PDA

View Full Version : Astonishingly smelly poops

dgk
November 8th 06, 09:41 PM
Nipsy (big long haired boy about 3 years old) never has been very good
about covering his poop or ****. I generally end up doing it. The past
few weeks I've noticed that his poops are really getting stinky.
They've never been very pleasant but I'm pretty sure that it's getting
worse. Occasionally one is loose but that is rare; mostly they're
normal.

Espy and Nipsy eat the ProPlan Salmon and Rice (wet) since it's the
only wet food that they both seem to like. They also free feed dry
stuff (Royal Canin #32 seems very popular with them).

I've been giving them some of the ProPlan chicken since I'm trying to
get them off the fish diet and they seem to like it, but not as much
as the Salmon and Rice.

If it was Espy I'd take him to the vet just for a checkup, but Nipsy
is such a horror about going that I really don't want to cause him the
stress. It's like I'm putting him on the rack.

I called the vet a little while ago but they're both gone for the day.
Having had a cat with IBD I'm a bit gunshy about smelly poops,
although the IBD cat (Nico) didn't actually have particularly smelly
poops. I see no evidence of parasites although I know that some
wouldn't be seen with the naked eye. But I would think that Espy would
also have them if Nipsy did, and that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ok, so how many people wish that their cats would use the bathroom
spray can?

Gail
November 8th 06, 09:56 PM
Bring a stool sample in to be checked for parasites. That is the first step.
Gail
"dgk" > wrote in message
> Nipsy (big long haired boy about 3 years old) never has been very good
> about covering his poop or ****. I generally end up doing it. The past
> few weeks I've noticed that his poops are really getting stinky.
> They've never been very pleasant but I'm pretty sure that it's getting
> worse. Occasionally one is loose but that is rare; mostly they're
> normal.
>
> Espy and Nipsy eat the ProPlan Salmon and Rice (wet) since it's the
> only wet food that they both seem to like. They also free feed dry
> stuff (Royal Canin #32 seems very popular with them).
>
> I've been giving them some of the ProPlan chicken since I'm trying to
> get them off the fish diet and they seem to like it, but not as much
> as the Salmon and Rice.
>
> If it was Espy I'd take him to the vet just for a checkup, but Nipsy
> is such a horror about going that I really don't want to cause him the
> stress. It's like I'm putting him on the rack.
>
> I called the vet a little while ago but they're both gone for the day.
> Having had a cat with IBD I'm a bit gunshy about smelly poops,
> although the IBD cat (Nico) didn't actually have particularly smelly
> poops. I see no evidence of parasites although I know that some
> wouldn't be seen with the naked eye. But I would think that Espy would
> also have them if Nipsy did, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> Ok, so how many people wish that their cats would use the bathroom
> spray can?

mlbriggs
November 8th 06, 10:19 PM
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 16:41:58 -0500, dgk wrote:

> Nipsy (big long haired boy about 3 years old) never has been very good
> about covering his poop or ****. I generally end up doing it. The past
> few weeks I've noticed that his poops are really getting stinky.
> They've never been very pleasant but I'm pretty sure that it's getting
> worse. Occasionally one is loose but that is rare; mostly they're
> normal.
>
> Espy and Nipsy eat the ProPlan Salmon and Rice (wet) since it's the
> only wet food that they both seem to like. They also free feed dry
> stuff (Royal Canin #32 seems very popular with them).
>
> I've been giving them some of the ProPlan chicken since I'm trying to
> get them off the fish diet and they seem to like it, but not as much
> as the Salmon and Rice.
>
> If it was Espy I'd take him to the vet just for a checkup, but Nipsy
> is such a horror about going that I really don't want to cause him the
> stress. It's like I'm putting him on the rack.
>
> I called the vet a little while ago but they're both gone for the day.
> Having had a cat with IBD I'm a bit gunshy about smelly poops,
> although the IBD cat (Nico) didn't actually have particularly smelly
> poops. I see no evidence of parasites although I know that some
> wouldn't be seen with the naked eye. But I would think that Espy would
> also have them if Nipsy did, and that doesn't seem to be the case.
>
> Ok, so how many people wish that their cats would use the bathroom
> spray can?

I keep an air cleaner running in the cat's bathroom all the time. I also
use Glade air fresheners in there. It is not perfect but it does help.
MLB

dgk
November 9th 06, 09:25 PM
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:56:31 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>Bring a stool sample in to be checked for parasites. That is the first step.
>Gail
>"dgk" > wrote in message

I just walked into the bathroom and it was obvious that Nipsy had
pooped recently (he's in my lap right now). It was pretty runny so I
scooped some into a used food can and brought it to the vet. I'm also
off from work tomorrow so I made an appointment for 9:30 am. The
weeping and wailing will begin promptly at 9:15 when I plop him in the
carrier. We've never managed to get blood from this boy for any tests;
I think it's time that we do so. I think a chem screen and cbc is in
order, but I guess I should let the vet decide. Whatever, it won't be
cheap.

dgk
November 10th 06, 04:17 PM
On Wed, 08 Nov 2006 21:56:31 GMT, "Gail" > wrote:

>Bring a stool sample in to be checked for parasites. That is the first step.
>Gail
>"dgk" > wrote in message

Vet appointment is over. No parasites (I would have been surprised if
otherwise). I almost wish he did have some so we could treat it and
get over it.

Instead, Nipsy was injected with a fairly long-acting steroid called
Vetalog, and because of the decreased immune response that steroids
cause, he was also injected with Penicillin and I have to give him
Albon (another antibiotic) by mouth for five days.

The vet thinks that the smelly poops are a very mild IBD type of thing
or a food allergy, and expects the steroid to knock it down. That
seems reasonable. He thinks I should try a different food. I'm working
on that anyway since they mostly eat fish stuff and I want to get them
off that.

Glad I took him in; at least I know that I've done what I can.

meeee
November 10th 06, 11:13 PM
I'm very glad it was a simple solution :) hoep he's better (and less stinky)
very soon!