PDA

View Full Version : Update on cat pooping in house


Deborah Trujillo
November 7th 06, 03:01 PM
My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
new box.

I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
location. Maybe they'll be reunited.

This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
I don't have to do this alone.

We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.

I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
think is best for all concerned.

cybercat
November 7th 06, 05:56 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
...
> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
> I
> had loved the cat so much.

Umm, right. Your husband married the right woman, that's for sure.

As for Tumbleweed, not everyone can live with inappropriate elimination,
it's
really tough. He will probably never find a permanent home, but hopefully
the
"no-kill" shelter really IS no-kill and lasts, and he can live out his days
there.
It is very sad, but sometimes life is.

Wendy
November 7th 06, 06:01 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
...
> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
> I
> had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
> treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought
> a
> new box.
>
> I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's
> no-kill
> and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
> separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
> staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
> location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>
> This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me
> so
> I don't have to do this alone.
>
> We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>
> I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
> think is best for all concerned.
>

You're doing the right thing to take this cat back. Please don't adopt
another one. They can have health issues just like anyone. They need
patience and someone who is willing to look for the solution not someone so
quick to throw in the towel.


W

Debbie
November 7th 06, 06:11 PM
You didn't read my post. I am only making this decision because of my
husband's allergies. I made a mistake in adopting this cat in the
first place because I thought my husband could live with the cat as
long as brushed him frequently - however, that hasn't worked.. My
husband and I went together to pick him out.

Had it not been for my husband's allergies I would not be making this
decision. As for the inappropriate elimination, that is something I
know will pass. I've dealt with it in the past with other cats and was
able to work things out and could have worked this out as well. I am
sure that this came about from something that was going on that was
bothering him or maybe he was getting uncomfortable from his diarrhea
and was associating the box with it.

And don't worry, I DON'T plan to adopt again as long as my husband is
alive since it's obvious he is allergic to cats. I will probably
volunteer my time in cat shelters instead or make myself available to
look in on other people's cats in their homes in this neighborhood
(we're in an age-restricted neighborhood).



Wendy wrote:
> "Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
> ...
> > My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> > up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
> > I
> > had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
> > treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought
> > a
> > new box.
> >
> > I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's
> > no-kill
> > and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
> > separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
> > staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
> > location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
> >
> > This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me
> > so
> > I don't have to do this alone.
> >
> > We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
> >
> > I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
> > think is best for all concerned.
> >
>
> You're doing the right thing to take this cat back. Please don't adopt
> another one. They can have health issues just like anyone. They need
> patience and someone who is willing to look for the solution not someone so
> quick to throw in the towel.
>
>
> W

Debbie
November 7th 06, 06:14 PM
I am sure the inappropriate elimination will pass. He's had diarrhea
for some time now (partially resulting from antibiotics he's been on)
and may have been associating the box with the discomfort from his
diarrhea. He also might not have liked the cat litter I was using (I'd
never tried this kind before). I have dealt with this in the past with
other cats and it did pass.

Were it not for my husband's allergies I would be trying to work things
out here.


cybercat wrote:
> "Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
> ...
> > My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> > up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
> > I
> > had loved the cat so much.
>
> Umm, right. Your husband married the right woman, that's for sure.
>
> As for Tumbleweed, not everyone can live with inappropriate elimination,
> it's
> really tough. He will probably never find a permanent home, but hopefully
> the
> "no-kill" shelter really IS no-kill and lasts, and he can live out his days
> there.
> It is very sad, but sometimes life is.

Debbie
November 7th 06, 06:31 PM
I would like to add Wendy: Where were you when I posted back in
September my concerns that Tumbleweed wouldn't eat or more recently
when I wanted some input on how to deal with his pooping outside the
box?

Yes, I did deal with the latter issue before in another cat and learned
it was something as simple as the fact that she didn't like the brand
of cat little I had bought (although it took a while to figure this
out) so I didn't buy that brand anymore. I still haven't figured out
what caused this although I've considered many possibilities - since it
came on suddenly last Saturday.

I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
past on how to deal with these issues.



Wendy wrote:
> "Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
> ...
> > My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> > up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because
> > I
> > had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
> > treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought
> > a
> > new box.
> >
> > I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's
> > no-kill
> > and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
> > separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
> > staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
> > location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
> >
> > This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me
> > so
> > I don't have to do this alone.
> >
> > We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
> >
> > I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
> > think is best for all concerned.
> >
>
> You're doing the right thing to take this cat back. Please don't adopt
> another one. They can have health issues just like anyone. They need
> patience and someone who is willing to look for the solution not someone so
> quick to throw in the towel.
>
>
> W

cybercat
November 7th 06, 06:44 PM
"Debbie" > wrote
>
> I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
> respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
> past on how to deal with these issues.
>

Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.

What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
of flamey reactions.

cybercat
November 7th 06, 06:46 PM
"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> You didn't read my post. I am only making this decision because of my
> husband's allergies. I made a mistake in adopting this cat in the
> first place because I thought my husband could live with the cat as
> long as brushed him frequently - however, that hasn't worked.. My
> husband and I went together to pick him out.

I am allergic to cats and I live with two. I sleep with one. One word
for your charming hubby: CLARITIN. There are others, too, that
might work even better.

cybercat
November 7th 06, 06:48 PM
"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I am sure the inappropriate elimination will pass. He's had diarrhea
> for some time now (partially resulting from antibiotics he's been on)
> and may have been associating the box with the discomfort from his
> diarrhea. He also might not have liked the cat litter I was using (I'd
> never tried this kind before). I have dealt with this in the past with
> other cats and it did pass.
>
> Were it not for my husband's allergies I would be trying to work things
> out here.
>

Debbie---get him some Claritin! The generic is actually much cheaper,
it is called Loratidine and Walmart, Kroger, etc. all sell it in 10 mg
caps for about 1/4 the price of Claritin.

If what you are saying is true and your husband is not just using this
as an excuse to unload a poopy cat, they you don't have to get rid
of little Tumbleweed. I am allergic and it works GREAT!

