes of family members, so we are all
> excited.
> Also, when do we start with regular food for them. We are kitten dummies.
> We
> rescued out lil angel quite some time ago and was told she had been taken
> care of and would not be able to have kittens. I thought she was looking a
> lil fatigue, the word for that was pregnant. So we checked the date that
> she
> snuck out and the dear Husband has taken off work to make sure she is OK
> and
> everything is going well. She is his pride and joy.
>
> And help would be greatly appreciated I think if he had his way we would
> just
> keep them all, but he has gona overboard already. He has them in a NEW bed
> with NEW towels etc. But they sure are cute.
> Thank you in advance!

Google is your friend!! :c)

mljack04
November 7th 06, 07:04 AM
Ummmm thanks Judy I think but after going to yahoo and google everyone has a
different opinion and I thought someone on here might have recently had the
experience and could give me a quick shout out. Some vets say this some vets
say that. Yes google and yahoo say all of those but I am looking for
something a little more specific which is how I got to this site.

Judy wrote:
>> Our lil darling just had kittens starting at about 10 this morning it is
>> 10
>[quoted text clipped - 22 lines]
>> with NEW towels etc. But they sure are cute.
>> Thank you in advance!
>
>Google is your friend!! :c)

MaryL
November 7th 06, 10:03 AM
"Judy" > wrote in message

> "mljack04" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> Our lil darling just had kittens starting at about 10 this morning it is
>> 10
>> this evening and number 7 just arrived. We know when she is about to
>> deliver
>> cause she meows for us and of course we go running. What we are not sure
>> about it is how long do kittens breast feed. And when do their eyes open.
>> And
>> how do we know when she has had them all, we thought we were done at 6
>> and
>> boys did she surprise us. They are all alive breathing and feeding.
>> We have them all going to good homes of family members, so we are all
>> excited.
>> Also, when do we start with regular food for them. We are kitten dummies.
>> We
>> rescued out lil angel quite some time ago and was told she had been taken
>> care of and would not be able to have kittens. I thought she was looking
>> lil fatigue, the word for that was pregnant. So we checked the date that
>> she
>> snuck out and the dear Husband has taken off work to make sure she is OK
>> and
>> everything is going well. She is his pride and joy.
>>
>> And help would be greatly appreciated I think if he had his way we would
>> just
>> keep them all, but he has gona overboard already. He has them in a NEW
>> bed
>> with NEW towels etc. But they sure are cute.
>> Thank you in advance!
>
> Google is your friend!! :c)

This is a newsgroup where people should be able to come for advice. "Google
is your friend" is more appropriate for one of the tekkie newsgroups.
Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on this one because I have always
adopted adult cats and don't have any experience with kittens, but I would
hate to see people turned away with that type of snide remark.

MaryL

Wendy
November 7th 06, 12:25 PM
"mljack04" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> Our lil darling just had kittens starting at about 10 this morning it is
> 10
> this evening and number 7 just arrived. We know when she is about to
> deliver
> cause she meows for us and of course we go running. What we are not sure
> about it is how long do kittens breast feed. And when do their eyes open.
> And
> how do we know when she has had them all, we thought we were done at 6 and
> boys did she surprise us. They are all alive breathing and feeding.
> We have them all going to good homes of family members, so we are all
> excited.
> Also, when do we start with regular food for them. We are kitten dummies.
> We
> rescued out lil angel quite some time ago and was told she had been taken
> care of and would not be able to have kittens. I thought she was looking a
> lil fatigue, the word for that was pregnant. So we checked the date that
> she
> snuck out and the dear Husband has taken off work to make sure she is OK
> and
> everything is going well. She is his pride and joy.
>
> And help would be greatly appreciated I think if he had his way we would
> just
> keep them all, but he has gona overboard already. He has them in a NEW bed
> with NEW towels etc. But they sure are cute.
> Thank you in advance!

This probably isn't her first litter so she should know what she's doing.
More than likely she's done with 7 but there is an outside chance there are
more. She should be back to a pretty normal activity level - grooming
herself, eating and drinking, cleaning up and nursing her babies. If she
isn't taking proper care of herself call the vet. It is normal that she have
some bloody discharge for a number of days after the birth. If it is
excessive call the vet. Were you able to check to make sure she delivered a
placenta for each kitten?

