PDA

View Full Version : More on Charlie

A&A's Mama
November 8th 06, 02:31 AM
Well, the good news is that Charlie took to his litter box great and
he's now pooping and peeing like a pro. So, cute to see him hop in and
out of it.

I don't know if I mentioned it in my previous post, but we adopted a
siamese mix a week prior to Charlie. His name was Blue and he was 4
mos. old. He died after 5 days with us. The shelter said it was an
upper respitory infection. They gathered that diagnosis from my
symptoms of a goopy eye and cough.

Charlie was only at the shelter less than 24 hrs. I bought him new food
and water bowls and washed out the litterbox with antibacterial soap.
My cousis is an animal control officer and she has been helping me. She
told me that respitory infections have a 10 day incubation period.

I noticed Charlie started with a sneeze last night. Now today he has a
clear, runny eye and now he has started with a runny nose. I am going
to call my vet ASAP in the AM for some antibiotics.

I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that Charlie will be OK
through the night and I am doing what's best by calling the vet as soon
as they open. I love this little guy so much. I can't stand another
heartbreak.

Thanks for listening.

P.S. We have come to the comclusion that Charlie *is* a ragdoll, not a
siamese/himalayan mix.

Megan & Charlie Cat

cybercat
November 8th 06, 02:44 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Well, the good news is that Charlie took to his litter box great and
> he's now pooping and peeing like a pro. So, cute to see him hop in and
> out of it.

Yay, Charlie!! I knew he could do it and I knew you would help him.

> I don't know if I mentioned it in my previous post, but we adopted a
> siamese mix a week prior to Charlie. His name was Blue and he was 4
> mos. old. He died after 5 days with us. The shelter said it was an
> upper respitory infection. They gathered that diagnosis from my
> symptoms of a goopy eye and cough.

oh, I'm so sorry, that must have been just awful.

> Charlie was only at the shelter less than 24 hrs. I bought him new food
> and water bowls and washed out the litterbox with antibacterial soap.
> My cousis is an animal control officer and she has been helping me. She
> told me that respitory infections have a 10 day incubation period.
>
> I noticed Charlie started with a sneeze last night. Now today he has a
> clear, runny eye and now he has started with a runny nose. I am going
> to call my vet ASAP in the AM for some antibiotics.
>
> I guess what I am looking for is reassurance that Charlie will be OK
> through the night and I am doing what's best by calling the vet as soon
> as they open. I love this little guy so much. I can't stand another
> heartbreak.

Megan, ask your vet about giving Charlie L-Lysine, an amino acid
that helps keep herpes at bay. Lots of cats have the virus dormant in
their system, and when it emerges they get runny eyes and sniffles.
(Stress triggers outbreaks and he has been through some, just due
to change.)

You can get it in a powder and add it to his food. Or maybe just
dip your lip in some. :D

November 8th 06, 05:30 AM
"A&A's Mama" > wrote:

>I noticed Charlie started with a sneeze last night. Now today he has a
>clear, runny eye and now he has started with a runny nose. I am going
>to call my vet ASAP in the AM for some antibiotics.

Has Charley had any recent vaccinations or neutering? The reason I ask
is that feral rescue I adopted (at ~9 weeks) started sneezing as soon
as I got him home. The vet called me back that night and said it just
occurred to him that a side effect of one the shots (I forgot which
one, heck it might have even been the anesthesia for his neutering) is
sneezing and sniffles and should clear up soon. He stopped about a day
later and has been fine ever since.

-mhd

Lynne
November 8th 06, 02:08 PM
on Wed, 08 Nov 2006 02:31:51 GMT, "A&A's Mama" >
wrote:

> I noticed Charlie started with a sneeze last night. Now today he has a
> clear, runny eye and now he has started with a runny nose. I am going
> to call my vet ASAP in the AM for some antibiotics.

My little kitten Levi came to me at the age of 4 weeks with very goopy
eyes and lots of sneezing as well as colorful discharge from his nose.
We put him on antibiotics, but within a day or so after finishing them,
the symptoms were back. He went on them again a week later for a longer
course, which cleared up the symptoms but they came back yet again within
a few days. We have concluded he has Feline Herpes. His symptoms come
and go (he is now about 14 weeks old). He seems to have near constant
outbreaks of herpes. The vet and I have decided to only treat the
symptoms when he shows signs of infection, especially in his eyes.
Overuse of antibiotics might cause antibiotic resistent infections and so
the vet has agreed to let me call in for prescriptions if and when he
appears to be developing an infection. I am also taking other measures
to help ease his symptoms, such as steaming up the bathroom for him once
a day, and keeping the house warm around the clock, and humidified as
much as possible (I used to have the heat set way down at night). I am
also adding L-lysine to his wet food.

My recommendation to you would be to treat his current infection(?) with
a full course of antibiotics, for 10 days. If the symptoms come back,
watch him closely before giving him another course. Specifically look
for labored breathing, eye goop, and/or green discharge from his nose.
The sneezing alone is not sufficient evidence of infection IMO, but if
his symptoms progress, don't delay getting him on antibiotics. Kittens
can deteriorate very quickly Of course you should discuss this with your
vet.

I hope Charlie is feeling better very soon!

--
Lynne

"Every once in a while, the tables are turned and we get to share our
lives with an animal who takes care of their human." - Tara, rpdb