Debbie
November 7th 06, 07:01 PM
Not everybody's allergies are the same. He DOES take claritin.



cybercat wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > You didn't read my post. I am only making this decision because of my
> > husband's allergies. I made a mistake in adopting this cat in the
> > first place because I thought my husband could live with the cat as
> > long as brushed him frequently - however, that hasn't worked.. My
> > husband and I went together to pick him out.
>
> I am allergic to cats and I live with two. I sleep with one. One word
> for your charming hubby: CLARITIN. There are others, too, that
> might work even better.

Debbie
November 7th 06, 07:08 PM
Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
because of his health issues.

One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
husband's emphysema.

Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
together.

I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.




cybercat wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote
> >
> > I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
> > respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
> > past on how to deal with these issues.
> >
>
> Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
> summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.
>
> What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
> being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
> have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
> know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
> of flamey reactions.

cybercat
November 7th 06, 07:26 PM
"Debbie" > wrote
>
> I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
> am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
> as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.


Well, I am sorry for you and Tumbleweed. You know your husband, so
I won't bother speculating about his allergies or his motives in this.

GWB
November 7th 06, 08:45 PM
Couldn't he be an outdoor cat?
Beats the **** out of a shelter.

Wendy
November 7th 06, 09:10 PM
That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
at his home because of the allergy excuse.


"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
> because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
> because of his health issues.
>
> One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
> years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
> the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
> husband's emphysema.
>
> Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
> Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
> work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
> someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
> together.
>
> I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
> am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
> as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.
>
>
>
>
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Debbie" > wrote
>> >
>> > I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
>> > respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
>> > past on how to deal with these issues.
>> >
>>
>> Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
>> summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.
>>
>> What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
>> being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
>> have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
>> know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
>> of flamey reactions.
>

Debbie
November 7th 06, 09:10 PM
Read this URL and you will see why I don't like to let cats out:
http://www.pet-abuse.com/cases/21/IN/US/1



GWB wrote:
> Couldn't he be an outdoor cat?
> Beats the **** out of a shelter.

Debbie
November 7th 06, 09:35 PM
My husband takes medication for his allergies but he was still
suffering. There were days when he felt like he had cat hairs under
his eyelids.

I did not know how much until this morning. He knew I loved the cat
and had liked the cat himself. Like I said before everyone's allergies
are different. You are not in our situation and have no business
criticizing.

Maybe you should ask you husband how he feels. I have a feeling he is
suffering silently so you can have the cats in the house like mine did.


Wendy wrote:
> That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
> just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
> were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
> are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
> all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
> at his home because of the allergy excuse.
>
>
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
> > because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
> > because of his health issues.
> >
> > One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
> > years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
> > the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
> > husband's emphysema.
> >
> > Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
> > Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
> > work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
> > someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
> > together.
> >
> > I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
> > am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
> > as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >> "Debbie" > wrote
> >> >
> >> > I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
> >> > respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
> >> > past on how to deal with these issues.
> >> >
> >>
> >> Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
> >> summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.
> >>
> >> What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
> >> being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
> >> have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
> >> know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
> >> of flamey reactions.
> >

Buddy's Mom
November 7th 06, 09:40 PM
I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
"throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.


Wendy wrote:
> That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
> just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
> were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
> are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
> all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
> at his home because of the allergy excuse.
>
>
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
> > because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
> > because of his health issues.
> >
> > One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
> > years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
> > the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
> > husband's emphysema.
> >
> > Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
> > Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
> > work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
> > someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
> > together.
> >
> > I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
> > am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
> > as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >> "Debbie" > wrote
> >> >
> >> > I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
> >> > respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
> >> > past on how to deal with these issues.
> >> >
> >>
> >> Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
> >> summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.
> >>
> >> What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
> >> being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
> >> have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
> >> know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
> >> of flamey reactions.
> >

Debbie
November 7th 06, 09:47 PM
I'm not even going to waste my time with a reply to this. I said
before everyone's allergies are different. Maybe you'll end up with
chronic bronchitus like my co-worker did when she didn't want to give
up her cat despite her allergies.

I had planned to bring the cat home and try to work with him on the
pooping issue until my husband told me how bad his allergies had
gotten. I am upset that he never communicated this before. This is
NOT just an excuse I am using. I used to have cat allergies myself but
still lived with cats but my allergies weren't the same as my
husband's. He was taking Claritin so he could live with the cat but
still suffered.



Buddy's Mom wrote:
> I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
> Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
> more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
> allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
> "throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.
>
>
> Wendy wrote:
> > That's the point. There are so many homes that use the allergy excuse it
> > just plain gets old. My husband recently was diagnosed with allergies. They
> > were so bad the doctor told him he had COPD. He's on meds and the symptoms
> > are gone. The only thing he's allergic to is our cats. We still have them -
> > all three of them and my fosters and a relative's cat who is here instead of
> > at his home because of the allergy excuse.
> >
> >
> > "Debbie" > wrote in message
> > oups.com...
> > > Our house is not the only house that has ever given an animal up
> > > because of allergies. Like I said before, we are NOT giving him up
> > > because of his health issues.
> > >
> > > One of my co-workers who loves cats had to give up a cat she had for
> > > years because her allergies developed into chronic bronchitus. One of
> > > the assistants at the vets had to give up a bird because of her
> > > husband's emphysema.
> > >
> > > Believe me, I have tried to make this work and regret my mistake here.
> > > Tumbleweed was left alone in the house during the day because we both
> > > work and was not happy about that. He needs to be in a home where
> > > someone can be with him. I am hoping he and his brother can be adopted
> > > together.
> > >
> > > I thought Tumbleweed had a home too, and this is not an easy decision I
> > > am making. As long as my husband is alive I will not adopt another pet
> > > as I don't like to put myself or the pets through this type of thing.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > cybercat wrote:
> > >> "Debbie" > wrote
> > >> >
> > >> > I don't appreciate your waiting until I make a decision like this to
> > >> > respond and criticize when you never offered any advice to me on the
> > >> > past on how to deal with these issues.
> > >> >
> > >>
> > >> Nevertheless, she is right. You shouldn't adopt another cat if you can't
> > >> summon the dedication to see it through problems like this.
> > >>
> > >> What kills me and others who get upset when we hear about cats
> > >> being returned to shelters is this: they are emotional creatures, and
> > >> have been through a lot. Tumbleweed thought he had a home, you
> > >> know? I am not flaming you. But this, for sure, is the basis of lots
> > >> of flamey reactions.
> > >

cybercat
November 7th 06, 09:50 PM
"Debbie" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> My husband takes medication for his allergies but he was still
> suffering. There were days when he felt like he had cat hairs under
> his eyelids.
>
> I did not know how much until this morning. He knew I loved the cat
> and had liked the cat himself. Like I said before everyone's allergies
> are different. You are not in our situation and have no business
> criticizing.
>
> Maybe you should ask you husband how he feels. I have a feeling he is
> suffering silently so you can have the cats in the house like mine did.
>


Debbie, this is nonsense. There is *something* he can take that will address
his cat allergies. He has not even tried. Not even consulted with his
physician.

