PDA

View Full Version : Roaming Cat

Sophie
November 8th 06, 02:13 PM
I have a beautiful neutered 3 year old half Bengal boy called
Jefferson. He was let out from about 3 months old and after about a
year would often go off for 24 - 48 hours but would come home of his
own accord.

Back in April this year he went missing for 7 weeks and after putting
up posters we were called by a kind person who'd realised that he was
not a stray and was just lost. She'd started feeding him to try and
lure him in so that she could take him to a vets/pet rescue centre to
try and find his owners but had then seen our posters in the local
town. We went and collected him from her beautiful little late out in
the country 4 MILES away! He looked very well for being away for so
long and this was because he would happily let him self in her cat flap
and eat her cat's food and would do the same in the other residents
of the lane who had cat flaps.

We kept him in for a few weeks and then when we let him out would make
sure that after he's fed at night that our cat flap is locked so to
stop him wondering at night. But since this first time he has been
back up to the same country lane (4 miles away) about 7 times and every
time we have to go and collect him as he has never come home on his own
accord. There are 2 residents who call us when he turns up and both
have been instructed not to deliberately feed him (as we were advised
that this might be why he keeps going back there) and just to call us
and we'll come and get him.

Originally the residents were ok and would call us when he turned up,
but the last few times we've collected him they have not been happy.
He does not fight with the local cats but he does eat their food and he
'calls' which is obviously distressing the human residents.

When Jefferson is at home he is loving and sleeps on our laps and is
thoroughly spoilt. We give him treats every time he comes through the
cat flap to try and encourage him to come home. He usually stays at
home for about 3 weeks before he goes again. Every time we collect him
we keep him in for between one and two weeks and initially he's fine
but then he gets anxious and once has even escaped through a tiny
window to get out. He would not be happy as a house cat and our back
garden is not big enough for a cat run.

Just before this last time he went missing we started putting his
cat-flap on incoming only so once he'd been out in the morning he would
then be in for the rest of the day. But this still did not work and
we've just been called to say he is back up in the country lane and one
the resident who called said that we have to deal with him even if it
means re-homing him to another area.

What can we do and why is he continually roaming 4 miles? The area is
beautiful, with rolling fields and a stream which he likes to play in
but he is spoilt at home and when he's there seems to be very
contended. I also hate the thought of him travelling 4 miles up to
this lane. He has to cross a major A road and then I presume he goes
cross country but sooner or later he is going to have an accident.

I feel like a terrible parent and hate the thought of re-homing him but
maybe if we could find a nice farm or stables this would be preferable
to keeping him cooped up in our house where I know he would be
miserable if he was not aloud out.

I have spoken to vets, pet physiologists, missing animal bureaux's
but their only advice is to keep him in and to spoil him.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly received as I would only
re-home him as a last option but I don't think the residents will take
much more and I only want Jefferson to be happy.

Sophie

Gail
November 8th 06, 02:28 PM
KEEP HIM INSIDE AS THE VETS HAVE ADVISED YOU TO DO.
Gail
"Sophie" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> [...]
> but he is spoilt at home and when he's there seems to be very
> contended. I also hate the thought of him travelling 4 miles up to
> this lane. He has to cross a major A road and then I presume he goes
> cross country but sooner or later he is going to have an accident.
>
> I feel like a terrible parent and hate the thought of re-homing him but
> maybe if we could find a nice farm or stables this would be preferable
> to keeping him cooped up in our house where I know he would be
> miserable if he was not aloud out.
>
> I have spoken to vets, pet physiologists, missing animal bureaux's
> but their only advice is to keep him in and to spoil him.
>
> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly received as I would only
> re-home him as a last option but I don't think the residents will take
> much more and I only want Jefferson to be happy.

Lynne
November 8th 06, 02:30 PM
on Wed, 08 Nov 2006 14:13:35 GMT, "Sophie" >
wrote:

> He would not be happy as a house cat and our back
> garden is not big enough for a cat run.

I don't think rehoming him is the answer. He will very likely also roam
from his new home and could meet a tragic end. I'm sure you don't want
that to happen.

My advice is to keep him indoors. At first he won't like it, but he will
eventually adapt, especially if you give him interesting things to do
inside your home. Put up a cat tree in one room and another tall scratcher
in another. Get him lots of toys and catnip and play with him frequently.

I had a cat who was indoor/outdoor for 15 years. At that age, he developed
kidney disease and his diet had to be strictly controlled (especially with
regards to hunting). He cried to get out frequently for about a year, but
ultimately gave up. He was *very* happy indoors, though, and lived another
5 happy and healthy years. Your kitty will adjust, too. You just have to
be patient with him.

My current cats are indoor only and I do feel very strongly that it is best
for their longevity.

--
Lynne

meeee
November 8th 06, 10:57 PM
Hi Sophie; he will miss roaming; I have aneutered female ex-stray and I know
she misses roaming. However she is quite happy living indoors, and
'visiting' the garden with me. Unfortunately once they have begun to roam
there is nothing you can do. He is patrolling his 'territory' and going back
to a known food source. He will not stop and will eventually be killed by
roads or other animals. I used to have outdoor/indoor cats and not one,
though much loved and cared for, made it past 5. Not a good record. All my
cats are now indoors only. Setting up an outdoor run is not difficult; a
frame with chicken netting wired securely onto it and dug 1 foot into the
ground would give him some outdoor time and he would be safe/ You could
attach one end to the house, so he could go in and out a catdoor/window
whenever he wants. Let the grass grow inside it and he can 'hunt'. Bengals
are known for doing this and unless you keep him indoors he will be killed.
Re homing wont solve it either; he will still roam and in the country there
are the same, if not more, hazards for cats. If you want him to live to a
good, happy age, dont' sit on the fence any longer. Or you won't be left
with any options because it will be too late.

mlbriggs
November 9th 06, 07:19 PM
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 06:13:35 -0800, Sophie wrote:

> [...]
> but he is spoilt at home and when he's there seems to be very
> contended. I also hate the thought of him travelling 4 miles up to
> this lane. He has to cross a major A road and then I presume he goes
> cross country but sooner or later he is going to have an accident.
>
> I feel like a terrible parent and hate the thought of re-homing him but
> maybe if we could find a nice farm or stables this would be preferable
> to keeping him cooped up in our house where I know he would be
> miserable if he was not aloud out.
>
> I have spoken to vets, pet physiologists, missing animal bureaux's
> but their only advice is to keep him in and to spoil him.
>
> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly received as I would only
> re-home him as a last option but I don't think the residents will take
> much more and I only want Jefferson to be happy.

Tell him once and for all that he is a "house cat".