Give her a nice, quiet, clean place to nurse her babies. She should do her
best to clean up after herself but the towels will still get blood stained
so don't use the good ones. She should let you change the towels if they get
really gross. I used to put an old receiving blanket on top of the towels to
catch the worst of it so sometimes I just had to change that. You want to
keep the disruption of the litter to a minimum but still keep their area
clean.

Feed mom kitten food. Feed her wet food as well as leaving dry available all
the time. Also have plenty of water available and of course her litter box.
Nursing this many kittens is going to take a lot out of her so buy quality
food.

The kitten's eyes should be opening around 10 days - 2 weeks or so. If it
goes much past that call the vet.

Mom will start weaning them sometime around 4 - 6 weeks. With 7 it will
probably be sooner than later but there is no hard rule. She'll wean them
when they are ready. If she seems to be having trouble feeding this many you
can supplement with KMR (kitten milk replacer available at places like Pet
Smart). Before going ahead and doing that call the vet. Bottle feeding
kittens is a little tricky. If the kitten aspirates any formula it can
develop pneumonia and die so don't do it without instructions. The vet would
be able to cut the hole in the nipple to the proper size too as they don't
have holes in them when you buy them in the store.

Mom will also show them how to use the litter box. Have a box that is low
enough for a 4-5 week old kitten to climb into. Mom will clean up after them
until they pass Litter Box 101. If they are walking (not just toddling) and
able to get into the box, you can take each kitten and gently scratch their
front paws in the litter. They should figure out the rest pretty quickly.

You should be able to handle the kittens (just not excessively or you'll
p*ss off mom). Wash your hands before doing so.

http://www.21cats.org/kitten.html
click on kitten development

Once the kittens are eating on their own, and pretty much weaned, (probably
by 8 weeks) separate mom to let her dry up and then get her spayed ASAP.
Hopefully she'll be able to maintain a healthy weight nursing this many.
This is going to take a lot out of her and not something you ever want to
put her through again.

Please make sure that whoever adopts the kittens can be trusted to get them
spayed/neutered and not let them have more kittens. There are far too many
kittens struggling outside to stay alive to have more when it can and should
be avoided. If money is an issue have them google for low cost spay/neuter
and they can find what's available in your area. I'd provide some links but
I don't know where you are. Please let them stay together as a litter until
they are at least 8 weeks old if not a little older. They learn important
social skills from one another and will be better behaved cats if they are
left together long enough. Many breeders don't adopt their cats out until 12
weeks.

They will need their first shots at 8 weeks. Don't let them go longer than
that. I've seen panleukopenia and it isn't something you want to risk.

I can't stress how important it is to get them neutered. I volunteer for a
rescue groups and spend all year gathering up strays from where they are
trying to scrape out an existence outside. They eat garbage, get killed by
cars, raccoons, fox, people, get poisoned, get abused by demon spawn
children who think it's sport to torment them. We're having a race with a
raccoon at the moment to see who can gather up the kittens first. This is
right behind a restaurant in a suburban shopping center not out in the
sticks. Who would figure they have a resident raccoon - but they do and
he's been seen dragging off the little kittens. It's a horrible existence
and even if we were able to gather up all of them there aren't enough homes
to go around. For every kitten born to someone's pet and placed in a home
there is one less home for the ones already on this earth struggling to
live. <stepping off my soapbox>

I hope all goes well with your family. If you see any of them seeming to be
lethargic or 'off' please consult the vet.

mljack04 via CatKB.com
November 7th 06, 07:20 PM
Thank you so much. I believe this is her first litter when we got her she was
not much more than a kitty herself. We are getting her spayed asap!!!! And we
are giving them as possible Xmas gifts. SO we will get them their first shots
as part of the gift. We did end up with 8 kittens but momma is doing very
well and eating properly.
I think I am as tired as her. She loves me and my husband coming in and
petting her and scratching her and when we go near the kitties she just rolls
over and has no problem with us.
Her mother instinct is great when a towel gets soiled she herself wads it up
and pushes it to the side then we replace it.

Thank you so much for your input and concern.