Come on, woman. He wants the cat out of the house because of the
inappropriate elimination.

The only reason you are getting **** from anyone is because it just hurts
to think about the cat getting returned. It is within your control to save
him
and give him a good home and you are choosing not to. It is you right, and
I am not flaming you for it, but it hurts to think about. It's nothing
personal.

Next time, just do it and don't tell us about it, but how can you tell us
and
demand nobody get upset? Half of us are allergic to cats and probably that
many have had cats with inappropriate elimination problems. Nobody here
fell of the f-ing turnip truck this morning.

If you care about this little cat, ask your husband to make an appointment
with his doctor to ask about other allergy medicines. There are MANY to
try.

cybercat
November 7th 06, 09:53 PM
"Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
> Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
> more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
> allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
> "throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.
>

I just had my face in Boo, to whom I am most allergic. Found her
snuggled on a guest room bed and could not resist loving on her.
Despite Claritin my eyes are running, my face is itchy, and I have
a tickle in my throat and feel wheezy. I will wash my face and it
will go away.

It's a question of how much you love cats, I guess. My old doctor
suggested I get rid of my cats, and when I looked shocked he said,
"well then just don't REPLACE them." When I looked appalled he
said "what? They all die eventually, right?"

I have a new doctor now. :)

He is allergic to cats and has two.

lol

My kind of doctor.

Debbie
November 7th 06, 09:55 PM
Believe me he has seen an allergist in the past and has been on all
kinds of medications (and not just for living with cats). You are not
in our situation and don't know about my husband's sensitivities to
many medications so it's not as easy as you describe.

I have also lived with cats even though I was allergic to them and have
successfully dealt with inappropriate elimination.


cybercat wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
> > My husband takes medication for his allergies but he was still
> > suffering. There were days when he felt like he had cat hairs under
> > his eyelids.
> >
> > I did not know how much until this morning. He knew I loved the cat
> > and had liked the cat himself. Like I said before everyone's allergies
> > are different. You are not in our situation and have no business
> > criticizing.
> >
> > Maybe you should ask you husband how he feels. I have a feeling he is
> > suffering silently so you can have the cats in the house like mine did.
> >
>
>
> Debbie, this is nonsense. There is *something* he can take that will address
> his cat allergies. He has not even tried. Not even consulted with his
> physician.
>
> Come on, woman. He wants the cat out of the house because of the
> inappropriate elimination.
>
> The only reason you are getting **** from anyone is because it just hurts
> to think about the cat getting returned. It is within your control to save
> him
> and give him a good home and you are choosing not to. It is you right, and
> I am not flaming you for it, but it hurts to think about. It's nothing
> personal.
>
> Next time, just do it and don't tell us about it, but how can you tell us
> and
> demand nobody get upset? Half of us are allergic to cats and probably that
> many have had cats with inappropriate elimination problems. Nobody here
> fell of the f-ing turnip truck this morning.
>
> If you care about this little cat, ask your husband to make an appointment
> with his doctor to ask about other allergy medicines. There are MANY to
> try.

Debbie
November 7th 06, 09:57 PM
I probably would do the same thing but my husband isn't me.



cybercat wrote:
> "Buddy's Mom" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I totally agree with Wendy. EVERYONE uses allergies as an excuse.
> > Seems as if this excuse just popped up and made getting rid of the cat
> > more feasable for you now that you have an excuse. I have been
> > allergic to cats all my life and sleep with a cat. How can you just
> > "throw away" a cat? Maybe it will be better off at the shelter.
> >
>
> I just had my face in Boo, to whom I am most allergic. Found her
> snuggled on a guest room bed and could not resist loving on her.
> Despite Claritin my eyes are running, my face is itchy, and I have
> a tickle in my throat and feel wheezy. I will wash my face and it
> will go away.
>
> It's a question of how much you love cats, I guess. My old doctor
> suggested I get rid of my cats, and when I looked shocked he said,
> "well then just don't REPLACE them." When I looked appalled he
> said "what? They all die eventually, right?"
>
> I have a new doctor now. :)
>
> He is allergic to cats and has two.
>
> lol
>
> My kind of doctor.

Darth Breather
November 8th 06, 10:56 AM
cybercat wrote:

> I just had my face in Boo, to whom I am most allergic. Found her
> snuggled on a guest room bed and could not resist loving on her.
> Despite Claritin my eyes are running, my face is itchy, and I have
> a tickle in my throat and feel wheezy. I will wash my face and it
> will go away.
>
> It's a question of how much you love cats, I guess.

It depnds ion yr situatn. Im allergic to cats which I didnt know until
we got one.Its a grate little cat. It livd with me a long time and the
allegy got worse. I got asthama which I dint have before. I cdnt pet
the cat exept thru a blanket or with socks on my hand. When it sat on
my lap I put a blanket and wrapt it like a burrito. It cdnt sleep with
me. But we managd. Now its gone to another of the famly and it sleeps
with them and its happy. I wd take this one back if it cant live there
any more. I miss it but wd never get another one. Claritin was useless.
I was puffng albuterol 3-4 times every day. sometimes more. I think for
me it cd be lifethreatening if I got a cat more allergenic than that
one.

Deborah Trujillo
November 8th 06, 02:23 PM
Tumbleweed is back until Friday. My husband is not an animal person so I've
been trying to keep the cat out of his way. I should have known better than
to try to bring a cat (or any pet for that matter) into this house -
however, when I was at the shelter I only looked at the gray tabby's because
that is is favorite kind, and this one let me hold him like a baby so I
figured he was mellow enough to live with John. John was also with me and
met him before we brought him home. John liked Tumbleweed until the
inappropriate elimination started - two of the areas where he pooped were
John's bathroom and the back bedroom where John works out (the latter was
right on the daybed) so he has taken this personally.

