PDA

View Full Version : canned tuna bad for cats?

kitkat via CatKB.com
November 8th 06, 12:08 AM
I've read conflicting evidence that canned tuna is bad for cats as it
encourages problems in the urinary tract.

I told the vet that I give my cat a tuna treat once a week or so and she said
that was fine but I never asked about day to day use.

anyone know anything about this?

that said - what "people food" is healthy for cats?

November 8th 06, 12:22 AM
"kitkat via CatKB.com" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]
> I've read conflicting evidence that canned tuna is bad for cats as it
> encourages problems in the urinary tract.
>
> I told the vet that I give my cat a tuna treat once a week or so and she
> said
> that was fine but I never asked about day to day use.
>
> anyone know anything about this?
>
> that said - what "people food" is healthy for cats?

Cats need taurine, which is not present in sufficient quanitity in most
human foods to suit their needs. If you fed your cat tuna all the time he
would go blind.

Why would you want to feed your animals anything but cat food?

Roby
November 8th 06, 01:36 AM
kitkat via CatKB.com wrote:

> I've read conflicting evidence that canned tuna is bad for cats as it
> encourages problems in the urinary tract.
>
> I told the vet that I give my cat a tuna treat once a week or so and she
> said that was fine but I never asked about day to day use.
>
> anyone know anything about this?
>
> that said - what "people food" is healthy for cats?

My neighbor fed canned tuna exclusively - got it for free, he said.
The cat became extremely overweight ... almost to the point of
having difficulty walking. He was also just crawling with fleas and
was too fat to groom himself. A bad life.

A little tuna is a treat. A lot is bad news.

Roby

Spot
November 8th 06, 03:15 AM
Also cat food that has tuna in it fed on a daily basis is not good for them
either. I had a cat who was loosing his hair due to eating too much cat
food with tuna. I cut it out of his diet all but twice a month. Even now I
don't feed my cats much fish.

Celeste

kitkat via CatKB.com
November 8th 06, 04:32 AM
as per the question why I occassionally give my cat tuna...

my vet said that I need to get more water in my cat's diet. unfortunately I
can't get him to eat ANY moist food - and I've tried many - except canned
tuna for which he'll eat even if I add a little water. He won't even eat
treats that are squishy. He is an exclusively dry food kind of guy.

I really don't give it to him more than once a week - honestly - and like a
I said my vet said that was alright - but I'll be sure not to give it to him
more than that based on what I've just read...it causes blindness!??!

jmc
November 8th 06, 09:00 AM
Suddenly, without warning, kitkat via CatKB.com exclaimed (08-Nov-06
1:02 PM):
> as per the question why I occassionally give my cat tuna...
>
> my vet said that I need to get more water in my cat's diet. unfortunately I
> can't get him to eat ANY moist food - and I've tried many - except canned
> tuna for which he'll eat even if I add a little water. He won't even eat
> treats that are squishy. He is an exclusively dry food kind of guy.
>
> I really don't give it to him more than once a week - honestly - and like a
> I said my vet said that was alright - but I'll be sure not to give it to him
> more than that based on what I've just read...it causes blindness!??!

You can do the reverse, which is what we do: We add more tuna to *our*
diet, always buy tuna in water, and Meep gets the water. She also loves
the water from salmon tins, but that looks a bit too oily for me, and so
far I haven't liked any of the tinned salmon I've tried.

jmc

kitkat via CatKB.com
November 8th 06, 03:28 PM
oh - just the water - not a bad idea - and I guess I'll be having tuna salad
for lunch!