Wendy wrote:
> [...]
>cars, raccoons, fox, people, get poisoned, get abused by demon spawn
>children who think it's sport to torment them. We're having a race with a
>raccoon at the moment to see who can gather up the kittens first. This is
>right behind a restaurant in a suburban shopping center not out in the
>sticks. Who would figure they have a resident raccoon - but they do and
>he's been seen dragging off the little kittens. It's a horrible existence
>and even if we were able to gather up all of them there aren't enough homes
>to go around. For every kitten born to someone's pet and placed in a home
>there is one less home for the ones already on this earth struggling to
>live. <stepping off my soapbox>
>
>I hope all goes well with your family. If you see any of them seeming to be
>lethargic or 'off' please consult the vet.

meeee
November 7th 06, 10:43 PM
Hi, sounds like you are in for some fun!! Just a note; be Super careful with
giving them as Christmas gifts. NEVER give a surprise kitten fro
christmas...ie. make sure if you're giving it to a child that the child's
parents know and are fully aware of what they will need/need to do to care
for her/spayinbg costs.I know you probably know this, and aren't stupid :)
Christmas is just a danger time as something like 80 % of 'christmas gift'
kittens are dumped after christmas. Make sure you stress to the recipients
that if they have ANY trouble whatsoever to give you the opportunity to take
the kitten back instead of dumping. The last thing you want is for your
carefully raised little babies to get dumped and die as a result of a simple
but frustrating problem such as inappropriate piddling!! Keep in touch with
the new owner, and the minute they start having any problem, come and ask
us, there are plenty here who would be glad to help!! All the best!! And
keep in touch :)
"mljack04 via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> [...]
>>cars, raccoons, fox, people, get poisoned, get abused by demon spawn
>>children who think it's sport to torment them. We're having a race with a
>>raccoon at the moment to see who can gather up the kittens first. This is
>>right behind a restaurant in a suburban shopping center not out in the
>>sticks. Who would figure they have a resident raccoon - but they do and
>>he's been seen dragging off the little kittens. It's a horrible existence
>>and even if we were able to gather up all of them there aren't enough
>>homes
>>to go around. For every kitten born to someone's pet and placed in a home
>>there is one less home for the ones already on this earth struggling to
>>live. <stepping off my soapbox>
>>
>>I hope all goes well with your family. If you see any of them seeming to
>>be
>>lethargic or 'off' please consult the vet.

November 7th 06, 10:44 PM
> [...]
> cars, raccoons, fox, people, get poisoned, get abused by demon spawn
> children who think it's sport to torment them. We're having a race with a
> raccoon at the moment to see who can gather up the kittens first. This is
> right behind a restaurant in a suburban shopping center not out in the
> sticks. Who would figure they have a resident raccoon - but they do and
> he's been seen dragging off the little kittens. It's a horrible existence
> and even if we were able to gather up all of them there aren't enough
> homes to go around. For every kitten born to someone's pet and placed in a
> home there is one less home for the ones already on this earth struggling
> to live. <stepping off my soapbox>
>
> I hope all goes well with your family. If you see any of them seeming to
> be lethargic or 'off' please consult the vet.

Wonderful letter Wendy....exactly what was needed :) Thanks!

mljack04 via CatKB.com
November 8th 06, 01:14 AM
Thank you. The people I am passing them on to are our neighbors actually so
they will have a play day. We all live around each other. I am giving one to
my father in law who is retired and needs a lil companion. He is ready for
one. Thank you and I really do not think they will be ready by christmas
anyhow.
Thanks again!

meeee wrote:
>Hi, sounds like you are in for some fun!! Just a note; be Super careful with
>giving them as Christmas gifts. NEVER give a surprise kitten fro
>christmas...ie. make sure if you're giving it to a child that the child's
>parents know and are fully aware of what they will need/need to do to care
>for her/spayinbg costs.I know you probably know this, and aren't stupid :)
>Christmas is just a danger time as something like 80 % of 'christmas gift'
>kittens are dumped after christmas. Make sure you stress to the recipients
>that if they have ANY trouble whatsoever to give you the opportunity to take
>the kitten back instead of dumping. The last thing you want is for your
>carefully raised little babies to get dumped and die as a result of a simple
>but frustrating problem such as inappropriate piddling!! Keep in touch with
>the new owner, and the minute they start having any problem, come and ask
>us, there are plenty here who would be glad to help!! All the best!! And
>keep in touch :)
>> Thank you so much. I believe this is her first litter when we got her she
>> was
>[quoted text clipped - 125 lines]

meeee
November 8th 06, 10:51 PM
That is lovely; it sounds like you have it all worked out! I hope you have a
wonderful time raising your kitties and watching them grow into big cats!!
We're all here if you need anything :) Best wishes!!