I slept in the living room with the cat last night as John was complaining
about the cat being in his face in the morning and he got mad at me for that
but later apologized. Even with his medication, he was suffering from
allergies really bad with the cat here. He said he had several times come
close to telling me these last couple months that he didn't know how much
longer he could live like this.

We had a cat when we lived in LA (I had her before we married) with whom he
got along beautifully. She was also very mellow and would get on his lap at
night. She was put down in 2003 when her cancer got really bad.

I don't think Tumbleweed was ever happy about being left alone during the
day while we were at work so maybe he can be adopted together with his
brother.


On 11/8/06 2:56 AM, in article
. com, "Darth Breather"
> wrote:

>
> cybercat wrote:
>
>> I just had my face in Boo, to whom I am most allergic. Found her
>> snuggled on a guest room bed and could not resist loving on her.
>> Despite Claritin my eyes are running, my face is itchy, and I have
>> a tickle in my throat and feel wheezy. I will wash my face and it
>> will go away.
>>
>> It's a question of how much you love cats, I guess.
>
> It depnds ion yr situatn. Im allergic to cats which I didnt know until
> we got one.Its a grate little cat. It livd with me a long time and the
> allegy got worse. I got asthama which I dint have before. I cdnt pet
> the cat exept thru a blanket or with socks on my hand. When it sat on
> my lap I put a blanket and wrapt it like a burrito. It cdnt sleep with
> me. But we managd. Now its gone to another of the famly and it sleeps
> with them and its happy. I wd take this one back if it cant live there
> any more. I miss it but wd never get another one. Claritin was useless.
> I was puffng albuterol 3-4 times every day. sometimes more. I think for
> me it cd be lifethreatening if I got a cat more allergenic than that
> one.
>

cybercat
November 8th 06, 03:39 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
...
> Tumbleweed is back until Friday. My husband is not an animal person so
> I've
> been trying to keep the cat out of his way. I should have known better
> than
> to try to bring a cat (or any pet for that matter) into this house -
> however, when I was at the shelter I only looked at the gray tabby's
> because
> that is is favorite kind, and this one let me hold him like a baby so I
> figured he was mellow enough to live with John. John was also with me and
> met him before we brought him home. John liked Tumbleweed until the
> inappropriate elimination started - two of the areas where he pooped were
> John's bathroom and the back bedroom where John works out (the latter was
> right on the daybed) so he has taken this personally.

I think you have a grip on the situation now. It is not his allergies. He is
just
not willing to do the loving thing. You are, and I commend you. As for John,
well, in my experience this type of behavior comes back to haunt one.

cybercat
November 8th 06, 03:43 PM
"Darth Breather" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>

>
> It depnds ion yr situatn. Im allergic to cats which I didnt know until
> we got one.Its a grate little cat. It livd with me a long time and the
> allegy got worse. I got asthama which I dint have before. I cdnt pet
> the cat exept thru a blanket or with socks on my hand. When it sat on
> my lap I put a blanket and wrapt it like a burrito. It cdnt sleep with
> me. But we managd. Now its gone to another of the famly and it sleeps
> with them and its happy. I wd take this one back if it cant live there
> any more. I miss it but wd never get another one. Claritin was useless.
> I was puffng albuterol 3-4 times every day. sometimes more. I think for
> me it cd be lifethreatening if I got a cat more allergenic than that
> one.
>

I have severe asthma also, and use albuterol. Granted, allergies are
worse for everyone. AND certain cats give me stronger allergic
reactions. Our tuxedo chokes me up in a second until I am
miserable, but I can sleep with our tabby.

The point is, (and Debbie admits) that it really is not the allergies, it
is the inapprpriate elimination that is sending Tumbleweed back to the
shelter.

Debbie
November 8th 06, 05:37 PM
cybercat wrote:
> "Darth Breather" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >
>
> >
> > It depnds ion yr situatn. Im allergic to cats which I didnt know until
> > we got one.Its a grate little cat. It livd with me a long time and the
> > allegy got worse. I got asthama which I dint have before. I cdnt pet
> > the cat exept thru a blanket or with socks on my hand. When it sat on
> > my lap I put a blanket and wrapt it like a burrito. It cdnt sleep with
> > me. But we managd. Now its gone to another of the famly and it sleeps
> > with them and its happy. I wd take this one back if it cant live there
> > any more. I miss it but wd never get another one. Claritin was useless.
> > I was puffng albuterol 3-4 times every day. sometimes more. I think for
> > me it cd be lifethreatening if I got a cat more allergenic than that
> > one.
> >
>
> I have severe asthma also, and use albuterol. Granted, allergies are
> worse for everyone. AND certain cats give me stronger allergic
> reactions. Our tuxedo chokes me up in a second until I am
> miserable, but I can sleep with our tabby.
>
My first husband was allergic to Siamese cats but not any other kind.
He was a cat lover like I am and had more patience for the cat we had
then who wouldn't use the box than I did (I didn't know any better
then).

> The point is, (and Debbie admits) that it really is not the allergies, it
> is the inapprpriate elimination that is sending Tumbleweed back to the
> shelter.

That certainly isn't my choice. I also am not admitting to sending him
back for the inappropriate elimination. My husband told me for the
first time yesterday that he had come close several times over these
past 2 months to telling me he didn't know how much longer Tumbleweed
could stay with us because he was really suffering with his allergies
despite his medication. Tumbleweed didn't get on his wrong side until
last Sunday he found the mess in his bathroom and the back bedroom
(after cleaning the rug up after him 3 times).

cybercat
November 8th 06, 05:43 PM
"Debbie" > wrote

>
>> The point is, (and Debbie admits) that it really is not the allergies, it
>> is the inapprpriate elimination that is sending Tumbleweed back to the
>> shelter.
>
> That certainly isn't my choice. I also am not admitting to sending him
> back for the inappropriate elimination. My husband told me for the
> first time yesterday that he had come close several times over these
> past 2 months to telling me he didn't know how much longer Tumbleweed
> could stay with us because he was really suffering with his allergies
> despite his medication. Tumbleweed didn't get on his wrong side until
> last Sunday he found the mess in his bathroom and the back bedroom
> (after cleaning the rug up after him 3 times).
>

I'm sorry, when you wrote this:

"Tumbleweed is back until Friday. My husband is not an animal person so
I've
been trying to keep the cat out of his way. I should have known better than
to try to bring a cat (or any pet for that matter) into this house -
however, when I was at the shelter I only looked at the gray tabby's because
that is is favorite kind, and this one let me hold him like a baby so I
figured he was mellow enough to live with John. John was also with me and
met him before we brought him home. John liked Tumbleweed until the
inappropriate elimination started - two of the areas where he pooped were
John's bathroom and the back bedroom where John works out (the latter was
right on the daybed) so he has taken this personally."

I misunderstood it to mean that you thought your husband was willing
to keep TW until the inappropriate elimination began. I did not say
anywhere that YOU want to give the cat up for that reason.

Debbie
November 8th 06, 07:19 PM
Sorry for my misunderstanding.
cybercat wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote
>
> >
> >> The point is, (and Debbie admits) that it really is not the allergies, it
> >> is the inapprpriate elimination that is sending Tumbleweed back to the
> >> shelter.
> >
> > That certainly isn't my choice. I also am not admitting to sending him
> > back for the inappropriate elimination. My husband told me for the
> > first time yesterday that he had come close several times over these
> > past 2 months to telling me he didn't know how much longer Tumbleweed
> > could stay with us because he was really suffering with his allergies
> > despite his medication. Tumbleweed didn't get on his wrong side until
> > last Sunday he found the mess in his bathroom and the back bedroom
> > (after cleaning the rug up after him 3 times).
> >
>
> I'm sorry, when you wrote this:
>
> "Tumbleweed is back until Friday. My husband is not an animal person so
> I've
> been trying to keep the cat out of his way. I should have known better than
> to try to bring a cat (or any pet for that matter) into this house -
> however, when I was at the shelter I only looked at the gray tabby's because
> that is is favorite kind, and this one let me hold him like a baby so I
> figured he was mellow enough to live with John. John was also with me and
> met him before we brought him home. John liked Tumbleweed until the
> inappropriate elimination started - two of the areas where he pooped were
> John's bathroom and the back bedroom where John works out (the latter was
> right on the daybed) so he has taken this personally."
>
> I misunderstood it to mean that you thought your husband was willing
> to keep TW until the inappropriate elimination began. I did not say
> anywhere that YOU want to give the cat up for that reason.

cybercat
November 8th 06, 09:02 PM
"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Sorry for my misunderstanding.


Debbie, I really wish there was a way to bring hubby around. I think you are
getting hurt
more than anyone, as you are attached to Tumbleweed. You're right, if he is
that cute
and personable, someone will probably have the patience to work with his
potty habits.

Debbie
November 8th 06, 09:43 PM
I think you are wrong there. Tumbleweed is being hurt the most as he
has lived with us for 2 months and 2 months is a long time to a young
cat. I am hurting because I hate to do this to him and yes, I am
attached to him. He certainly didn't ask for any of this. He has been
using the box for all his toilet needs since he came back last night so
I truly believe that was a passing thing. Many times in these last two
months I came home and found messes from him but think they were
because he had an attack of the runs (just from their appearance).

I talked to the woman in charge of cat adoptions at the shelter and she
said to bring his paperwork and that the earliest she can take him back
is tomorrow evening. I have copies of his medical records also. Donna,
who was in charge of the cats at that particular location, is on
vacation and has Tumbleweed's brother and mother living with her now
(the workers at this shelter take the animals home with them), so I
asked Elaine if Tumbleweed could also stay at Donna's house for now so
he can be reunited with his family. Elaine promised they would take
care of him.

There's no way I can bring hubby around (I sure wish there was). He
doesn't love animals like I do and I can't change that.

cybercat wrote:
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> > Sorry for my misunderstanding.
>
>
> Debbie, I really wish there was a way to bring hubby around. I think you are
> getting hurt
> more than anyone, as you are attached to Tumbleweed. You're right, if he is
> that cute
> and personable, someone will probably have the patience to work with his
> potty habits.

Gail
November 8th 06, 10:29 PM
Bring him back to the no kill shelter. Don't get another pet.
Gail
"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I think you are wrong there. Tumbleweed is being hurt the most as he
> has lived with us for 2 months and 2 months is a long time to a young
> cat. I am hurting because I hate to do this to him and yes, I am
> attached to him. He certainly didn't ask for any of this. He has been
> using the box for all his toilet needs since he came back last night so
> I truly believe that was a passing thing. Many times in these last two
> months I came home and found messes from him but think they were
> because he had an attack of the runs (just from their appearance).
>
> I talked to the woman in charge of cat adoptions at the shelter and she
> said to bring his paperwork and that the earliest she can take him back
> is tomorrow evening. I have copies of his medical records also. Donna,
> who was in charge of the cats at that particular location, is on
> vacation and has Tumbleweed's brother and mother living with her now
> (the workers at this shelter take the animals home with them), so I
> asked Elaine if Tumbleweed could also stay at Donna's house for now so
> he can be reunited with his family. Elaine promised they would take
> care of him.
>
> There's no way I can bring hubby around (I sure wish there was). He
> doesn't love animals like I do and I can't change that.
>
> cybercat wrote:
>> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>> oups.com...
>> > Sorry for my misunderstanding.
>>
>>
>> Debbie, I really wish there was a way to bring hubby around. I think you
>> are
>> getting hurt
>> more than anyone, as you are attached to Tumbleweed. You're right, if he
>> is
>> that cute
>> and personable, someone will probably have the patience to work with his
>> potty habits.
>

Debbie
November 8th 06, 10:32 PM
You haven't been reading my posts obviously. I already said I was
doing all this.


Gail wrote:
> Bring him back to the no kill shelter. Don't get another pet.
> Gail
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
> >I think you are wrong there. Tumbleweed is being hurt the most as he
> > has lived with us for 2 months and 2 months is a long time to a young
> > cat. I am hurting because I hate to do this to him and yes, I am
> > attached to him. He certainly didn't ask for any of this. He has been
> > using the box for all his toilet needs since he came back last night so
> > I truly believe that was a passing thing. Many times in these last two
> > months I came home and found messes from him but think they were
> > because he had an attack of the runs (just from their appearance).
> >
> > I talked to the woman in charge of cat adoptions at the shelter and she
> > said to bring his paperwork and that the earliest she can take him back
> > is tomorrow evening. I have copies of his medical records also. Donna,
> > who was in charge of the cats at that particular location, is on
> > vacation and has Tumbleweed's brother and mother living with her now
> > (the workers at this shelter take the animals home with them), so I
> > asked Elaine if Tumbleweed could also stay at Donna's house for now so
> > he can be reunited with his family. Elaine promised they would take
> > care of him.
> >
> > There's no way I can bring hubby around (I sure wish there was). He
> > doesn't love animals like I do and I can't change that.
> >
> > cybercat wrote:
> >> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> >> oups.com...
> >> > Sorry for my misunderstanding.
> >>
> >>
> >> Debbie, I really wish there was a way to bring hubby around. I think you
> >> are
> >> getting hurt
> >> more than anyone, as you are attached to Tumbleweed. You're right, if he
> >> is
> >> that cute
> >> and personable, someone will probably have the patience to work with his
> >> potty habits.
> >

cybercat
November 8th 06, 10:32 PM
"Debbie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I think you are wrong there. Tumbleweed is being hurt the most as he
> has lived with us for 2 months and 2 months is a long time to a young
> cat. I am hurting because I hate to do this to him and yes, I am
> attached to him. He certainly didn't ask for any of this. He has been
> using the box for all his toilet needs since he came back last night so
> I truly believe that was a passing thing.

Debbie, I honestly do not know how you can stand this. If my husband
even thought about doing this, he would know that getting rid of the
cat would not even be worth the many excruciating forms of pain that
would be in store for him after he made me do it. I would never, ever
forgive him.

Granted, I can be a bit radical.

Anyway, I feel sorry for you, and wish you could get him to change
his mind and give it another try. Change his medicines, etc. Good luck.
Poor little TW.

Gail
November 8th 06, 10:35 PM
I did read your posts. I was agreeing with you.
Gail
"Gail" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> Bring him back to the no kill shelter. Don't get another pet.
> Gail
> "Debbie" > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>>I think you are wrong there. Tumbleweed is being hurt the most as he
>> has lived with us for 2 months and 2 months is a long time to a young
>> cat. I am hurting because I hate to do this to him and yes, I am
>> attached to him. He certainly didn't ask for any of this. He has been
>> using the box for all his toilet needs since he came back last night so
>> I truly believe that was a passing thing. Many times in these last two
>> months I came home and found messes from him but think they were
>> because he had an attack of the runs (just from their appearance).
>>
>> I talked to the woman in charge of cat adoptions at the shelter and she
>> said to bring his paperwork and that the earliest she can take him back
>> is tomorrow evening. I have copies of his medical records also. Donna,
>> who was in charge of the cats at that particular location, is on
>> vacation and has Tumbleweed's brother and mother living with her now
>> (the workers at this shelter take the animals home with them), so I
>> asked Elaine if Tumbleweed could also stay at Donna's house for now so
>> he can be reunited with his family. Elaine promised they would take
>> care of him.
>>
>> There's no way I can bring hubby around (I sure wish there was). He
>> doesn't love animals like I do and I can't change that.
>>
>> cybercat wrote:
>>> "Debbie" > wrote in message
>>> oups.com...
>>> > Sorry for my misunderstanding.
>>>
>>>
>>> Debbie, I really wish there was a way to bring hubby around. I think you
>>> are
>>> getting hurt
>>> more than anyone, as you are attached to Tumbleweed. You're right, if he
>>> is
>>> that cute
>>> and personable, someone will probably have the patience to work with his
>>> potty habits.
>>
>
>

paws2 via CatKB.com
November 9th 06, 05:24 AM
Deborah Trujillo wrote:
>My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
>up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
>had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
>treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
>new box.
>
>I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
>and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
>separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
>staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
>location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>
>This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
>I don't have to do this alone.
>
>We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>
>I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
>think is best for all concerned.

I remember you well...deja vu. I don't buy much of what you are saying yet
again. In 2000, you also vowed never to have another animal while your
husband was alive - here we are again. Same words, just another kitty that
will suffer again at your hands. You had "Fussbudget", a healthy old cat
killed after having him less than 2 weeks because your abusive husband and
your other cat didn't like him and you couldn't be bothered to try to find
him a good permanent home. This time you want support from the group for
returning a kitty to the shelter after having him 2 months because your
husband who didn't like animals then and still doesn't doesn't want him
anymore. Enough of the lies and excuses Debbie. Take responsibility for your
actions for once in your life and stop making cats suffer because you can't
get your life together. Do what you want with your relationship, just keep
all animals out of your life. They deserve far better. Your household would
be on my Do Not Adopt Ever list. Wish that we had a universal registry. No
sympathy from me for you. For the poor animals that cross your path a huge
amount of empathy.

--
Message posted via CatKB.com
http://www.catkb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/cat-health/200611/1

Deborah Trujillo
November 9th 06, 02:00 PM
My husband was the one who brought the subject up this time. You may recall
that I had other cats as well as Fussbudget before with whom he got along.
In fact, we also had Natasha at the same time as Fussbudget and I only came
to the decision I did as a last resort (and I regretted it later). However,
we were in LA at the time. We are now in Las Vegas and both of us are more
sensitive since the move. The cat allergies are something that only came up
in these last 2 months with Tumbleweed. I told him last night that I wished
he would have said something sooner about the allergies but he said he had
also liked the cat and is also sad to be taking him back. I think I have
convinced him that the inappropriate elimination was caused either by the
discomfort from the cat's diarrhea or he didn't like the litter I was using.

I am not going to turn into a broken record. I admitted I made a mistake
trying to again bring a pet into this house and from now on will merely
volunteer my time in the shelter or check in on other people's pets in this
neighborhood as there are many people who go away for periods of time here.


On 11/8/06 9:24 PM, in article [email protected], "paws2 via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Deborah Trujillo wrote:
>> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
>> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
>> had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
>> treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
>> new box.
>>
>> I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
>> and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
>> separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
>> staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
>> location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>>
>> This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
>> I don't have to do this alone.
>>
>> We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>>
>> I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
>> think is best for all concerned.
>
> I remember you well...deja vu. I don't buy much of what you are saying yet
> again. In 2000, you also vowed never to have another animal while your
> husband was alive - here we are again. Same words, just another kitty that
> will suffer again at your hands. You had "Fussbudget", a healthy old cat
> killed after having him less than 2 weeks because your abusive husband and
> your other cat didn't like him and you couldn't be bothered to try to find
> him a good permanent home. This time you want support from the group for
> returning a kitty to the shelter after having him 2 months because your
> husband who didn't like animals then and still doesn't doesn't want him
> anymore. Enough of the lies and excuses Debbie. Take responsibility for your
> actions for once in your life and stop making cats suffer because you can't
> get your life together. Do what you want with your relationship, just keep
> all animals out of your life. They deserve far better. Your household would
> be on my Do Not Adopt Ever list. Wish that we had a universal registry. No
> sympathy from me for you. For the poor animals that cross your path a huge
> amount of empathy.

Deborah Trujillo
November 9th 06, 02:05 PM
If you will recall I had been trying for days to find this cat another home.
I was afraid he would die of a broken heart in a shelter at the time but
later regretted not putting him in the local no-kill one in LA. My nephew
could have taken him back when they came back to the states.

I did not want to bring that up again since it upsets this group but you are
the one who started this one. There will come a time when you'll have to
make the unpleasant decision about what to do with a pet that for whatever
reason you can't keep anymore and I hope your words come back to haunt you.
I have often found that when you criticize others you very often find
yourself in their shoes at some point.


On 11/8/06 9:24 PM, in article [email protected], "paws2 via CatKB.com"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> Deborah Trujillo wrote:
>> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
>> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
>> had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
>> treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
>> new box.
>>
>> I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
>> and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
>> separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
>> staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
>> location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>>
>> This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
>> I don't have to do this alone.
>>
>> We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>>
>> I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
>> think is best for all concerned.
>
> I remember you well...deja vu. I don't buy much of what you are saying yet
> again. In 2000, you also vowed never to have another animal while your
> husband was alive - here we are again. Same words, just another kitty that
> will suffer again at your hands. You had "Fussbudget", a healthy old cat
> killed after having him less than 2 weeks because your abusive husband and
> your other cat didn't like him and you couldn't be bothered to try to find
> him a good permanent home. This time you want support from the group for
> returning a kitty to the shelter after having him 2 months because your
> husband who didn't like animals then and still doesn't doesn't want him
> anymore. Enough of the lies and excuses Debbie. Take responsibility for your
> actions for once in your life and stop making cats suffer because you can't
> get your life together. Do what you want with your relationship, just keep
> all animals out of your life. They deserve far better. Your household would
> be on my Do Not Adopt Ever list. Wish that we had a universal registry. No
> sympathy from me for you. For the poor animals that cross your path a huge
> amount of empathy.

Deborah Trujillo
November 9th 06, 02:06 PM
Also, it wasn't Natasha who didn't like Fussbudget but rather the other way
around. He physically attacked her several times to a point where I had to
keep them separated and took over one of the litter boxes and wouldn't let
her use it.


On 11/9/06 6:05 AM, in article ,
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote:

> If you will recall I had been trying for days to find this cat another home.
> I was afraid he would die of a broken heart in a shelter at the time but
> later regretted not putting him in the local no-kill one in LA. My nephew
> could have taken him back when they came back to the states.
>
> I did not want to bring that up again since it upsets this group but you are
> the one who started this one. There will come a time when you'll have to
> make the unpleasant decision about what to do with a pet that for whatever
> reason you can't keep anymore and I hope your words come back to haunt you.
> I have often found that when you criticize others you very often find
> yourself in their shoes at some point.
>
>
> On 11/8/06 9:24 PM, in article [email protected], "paws2 via CatKB.com"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Deborah Trujillo wrote:
>>> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
>>> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
>>> had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
>>> treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
>>> new box.
>>>
>>> I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
>>> and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
>>> separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
>>> staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
>>> location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>>>
>>> This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
>>> I don't have to do this alone.
>>>
>>> We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>>>
>>> I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
>>> think is best for all concerned.
>>
>> I remember you well...deja vu. I don't buy much of what you are saying yet
>> again. In 2000, you also vowed never to have another animal while your
>> husband was alive - here we are again. Same words, just another kitty that
>> will suffer again at your hands. You had "Fussbudget", a healthy old cat
>> killed after having him less than 2 weeks because your abusive husband and
>> your other cat didn't like him and you couldn't be bothered to try to find
>> him a good permanent home. This time you want support from the group for
>> returning a kitty to the shelter after having him 2 months because your
>> husband who didn't like animals then and still doesn't doesn't want him
>> anymore. Enough of the lies and excuses Debbie. Take responsibility for your
>> actions for once in your life and stop making cats suffer because you can't
>> get your life together. Do what you want with your relationship, just keep
>> all animals out of your life. They deserve far better. Your household would
>> be on my Do Not Adopt Ever list. Wish that we had a universal registry. No
>> sympathy from me for you. For the poor animals that cross your path a huge
>> amount of empathy.
>

Wendy
November 9th 06, 02:37 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
...
> Also, it wasn't Natasha who didn't like Fussbudget but rather the other
> way
> around. He physically attacked her several times to a point where I had
> to
> keep them separated and took over one of the litter boxes and wouldn't let
> her use it.
>
>
This reply isn't for you as you aren't going to have to worry about
introducing cats but for others who might be reading this thread.

When introducing adult cats it's a big mistake to just put them together.
They need to be separated to begin with and the introduction needs to be
done gradually. The personalities of the individual cats involved will
dictate the pace but it's not inconceivable that they might not have even
laid eyes on each other 2 weeks into the introduction. Mary L has some
wonderful pictures illustrating her successful introduction of her two cats
and I'm sure many good tips can be found in a web search for introducing
cats.

If adopting from a rescue group or from someone who knows the personality of
the cat ask their advice on bringing the cat into your home and then try
following their suggestions. Some cats are shy or more 'sensitive' than
others and might need special care to introduce them to their new
environment. It's stressful on the cat to be re-homed in the best
circumstances and can be more stressful if the individual cat's temperament
isn't taken into account.

Deborah Trujillo
November 9th 06, 02:42 PM
I had initially separated them but not long enough I guess. I first got
Natasha and then a year and a half later rescued Rocky from an owner who
wasn't taking care of him. This was before I was married. I had to keep
them separated until Rocky's feline leukemia tests came back (2 days).
However, they had no trouble getting along - Natasha just made sure Rocky
knew the rules of the house.

I had Rocky for 8 years after that until I had him put down when he was
suffering too much from his bone cancer. Natasha was also diagnosed with
lymphoma several years later and was put down 2 years after that when it
became obvious that digestion was getting too painful for her.


On 11/9/06 6:37 AM, in article ,
"Wendy" > wrote:

>
> "Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
> ...
>> Also, it wasn't Natasha who didn't like Fussbudget but rather the other
>> way
>> around. He physically attacked her several times to a point where I had
>> to
>> keep them separated and took over one of the litter boxes and wouldn't let
>> her use it.
>>
>>
> This reply isn't for you as you aren't going to have to worry about
> introducing cats but for others who might be reading this thread.
>
> When introducing adult cats it's a big mistake to just put them together.
> They need to be separated to begin with and the introduction needs to be
> done gradually. The personalities of the individual cats involved will
> dictate the pace but it's not inconceivable that they might not have even
> laid eyes on each other 2 weeks into the introduction. Mary L has some
> wonderful pictures illustrating her successful introduction of her two cats
> and I'm sure many good tips can be found in a web search for introducing
> cats.
>
> If adopting from a rescue group or from someone who knows the personality of
> the cat ask their advice on bringing the cat into your home and then try
> following their suggestions. Some cats are shy or more 'sensitive' than
> others and might need special care to introduce them to their new
> environment. It's stressful on the cat to be re-homed in the best
> circumstances and can be more stressful if the individual cat's temperament
> isn't taken into account.
>
>

Debbie
November 9th 06, 04:56 PM
If you live in the Las Vegas area and would like to adopt a very nice
cat (and maybe his brother as well - they are both nice), Tumbleweed
will be at the PetSmart at Tropicana and Fort Apache. His name at the
Shelter had been Ooster and that is the name he will go by again.
There is a chance that Donna who is in charge of the cats at this
location might not be offering him for adoption again for a couple
weeks, as she will not be offering his brother Mike for another couple
weeks.

They both went through separation anxiety when Tumbleweed came to live
with us (although I didn't at the time realize that was what it was -
just was concerned he wasn't eating). I only learned about Mike's
separation anxiety last week.

Tumbleweed has a chip implant so you will only need to notify HomeAgain
(the shelter will have this information).

The name of the organization is Heaven Can Wait and the woman in charge
of cat adoptions is Elaine. The number is 702-227-5555.

MaryL
November 9th 06, 11:38 PM
"Deborah Trujillo" > wrote in message
...
>I had initially separated them but not long enough I guess. I first got
> Natasha and then a year and a half later rescued Rocky from an owner who
> wasn't taking care of him. This was before I was married. I had to keep
> them separated until Rocky's feline leukemia tests came back (2 days).
> However, they had no trouble getting along - Natasha just made sure Rocky
> knew the rules of the house.
>
> I had Rocky for 8 years after that until I had him put down when he was
> suffering too much from his bone cancer. Natasha was also diagnosed with
> lymphoma several years later and was put down 2 years after that when it
> became obvious that digestion was getting too painful for her.
>
>

I took approximately 6 weeks for the full introduction (that is, before I
left the two cats alone together when I was out of the house all day). I
did it in very slow, careful increments -- and their relationship is now
wonderful. It can be done in a shorter time than that in many cases, but it
is always better to take *more* time than to try to rush it and take too
little time.

Here are the pictures Wendy mentioned in her post. They are a "pictorial
history" of introducing Holly and Duffy. Incidentally, Holly had been my
little "black tornado" before this because she had always reacted violently
to any other cat in my presence, and Duffy is a blind kitty who was in a
shelter for several months before I adopted him. He is truly remarkable,
and the most lovable little guy imaginable. The two would not have blended
so well if I had just placed them together without this slow introductory
period.

Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

MaryL

Lynne
November 10th 06, 12:56 AM
on Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:38:40 GMT, "MaryL" -OUT-THE-
LITTER> wrote:

> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")

Thanks for posting these. The door cutout and screen are brilliant! And
following the photos in sequence was like reading a love story. <3

--
Lynne


"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our lives
with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb

MaryL
November 10th 06, 01:09 AM
"Lynne" > wrote in message
m...
> on Thu, 09 Nov 2006 23:38:40 GMT, "MaryL"
> -OUT-THE-
> LITTER> wrote:
>
>> Photos of Duffy and Holly: >'o'<
>> http://tinyurl.com/8y54 (Introducing Duffy to Holly)
>> http://tinyurl.com/8y56 (Duffy and Holly "settle in")
>
> Thanks for posting these. The door cutout and screen are brilliant! And
> following the photos in sequence was like reading a love story. <3
>
> --
> Lynne
>

Thanks! What a great description.

MaryL

mlbriggs
November 15th 06, 05:59 AM
On Tue, 07 Nov 2006 15:01:39 +0000, Deborah Trujillo wrote:

> My husband told me this morning that his allergies have really been acting
> up since Tumbleweed came to live with us. He didn't tell me before because I
> had loved the cat so much. I've had him at the vet's since yesterday to
> treat his diarrhea and find out of any physical causes of this. I bought a
> new box.
>
> I've decided it would be best to take him back to the shelter. It's no-kill
> and Tumbleweed is still young. I learned his brother went through some
> separation anxiety when we brought him home and wouldn't eat so he's been
> staying at the house of the woman running the adoptions for cats at this
> location. Maybe they'll be reunited.
>
> This is breaking my heart so I've told my husband he has to come with me so
> I don't have to do this alone.
>
> We're going out of town Friday but we'll take him back before we leave.
>
> I know I will probably get flamed for this decision but I'm doing what I
> think is best for all concerned.


Some people are just very allergic to cat dander. My son and one of his
kids are in this class. Perhaps a small dog could fill the void. But
then, again, he could be bothered by that too. I am allergic to dust
-- but just try to avoid that! MLB